I had a bit of a block in my writing last week and tried a few different approaches to see what would happen. This one wasn't anything odd, but just kind of popped up in the middle of my experiments. I got out my electric 12 string guitar and turned on a bunch of pedals to try to get some spacey sounds. I started putting my fingers down at random and started working on the different 'chord' combinations that sounded cool. I had not idea what most of the chords in this song were, and that made figuring out a bass part interesting, lol.
I actually wasn't very happy with the song after I had written and recorded the first guitar. I added a second (6-string) playing the same part for the other side, then added the 12 string acoustic in the middle, once again playing the same thing. It was definitely getting bigger, but I set it aside for a day or so.
When I came back, I decided to push record and play three passes on electric guitar with my EBow. I took out the bits that sounded bad, fading in and out of the parts that sounded good, and placed them on the left/right and middle. I worked out a drum part, and had to do a one-take recording, since @guatecoop and his family were coming (but it worked out fine). The song was really taking shape!!
I added my Roland String Synth to the bridge section along with some chorus bass. Then i finished it off with some super fuzzy bass. I like it - it's HUGE. 😀
Agile Harm 3 - electric 12 string
Tacoma DM912 acoustic 12 string
Fender Jazz bass
1970's Roland RS-202 String Synth
Early 1970's Ludwig Hollywood drum kit