Song infidelity (melody & harmony)

Skip to the bottom

• @tiller2  5 weeks

In a given song, do your verses and choruses remain true and consistent throughout? Or do they wander into other melodies and cheat on harmonies--and even stray into lyrical or rhyme-pattern variations?

I remember a Pat Pattison video, where he advised a songwriter to alter slightly the melody on one verse to fit better with the lyric. And I find myself, when performing, to take great liberties with my verse melodies... But do those wanderings break faith with the careful listener? Interested in your thoughts.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  5 weeks

I think those wanderings are what keep many songs INTERESTING. 😀

There's a time and a place for a pure stick-to-the-melody-and-do-not-alter-its-path"...but I find more often than not that it's a GOOD thing to change it up as you go.

#2cents

• @oldlostjohn  5 weeks

I generally don't really write melodies for lead vocal. As an acoustic singer/songwriter I want the lines to come out as natural as possible, or should I say close to how I would speak though in a musical way, not really spoken. So the phrasing and melody may change from verse to verse according to what the words are saying. And I actually find myself trying to avoid choruses and obvious hooks more and more.

• @wobbiewobbit  5 weeks

i think i more or less stick to the bones of it but around that i think i vary a lot. it kinda forms around the chords and i don't think to hard about it and sticking to the actual melody - it varies according to the lyrics.

• @lvgd09  5 weeks

Sorry, @stevenwesleyguiles I just accidentally reported you. Purely an accident and I apologize for the screw-up.

• @johnstaples  5 weeks

I tend to use a formulaic approach so I generally try to keep verse melody consistent from verse to verse. Ditto for chorus melody.

I do try and introduce variations, especially in the chorus, as the song progresses. Things like adding instruments or harmony vocals. Generally trying to build the song to its peak. But I would not typically intentionally vary the melodies. (That's what the bridge is for!)

• @lvgd09  5 weeks

I think overall I stay true to the melody. I do have a bad habit of writing the melody while recording. I think my songs would be "better" if I am clear what my melody is and I stay consistent throughout. That said, drifting into different keys and poor chord arrangement leads me to some interesting variations which sometimes turn out to be keepers. My point is though it was created on the fly and not a plan. I like plans.

• @tawny249  5 weeks

Given that I really like bridges, two-line asides, etc., I would say I tend to stay close from verse to verse but have some variation in between. I've written some songs that are just verses and chorus, but I don't repeat choruses NEARLY as often as I used to, because it just gets boring after a while, at least to me. That said, I am a sucker for catchy choruses in some genres, like symphonic metal. I don't tend to write straight-up metal though, so it doesn't come out as often in my stuff.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  5 weeks

@lvgd09 LOL. No worries. There are only a few buttons to push. It happens to the best of us. 😀

For fun, I like to report @ericdistad for stuff.
    Like, I'll report him for being TOO AWESOME.

• @aesthetic72  5 weeks

My process might be unorthodox. I usually write the music or some of the music first. Then I'll run takes on a vox track in Logic over and over and just scat sounds and free associate words until something emerges. The music tells me what the song is supposed to be about. There could be a phrase or a hook or something that comes out that forms the foundation of the song. I have a habit of playing with words more than melody variation, tho I seem to apply vocal inflections without meaning to, so that might count.

When I sit down to write the entire song, I like to keep my rhyme scheme the same. I also really like creating a mirror image effect or a before and after with the lyrics by swapping ideas with the first. Hard to explain, and I don't think I do it on purpose, but I've noticed that I do that a lot.

I really should apply more structure to my songwriting process. It would probably result in music that sounds more like an album. But I love creating in this way so I don't wanna.

• @ayehahmur  5 weeks

I live in fear of a song getting samey, even from one verse line to the next, so I'm more than likely to vary the melody as a song progresses.
    On a related note, when I play songs live I never play them the same way twice... it's almost like the song is a guideline rather than a something set in stone. And I like that about it.

• @tiller2  5 weeks

This discussion is interesting and useful. Thanks, all!

• @paulhenry  5 weeks

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of mediocre minds." -R. W. Emerson

• @andygetch  5 weeks

whatever serves the song

• @klaus  5 weeks

With my songs, I usually do the melody and chords first, then fit the words to the melody.

I can't think of any musical reason to change the melody for the second verse ( because I like my melodies ) but if I changed it for some reason, and it would sound better than the first verse melody, I'd then use it for the first verse too. 😀

The same melody in each verse has its benefits. It's easier to remember for the singer and the listener. Also, the lyrics are easier to hear and understand for the listener. After the symmetry is in place in the first two verses you can then break the symmetry in the third verse to emphasize a certain word or for some other expressive reason, making it a deliberate decision.

The downside is that fitting the words to melody takes time and can lead to padding. That hard work, strict discipline and self-imposed restrictions are not for everybody.

Yes, I try my best to stay true and faithful.

• @alamous 5 weeks

I'll propably find my self keeping the big ideas behind the melody, so the tonality and "important" notes will probly stay the same, but the phrasing will change depending on the lyrics and there will be small differences in the melody. The kinda stuff that, for me, makes a decent verse a good one 😁

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...