Is the number of fawmers down this year, or is this typical?

Skip to the bottom

• @guatecoop  Jan 16

Maybe I have been on the site earlier than usual, but it seems as though there are not as many fawmers this year. There are about 80 fawmlings so far, which will certainly grow, but the total number of us is under 600 at the moment. Seems low to me. Is it?

• @metalfoot  Jan 16

This is pretty typical, I think. It's still 2 weeks out from FAWM and the community's already blooming to life!

• @alonetogether Jan 16

i know i just remembered this existed like yesterday and im sure thats the case for a lot of people too so it should start getting busier right away

• @stephenwordsmith Jan 16

I'm not sure how the 'FAWMers' are counted before the challenge begins. Looking at the list, the older names are all well-established participants with profile pictures. There's clearly been an effluxion of inactive/obsolete accounts (which used to show up with a number and the default profile image), but I don't know what prompts an account to show up in the list, given the number of active participants is usually over a thousand.

• @hummingbear  Jan 16

There seems to be quite a number of "regulars" missing. I've looked for several names that aren't showing up yet.

• @tesla3090  Jan 16

Wikipedia stops recording in 2012, but that year lists 1325 active fawmers. So it may be a bit down, but we still have a few weeks to go for some of the other regulars to check in.

• @andygetch  Jan 16

Ask again in two weeks 😀

• @bootlegger Jan 16

I used to not start checking the site until a few days before. It's only recent for me to be kind of obsessed with FAWM the way I am now. So I think we'll see more people closer to the start date.

• @ustaknow Jan 16

It's a great question, observation. I don't think I've seen this many folks "care", or Forum about it; here and 5090, -- but, I'm not an "old" member.

I wait until after the first 5 days or so since many do not start at all until the first day, or week, no "pre" stuff, or work, -- as I understand it, them.

What I do is look at the ID's with 1 or more Songs, and count them as "participating"; and then Forums, other, for "active participation". There are many, and it changes on how folks feel that year who may post only one or two songs, yet are very active and supportive; and then may at the end, or post FAWM get hit by a Wave of inspiration (then look to FAWM at "https://www.facebook.com/groups/fawmr..." for output, possibly).

For the time I've been counting, only in general numbers, there seems to always be about 250 or so, ish that are really engaged. Then maybe 20 or so who never stop, participate in many other songwriting groups, projects and will usually remember to let others know if care to engage that as well.

But, that's just what I've generally observed.

There are many one off one time only folks it seems and never see them again, -- a pity since I stay in touch, but they just have all the other music stuff going on, it seems, life, other.

I think there's a fine line between music only and with "social media" which can get "challenging", so to speak.

• @haim  Jan 16

@bootlegger haha same for me lol. Can't wait!

• @aeye Jan 16

Forums usually are a small sample size of the actual community that takes part in things. I know on other website while there was usually an active group in the forums there were a TON more folks who would be taking part in just making music without posting.

• @helenseviltwin  Jan 16

@stephenwordsmith - my understanding is that a few years ago the site was reset and the ones with numbers instead of names are the ones that were not claimed after the reset.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...