Annual 4-Track Cassette Challenge!!

Skip to the bottom

• @zecoop  6 weeks

Oops, I think my instructions got erased...

A growing number of brave souls go OLD-school each FAWM to write a songs by recording one part onto cassette tape. The physical tape is then mailed through the post, to the next person on the list, who adds one part and sends it on to the next person. The last person mixes the four tracks and uploads the song. The results have been amazing.

If you have a functional 4-track cassette tape player speak up!! Interested in joining the fun? Contact @zecoop

Some additional info:
    We try to make it as universal as possible, so all tapes are recorded at standard speed (not 2X, if possible) and without noise-reduction, since not all players have these features. Of course, not all players play at the same speed either, so there are always some unexpected sounds and effects. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  6 weeks

Tape 1:
    1- @zecoop
    2-@standup
    3-@pfoo
    4-@eargoggle <
    Tape 2:
    1- @zecoop - acoustic guitar
    2-@nancyrost - vocals and lyrics >
    3-@cts
    4- @elesimo
    Tape 3 (UK-US lost tape) DONE
    1- @marvsmooth
    2-@zecoop
    3- @guatecoop
    4-@burrsettles
    Tape 4 (lost tape 2)
    1- @marvsmooth
    2-@vomvorton
    3-@wobbiewobbit
    4- @fourzeroes
    Tape 5:
    1- @vomvorton
    2-@wobbiewobbit
    3- @fourzeroes
    4- @marvsmooth
    Tape 6:
    1- @vomvorton
    2-@rollasoc
    3- @wobbiewobbit
    4- @marvsmooth
    Tape 7: DONE
    1- @elesimo
    2-@stevenwesleyguiles
    3- @nancyrost >
    4-@standup
    Tape 8:
    1- @standup
    2-@pfoo
    3-@guatecoop - drums >
    4-@zecoop
    Tape 9 DONE
    1- @pfoo
    2-@standup
    3-@pearlmanhattan
    4- @stevenwesleyguiles
    Tape 10
    1- @pearlmanhattan
    2-@elesimo
    3- @zecoop
    4- @standup
    Tape 11
    1- @nancyrost - dulcimer
    2-@cts <-
    3-
    4- @zecoop
    Tape 12
    1- @stevenwesleyguiles
    2-@zecoop
    3-@elesimo
    4-@standup/@pfoo
    Tape 13 DONE
    1- @guatecoop
    2-@pfoo
    3-@standup - bass
    4-@burrsettles
    Tape 14:
    1- @metalfoot
    2-@nancyrost >
    3-@pearlmanhattan
    4- ZeCoop Drums
    Tape 15 DONE
    1- @marvsmooth
    2-@vomvorton
    3-@zecoop
    4-@eargoggle
    Tape 16 (carryover from 5090, marvsmooth to complete) done
    1 - @nancyrost (u-bass)
    2 - @owl (guitar, vocals, lyrics)
    3 - @Elesimo (whistle) and @cnidaria (woohs and aaahs)
    4 - @marvsmooth
    Tape 17 "Weird" done
    1- pfoo - drums
    2- standup - kalimbatron
    3- nancyrost - airplane and cup
    4 -elesimo <

Tape 18 WEIRD DONE
    1 - nancyrost
    2 - @marvsmooth <
    3- @vomvorton
    4 - nancyrost (recorded - track 3 person finishes)

• @fourtracktape 6 weeks

More tapes:

TBD

• @vomvorton  6 weeks

Count me in for another year!

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

If I can borrow my neighbour's 4-track machine (or 3 track as it were!) I'll be in this. I have a couple weeks to find out...

• @zecoop  6 weeks

I have one tape already to start... It's a tape from @marvsmooth that didn't arrive in time last year with bass guitar on it. That'll be tape 1. πŸ˜€

• @standup  6 weeks

We're in!

• @cts  6 weeks

And you KNOW I’m down for it!

• @nancyrost  6 weeks

I'm in again. I even excavated some ancient Type II cassettes a couple weeks ago.

• @guatecoop  6 weeks

I’m in!

• @rollasoc  6 weeks

I'm in. (not that I have heard the song I played on 3 years ago yet...)

• @zecoop  6 weeks

@rollasoc - any idea who was on the tape? There haven't been that many tapes that got lost in the shuffle, but I can try to track it down.

• @pearlmanhattan  6 weeks

I'm in, I still have three tape @elesimo sent me for 50/90 (sorry I dropped the ball on that one. I will start something on it after the 1st.

• @rollasoc  6 weeks

@zecoop @marvsmooth started the tape. I sent it to someone in America. I'd imagine it got back to Marsmooth at some point. I just haven't heard the completed tune. Thinking about it, it might not be a FAWM challenge, but a 4 track challenge on Facebook..... I can't remember. I'm getting old.

• @elesimo  6 weeks

I'm so in!

@pearlmanhattan some time after I sent you that tape I noticed my 4-track is not recording on track 1. Did you ever get the chance to listen to the tape? I think I listened to it before sending you the tape, and I have the habit of recording all the tracks to my computer before mailing the tape, in case it gets lost, but I just wanted to confirm.

@marvsmooth did you ever get the other tape from 50-90? I sent it in December.

• @gubna 6 weeks

I could only do this with a standard cassette recorder as I don’t own a 4track anymore. Would that even make sense? I could slow it down and loop it. As a strange piece?

• @elesimo  6 weeks

@gubna I think you might be able to start a tape with a standard cassette recorder. Record something on one side, and only one of the channels (either left or right). I wouldn't worry about slowing it down, we use normal speed for the collaborations.

I'd be willing to take track 2 on that tape! πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  6 weeks

@elesimo - yes I got it, and I'm holding it until February the 1st, when I'll finish it and post it up on here.

I'm sorry, I should have let you know my friend πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  6 weeks

I'm always up for four-track challenges, but on standard speed, as I don't own a multi-speed recorder, just standard four-track tape.

Tape two will be one I from @elesimo this month, which was from 5090 last year. Just my track to add I think.

• @elesimo  6 weeks

@marvsmooth the tape has:

Track 1 - @nancyrost (u-bass)
    Track 2 - @owl (guitar, vocals, lyrics)
    Track 3 - @Elesimo (whistle) and @cnidaria (woohs and aaahs)
    Track 4 - @marvsmooth

• @wobbiewobbit  5 weeks

i have a tape from last year that i haven't listened to yet - it is 2019 tape 20 with synth from @marvsmooth and "ominous bass" from @vomvorton count me in on for more!

• @eberts0604 5 weeks

Sorry. Did that 40 years ago. Time to move on.

• @zecoop  5 weeks

Thanks for your thoughts @eberts0604 - Most people around here like to see other people create however they want to create. Hope you enjoy FAWM however you want to.

• @wobbiewobbit  5 weeks

@eberts0604 that is one of the things I love about this challenge - it is so oldschool! I used to use a 4track too back in the day and going back to it now after using a computer highlights what I now take for granted and what a different mindset it is that the process of using a tape to record creates. That, and I think it is cool that each person takes a track and the tape gets sent in the mail sometimes round the planet. enjoy your first FAWM

• @stevenwesleyguiles  5 weeks

I'm in.

• @guatecoop  5 weeks

@eberts0604 for your first FAWM, I certainly encourage you to stick to what you feel comfortable withβ€”your comfort zone and preferences. This challenge is unique and is not required by any means, as it calls for each person to collaborate, coordinate, and cooperate with people from far away places and styles. The results are unpredictable and intriguing. Enjoy your first fawm!

• @burrsettles  5 weeks

I'm in for at least one. Again a preference for being track 4 at the end of a chain....

• @elesimo  5 weeks

@zecoop I'm planning to start a tape! And hoping to do at least 4 tapes overall, one in each track.

Anyone interested if I made this into a sticker?

Anyone interested in a sticker like this if I can get it made?

• @elesimo  5 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles oh yes, I'll take a bunch!

@elesimo working with my sticker guy as we type. πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  5 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles - yes please πŸ˜€

@marvsmooth Ok. Imma get 50-100 made (because I think that's the minimum I can get made).

@zecoop On an unrelated note, but actually TOTALLY related, how are we grouping up for this? I'm down to be with anybody.

• @zecoop  5 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles - I'm going to get a plan together this weekend, but need to hear who is actually in. We still have some folks from past years that I have not heard from. It also depends who has tapes and wants to start one. It isn't really a set in stone type of thing, and usually is pretty open. As the admin I try to spread out the contributors so we have a good variety and one person isn't on every tape. That can't happen too much in reality, anyway, just because of the timing.

But more to come soon!

• @zecoop  5 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles - The sticker is dope, btw... Love it! πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

Happy to start one or two, definitely keen to feature in later slots on another couple.

Can I be on a tape after @stevenwesleyguiles please so that I can get a sticker in the envelope too? πŸ˜‰

• @metalfoot  5 weeks

I'm willing to start one. πŸ˜€

• @metalfoot  5 weeks

I want one of the @stevenwesleyguiles stickers!!!

• @rollasoc  5 weeks

I was thinking I might start one... Need to dig my Porta 02 out at the weekend. (the Porta 07 is currently set up).

• @zecoop  5 weeks

@rollasoc - The more we get started at the beginning the better! We haven't had many get lost in the mailing shuffle, but the post office doesn't always come through as expected. We usually have some that stay in Europe and some that cross the ocean - ones that are skipping continents need to get started FAST or they won't make it in time. πŸ˜‰

• @pfoo  5 weeks

@standup and I can start two tapes the first weekend and get them in the mail.

• @zecoop  5 weeks

@standup / @pfoo - you two always rock it and always are one of the cornerstones to this adventure. Thank you both!!!

• @cynthiawolff  5 weeks

have too much going on this year to participate ..
    Will be watching and listening!!

• @alboe 4 weeks

Hi @zecoop ,
    No 4-track challenge for me this year.
    Hadn’t used my 4-track since Fawm 2018 and needed to listen to a tape last month but to my surprise within those two years it had decided to stop working.
    Maybe next year if I get it repaired or find a cheap second hand one.
    I’ll keep a keen eye on what you guys will be producing nevertheless, have fun.

• @zecoop  4 weeks

@alboe - no worries, I’m just glad you are here! 🎢❀️🎡

• @marvsmooth  4 weeks

I can try to start one on the first weekend between night shifts, then post it abroad on Monday the 3rd?

• @zecoop  4 weeks

@marvmooth will be starting one. (UK to US?)
    @zecoop will be starting two (US)
    @metalfoot is starting one (Canada to ?)
    @vomvorton is starting two (UK)
    @elesimo is starting one (US)
    @gubna - starting one? (UK)
    @standup and @pfoo starting one or two? (US)
    @guatecoop starting one? (US)
    @pearlmanhattan is starting one (US)
    @nancyrost is starting one
    @stevenwesleyguiles is starting one

Anyone else?

• @marvsmooth  4 weeks

We need to get the line-up’s sorted then, so that those of us starting on day one or two know where we’re posting them off to?

I think that’s thirteen tapes then, including the holdovers from 50-90?

• @pearlmanhattan  4 weeks

@zecoop I can start one, US, mail to us only.

• @nancyrost  4 weeks

@zecoop I will start one.

There's also one I started last 5090 that will be getting finished by @marvsmooth this FAWM.

• @vomvorton  4 weeks

Yep I'll try to get two started on the first weekend and have them ready for posting on Monday 3rd, so if we can plan out the first set of recipients then that'd be cool!

• @zecoop  4 weeks

Yep, getting a plan together is my plan. I just needed to know who was starting so I knew what tapes to list. πŸ˜€

@pearlmanhattan - Got it... πŸ˜€

• @guatecoop  4 weeks

@zecoop Yes, I will start one.

• @marvsmooth  4 weeks

I’m open for whatever anyone wants me to do on this challenge, even if it’s eating carrots or tearing insulation tape off of a microphone!

• @stevenwesleyguiles  4 weeks

I will start one.
    Tag me if you wanna join. πŸ˜€

• @standup  4 weeks

Our plan is to start a couple of cassettes this weekend. Maybe one drums/bass, one drums/guitar? Or some synth noodles? With a side of something or other?

• @zecoop  4 weeks

Got it marked up above in the list - Thanks @standup and @stevenwesleyguiles πŸ˜€

• @wobbiewobbit  4 weeks

there is the one i have from last year with synth from @marvsmooth and "ominous bass" from @vomvorton

• @zecoop  4 weeks

@wobbiewobbit - Adding now! Who was first? (doesn't matter, but I'm curious)

• @wobbiewobbit  4 weeks

@zecoop - @marvsmooth was track 1

• @nancyrost  4 weeks

I'll do a Track 2 on one and a Track 3 on another for sure, if anyone wants to plan ahead to get tapes to me.

• @elesimo  4 weeks

I'd also like to take a track 2 (and a 3... and a 4). Feel free to add me as needed, @zecoop.

• @zecoop  4 weeks

@nancyrost and @elesimo - Great - I'm going to put some names on this list for the track two folks soon. πŸ˜€

PS - Hey Four Trackers! I made a sticker.
    And you can get one for free (minus the cost to you for an SASE to yours truly. Linky: https://fawm.org/forums/topic/9973/

• @pfoo  4 weeks

I'd like to do a few additional tracks in slots 2 or 3. I'll leave the mixing to others - but in a pinch I can do track 4 and have @standup help me. He and I don't always need to be on the same tapes, but if it helps with mailing (running out of time!) we can certainly do that.

Oh shoot! I guess I don't know how this works.
    Am I supposed to get people to join my tape?
    I've always been the person GETTING the tape.

@nancyrost ? @zecoop ? @pfoo?
    Honestly, I would be fine joining some else's.
    I'm such a newb on the 4 track...hella noob.

• @zecoop  4 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles - I usually assign names at first to get it moving, but if people want specific tapes we can do that. I just want to have people spread out as much as possible. You don't have to find people for your tape. πŸ˜€

@zecoop Ok. Just worried I would be part of a logjam. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  4 weeks

OK everyone - I updated the tape list up above, by randomly putting in people and trying my hardest to get everyone's requests in. Take a look and see where the tapes are headed.

If you have never sent me your address, please do so at zecoop at yahoo. If you do not have the address of the person you are sending the tape to, you can either get it from them or get it from me. There isn't a public address file, since we want to preserve people's privacy. πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  4 weeks

Thanks, @zecoop!

• @marvsmooth  4 weeks

So, how many tapes am I starting? *scratches head*

• @zecoop  4 weeks

@marvsmooth - One so far (Tape 15). The other two are previously started tapes that you already did. Let me know if you want to start more, though... πŸ˜€

• @standup  4 weeks

I really like being #4 on these tapes and getting to mix. Tape 7 might be fun -- Add me as #4, and I'll talk to @pfoo, maybe we could both do a track...

• @zecoop  4 weeks

@standup - You've got it - it's been added.

Anyone else that has requests, just let us know and we can fill out the tapes (and start others)

• @oblivionratula  4 weeks

These are possibly my favorite part of FAWM. It's a little tricky for me this year as we're packing up to get the house on the market, so I don't want to over-commit. But I can do one or two, and can happily be on any track, including 4/mixing/posting.

• @nancyrost  3 weeks

Tape 11 is on its way to @cts !

• @vomvorton  3 weeks

Tape 5 is recorded and ready to go to @wobbiewobbit tomorrow - will get on tape 6 after lunch!

I got a loop pedal recently so trying something slightly new for these tapes, should hopefully give people a cool base to work from!

• @vomvorton  3 weeks

Tape 6 recorded now as well! Will be in the post to @rollasoc tomorrow.

Tape 5: Loopy Ukulele
    Tape 6: Loopy synth bass

• @standup  3 weeks

I think we made mistake today. Tape 9 is ready to go to PearlManhattan, with drums and upright bass.

But we started another tape and it's weird. I built an instrument with a kalimba and 7-8 strings that you play by banging on it. We made a weird cassette with drums and this atonal reverb/delay drenched banging instrument.

So I want somebody to volunteer to take this weird tape.

I created a forum thread with a picture of the instrument. It's a board with a kalimba in the middle, strings going to both ends of the board. I have a couple of boxes of guitar parts, and had everything I needed (just about).

TOMORROW we will record a more normal tape to be Tape 8.

• @nancyrost  3 weeks

I'll take the weird kalimbatron-and-drums tape. I have some ideas.

• @standup  3 weeks

I believe in you, @nancyrost. It will go out tomorrow.

• @standup  3 weeks

Tape 9 and Tape "Weird" are in the mail, priority.

• @elesimo  3 weeks

I'd love to be on the weird tape too, preferably on track 4 to mix.

• @zecoop  3 weeks

@nancyrost - Kalimbatron, lololololol That's gonna be a thing now.
    @standup - Is this an extra tape, or one of the numbered ones up there?
    @elesimo - I'll add you as number 4.

• @nancyrost  3 weeks

@zecoop I already labeled the extra tape as 17.

• @standup  3 weeks

OK, it's Tape 17!

• @eargoggle  3 weeks

I'm all into this but not gonna be available for a couple weeks due to having surgery this week, but put me down for 3rd or 4th on one or two,

• @zecoop  3 weeks

Tape 1 is done (electric guitar) - Headed tomorrow to @standup and @pfoo.

Tape 3 is done (@marvsmooth on bass and myself on guitar) - sounding very much in the vein of The Police. Going to @guatecoop next. πŸ˜€

• @cts  3 weeks

@nancyrost - Tape 11 just arrived at the Jelly Factory today. I'll take a whack at it as soon as I can.

• @zecoop  3 weeks

@eargoggle - I've got you last on Tapes 1 and 12. I hope everything goes super smooth. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  3 weeks

Tape 2 is also ready to mail, with an acoustic guitar. It'll be headed to @nancyrost but probably won't be until tomorrow, because I forgot to grab the tapes off the table this morning. 😞

• @metalfoot  3 weeks

OK. I need to get going on my tape to send to @nancyrost. Hoping to have done by Friday!

• @elesimo  3 weeks

I recorded tape 7, will post it to @stevenwesleyguiles this morning as soon as the post office opens.

• @wobbiewobbit  3 weeks

got tape 5 in the post today thanks @vomvorton ! will try and get both my tapes done tomorrow

• @vomvorton  3 weeks

Excellent, hope it inspires you!

• @elesimo  3 weeks

@pearlmanhattan do you have my address for tape 10?

• @pearlmanhattan  3 weeks

@elesimo I have the original box you sent it to me in πŸ˜€ I'll get that out by the weekend, hopefully Friday.

• @elesimo  3 weeks

Oh, @pearlmanhattan, that's the one from 50-90 that I wrote the first track, no? I forgot about that one. Maybe you should send that to someone else then? We can make it a new tape (18) if you still want to start tape 10 and send it to me.

• @rollasoc  3 weeks

Got tape 6 form @vomvorton today. Will have a listen. Try and get my part done by the weekend, when hopefully, I will know who to send it to.

• @pearlmanhattan  3 weeks

@elesimo nah, it's all good, I'll send it back to you with your track in tact, and you can decide whether to re record or send it on! πŸ˜€ I hate to lose your great track

• @marvsmooth  3 weeks

Tape 15 started at last, but accidentally recorded to track two and not track one.

Acoustic guitar. I hope that the chord progressions are okay;

A: C, C/B, Am7, G, C, C, Am7, Am7 (repeat whole)
    B: F, F/E, Am7, G, F, F/E, Am7, Am7, F, F/E, Am7, G, F, F/E, G, G
    C: Dm, Am7, Dm, Em, Dm, Am7, Dm, Em to G

A section picked at end leading to a vamp around C Major 7

• @stevenwesleyguiles  3 weeks

@elesimo - Who do I send our tape to next? I recorded the drums! Woot! Now we have acoustic and drums recorded. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  3 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles and @elesimo - Now that we are in the middle of a tape, you can leave the message up here asking who wants it. I assigned them at the beginning, but don't want to put someone down that has enough tapes. So, leave it out here for a while and see if anyone takes it. If no one does, I'll figure it out. πŸ˜€

• @standup  3 weeks

Tape 7: Let's get somebody else onboard for Track 3, but still me for Track 4....

• @marvsmooth  3 weeks

Is weird tape 17 up for grabs?

• @nancyrost  3 weeks

@marvsmooth Weird tape 17 is already on its way to @elesimo to be completed.

• @nancyrost  3 weeks

@stephwesleyguiles I can take Tape 7, unless someone else in the US wants it soon.
    @marvsmooth Want me to send you something weird to be completed in the UK?

• @marvsmooth  3 weeks

@nancyrost - yes please πŸ˜€

@nancyrost I just noticed your message here (you tagged me with a ph, but i'm an "even steven". πŸ˜€

Yeah. Wanna message/email me your address and I'll get that in the mail ASAP.

• @nancyrost  3 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles emailed.

@nancyrost U FAST! πŸ˜€

• @pfoo  3 weeks

We received tape 1 from @zecoop today. @guatecoop told me yesterday that a tape is in transit to us (must be lucky #13).

And we are working on getting tape 8 out the door.

• @guatecoop  2 weeks

Oh man, tape 3 is coming to you @burrsettles ... i just finished the drums and this tune is AWESOME. great job @marvsmooth and @zecoop !!

• @nancyrost  2 weeks

I'll be getting Tape 2 and Tape 18 out tomorrow.

• @zecoop  2 weeks

Once we get tapes finished, please only have ONE contributor collab with fourtracktape, or send me the MP3 and I can post it there and collab with one person. Posting these are tricky, but we do not want multiple posts of the same song on the fourtracktape page - just one of each. πŸ˜€

The best way (I think) it to have the song posted once and the other people create the song for their page and paste a link to the fourtracktape song's page in their song page with a comment to leave comments at the original song post.

BUT... it can be done many ways, depending who wants the song on their page as part of their 14. I don't have them on mine because I try to limit my page to ones that I am creating at least half of. Everyone is different. The main thing I want is only one version of each song on the fourtracktape page. πŸ˜€

• @pfoo  2 weeks

Tape 8 is on it's way to @guatecoop. It has guitar and keyboard.

• @metalfoot  2 weeks

@nancyrost I need your address in order to send you my tape! Hoping to get it done tonight yet. Failing that, definitely by the end of tomorrow.

• @nancyrost  2 weeks

@metalfoot emailed you my address.

• @elesimo  2 weeks

@nancyrost I got tape 17, working on it! πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  2 weeks

Any news on tape 15, @marvsmooth ?

• @marvsmooth  2 weeks

@vomvorton was in the post on Saturday

• @vomvorton  2 weeks

@marvsmooth excellent, hopefully it'll arrive today!

• @stevenwesleyguiles  2 weeks

Baby Yodagami is sad because he didn't get a sticker yet.
    Don't be sad.
    Go here: http://bit.ly/fawmtrack to get started on your magical sticker journey.

• @zecoop  2 weeks

How are we doing on tapes? Any stragglers or ones that need to be moved/started?

• @vomvorton  2 weeks

@zecoop if Tape 15 has arrived today then I'll probably record my part tonight. Do we want to send that one transatlantic while there's still time? Or shall I offer it up to our pool of UK four-trackers?

• @zecoop  2 weeks

@vomvorton -yesssss!!! I’ll take it. I’m just hoping for an 8 minute drone, lol.

• @vomvorton  2 weeks

Right, tape 15 will be heading over the ocean to @zecoop tomorrow, assuming it doesn't hail throughout my lunchbreak again and force me to stay indoors.

• @marvsmooth  2 weeks

@zecoop - eight minute drone? Hmm.... I’ll see what I can do for another tape to send you πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  2 weeks

@marvsmooth - Last year, if you remember, I played a very very very slow delayed guitar song and kinda sorta forgot how long it might end up. It ended up in @vomvorton 's post and he didn't know what was coming, lol. It turned out fabulous though!

Calm Before The Storm
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/cal...

• @zecoop  2 weeks

Not technically a 4-track song, but I did five songs worth of drums on my Tascam 488mkII 8-track today, and finished one of them tonight. My self imposed challenge for these is to record instruments only onto the cassette, so I get 8 tracks (unless I learn how to bounce, lol) I have 8 outputs on this deck so each track is coming over to the DAW for mixing and mastering, but the nice rich analog is there. Recorded at high speed with Dolby on, I must say the sound quality is really good.

A Path and a Log
    https://fawm.org/songs/104322/

• @vomvorton  2 weeks

@zecoop I think that's probably my favourite FAWM four-track that I've been on!

Excited to hear them start to roll in this year.

• @marvsmooth  2 weeks

Here is the completed tape 16, entitled Follow, which includes contributions from 1. @nancyrost (ubass), 2. @owl (vocal, acoustic guitar), 3. @elesimo (whistling) / @cnidaria (shakers), and myself (glockenspiel);

https://fawm.org/songs/104398/

• @pearlmanhattan  2 weeks

I am here - having some stuff going on - but today I'm hoping to complete Tape 9 and tape 10, who's getting Tape 9, and @zecoop I will email you my updated address, Sorry I'm a little behind the curve, I'll get it together! Thanks guys!

• @zecoop  2 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles - Did you want to get some practice finishing a tape? Tape 9 is available!

• @wobbiewobbit  2 weeks

who should i send tape 5 to? I have put a bass part down if that influences things.. it has drums/uke and double bass so far

• @metalfoot  2 weeks

Tape 14 is on its way in the mail today... I put my guitar on track 1 and @zecoop drums on track 4 (since we only have 3 people on Tape 14) so @nancyrost and @pearlmanhattan it is heading out...!

• @zecoop  2 weeks

@metalfoot - Is it not going to a fourth person? Generally the drum/rhythm gets erased by the 4th.

• @metalfoot  2 weeks

Well, I saw there are only 3 listed and this way we don't have to worry about the slowness of tape getting from Canada to US as much @zecoop !

• @zecoop  2 weeks

@metalfoot - Yeah, I only list them as people volunteer, after the initial few tracks. Time permitting we'll probably get that to a fourth person. My drums were done prior to FAWM, so..... But they gave you a way to start the tape!

• @metalfoot  2 weeks

@zecoop That they did... and I think it'd be hard to find a beat that better matches what I've played!

• @zecoop  2 weeks

We'll just leave it that if we have time we'll do a 4th, and if not then we'll go with whatever we get! Flexible FAWMing. πŸ˜€

@zecoop Sure! I'll try and finish off a tape. πŸ˜€
    Is that the one @pearlmanhattan currently has?

• @zecoop  2 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles - it is indeed. I'll send @pearlmanhattan your address. πŸ˜€

Tape 9
    1- @pfoo
    2-@standup
    3-@pearlmanhattan >
    4-@stevenwesleyguiles

• @wobbiewobbit  2 weeks

any takers for tape 5 - @marvsmooth ??

• @vomvorton  2 weeks

I think @marvsmooth and @rollasoc are the only other UK FAWMers this year, so either of those two or send it abroad while time is still on our side I guess!

edit: Or does @fourzeroes still have a four-track available?

• @fourzeroes 2 weeks

@vomvorton Oh, I do, just I wasn't sure how much time I'd be able to devote to FAWM this year. This thread is long. Am I third or fourth?

@wobbiewobbit you already have my address. πŸ˜€

• @wobbiewobbit  2 weeks

@fourzeroes that's great you will be track 3... i did have your address but i don't now! can you send me again pls? thanks

• @fourzeroes 2 weeks

@wobbiewobbit weird! I can find an email that says "the tape safely arrived, thanks" but not one that says "here's where to post it to". You should now have an email containing my address.

• @guatecoop  2 weeks

Alrighty! Tape 8 is moving on! Really cool song the was fun to drum on. Kind of a psychedelic western or something. Love it. Great job @pfoo and @standup !

• @zecoop  2 weeks

Ooh! Exciting - I forgot that we got the band back together!! πŸ˜€

Tape 8:
    1- @standup
    2-@pfoo >
    3-@guatecoop
    4-@zecoop

• @pfoo  2 weeks

@guatecoop cool πŸ˜€

@standup has added bass to tape 13. I'm working on it now. Should have it out soon.

He also added a part to tape 1 and I will work on that next, probably over the weekend.

• @sandicove2015  2 weeks

oooops. I don't have my old cassette player recorder any more...
    any way around that?

Just got a great lesson in 4 tracking from @zecoop! πŸ˜€
    It turns out I need help. and I apologize to my first two tape groups who probably got a WEAK ASS audio signal from me.

Turns out 12 years in the digital realm has made my analog recording chops a little rusty. like, CRANK THAT GAIN, YO! πŸ˜€

I have learned. I LOVE how it sounds though! So much fun now that I'm set up with way to get solid sound in the machine.

• @standup  2 weeks

Awww. @stevenwesleyguiles yes. Crank it. You want the meter PEAKing on every 3rd beat or something.

None of this -18dB business in 4-track recording.

You youngsters.

• @elesimo  2 weeks

Tape 17 is up: https://fawm.org/songs/104968/

With @pfoo, @standup, @nancyrost and me.

• @zecoop  2 weeks

Crank That Gain, Yo!
    (I think I just found the song title @stevenwesleyguiles )

• @wobbiewobbit  2 weeks

@rollasoc would you like tape 4 ? or @fourzeroes i havent managed to post yours yet shall i stick this one in with it? (this is the last slot on tape 4)

• @pearlmanhattan  2 weeks

Okay, I've been fighting with the 4 track all week, I know I said I'd send tapes out today, but I have a noise issue I'm going to fix! one way or another. Will be sending the tapes I have out tomorrow (I have tape 9 and the tape from @elesimo from 50/90) regardless if I get the tracks done or not - I have a "spaceship engine noise" ala the Jetsons when I try to record, I'm not sure why. Just an update. Feel bad I've struggled this long with this, but hopefully will get it fixed this evening... thanks for patience.

• @elesimo  2 weeks

@pearlmanhattan don't worry too much about noise, I'm pretty sure we can incorporate it in the mix somehow! πŸ˜€

• @pfoo  2 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles I think I forgot to ask - if you haven't already sent the tapes that are coming to @standup and me, can you include a sticker for each of us? If it's too late I will send you a SASE.

@pfoo I've been including stickers for all the four track homies.

@standup it feels SO GOOD TO CRANK THAT GAIN.

• @zecoop  2 weeks

Evidence of said cranked gain... SWG's vocal part was recorded while we were on the phone, at least the first few tracks. Then we both (re) figured out how to bounce tracks, and he recorded some more after the call ended. He sent it over and I added more vocals on my 8-track. 30 seconds of fun. πŸ˜€

Truth
    https://fawm.org/songs/105229/

• @wobbiewobbit  1 week

sending tapes 4 and 5 to @fourzeroes today

• @pfoo  1 week

@stevenwesleyguiles Awesome πŸ˜€

Also awesome is that song Truth!

• @zecoop  1 week

@elesimo - Tape 12 will be on its way to you on Tuesday. I recorded loud RAWK drums to go along with @stevenwesleyguiles loud RAWK fuzz guitar. So basically, it's a ballad. πŸ˜‰
    @standup and @pfoo - the tape ends with you to mix down.

Tape 12
    1- @stevenwesleyguiles
    2-@zecoop
    3-@elesimo
    4-@standup/@pfoo

• @pfoo  1 week

Tape 1 is ready to go to @eargoggle. And Tape 13 is ready to go to @burrsettles.

@zecoop Can you email me their addresses? Or send them to @standup - I think you already have his email address.

• @zecoop  1 week

@pfoo - e-mailed Eric and FB messaged you. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  1 week

So... only two tapes in so far. I've got one to add and then mix, but where are the others at? Anything need a push?

• @nancyrost  1 week

Tape 7 just went out today. I'll check in with some others I've sent to.

• @vomvorton  1 week

Anything out there that needs a track 4? I always enjoy finishing / mixing, if the opportunity should arise!

• @zecoop  1 week

@vomvorton - I think maybe Tape 18? @nancyrost did that one go to @marvsmooth ? If so, he could send it to Vom to finish.

• @zecoop  1 week

Tapes that might need more people:
    Tape 2:
    1- @zecoop
    2-@nancyrost ->
    3-@cts
    4- @elesimo
    Tape 4 (lost tape 2)
    1- @marvsmooth
    2-@vomvorton
    3-@wobbiewobbit
    4- @fourzeroes
    Tape 5:
    1- @vomvorton
    2-@wobbiewobbit
    3- @fourzeroes
    4-
    Tape 6:
    1- @vomvorton
    2-@rollasoc
    3- @wobbiewobbit
    4-
    Tape 10
    1- @pearlmanhattan
    2-@elesimo
    3- @zecoop
    4-
    Tape 11
    1- @nancyrost
    2-@cts <-
    3-
    4- @zecoop
    Tape 14:
    1- @metalfoot >
    2-@nancyrost
    3-@pearlmanhattan
    4-
    Tape 18 WEIRD
    1 - nancyrost >
    2 - @marvsmooth
    3- @vomvorton
    4 - nancyrost (recorded - track 3 person finishes)

• @nancyrost  1 week

@zecoop Tape 18 went to marvsmooth last week, so yes, @vomvorton could finish that one.

• @wobbiewobbit  1 week

@fourzeroes has tapes 4&5 so 4 will be full and one more needed for tape 5. i can volunteer a track on tape 6...

• @marvsmooth  1 week

I’ve not had tape 18 yet.

I was going to say to send me anything if takers don’t show up soon! I just feel greedy saying that. 😏

• @cts  1 week

Got 'em both and looking to have them in the mail by Friday at the latest.

• @zecoop  1 week

@marvsmooth - I'd say at this point, you should get 5 and 6! πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  1 week

@zecoop @cts I'll take track 4 on tape 2, if that's ok

• @zecoop  1 week

@elesimo - You've got it! πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  1 week

I've signed up for these. Still need one more for each.

Tape 10
    1- @pearlmanhattan
    2-@elesimo
    3- @zecoop
    4- @standup
    Tape 11
    1- @nancyrost
    2-@cts <-
    3-
    4- @zecoop

• @burrsettles  1 week

@zecoop @guatecoop @marvsmooth @eargoggle @pfoo tapes 3 and 13 have arrived! I know what I’m doing this weekend, I guess... πŸ˜‰

• @marvsmooth  1 week

@zecoop - I’m cool with that B-)

• @zecoop  1 week

@marvsmooth - Didn't think you would have a problem! LOL

@burrsettles - Great news!! Can't wait to hear those... πŸ˜€

• @pearlmanhattan  1 week

@elesimo amd @stevenwesleyguiles Tapes 10 and 9, respectively, are winging their way towards you - Since I'm in Western Washington, it's a straight shot down I5 to you guys - so you should get them, hopefully, Monday. I have tracking numbers should you need them. 2day USPS Priority Mail. *whew*

• @zecoop  1 week

Thanks for the update @pearlmanhattan πŸ˜€

Next week is going to be a good one for 4-tracks. πŸ˜€

• @standup  1 week

Do we still have tapes with no takers? Put me down for Tape 10 if it’s still open.

• @nancyrost  1 week

@standup - added you to Tape 10

I just got tape 14 from @metalfoot and should be able to get it out to @pearlmanhattan tomorrow. That one already has drums from @zecoop on track 4.

• @zecoop  1 week

@standup (and anyone else) - tape 11 still has a Track 3 available

• @metalfoot  1 week

Am I ever thankful the tape arrived before the end of the month @nancyrost !!!

• @standup  6 days

Tape 7 is posted!
    https://fawm.org/songs/107572/

• @zecoop  6 days

@burrsettles - I can't get either to play, so check the links. πŸ˜€

• @burrsettles  6 days

@zecoop works for me. might be the fawm player is busted in your browser? you can try the download links?

• @zecoop  6 days

@burrsettles - Cool - I'l try those. I don't think the d/l links were there at first either. πŸ˜€

Sounds FANTASTIC. Awesome job writing/recording and mixing!!

• @zecoop  6 days

@burrsettles - I found a solution in the forums from @ericdistad and it was the 'allow insecure' setting. I changed that and it works now. πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  5 days

I got tape 12 today, will send it out tomorrow to @standup/@pfoo.

There were no stickers though. 😞

• @stevenwesleyguiles  5 days

@elesimo did you not get the stickers I sent?!

• @eargoggle  5 days

I got @standup 's tape today, don't know which one this is but I'll get to work on it stat!

• @elesimo  5 days

@stevenwesleyguiles no, I assume @zecoop forgot to include them in the envelope.

• @zecoop  5 days

Oops... forgot to ask about that @stevenwesleyguiles !! I’ll get them to you @elesimo - how many is it supposed to be?

• @fourzeroes 4 days

Who wants Tape 5? All things being equal it'll be good to go tomorrow.

• @vomvorton  4 days

@fourzeroes I think @marvsmooth is already pencilled in to finish that one off!

• @fourzeroes 4 days

@vomvorton ok brilliant! Thanks. I think I've already got @marvsmooth's details.

• @elesimo  4 days

@zecoop I'm not sure how many, I only saw that @pfoo asked @stevenwesleyguiles for stickers and he said he would send them with the tape.

• @pfoo  4 days

@elesimo (and @zecoop and @stevenwesleyguiles) - @standup told me that he sent SWG a self addressed envelope before I asked about the stickers. So I think we are covered.

• @zecoop  4 days

Tape 11 still needs a third? Hopefully CTS can get something in. Who wants it?

Tape 11
    1- @nancyrost
    2-@cts <-
    3-
    4- zecoop

Tape 14:
    1- @metalfoot
    2-@nancyrost >
    3-@pearlmanhattan
    4-ZeCoop Drums

• @metalfoot  4 days

Tape 14 will survive without a 4th since we *do* have ZeCoopDrums on track 4.

• @zecoop  4 days

@metalfoot - Forgot about that!! Thanks

• @cts  4 days

I'm trying..I really am.

• @zecoop  4 days

You've got a lot @cts... Just checking in. It's all cool. πŸ˜€

• @pearlmanhattan  4 days

I have recieved tape 14, I will get it out tomorrow @zecoop

• @standup  4 days

If Tape 11 is still unclaimed why don't you send it to me. We got to get things moving here...

• @stevenwesleyguiles  4 days

@pfoo and @elesimo - I DID send some to @standup not too long ago...so hopefully those arrive soon. And to @zecoop. I screwed up the first time and DIDN'T send them with the tape. I think I sent on TEN stickers.

Other random question: how do we share the collabs since you can only tag two people?

Do two people post it as a collab and then the other two? Just curious. I don't NEED it to win this year...but, I like to have the number of songs I've written for my archives. πŸ˜€

I just finished a tape 9 that I got from @pearlmanhattan ...is there not a tape 9?

Help?!

I added some crazy vocals to it.
    or bad.
    or AWESOME...depending on your point of view.

Tape 9
    1- @pfoo
    2-@standup
    3-@pearlmanhattan
    4- @stevenwesleyguiles

Ok. DUH. I see it now. I will be posting an INSTRUMENTAL sans my vocals AND my vocal version. I don't want to hide the awesome music that was doing on underneath my vocal. No apologies for my vocal...but, uh, it's for sure an acquired taste.

The song is called Turkey Shirt.

• @zecoop  4 days

@stevenwesleyguiles - Well, I did pay you for 10... πŸ˜‰

To post it - ONE (1) UNO (SINGLE) person collabs with fourtracktape. Just one. Otherwise we get duplicate songs on that page and that stinks. OR, I just post it alone on the fourtracktape page.

Everyone except the fourtrack tape song should put the link to the fourtracktape song into the URL on their post and put a comment saying something like - Hey go comment on the song over at this link at fourtrack tape. @standup does this very well. Way better than I am explaining it.

If one person collabs with fourtracktape, that inevitably leaves one loaner because three people are left. If fourtracktape posts it alone, the other four could collab with each other and point to the fourtracltape page.

This sounds wayyyyyy more confusing than it is. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  4 days

@stevenwesleyguiles - Also, I passed on the two stickers that were in that first tape to @eargoggle because he had heart surgery and needed them to patch the wound or something. Wait....

• @standup  4 days

I posted one mix I did, and made fourtracktape my collaborator. The other folks would either have to add it to their own page, or, like I did on another tape that @pfoo and I played on, I added her as a collaborator and the page links to the actual song.

• @pfoo  4 days

@stevenwesleyguiles I don't think you need to post a version without your vocals (unless you already did, then it's ok!). I think anyone signing up to participate understands that the songs can go in so many different directions - and they often do. Also, you would have to tag it as three-track, which is awkward.

@pfoo I will just post the vocal version, but if any of Tape 9 Squad wants to hear what it sounds like sans vocals, I will GLADLY email you an mp3. πŸ˜€

• @eargoggle  4 days

Hey @standup , I got the tape from you, but I think there was no card or anything explaining who's on it? Can you or someone let me know who did which track? I may get to this one tomorrow, we'll see.

@pfoo @standup @pearlmanhattan
    And so, a song was born: Turkey Shirt
    https://fawm.org/songs/108232/

• @standup  4 days

Hey @eargoggle it's tape 1:

1- @zecoop guitar
    2-@standup bass
    3-@pfoo drums

• @elesimo  3 days

Tape 12 is on its way to @standup and @pfoo. I added bass to @stevenwesleyguiles's guitar and @zecoop's drums.

• @elesimo  3 days

@zecoop, Tape 10 is on your way, should arrive Thursday. I don't think we'll have time to finish it, so @standup might want to put up a placeholder for it.

• @zecoop  3 days

@elesimo - We can do that... No worries

• @vomvorton  3 days

Or if we all simultaneously adjust our four-track pitch wheels then maybe we can slow the actual progress of time to allow all of the tapes to be completed!? Worth a try.

• @elesimo  3 days

@cts how's tape 2 going?

• @standup  3 days

For some reason this occurs to me: 4β€”Track collabs have 4 collaborators. Our goal is 14 1/2 songs. But perhaps the 4-track collabs are 1/4 song ...

• @zecoop  3 days

@standup - This is too much math... πŸ˜‰

• @eargoggle  2 days

OK, Tape 1 is up! @zecoop on guitar, @standup on bass, @pfoo on drums and yours truly on some weird sitar guitar thing and singing about some creepy phone stalker.
    This is what we call a garage rocker if you ask me.

• @pearlmanhattan  2 days

I opened tape 14 to find I am the last track on it - @zecoop I've already printed a label for it to send back to you - do you want the tape back? And do you want me to try my hand at mixing this one and uploading it before I send it back or are you wanting to do that. LMK. Knowing I can at least upload a "draft": of it until you get the tape gives me some breathe time on it. Thanks!

• @zecoop  2 days

@pearlmanhattan - Yeah, you can just adjust the levels and EQ until the mix sounds good and then run the headphone jack to your recorder to record that mix. Just listen for each of the four tacks. i usually just listen to one at a time to EQ until it sounds good. Do that with each of the four and then adjust the levels until you can hear all four well. Pan a couple a little left or right to give it a Stereo feel. Drums and Bass usually in the center, guitars and keyboard maybe 25% to the right or left to separate them. You are welcome to send it to me to do a full mix down, but it would certainly be nice to hear something! I've got faith and just let me know if you have any questions. πŸ˜€

• @pearlmanhattan  2 days

@zecoop yes sir! and thank you! That's how I mix my stuff, so thanks for the confirmation I'm doin it right πŸ˜€ yeah, I'll get this uploaded in the next couple days. It's a really Janis Joplin kinda vibe, so you know lyrics are coming πŸ˜‰ thnk you again. I needed a "lift" today! πŸ˜€

• @standup  1 day

@pfoo tells me a tape has arrived, which I believe to be Tape 12, for a last track and mix.

Which also means @zecoop likely got tape 10 today.

• @zecoop  1 day

@standup - Cool...... I have another to finish tonight and will get both done tonight, I hope!!!!

• @zecoop  1 day

Yep, the tape from @elesimo got here today. @eargoggle should be getting the one from me too.

• @vomvorton  1 day

Tape 18 is up! FYI @nancyrost @marvsmooth

https://fawm.org/songs/109140/

It is... an unusual piece

• @eargoggle  1 day

I got the tape, whichever one that is. I'll do something with it tomorrow.

• @marvsmooth  23 hours

@vomvorton - you are truly a wizard!

• @zecoop  16 hours

@standup - just realized Tape 10 goes to you last. Feel free to put a placeholder in there and I'll finish it up tonight and get it on its way tomorrow.

• @eargoggle  11 hours

Tape 15 has now turned into the folk-rock-psychedelia epic "Pompeii." Take a gander- https://fawm.org/songs/109385/

• @zecoop  8 hours

Tape 8 is now up! (@standup - You and @pfoo can collab and point to this one)

1- @standup - electric guitar
    2-@pfoo - electric piano
    3-@guatecoop - drums
    4-@zecoop - combo organ

Tape Stampede
    https://fawm.org/songs/109498/

• @standup  4 hours

Tape 12 is up!

https://fawm.org/songs/109633/

• @zecoop  4 hours

@standup - And Tape 12 is flipping awesome!!!!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...