random collaborations

Skip to the bottom

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

it's that time of year again. i took this over one 50/90, pairing people who wanted a random collab, lyricist matched with music-maker. it went quickly at first, then seemed to slow later in the summer. i'm hoping that the concept won't have time to flag over FAWM.
    so sign up here-- usual suspects, or new people who have never even contemplated such before. sign in and say whether you want lyrics, music, or are able to do both. i'll do my best to avoid duplicate pairings, and will attempt to take into consideration those who have worked together repeatedly in the past and wish to work with someone new.
    some of my best collaborations came about through random collaborations. you can do it any way you wish (music first, lyrics first, some back and forth, etc), but i will tell you how i try to do my random collabs:

i am usually a lyrics guy, though i guess i am "both" this year, in theory. when paired with someone, i contact the person who will be realizing the track in music, and ask if they have a phrase or concept that i could write lyrics to. failing that, i ask them if any lyrics that i have posted appeal to them. i guess some would say that's cheating, but i say whatever gets a completed song is fair game. i write my own chords to whatever i send, so i will remember what _I_ had written for it later. then, i sit back and wait. some people are so invested in their lyrics that they don't want them changed in the slightest, but i figure that i have my original (with chords and melody, remember) so if i am not in love with the musical realization, i always have mine to fall back on. there have only been a couple of instances where i liked the other person's realization more than my own, so i personally hold off from expecting a collaboration that lasts past FAWM.
    and on the subject of collaboration-- if you are hesitant to put your stuff out there because you fear it will be stolen, you are in fact establishing a record of your copyright just by posting. oops....

• @guatecoop  1 week

I’m in

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

(ran out of room.) get collaboration details worked out beforehand-- if you like the other person's work, you can then get together with them and work out the details. that's how _I_ work. but if you know that you just want to try this for funsies, if you will, let the person know that you do not expect a joint project for the song after FAWM. i just play it by ear.
    it's a lot of fun, so i urge you to try it if you are interested. collaboration is at the heart of FAWM. there has been some talk of going for a half-song with another person to get 28 and a half songs for those who do this for leapyear FAWM. that can be a separate collab, or you can use this thread/challenge for YOUR half-song. you never know what might happen when you open yourself up to collaborators.
    hope to see you!

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

@guatecoop -- music or lyrics? or both?

• @guatecoop  1 week

Oh sorry, music!

• @pearlmanhattan  1 week

Lyrics this time around, please. Thank you.

• @sph  1 week

music, as always. Thanks!

• @metalfoot  1 week

I am open to doing either! Thanks for setting this up. 😀

• @coolparadiso  1 week

due to travels i am only able to be a lyrics man thjis time. thx for doing this

• @siebass  1 week

I'm always down for either.

• @spikedirection 1 week

Thinking I'll donate some lyrics to the cause. Though I might change my mind when I'm in the thick of it.

• @paulhenry  1 week

I'm in.
    Lyrics only this year, please.

• @crisp1  1 week

You can count me in for lyrics.

• @acousticmaddie  1 week

Count me in on both

• @alonetogether 1 week

Sign me up for lyrics/vocals only please!!!

• @tiller2  1 week

I'm in, please, for either lyrics or music

• @tesla3090  1 week

I'm in for music

• @oddbod  1 week

Chalk me up for music

• @izaakalexander  1 week

I'll write some music.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  1 week

Musics please.

• @cts  1 week

Lyrics this go round, please.

• @declan  1 week

I'm in for either.

• @jamkar  1 week

Music please.

• @nikke88 1 week

Sounds like fun.

Music 4 me, please.

• @jonmeta  1 week

I'll do music, please. I can happily push the notes on my keyboard, but not so confident with words.

• @w1n  1 week

Sounds fun, music for me please

• @tcelliott  1 week

I'll do it. PICK ME, PICK ME!

I never do lyric so I might wanna lean that way, but I'll do either if it helps the matching of artists.

• @unpronounceable 1 week

I can do both!

• @wacha  1 week

I'm in, I can do either.

• @wazylizard 4 days

I'm up for either!

• @saxylizbeth  4 days

Thank you for this thread - it'll be v useful once it all kicks off.

• @carleybaer  4 days

I’ll try it! I can do either

• @tsunamidaily  4 days

@saxylizbeth-- were you wanting to join in?

i agree it will help when it starts up. FAWM is shorter than 50/90, so getting these things worked out beforehand should increase the maximum joy for everyone involved. you are welcome!

• @bithprod 4 days

Lyrics, please.

• @saxylizbeth  3 days

Hi @tsunamidaily - I'll be on the look out for lyrics, words aren't really my thing. Haven't really the confidence yet to offer music as a collab yet - unless it's specifically a sax solo 😉 The rest of it I'm still getting to grips with.

• @andybalham 3 days

I'm in for music please. Much appreciated.

• @metalfoot  3 days

@saxylizbeth Just dooooo itttt 😉 I've honestly found random collabs to be a great way to get to know other FAWMers and yeah, we're not all brilliant music makers (I know I'm not!) but it's fun to write with other people anyway.

• @russiasaturn 3 days

I'm in! love to collab but haven't done this random thing before. I can write lyrics.

• @lowhum 3 days

Both! For funnies!

• @lowhum 3 days

I can do drinks, too!

• @downburst  3 days

I’m in, music or lyrics.

• @bradbrubaker  3 days

I'll try doing lyrics.

• @loveonamixtape 3 days

Love me the random collab! Music for me please this time!

• @standup  2 days

Put me down for lyrics or music, I'm flexible.

• @lomedae 2 days

Sign me up for music, I love to work with people's lyrics.

• @nancyrost  2 days

Either/both, thanks!

• @heuristicsinc 2 days

Music please!

• @suzimuzi 2 days

Lyrics mainly for me please...

• @postcardhelicopters  1 day

This sounds like fun!

I'm in for supplying music, please.

• @fulanin 1 day

Sign me up! Music, please

• @the3queens 1 day

I'm with @lowhum ...in it for the drinks and fun (but I'll settle for music.)

• @fulanin 1 day

Question: will the lyricist also sing? Because I can't sing

• @oddbod  1 day

@fulanin No, there's no obligation for the lyricist to sing - both collaborators can contribute whatever they want. They just have to agree between themselves what they want (or don't want) to do

• @metalfoot  1 day

@fulanin I know in the past, I (among many others) have been brought in to sing on tracks where neither the lyricist nor musician think they can sing. So don't let that stop you from being part of the game!

• @jorh 1 day

Lyrics please - love a good collab. Not playing any instrument really limits my ability to do music haha

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...