what have you done to get ready for FAWM?

Skip to the bottom

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 14

have you reorganized your recording space? have you changed strings? have you sharpened your pencil? have you worked new gear into your work space?

me, myself, i've changed strings on my 2 acoustics and 12 string (and strung them with brass endpins, just to see how it sounds), my mandolin, my dobro, and a couple of basses. i'm waiting for my 6-string bass string sets to get here for the two 6-strings i own. i've recorded some musical ideas lately, though most will not be used in FAWM. i've even been looking over my song idea list, seeing if any titles/ lines speak to me.

what about you?

• @krayzie003 Jan 14

I updated my profile lol

• @ampersandman  Jan 14

I have been making some beats, made space on my hard drive and started a vocal training online course.

• @atitlan  Jan 14

I am so much more prepared than @krayzie003, I've updated my profile AND I've briefly contemplated recording a warm up song before the end of January.

• @johnstaples  Jan 14

I got rock hands and that is about it so far!

• @aeye Jan 14

Prepping some patches and getting our sound set in order for this year. Also getting our plot ironed out for The Explorers 4. can't wait!

• @aeye Jan 14

seems it double posted. whoops

• @drivelmonk  Jan 14

Gonna make sure my studio area is clean. Next step is to warn the spouse it's about to get nuts up in here (first FAWM since living together). I want to jot down a few of the goals and song scraps I have so I have some meager framework. And that's about it, honestly.

• @bootlegger Jan 14

I wrote 30 years worth of fictional journal entries for a character I'm using for my fawm album this year. I plan to create lyrics from the journals as if I were the son of that character who finds them after their father passes away and turn those into songs. I plan on creating a fully produced album from it. So we'll see how that goes.

• @juoppis  Jan 14

- a new profile text (check)
    - a new profile pic (check)
    - a new SoundCloud (check)
    - donated for rock hands (check)

Guess I'm ready.

• @gubna Jan 15

Put new strings on guitars, wiped SoundCloud, making an idea list, prepping to rebuild studio this weekend. Need to back up and clear room on the laptop! What else? Oh yeah, rehearse to get chops up.

• @alonetogether Jan 15

I got sick, so hopefully it doesn't happen during february

• @vomvorton  Jan 15

Done:
    Set up new loop pedal
    Wrote a warm up song
    Practiced piano
    (Mostly) finished project from last year
    Updated profile

To do:
    Change strings
    Clear some hard drive space
    Not get ill (good call @alonetogether - FAWM flu has seriously affected my last two Februaries!)

• @ayehahmur  Jan 15

I've given myself a (semi-secret) theme to work to for lyrics and suddenly song ideas are popping up left, right and centre and I can't control them! IT'S TOO EARLY!!!

• @kanttila Jan 15

New profile pic and...perhaps I'll restring my Tele and tune my drums a bit. By tune I mean tighten them to whatever ao they're louder.

I'm thinking of ideas for the theme of my next album also. I need something.

• @kirjis  Jan 15

Rock hands, new strings for my basses, setting up some sound presets in Guitarix, learning more keyboard and music reading basics ... that I've neglected my whole life. With so much excellent new Youtube music education material, there's really no excuse anymore. FAWM is a great motivator!

• @valeriecox  Jan 15

Got my rock hands and changed my profile pic. I'm really far too lazy to do anything else.

• @metalfoot  Jan 15

Rock Hands: on
    Brain generating dozens of song fragments a day, unprompted: activated
    Practicing a bit of guitar and/or mandolin daily: check
    Just need Feb to start and I'm ready!

• @izaakalexander  Jan 16

I haven't even changed strings. I used to practice. This'll be a strange one.

• @tiller2  Jan 16

Hands of rock secured. Some scattered lyric and music ideas. I've got a new Scarlett interface and my first DAW--and two weeks to learn how to use 'em. There's a disassembled bed on the floor of my music room that I need to get rid of, too...

• @sync  Jan 16

The closer it gets, the more I fantasize my first allegedly spontaneous song. I play all the instruments and create complete arrangements in my head at work in meetings while I stare blankly at the convener.

• @w1n  Jan 16

Got my rock hands on, and I've started to both try scribble down some lyrics ideas and play/rehearse a little bit everyday to get back into the groove.

• @kirjis  Jan 16

@sync Yes, exactly ๐Ÿ˜

• @ustaknow Jan 16

I'm taking a different approach this time, -- to get me in the mood I've watched:
    - "The New Guy" for the Funk, little guy feel, and laughs (I think it's funny, imo) then
    - "Soylent Green", C. Heston version
    - "Omega Man", C. Heston version
    - "Last Man on Earth", V. Price version
    - I have the full "Planet of the Apes", 5-originals, bundle in the Cue with the 2+hr "behind the scenes" documentary (very well done, imo, just watched that last night)

Done, since, -- the general "News" for my -- "Morning-Mourning-Writes" (what I do most days/mornings) are otherwise based upon the great daily "News" feeds and feeds into my initial Music Theme I am going for. I can't say why, just a strong pull in that direction.

I had a very fruitful 5090! (so happy with this 5090), then hit with a ton of creativity as it ended, -- that all were subjected to ๐Ÿ˜€ on the "https://www.facebook.com/groups/fawmr..." -- group ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€ -- it all just kept coming, I just could not stop or get it out fast enough; and I even feel a nice "Shift" too, musically, which is always welcome!

Then, it all kinda dried up about the first of the year for no reason, or far less than normal, -- until I was then hit with a tremendous wave of "PTSD" (like haven't felt in a long time and not to often anyway)... so I queried "music" about that... and to my very much much-surprise, there were lists for it!! OMG! Who knew!? (Like a field of weeds, no- "types"/formulas, just folks personal "hits" it seems.)

Since most Doctors are asheholes, and I've demonstrated I know more about what's with me than they do, seeking a huge paycheck out of it to boot, -- I tend to expose myself to triggers, not guard from them. (Works for me ๐Ÿ˜€ ) Also, those Films are hysterical anyway, -- they don't demonstrate the endurance, stamina, spine to endure prolonged 24x7 daily sheit storms over years of time, "alone" without end or sight of hope, earthly anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

Tso, derUgo! SinsUaskid!

• @nikke88 Jan 16

I have listed some interesting phrases for song titles.

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 16

I appear to have drunk a lot of beer.

• @cts  Jan 16

Clearing up space on the HD. Taking January to learn some nuances of a few plugins I bought during Christmas. Jotting notes for ideas in the notebook and practicing. That's about it for now.

• @gubna Jan 16

Clearing room on the computer. Cleared SoundCloud page off. Got some lists - possible song titles, ideas for sound experiments. Might make an album cover for band amp. Tomorrow Iโ€™m planning to rip up/replace carpet in my studio and rebuild it all.

• @sbs2018 Jan 16

Been watching tutorials like mad, learning new tricks, hoping to remember them when itโ€™s time to write some music, rearranging my studio a zillion times, thinking I should start thinking about lyrics.

• @klaus  Jan 16

Since Win 7 expired I'm between computers. I have to either load new Reaper and VST's to my new Win 10 computer or keep the Win 7 offline as my music computer.

I've started to do my daily vocal warm-ups again.

I'll soon start writing new songs because I haven't done anything after the exhausting Win of 50/90 Challenge last summer and it takes me about a week or two to get into that melody writing zone. Keeping that energy all bottled up for February doesn't work for me. Better flex those music muscles in advance. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @metalfoot  Jan 17

Got into a two vehicle car accident this evening. That should be good for a few songs.

• @jonmeta  Jan 17

Downloaded the sounds for my DAW that were still in the cloud.
    Learning Scarbee Funk Guitarist. Because, more funk this year.
    Making a list of possible skirmish titles, because the best way to force myself to do a skirmish is to lead one.
    @metalfoot Sorry about the unwanted inspiration!

• @ayehahmur  Jan 17

Jeez @metalfoot ! Hope everyone is all right.

• @alyxanderjames  Jan 17

Updated my profile, donated (awaiting the rock hands), started pondering whether I want this yearโ€™s FAWM to have a theme. I should probably restring the guitar...

• @metalfoot  Jan 17

@jonmeta @ayehahmur Yeah, everyone's OK. The cars are both in need of serious repairs/possible replacement (leave that to insurance to figure out) but I was treated/released from hospital and the occupants of the other vehicle declined medical attention at the scene.

• @tiller2  Jan 17

@metalfoot Dang, glad everyone's okay. Write well, and drive safe!

• @gubna Jan 17

Ripped out the carpet in my studio. Two words: black mold! Off to get vinegar!

• @silvermachine  Jan 17

Oh man, I've started too soon!
    I cleaned out my studio room too early and now I've gone and messed it up again. Bollocks!

• @downburst  Jan 17

I have stayed alive.

• @atitlan  Jan 17

@downburst Definitely an advantageous starting point ...

• @downburst  Jan 17

I know, right?

• @sph  Jan 17

@sbs2018 i'm exactly the same.
    Maybe I should dust off the DAW

• @gardeningangel1  Jan 18

Uploaded/ learning Bandlab. Secured lodging. Got my rockhands on and jazzhands up. Somebody gave me a violin so I've been practicing my swearwords.

• @feeslip58  Jan 18

Every year,in the last week of January a supportive group of songwriter friends put this on in our area, free and open to everyone. A fun way to get ready for FAWM---https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?...

• @downburst  Jan 18

@gardeningangel1 I'm so Facebook-conditioned that I spent a few seconds trying to smash the like button about that comment.

• @gardeningangel1  Jan 18

@downburst I've been off Facebook for over two years and still grope helplessly for that Like button when I return to this site.

• @andygetch  Jan 18

Rock hands, been writing a song a week in the Song Skirmish FB group, decluttering my recording area (TBH that is more for pending houseguests than FAWM although) saving the shelf with my old song idea notebooks and journals for a February looksie, volunteering for a non-profit answering questions/educating attendees about electric vehicles at various community gatherings, and oh I started a new job this year in a bit of a semi-retired career change.

• @timfatchen  Jan 18

Lessee: ripped out a kitchen. Rebuilt kitchen. Organised floor covering. Cleared yards. Repainted falt. Fixed windows. Overheated car. Took grandchildren 1000km away. Currently photographing every lodge and tree in Falls Creek. I don't know that any of that quite counts...

• @metalfoot  Jan 18

Grist for the songwriting mill, @timfatchen

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 18

I'm writing and recording songs.
    Because you can't run out of creativity.
    Creativity begets creativity.

Also - pulling out a guitar I haven't used in awhile to give it a chance to get rocked in February.

• @iwilleatyou  Jan 18

I drink.
    Lots...and lots......*sigh*.......and lots.....of drinking.
    Wine....beer....JD.....urine.
    Haha...did I just say urine out loud??

• @aesthetic72  Jan 18

So, I'm doing something new this year. I'm lining up some synth sounds now so I don't spend hours and hours looking and finding and tweaking. Hopefully that will help me produce more this year.

• @headfirstonly  Jan 19

My main task this month has been to update all the software I use to its current versions. And I've just updated Ableton Live *again* as 10.1.7 dropped this weekend (reading the release notes, it's just to add support for Novation's new Mark III Launchpad...) Other than that, I've been playing with Arturia's "Pigments" software synth and NI's "Raum" reverb, both of which I'm liking a lot.

• @bitshred Jan 20

Starting to do vocal scales. Nothing worse than a pitchy vocal. Adjusting truss rod on acoustic, and rubbing lemon oil on neck, change strings. Getting more familiar with my new imac and Logic pro x. Still trying to figure how to map the damn midi pads, It was so easy in Cubase and addictive drums with learn. Not so in Logic. Going to setup various templates with plugins/patches all ready to go. Jotting down ideas to get the juices flowing.

• @oldlostjohn  Jan 20

I went into the woods and recorded a woodpecker. Remains to see (or hear) whether I make use of it or not.

• @wacha  Jan 20

I reorganized and cleaned up my music room and updated Reaper. I probably should change my strings but odds are I won't and I'll just make do with some very old strings for the month.

• @splittybooms  Jan 20

Refraining making anything new so I can save it for FAWM.

• @mctown Jan 20

Sharpened my ink pens. Messaged Deena and Expendable Friend. Hope you all are good.

• @ayehahmur  Jan 20

@aesthetic72 That's an excellent suggestion. Definitely something I need to do too.

• @robynmackenzie  Jan 20

Currently working on updating my soundcloud and it's totally psyching me up. ๐Ÿ˜

• @bradbrubaker  Jan 21

I've gone through ye olde riff pile and documented them to help me decide which ones I want to develop and fully realize during FAWM.

• @carleybaer  Jan 21

Rock hands was number one. I have auditions on Friday to get into the music school of the university I plan to eventually graduate from, and then I'm prepping for a trip to a songwriting workshop and I leave February 1st, with school and work in between.... so I guess really my prep begins and ends with rock hands ?? but it'll be fine. It'll be fiiiiine.

• @dreamscuba  Jan 21

@silvermachine ...I have tidied up my work/music space at home...and now I can reach one of my guitars to play it.... let's see if it stays that way before FAWM....hahaha...

• @dragondreams  Jan 21

Built the guitar amplifier I'm going to be using, changed strings on two basses, three electric six string guitars and two acoustics, practised loads on the bass, decided last night that maybe I ought to learn how to play the six string guitar again...

• @nikke88 Jan 21

I have gone through my pile of old unfinished song ideas for something worth finishing during the FAWM. Some tunes lack melody, on some tunes huge chunks are missing and so on. Usually there is only mood and chord progression for the verse(s). Well, it is still a start and I usually only change the chord progression and mood during the FAWM improving.

• @konemake Jan 21

I created FAWM2020 inspiration playlist to Spotify and I've been listening to that. I have been already thinking how I could do something similar.
    I've installed some new software synths + effects, downnloaded some new sounds for synths and samplers, checked that everything is working.
    I've played around with some synth sounds on sequencer software to get some sort of routine and to remember how everything works.

• @otterchaos Jan 22

I've started actually practising piano again for the first time in a couple of years, am learning how to use Reaper, poking my partner for advice a lot (a veteran FAWMer), and starting to think of what I wanna write my first ever songs about!

• @dasbinky  Jan 22

I completely gutted my studio, repainted, and now rearranging and putting everything back in, with a conscious eye towards meaningful arrangement and acoustic dampening. It had turned into a grab bag room, now it's back to a studio.

And changing strings, getting guitars setup, the usual rigamarole. Maybe some new DAW templates.

• @paulhenry  Jan 22

Looking over old notes, old titles. Looked at uncompleted ideas from FAWM 2019. Ruminating. Priming the pump.

• @whispermouse  Jan 22

I've got a fresh notebook ready to go!

• @tuneslayer2018  Jan 22

Trying to remember that this is January and something important is going to happen in a week or so.

Also, this weekend is Conflikt, a gathering of filkers (q.v.). It seems to do a pretty good job of priming the pump. I'm scheduled for a concert set sometime during the weekend, and a bunch of the songs I plan to perform are the direct result of FAWM.

• @sync  Jan 29

I've been studying Help!, Rubber Soul, and Revolver, trying to understand the criteria for how they mixed for stereo during that period. The rules don't seem to be immediately obvious to me - or, as soon as I think I've found a rule, they break it. Anyway, I think I'm going to try to mix all my songs like that this fawm as an educational exercize. If anyone has knowledge of early stereo mixing, I'm all ears! ๐Ÿ˜

• @aflinner  Jan 29

Installed new VSTs, started reorganizing recording space (a project that will be back-burnered until after FAWM), and started writing down lots of ideas to fuel the month!

Still need to restring that one guitar, get my rock hands, hook up my mixer/monitors, finish mic-ing my drums, get a good base mix for said drums prefader, and get some new headphones (mine are on the fritz).

My cold isnโ€™t quite gone yet, but I think it will be by Saturday. ๐Ÿ™‚

• @chariotbaldwin  Jan 29

Updated / Edited my profile

Told a bunch of songwriting mates about FAWM in hopes that they will join in and challenge themselves

Bought rock hands this morning

Wrote some song titles

Gave myself a goal of 20 songs this year

Opened a folder in my google drive for FAWM (hopefully Iโ€™ll only write in this space instead of across 3 mixed softwares (facepalm))

Culled my watchlist cos it was outta control

• @postcardhelicopters  Jan 29

It seems that, to get ready for FAWM, I've just completed a half-FAWM in January, and there's a chance I'll add one more before Saturday.

...huh...

That was unexpected. I mean, I wanted to start writing songs this month so that when February rolled around I'd already be in the swing of things.

I hope I don't jinx it by mentioning these songs, here, but so far six of seven songs seem different than what I've done in the past. I'm not sure if by listening anyone can tell, but they **feel** different to me, and I like what I'm hearing.

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

(...cont.) Written sharp professional opinions. Tried to avert looming disasters. Stuck pins into the fatuous via newspaper letters. Sent pins and professional opinions to multiple politicians. Basically, blown the muse right out the window (though some good instrumentals have appeared as recompense)

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

(...cont.) and put the electric fiddle down and picked up the Pacifica to try to get some decent calluses back again on my left hand!

• @konemake Jan 29

Got my Casios and laptop usb audio interface back home. Connected tube preamp to audio interface. Tested to record them a bit. It worked. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @sbs2018 Jan 29

Iโ€™ve now exhausted myself getting ready for FAWM (taking classes on multiple DAWs, downloading plug-ins, etc), Iโ€™m a bit burned out. Maybe when it actually starts, Iโ€™ll be inspired/motivated. Anybody relate?

• @onceandfuturegabi Jan 29

I've done things to become less ready, if that counts! I'm moving on Feb 2nd, so my first songs are definitely gonna be getting done on my little mobile recorder. Minimalism can be good for creativity, though, so I'm gonna look forward to the challenge of not having any of my normal setup.

On the upside, by the end of the month I should have an actual dedicated studio space set up in my new place, which will be SO MUCH BETTER than having to fit my recording into the times my partner isn't going around our apartment.

• @keithcuts  Jan 29

Clear out some space on the HD. Get active here.

• @tawny249  Jan 29

Ah yes, I forgot.... I introduced a new Fawmling to the community. ๐Ÿ˜ And got rock hands. And watchlisted a ton of new people.

• @franniezest Jan 29

Found a way to make my 30 year old keyboard work again. Found my sonโ€™s kazoo. Learned I sound awful at kazoo.

Made sure I remembered my fawm login info and logged in. thatโ€™s it!!!

• @mishykatz  Jan 29

Wowza! I have updated my profile (Hi @krayzie003 ) My recording space is ready, did a new setup there earlier this month. Started posting in the forums a couple days ago and plan to work on my ongoing potential title list.

• @zecoop  Jan 29

Playing? Unfortunately, no... I have straightened up my studio a little. I need to do more. I moved all my guitar amps into the extra bedroom (sorry guests!) because I like having them in a different room with cables all the say down the hall. ๐Ÿ˜€

I'm going to (hopefully) record some drum parts tonight so I can share them. I have not gotten even close to doing that yet.

I've posted a bunch on the forums - that counts, right?!?!!

• @rainchaser  Jan 29

I sold my Ibanez ASR-70 and recently gotten a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster, but I'm planning on taking it back before February. So just acoustic guitar this time around. I might even just use my phone to record this time around.

• @seemanski  Jan 29

I've played a tonne of Rocksmith 2014, learnt scales and read some how to produce music books. All of which will account for absolutely nothing when the panic sinks in.

• @sbs2018 Jan 30

@seemanski - Exactly - lol!

• @phenola Jan 30

Made my plan. Time will make a fool of it.

1. rising thing
    2. Amaj7 fingerpicked thing
    3. polka thing
    4. rock thing
    5. fingerpicked nylon string thing (fast double thumb)
    6. bass tapping thing
    7. "hybrid pick thing"
    8. slide thing?
    9. detrimental thing?
    10. scallywang thing
    11. shoegaze guitar scree thing
    12. slap bass thing
    13. anticlockwise thing
    14. surf thing

• @boyatheart Jan 30

I caught a massive cold.

• @postcardhelicopters  Jan 30

@boyatheart -- here's some song titles for you (P.S. Get Well Soon!)

"In the Hall of the Kleenex King"
    "(My Nose It Does) Da Doo Run Run, Da Doo Run Run"
    "Baby, You Can Drive My Car (to the Pharmacy)"
    "Watch That Man (Sneeze)"

• @boyatheart Jan 30

@postcardhelicopters Thanks! My mantra right now is "I Will Survive". Actually this a fairly normal for me to get sick a week before FAWM, except last year and possibly the year before.
    One of my songs from FAWM 2017 I kept the raspy vocals for the finished version because they actually worked perfectly for the song.
    I found my inner Tom Waits!

• @mdavisto  Jan 30

I had a bath.

• @dasbinky  Jan 30

I am almost done with my super-cheap studio soundproofing project! I bought a few comforters at the thrift store, put grommets in them, and I'm hanging them around the room to make acoustic baffling. My studio is also my guitar showroom, so I've figured out a system for muting the acoustic resonance when I'm mixing or tracking. The room is pretty close to dead now!

I'm not sure this makes a huge difference, but it makes me happy. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• @snort  Jan 30

The Binky studio is looking great! I vacuumed the floor in my space and filled the fridge with diet coke.

• @gbg2016  Jan 30

I got sick; took a day off work to be sick, watch Law and Order and take care of non-music nonsense; then updated FAWM profile, deleted everything from Soundcloud, and joined you in the forums.

• @yam655 Jan 30

I've been doing some practice, which for me means songwriting.

I bought some potatoes. (This will make sense February 1st.)

Lyric transcription is a painfully slow part of my process, so I've been experimenting with ways to speed it up.

• @stuartbenbow Jan 30

Um.... my daughter got me a few legal pads for Christmas, and I cleaned my desk. ๐Ÿคฃ

• @kovbleu  Jan 30

Cleaned my studio and organized. Stuck some led lights to my computer monitors for a personal light show and ambiance. Bought a big fat, new notebook. Made sure I had some pens that work. Got groceries last night and food prepped some fruits and veggies so I don't starve myself or eat total crap right off the bat. Made my cat move to a new table off of my computer desk (we'll see how that goes...) Bought some 9 volt batteries for my bass and a back-up. Did my yearly dutiful attempt to recruit new musician friends to check out FAWM. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @vomvorton  Jan 30

I've now changed three sets of strings and cut my hair (which I always try to do before FAWM - I think better with less of it). Pretty much ready, I think!

• @rainchaser  Feb 1

Mostly just recording issues. I realized the songs from my last FAWM were recorded mostly too low to be heard over the smartphone speakers. I've learned that recording an average of at least -18 dbfs makes it louder but not too loud. I've also learned that in amp sims fake cabs can kill your tone! If I have the money, I'll definitely look forward to getting an IR Recab plugin.

• @alboe Feb 1

Last week I cleaned up and reorganized my music room that had been left unused for almost a year. Updated some software, checked if all the cables where connected and in working order etc.
    Relearned a bunch of chords on guitar as I only seem to play it in February.
    Yesterday I thought Iโ€™d better start practicing a bit of piano too because thatโ€™s also something I only do one month a year and my damper pedal suddenly decided to stop working.
    Luckily I found out just in time to be able to order a new one online and have it delivered to my house this afternoon so Iโ€™m good to go.

• @darcistrutt  Feb 1

Rock hands! I practiced on piano or ukulele nearly every day in January. My brother added memory to my laptop and did an update for me. He loaded a newer version of Audacity. Hopefully it will be similar enough Iโ€™ll adapt quickly. Itโ€™s awesome to see so many names I recognize!! Happy FAWM everyone!

• @loveonamixtape  Feb 2

After 20 years of playing guitar, I finally started practicing, like really practicing scales and technique and everything, a few months before FAWM started. The result of which is that now I can play with a pic. *laugh/cry*

• @gazebo Feb 2

Not much! Did a practice song last weekend, copied out some stuff on scales, keys and chords for reference. Set up a template in Reaper today

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...