what have you done to get ready for FAWM?

Skip to the bottom

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

have you reorganized your recording space? have you changed strings? have you sharpened your pencil? have you worked new gear into your work space?

me, myself, i've changed strings on my 2 acoustics and 12 string (and strung them with brass endpins, just to see how it sounds), my mandolin, my dobro, and a couple of basses. i'm waiting for my 6-string bass string sets to get here for the two 6-strings i own. i've recorded some musical ideas lately, though most will not be used in FAWM. i've even been looking over my song idea list, seeing if any titles/ lines speak to me.

what about you?

• @krayzie003 1 week

I updated my profile lol

• @ampersandman  1 week

I have been making some beats, made space on my hard drive and started a vocal training online course.

• @atitlan 1 week

I am so much more prepared than @krayzie003, I've updated my profile AND I've briefly contemplated recording a warm up song before the end of January.

• @johnstaples  1 week

I got rock hands and that is about it so far!

• @aeye 1 week

Prepping some patches and getting our sound set in order for this year. Also getting our plot ironed out for The Explorers 4. can't wait!

• @aeye 1 week

seems it double posted. whoops

• @drivelmonk  1 week

Gonna make sure my studio area is clean. Next step is to warn the spouse it's about to get nuts up in here (first FAWM since living together). I want to jot down a few of the goals and song scraps I have so I have some meager framework. And that's about it, honestly.

• @bootlegger 1 week

I wrote 30 years worth of fictional journal entries for a character I'm using for my fawm album this year. I plan to create lyrics from the journals as if I were the son of that character who finds them after their father passes away and turn those into songs. I plan on creating a fully produced album from it. So we'll see how that goes.

• @juoppis  1 week

- a new profile text (check)
    - a new profile pic (check)
    - a new SoundCloud (check)
    - donated for rock hands (check)

Guess I'm ready.

• @gubna 1 week

Put new strings on guitars, wiped SoundCloud, making an idea list, prepping to rebuild studio this weekend. Need to back up and clear room on the laptop! What else? Oh yeah, rehearse to get chops up.

• @alonetogether 1 week

I got sick, so hopefully it doesn't happen during february

• @vomvorton  1 week

Done:
    Set up new loop pedal
    Wrote a warm up song
    Practiced piano
    (Mostly) finished project from last year
    Updated profile

To do:
    Change strings
    Clear some hard drive space
    Not get ill (good call @alonetogether - FAWM flu has seriously affected my last two Februaries!)

• @ayehahmur  1 week

I've given myself a (semi-secret) theme to work to for lyrics and suddenly song ideas are popping up left, right and centre and I can't control them! IT'S TOO EARLY!!!

• @kanttila 1 week

New profile pic and...perhaps I'll restring my Tele and tune my drums a bit. By tune I mean tighten them to whatever ao they're louder.

I'm thinking of ideas for the theme of my next album also. I need something.

• @kirjis  1 week

Rock hands, new strings for my basses, setting up some sound presets in Guitarix, learning more keyboard and music reading basics ... that I've neglected my whole life. With so much excellent new Youtube music education material, there's really no excuse anymore. FAWM is a great motivator!

• @valeriecox  1 week

Got my rock hands and changed my profile pic. I'm really far too lazy to do anything else.

• @metalfoot  1 week

Rock Hands: on
    Brain generating dozens of song fragments a day, unprompted: activated
    Practicing a bit of guitar and/or mandolin daily: check
    Just need Feb to start and I'm ready!

• @izaakalexander  1 week

I haven't even changed strings. I used to practice. This'll be a strange one.

• @tiller2  1 week

Hands of rock secured. Some scattered lyric and music ideas. I've got a new Scarlett interface and my first DAW--and two weeks to learn how to use 'em. There's a disassembled bed on the floor of my music room that I need to get rid of, too...

• @sync  1 week

The closer it gets, the more I fantasize my first allegedly spontaneous song. I play all the instruments and create complete arrangements in my head at work in meetings while I stare blankly at the convener.

• @w1n  1 week

Got my rock hands on, and I've started to both try scribble down some lyrics ideas and play/rehearse a little bit everyday to get back into the groove.

• @kirjis  1 week

@sync Yes, exactly 😁

• @ustaknow 1 week

I'm taking a different approach this time, -- to get me in the mood I've watched:
    - "The New Guy" for the Funk, little guy feel, and laughs (I think it's funny, imo) then
    - "Soylent Green", C. Heston version
    - "Omega Man", C. Heston version
    - "Last Man on Earth", V. Price version
    - I have the full "Planet of the Apes", 5-originals, bundle in the Cue with the 2+hr "behind the scenes" documentary (very well done, imo, just watched that last night)

Done, since, -- the general "News" for my -- "Morning-Mourning-Writes" (what I do most days/mornings) are otherwise based upon the great daily "News" feeds and feeds into my initial Music Theme I am going for. I can't say why, just a strong pull in that direction.

I had a very fruitful 5090! (so happy with this 5090), then hit with a ton of creativity as it ended, -- that all were subjected to πŸ˜€ on the "https://www.facebook.com/groups/fawmr..." -- group πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€ -- it all just kept coming, I just could not stop or get it out fast enough; and I even feel a nice "Shift" too, musically, which is always welcome!

Then, it all kinda dried up about the first of the year for no reason, or far less than normal, -- until I was then hit with a tremendous wave of "PTSD" (like haven't felt in a long time and not to often anyway)... so I queried "music" about that... and to my very much much-surprise, there were lists for it!! OMG! Who knew!? (Like a field of weeds, no- "types"/formulas, just folks personal "hits" it seems.)

Since most Doctors are asheholes, and I've demonstrated I know more about what's with me than they do, seeking a huge paycheck out of it to boot, -- I tend to expose myself to triggers, not guard from them. (Works for me πŸ˜€ ) Also, those Films are hysterical anyway, -- they don't demonstrate the endurance, stamina, spine to endure prolonged 24x7 daily sheit storms over years of time, "alone" without end or sight of hope, earthly anyway πŸ˜‰ .

Tso, derUgo! SinsUaskid!

• @nikke88 1 week

I have listed some interesting phrases for song titles.

• @sw1n3flu  1 week

I appear to have drunk a lot of beer.

• @cts  1 week

Clearing up space on the HD. Taking January to learn some nuances of a few plugins I bought during Christmas. Jotting notes for ideas in the notebook and practicing. That's about it for now.

• @gubna 1 week

Clearing room on the computer. Cleared SoundCloud page off. Got some lists - possible song titles, ideas for sound experiments. Might make an album cover for band amp. Tomorrow I’m planning to rip up/replace carpet in my studio and rebuild it all.

• @sbs2018 1 week

Been watching tutorials like mad, learning new tricks, hoping to remember them when it’s time to write some music, rearranging my studio a zillion times, thinking I should start thinking about lyrics.

• @klaus  1 week

Since Win 7 expired I'm between computers. I have to either load new Reaper and VST's to my new Win 10 computer or keep the Win 7 offline as my music computer.

I've started to do my daily vocal warm-ups again.

I'll soon start writing new songs because I haven't done anything after the exhausting Win of 50/90 Challenge last summer and it takes me about a week or two to get into that melody writing zone. Keeping that energy all bottled up for February doesn't work for me. Better flex those music muscles in advance. πŸ˜€

• @metalfoot  1 week

Got into a two vehicle car accident this evening. That should be good for a few songs.

• @jonmeta  1 week

Downloaded the sounds for my DAW that were still in the cloud.
    Learning Scarbee Funk Guitarist. Because, more funk this year.
    Making a list of possible skirmish titles, because the best way to force myself to do a skirmish is to lead one.
    @metalfoot Sorry about the unwanted inspiration!

• @ayehahmur  1 week

Jeez @metalfoot ! Hope everyone is all right.

• @alyxanderjames  1 week

Updated my profile, donated (awaiting the rock hands), started pondering whether I want this year’s FAWM to have a theme. I should probably restring the guitar...

• @metalfoot  1 week

@jonmeta @ayehahmur Yeah, everyone's OK. The cars are both in need of serious repairs/possible replacement (leave that to insurance to figure out) but I was treated/released from hospital and the occupants of the other vehicle declined medical attention at the scene.

• @tiller2  1 week

@metalfoot Dang, glad everyone's okay. Write well, and drive safe!

• @gubna 1 week

Ripped out the carpet in my studio. Two words: black mold! Off to get vinegar!

• @silvermachine  1 week

Oh man, I've started too soon!
    I cleaned out my studio room too early and now I've gone and messed it up again. Bollocks!

• @downburst  1 week

I have stayed alive.

• @atitlan 1 week

@downburst Definitely an advantageous starting point ...

• @downburst  1 week

I know, right?

• @sph  1 week

@sbs2018 i'm exactly the same.
    Maybe I should dust off the DAW

• @gardeningangel1  1 week

Uploaded/ learning Bandlab. Secured lodging. Got my rockhands on and jazzhands up. Somebody gave me a violin so I've been practicing my swearwords.

• @feeslip58  6 days

Every year,in the last week of January a supportive group of songwriter friends put this on in our area, free and open to everyone. A fun way to get ready for FAWM---https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?...

• @downburst  6 days

@gardeningangel1 I'm so Facebook-conditioned that I spent a few seconds trying to smash the like button about that comment.

• @gardeningangel1  6 days

@downburst I've been off Facebook for over two years and still grope helplessly for that Like button when I return to this site.

• @andygetch  6 days

Rock hands, been writing a song a week in the Song Skirmish FB group, decluttering my recording area (TBH that is more for pending houseguests than FAWM although) saving the shelf with my old song idea notebooks and journals for a February looksie, volunteering for a non-profit answering questions/educating attendees about electric vehicles at various community gatherings, and oh I started a new job this year in a bit of a semi-retired career change.

• @timfatchen  6 days

Lessee: ripped out a kitchen. Rebuilt kitchen. Organised floor covering. Cleared yards. Repainted falt. Fixed windows. Overheated car. Took grandchildren 1000km away. Currently photographing every lodge and tree in Falls Creek. I don't know that any of that quite counts...

• @metalfoot  6 days

Grist for the songwriting mill, @timfatchen

• @stevenwesleyguiles  6 days

I'm writing and recording songs.
    Because you can't run out of creativity.
    Creativity begets creativity.

Also - pulling out a guitar I haven't used in awhile to give it a chance to get rocked in February.

• @iwilleatyou 6 days

I drink.
    Lots...and lots......*sigh*.......and lots.....of drinking.
    Wine....beer....JD.....urine.
    Haha...did I just say urine out loud??

• @aesthetic72  6 days

So, I'm doing something new this year. I'm lining up some synth sounds now so I don't spend hours and hours looking and finding and tweaking. Hopefully that will help me produce more this year.

• @headfirstonly  5 days

My main task this month has been to update all the software I use to its current versions. And I've just updated Ableton Live *again* as 10.1.7 dropped this weekend (reading the release notes, it's just to add support for Novation's new Mark III Launchpad...) Other than that, I've been playing with Arturia's "Pigments" software synth and NI's "Raum" reverb, both of which I'm liking a lot.

• @bitshred 4 days

Starting to do vocal scales. Nothing worse than a pitchy vocal. Adjusting truss rod on acoustic, and rubbing lemon oil on neck, change strings. Getting more familiar with my new imac and Logic pro x. Still trying to figure how to map the damn midi pads, It was so easy in Cubase and addictive drums with learn. Not so in Logic. Going to setup various templates with plugins/patches all ready to go. Jotting down ideas to get the juices flowing.

• @oldlostjohn 4 days

I went into the woods and recorded a woodpecker. Remains to see (or hear) whether I make use of it or not.

• @wacha  4 days

I reorganized and cleaned up my music room and updated Reaper. I probably should change my strings but odds are I won't and I'll just make do with some very old strings for the month.

• @splittybooms 4 days

Refraining making anything new so I can save it for FAWM.

• @mctown 4 days

Sharpened my ink pens. Messaged Deena and Expendable Friend. Hope you all are good.

• @ayehahmur  4 days

@aesthetic72 That's an excellent suggestion. Definitely something I need to do too.

• @robynmackenzie  4 days

Currently working on updating my soundcloud and it's totally psyching me up. 😁

• @bradbrubaker  3 days

I've gone through ye olde riff pile and documented them to help me decide which ones I want to develop and fully realize during FAWM.

• @carleybaer  3 days

Rock hands was number one. I have auditions on Friday to get into the music school of the university I plan to eventually graduate from, and then I'm prepping for a trip to a songwriting workshop and I leave February 1st, with school and work in between.... so I guess really my prep begins and ends with rock hands ?? but it'll be fine. It'll be fiiiiine.

• @dreamscuba  3 days

@silvermachine ...I have tidied up my work/music space at home...and now I can reach one of my guitars to play it.... let's see if it stays that way before FAWM....hahaha...

• @dragondreams  3 days

Built the guitar amplifier I'm going to be using, changed strings on two basses, three electric six string guitars and two acoustics, practised loads on the bass, decided last night that maybe I ought to learn how to play the six string guitar again...

• @nikke88 3 days

I have gone through my pile of old unfinished song ideas for something worth finishing during the FAWM. Some tunes lack melody, on some tunes huge chunks are missing and so on. Usually there is only mood and chord progression for the verse(s). Well, it is still a start and I usually only change the chord progression and mood during the FAWM improving.

• @konemake 3 days

I created FAWM2020 inspiration playlist to Spotify and I've been listening to that. I have been already thinking how I could do something similar.
    I've installed some new software synths + effects, downnloaded some new sounds for synths and samplers, checked that everything is working.
    I've played around with some synth sounds on sequencer software to get some sort of routine and to remember how everything works.

• @otterchaos 2 days

I've started actually practising piano again for the first time in a couple of years, am learning how to use Reaper, poking my partner for advice a lot (a veteran FAWMer), and starting to think of what I wanna write my first ever songs about!

• @dasbinky  2 days

I completely gutted my studio, repainted, and now rearranging and putting everything back in, with a conscious eye towards meaningful arrangement and acoustic dampening. It had turned into a grab bag room, now it's back to a studio.

And changing strings, getting guitars setup, the usual rigamarole. Maybe some new DAW templates.

• @paulhenry  2 days

Looking over old notes, old titles. Looked at uncompleted ideas from FAWM 2019. Ruminating. Priming the pump.

• @whispermouse  2 days

I've got a fresh notebook ready to go!

• @tuneslayer2018  2 days

Trying to remember that this is January and something important is going to happen in a week or so.

Also, this weekend is Conflikt, a gathering of filkers (q.v.). It seems to do a pretty good job of priming the pump. I'm scheduled for a concert set sometime during the weekend, and a bunch of the songs I plan to perform are the direct result of FAWM.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...