inspirational quotes

Skip to the bottom

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 14

or, just quotes to think about. interesting quotes

The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.
    Joseph Campbell

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 15

One day I will find the right words and they will be simple.
    Jack Kerouac

• @paulhenry  Jan 15

I think I posted this last year. It continues to hearten me.

“Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to."

[MovieMaker Magazine #53 - Winter, January 22, 2004 ]”

― Jim Jarmusch

• @gubna Jan 15

Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.
    - Yoda

• @embersofautumn Jan 15

"I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends." - Walt Whitman

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 16

The writing of a song is a triumph of the human spirit.
    Van Dyke Parks

• @steffan  Jan 16

"Life's a bitch and then you die"
    -Nas

• @tawny249  Jan 16

Thanks for the post @paulhenry. That speaks to me too. As for a quote... Let's go with delightfully off topic : "Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you." - a t-shirt

• @philkmills  Jan 16

I have been introduced to something called inspirobot (https://inspirobot.me), which touches on mundane, sarcastic, surreal and a variety of other modes.

Today, I got, "After the first date, comes the middle finger."

• @tawny249  Jan 16

Oh Inspirobot. Hi again. I can't escape... 😁

• @nikke88 Jan 16

"Inspiration is a guest that does not willingly visit the lazy." - Pyotr Tchaikovsky

• @jonmeta  Jan 16

“Where does a man get inspiration to write a song like that?”
    “He gets it from the landlady once a month.”
    (Grace Kelly and James Stewart in “Rear Window”)

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 17

"'You are not required to finish your work, yet neither are you permitted to desist from it.' This is from Pirke Aboth, or “The Ethics of the Fathers” ... a collection of wisdom from the Jewish Talmudic sages, in this case, Rabbi Tarfon."It’s a beautiful concept. It says you have an obligation to labor, to continue trying and making your way through the world, in essence, making a difference. At the same time, the instruction also focuses you on the effort, not the outcome.
    The main idea is the project, not the success."

• @pipewrench67  Jan 17

After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. - Aldous Huxley
    Stolen from here
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/gr...

• @pcob1993  Jan 17

Little boys should be obscene and long-haired.
    Pcob c. 1970
    Oh how we larfed....

• @spikedirection Jan 17

I just bought a t shirt that said 'Save Fuel. Burn Cars'.
    that'll be a punk song by march 1st

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 18

Good poets borrow, great poets steal.
    Picasso? TS Eliot?

no

So, here is the paragraph from the essay which contains the language which Bill Hammick has bastardized to make a statement that neither T.S. Eliot nor Picasso ever made:

One of the surest tests [of the superiority or inferiority of a poet] is the way in which a poet borrows. Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole of feeling which is unique, utterly different than that from which it is torn; the bad poet throws it into something which has no cohesion. A good poet will usually borrow from authors remote in time, or alien in language, or diverse in interest.
    TS Eliot

• @tcelliott  Jan 18

I took a bunch of these from a year or two ago and made memes/pictures out of them. I'm gonna share a few, I hope y'all don't mind.

• @tcelliott  Jan 18

• @tcelliott  Jan 18

• @tcelliott  Jan 18

• @tcelliott  Jan 18

• @tcelliott  Jan 18

• @alyxanderjames  Jan 18

I just found this note from a songwriting workshop in my notebook: “Trust yourself, and do it often.” (I think I can credit @stevejdawson123 with this one.)

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 19

Writing a song is as easy as falling off a log. Writing a good one is not.
    Bono

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 20

You can't blame a writer for what the character says.
    Truman Capote

• @scottlake Jan 20

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. -MLK jr.

• @robynmackenzie  Jan 20

Ooh! I write inspirational quotes on the whiteboard at work every day so I have tons! Current favorite:

You are the sky. Everything else is just the weather. -Pema Chödrön

• @ampersandman  Jan 20

Inspirobot doesn't let you down.

• @scottlake Jan 21

Outer space exists because it’s too afraid to be on the same planet as Chuck Norris.

• @downburst  Jan 21

Argh, that Beckett quote should have periods, not question marks. He is saying "*I* have always tried and always failed."

• @bradbrubaker  Jan 21

"Do it again. Just take the suck out of it."
    -genuine college professor quote

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 21

@downburst
    here's an image i found of that samuel beckett quote. i had it in my quote list as all periods, but never knew why-- i thought it was a typo. here's the whole thing, often separated into two quotes:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rf-... GtnKSucW79a2vP3BncVsN0BKej8xQA5MLIPoLmOsRDdIzjzQofjHCfNcV6IJVk5yvEeovu WQ0-WaIpUHbFOlLdsdMw73WKF7aafzrniAkM_T-kiePGn0vSD2NRng35QORFo9O56dRFTU6-HCCMOjFn7dQQ9IymZzYPfwshz0nl_QM7iQG0n11NaV6Ho_1FrfTqO0HCgV706KMcOE6wlC-LoWGNgpwGVijuuOB7pxjR0Bxv1x5ORHWbwfdQgo4QiIrGttBkzy9dPaOPZNWM1aDtn84Q9 hIPD1W8PgRtd0AR1LsZmniNRT2jjYffiTIr8VEHiSxeiSACCaN5R8wTGTehUKDHNB1kmE3 GnJ5Ewxo0ZwKwu_E9nL0lN1KDJ_N1m4BWauO8_onKAT27dya8eHQsdB9NvLX07ZUIBSbfL OyjARh61pjJYQZFcQsBq-2tUQ3KWCDaufiIKCXYGFdMUut9MMay5_UURMD1GRrX4IQMXksXTmwcRU9oYjhYuDOAOBVP EDVDN0mE7ME1KbhDnYyvgiRjdTqPoHmwOImZSdhzdCBOkLFTgK0g8vibQ0Gm4nUplxqZA=w700-h360-no

• @downburst  Jan 21

That... didn't work. 😀

Here's a link to the actual text, which is from a story called "Worstward Ho." It's not the inspiring piece you might think.

https://genius.com/Samuel-beckett-wor...

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 22

The only art I'll ever study is stuff I can steal from.
    David Bowie

yeah, i can't even edit that post that is so evil, two above. can anyone report it?

• @dreamscuba  Jan 22

Don't worry about walking a mile in my shoes, just try a day thinking in my head...
    Unknown (well unknown to me).....

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 23

Prose is a museum where all the old weapons of poetry are kept.
    T.E. Hulme

• @lowhum Jan 23

»I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry as I need it.«

(John Cage)

• @andygetch  Jan 24

“Bit by bit, putting it together...
    Piece by piece, only way to make a work of art.
    Every moment makes a contribution,
    Every little detail plays a part.
    Having just the vision's no solution,
    Everything depends on execution,
    Putting it together, that's what counts.”
    ― Stephen Sondheim, Sunday in the Park With George

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 24

There is nothing new under the sun.
    Ecclesiastes 1:9

• @cynthiawolff  Jan 24

Good one @paulhenry

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 25

Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope.

Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith.

Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love.

No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as it is from our standpoint. Therefore we must be saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.
    Reinhold Niebuhr

• @tcelliott  Jan 25

• @tcelliott  Jan 25

• @tcelliott  Jan 25

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 26

What is originality? Undetected plagiarism.
    William Ralph Inge

• @robynmackenzie  Jan 26

Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things break, and all things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you. -L.R. Knost

• @bking  Jan 26

Make it so. -Jean Luc Picard

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 27

All my life I've looked at words as though I were seeing them for the first time.
    Ernest Hemingway

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 28

It is better to take what doesn't belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
    Mark Twain

• @pcob1993  Jan 28

"... on his wise shoulders through the checkerwork of leaves the sun flung spangles, gold, like dancing coins.."
    James Joyce from early draft of Stephen Hero

• @guatecoop  Jan 28

I see FAWM as a sort of travel and also work hard to travel a lot, so this quote has always meant a lot to me.....especially today—
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 29

Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.
    Suzy Kassem

• @bking  Jan 29

I stumbled across this in another forum post and think it may be particularly apt.

Doing weird shit is kind of our brand. — @dasbinky

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 30

The science of this world, which has become a great power, has, especially in the last century, analysed everything divine handed down to us in the holy books. After this cruel analysis the learned of this world have nothing left of all that was sacred of old. But they have only analysed the parts and overlooked the whole, and indeed their blindness is marvelous.
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky

• @nateger  Jan 30

@tsunamidaily Your quote on doubt hits home. Thank you for sharing.

“Making art can feel dangerous and revealing. Making art is dangerous and revealing. Making art precipitates self-doubt, stirring deep waters that lay between what you know you should be, and what you fear you might be.” - David Bayles from "Art and Fear"

This is just a gentle reminder that resistance is a natural part of the creative process. It is my intention to meet this resistance with compassion and create anyways. Like, the resistance can come along for the ride but I'm gonna get these songs written.

• @dzd  Jan 30

Nothings really wrong it's just the way I feel, if you don't like it, write your own songs.
    -Wayne Coyne

• @dzd  Jan 30

@tsunamidaily
    I had that Ecclesiastics one in mind before I read through lol

• @scottlake Jan 30

Chuck Norris crosses the road and NOBODY questioned his reasons for doing so

• @jamkar  Jan 31

I am the most fortunate self-taught harpist and non-speaking actor who has ever lived.
    Harpo Marx

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 31

You start out as a phony and become real.
    Glenn O'Brien

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 1

No tears in the author no tears in the reader. No surprise in the author no surprise in the reader.
    Robert Frost

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 2

Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy. At the end of the copy you will find your self.
    Yohji Yamamoto

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 3

If you get an idea you just elaborate on it. If you're singing about a house, you talk about the shingles, you talk about the door, the window... there aren't any rules. I hate to sound flowery, but that's what i learned from Bob Dylan. He did that. He broke all the rules. His songs didn't have any bridges.
    Lucinda Williams

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 4

i have stolen all of these moves from all these great players. I just try to do them proud, the guys who came before, because i learned so much from them. It's all in the name of the game. It's a lot bigger than me.
    Kobe Bryant 1978-2020 RIP

• @rainchaser  Feb 4

"What do you want meaning for? Life is desire, not meaning." - Charlie Chaplin

• @chasedavid Feb 4

Suck my dick - Aristotle.

• @torniojaws Feb 4

• @panka Feb 4

@torniojaws very real 😉

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 6

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.
    Jack London, The Turtles of Tasman

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 7

My interest in making music has been to create something that does not exist that I would like to listen to. I wanted to hear music that hadn't yet happened, by putting together things that suggested a new thing which did not yet exist.
    Brian Eno

• @celineellis  Feb 7

There were times when I blundered and got a dreaded look from the lads. But that was a good thing, because it meant I had tried something I hadn’t done before.” John Bonham

• @gflatminor  Feb 8

There's another way of writing a song, of course. Just talking to somebody that ain't there. That's the best way. That's the truest way. Then it just becomes a question of how heroic your speech is. To me it's something to strive after. - Bob Dylan

• @scottlake Feb 8

Chuck Norris can make scissors beat rock.

• @scottlake Feb 8

There are two ways to live your life: One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 8

The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him”
    Leo Tolstoy, The Kingdom of God Is Within You

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 9

The work you do when you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life.
    Jessica Hische

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 10

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
    Jack London

FAWM-- a club for inspiration.

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 11

You can't connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards.
    Steve Jobs

• @robynmackenzie  Feb 12

Ask not what the world needs; ask what makes you come alive, and then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
    -Howard Thurman

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 12

You can't blame a writer for what the character says.
    Truman Capote

• @spacehoers420  Feb 12

"Hi! How are you?" - Daniel Johnston.

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 13

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    Howard Aiken

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 14

Where there is music, there can be no evil.
    Miguel de Cervantes

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 15

It is not necessary that you leave the house. Remain at your table and listen. Do not even listen, only wait. Do not even wait, be wholly still and alone. The world will present itself to you for its unmasking, it can do no other, in ecstasy it will writhe at your feet.
    Franz Kafka

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 16

I will incline mine ear to a parable: I will open my dark saying upon the harp.
    Psaims 49:4

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 17

Distance and difference are the secret tonic of creativity. When we get home, home is still the same. But something in our mind has been changed, and that changes everything.
    Jonah Lehrer

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 18

I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink
    Tom Waits

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 19

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words, that cannot remain silent.
    Victor Hugo

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 20

Complain about the way other people make software by making software.
    Andre Torrez

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 21

A confidence man knows he's lying; that limits his scope. But a successful shaman believes what he says — and belief is contagious; there is no limit to his scope.
    Jubal Harshaw

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 22

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 23

Modern art = I could do that + Yeah, but you didn't.
    Craig Damrauer

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 23

Wes Montgomery played impossible things on the guitar because it was never pointed out to him that they were impossible. - Ronnie Scott

• @tcelliott  Feb 23

• @tcelliott  Feb 23

• @jamkar  Feb 23

To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time.”
    ― Leonard Bernstein

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 24

The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• @dzd  Feb 24

hahaha @tsunamidaily
    that daniel johnson one cracks me up

@jamkar I've heard that just never who it was attributed to, thanks

probably butchering this, but

"when music hits, you feel no pain" bob marley

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 25

Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.
    Kurt Vonnegut

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 26

Be regular and orderly in your life, that you may be violent and original in your work.
    Gustave Flaubert

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 26

" I literally just sit with my guitar and see what happens... Sometimes boring things happen, so I just push on until they get interesting."
    - @sapient

• @sapient  Feb 26

@wobbiewobbit 🤣🤣🤣

• @gm7 Feb 26

This is a takeoff on an old adage...somebody said and i can't remember whom. " all is fair in love and war..only the winners have cheated"
    I think songwriter are honest!!

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 27

Prose is a museum where all the old weapons of poetry are kept.
    T.E. Hulme

• @jamkar  Feb 27

Who you gonna believe, me or your own two eyes?
    Chico Marx

• @tsunamidaily  Feb 28

She rescued me. I'd be playing in a steak house right now if it wasn't for her. I wouldn't even be playing in a steak house. I'd be _cooking_ in a steak house.
    Tom Waits on his wife and collaborator, Kathleen Brennan

• @tsunamidaily  Mar 1

We are all born mad. Some remain so.
    Samuel Beckett

• @karlsburg25  Mar 1

Check out a bit of einstein tail ending my song 2020. https://fawm.org/songs/110103/

• @tcelliott  Mar 2

• @tcelliott  Mar 2

• @darcistrutt  Mar 2

It's Saint David's Day today (my ancestry is Welsh). "Do ye the little things in life", Saint David. Gwnewch y pethau bychain mewn bywyd.

• @tcelliott  Mar 2

• @tcelliott  Mar 2

And lastly, I hope you two don't mind @wobbiewobbit and @sapient but I did this one, too:

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 2

@tcelliott great 😀

• @tsunamidaily  Mar 2

Sometimes you just get in there and force yourself to work, and maybe something good will come out, ya know? Deadlines and things make you creative. Opportunity and telling yourself you have all the time in the world, all the money in the world, all the colors in the palette, anything you want-that just kills creativity.
    Jack White

• @sapient  Mar 2

@tcelliott Ooo. I should get that framed!!! 🤣🤣🤣

• @tsunamidaily  Mar 3

Art is the most beautiful deception of all. And although
    people try to incorporate the everyday events of life in it, we must hope that it will remain a deception lest it become a utilitarian thing, sad as a factory.
    Claude Debussy

• @tsunamidaily  Mar 4

What we respond to in any work of art is the artist's struggle against his or her limitations.
    Saul Steinberg

• @tsunamidaily  Mar 5

My strength, probably, is I can recognize a song in a few bars. I spot the embryo there. I've been writing since so early on that the antenna is really well-developed. If I pick up an instrument, it'll come to me. I don't go searching. I don't have that God aspect about it. I prefer to think of myself as an antenna. There's only one song, and Adam and Eve wrote it;
    the rest is a variation on a theme.
    Keith Richards

• @tsunamidaily  Mar 14

MUSICIAN: Are there taboos in music?

ENO: There are social taboos, for instance, "going soft" is taboo. People often say of composers who, like myself, started off doing things that seemed wild and manic, then do some things that aren't wild and manic, that their music has become escapist and has nothing to do with the world we live in. My reply to that is we live in many different worlds and can to some extent choose which world we live in. And acknowledging only the harsh urban reality, the grit, grime and struggle, then you create that world too. You don't just reflect it, you make more of it. If I insist on living in a world that's more mysterious and diffuse than that, then I create that too--not only for me but for other people who also agree that that world exists. Most taboos are ideological positions that people fail to realize are merely temporary positions. The one I just referred to--the harsh urban reality--assumes that it can't be music unless it has those abrasive qualities, but that's just not true. This is something of this time and place and plenty of other music has existed without any of that aspect at all.
    Brian Eno

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...