lessons? which lessons have you benefited from?

Skip to the bottom

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

so, i'm going to register to take some introductory cello lessons, since i just picked up a cello in the pawn shop recently. i have no idea how to hold the instrument or the bow, though my intonation is ok, from years of playing fretless bass, and i'm familiar with the tuning concept and chord shapes from playing mandolin.
    i took a few bass lessons when i first started playing, right out of college, and had a limited piano class in college and a few semesters of vocal training. everything else i play is self-taught, including guitar, which is my main instrument after bass. i always thought the way you learn an instrument is to buy one. but i don't want to learn a bunch of bad technique i have to unlearn later on, on cello.
    what lessons have you had that helped the most in developing your songwriting? what lessons contributed the most to your development as a musician? i'm hoping that the cello adds another tone i can add to my recordings. what lessons would YOU like to take in the future?

• @dasbinky  1 week

The most valuable lessons for me have been music theory, no question. Understanding how chords flow together and why they sound the way they do. It's applicable across every instrument, it aids in fitting your melodies to your chords (and vice versa) and it's infinitely valuable in a group setting, especially if you're a multi-instrumentalist.

Apart from that, my best lessons have been just listening and copying music until something becomes your own. Learning is just imitation that becomes understanding.

In a more traditional "lesson" sense, drum lessons have been really valuable... they force you into an understanding of rhythm and groove that you don't get in other contexts. It's had a ton of bleedover into my playing on other instruments.

• @chipwithrow  1 week

Great topic, @tsunamidaily! My lessons with a bowed instrument were with violin, playing along with my daughter in her early Suzuki training. She gave it up nine or so years ago and I haven't touched the violin since.
    I tried some online banjo instruction a few years ago - I had already worked my way though about a quarter of Tony Trischka's excellent instruction book so I knew my way around the instrument. But I really wanted to learn Foggy Mountain Breakdown, so I did a series on YouTube that broke it down into eight or so lessons.
    In order to be bluegrass-precise with banjo, instruction to me was a must. Now I know enough to just thrash my way around it when FAWM or 50/90 rolls around.
    I took piano lessons from ages 8-17, and I'm going to do mainly piano/vocal this FAWM. (Last FAWM was mainly guitar/vocal.) I took up guitar mainly because I wanted to perform, and am mostly self-taught.
    Piano set the stage for every other instrument I've learned, I think.

• @scottlake 1 week

I’m learning Neal Schon/Journey’s Lights on electric as I acquired a strat copy, a Peavey 65 W amp and a Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive pedal this past year for a total of $40, and the first time I plugged it all together the tone reminded me of that song. Lots of you tube videos are my teachers.

• @metalfoot  1 week

I think years of being a CD reviewer (back when that was a thing) probably taught me the most about songwriting, to be honest. Listening to different genres of music, different patterns and structures of songs, seeing what 'worked' and what didn't to my mind, really helped get me going as a songwriter myself.

Singing lessons (though I only had 3 or 4) also really helped me, but even those were like 16, almost 17 years ago now...

• @jamkar  1 week

I am formally self taught on piano courtesy of YouTube and assorted books. I think transcribing music from recordings has taught me a lot. Probably not the most efficient way to learn.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...