Keyboard recommendations. Like, typing keyboards, not musical keyboards

Skip to the bottom

• @dasbinky  7 weeks

Hello people of FAWM!

My keyboard of many years has died, and I'll be looking for a new one shortly. Again, this is typey-typey keyboard, not piano keyboard. I've just been using the standard boring $10 keyboard that used to come with every PC package. It's been fine. But we deserve more than fine! We deserve at least "pretty ok".

So I thought I'd see if anyone else is using any neat keyboards to improve their writing / recording workflow. Or mice for that matter, I suppose?

Ergonomic? Backlit? Gaming? DAW-specific? Cybernetic mind-meld?

I realize this is the lamest gear thread we've had on here, but what else is January for if not killing time before we write? On our keyboards. For which I am looking for recommendations.

• @haim 7 weeks

I like the regular ones, as long as when I type, the key is coming up quickly without being stuck to the bottom. It's also nice to have multimedia keys on it but for me it's a bit unnecessary most of the time, I use the mouse for this. I think if you'll get a cheap and comfortable one, you'll be alright, you gotta have keyboard for fawm.. haha. God luck finding the right one.

• @johnstaples  7 weeks

@dasbinky, OMG, I got a lighted keyboard and it is the Best Thing Ever! I got the Logitech G213 keyboard and mouse as a Christmas present one year and thought it was a bit of an extravagance. BUT, after using it...for gaming...for songwriting...for word processing, spreadsheeting & web dev...I am totally hooked and it is an absolute necessity!

• @postcardhelicopters  7 weeks

I'm on my second Azio KB 506 Vision keyboard.

https://aziocorp.com/products/kb506-v...

It's wired, so I don't have to worry about batteries (did the whole wireless keyboard for a while and no wired cord is too short for my needs), the type on the keys is LARGE which my old eyeballs appreciate, and you can choose from five different colors for backlighting and also how bright that light is. There is some very minimal light bleed from underneath the function keys, but only when I'm sitting at a specific angle to the keyboard. There is a landing space at the bottom of the keyboard that just fits the lower area of my palms, and props my hands with the perfect angle for touch typing. When this keyboard dies I'll be in a frantic search to find the exact unit as a replacement.

• @radioovermoscow 7 weeks

Nothing but the good ol' Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. Saved my wrists from complete deterioration. https://www.microsoft.com/accessories...

• @vomvorton  6 weeks

I've got a clicky light-up one too, although I leave the lights in one of the less-obnoxious modes (they can be set to flash constantly, but... why?)

I'm not entirely sure why I bought it, but it certainly seemed very important at the time.

• @headfirstonly  6 weeks

Fnatic "Gear Rush" with backlit brown Cherry MX keys. Best keyboard I've ever used.

• @andygetch  6 weeks

QWERTY is so 20th century, just sayin'

• @yam655 5 weeks

When I have the money, I want to buy one of these: https://ergodox-ez.com/pages/planck

It's fully programmable with an open firmware. It supports multiple "layers" so you can have a layout specific to a particular use-case. Music-making in your favorite app is a special use-case, right?

• @netnoise 3 weeks

I just bought a Redragon K556 mechanical keyboard. It's not ergonomic like my old MS Ergo but I love the feel of the keys. It's a little clicky (brown switches) but not obnoxious. And the light patterns just make me smile. My only criticism is it's a little high so I need to find a wrist rest now.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...