Is it cheating?

Skip to the bottom

• @jrenee 7 weeks

Is it cheating to use lyrics or words from a book of poetry you wrote in the 90s?

• @leah0k  7 weeks

Nah, not in my opinion, if youโ€™re coming up with new music and everything for it! I go from scratch with everything for myself, but itโ€™s more about achieving personal goals and having fun whilst doing that.

• @bootlegger 7 weeks

I also vote not cheating.

• @metalfoot  7 weeks

The 90s are so long ago that can't possibly be cheating. LOL

• @johnstaples  7 weeks

Nope. Not cheating. Hell, I wrote a song using a Robert Frost poem from 1922 as lyrics for FAWM last year! https://fawm.org/songs/89071/

• @chipwithrow  7 weeks

I wrote some really crappy songs in the 90s, and I've borrowed salvageable bits and pieces of them for various FAWM and 50/90 songs.
    I took a poetry class at the University of Cincinnati in 1994 or so - I wish I had saved what I wrote. Time clouds my memory, but I think some of it might have been pretty OK.

• @tesla3090  7 weeks

The thing about FAWM is that since it's a challenge, not a competition. The only one you can really cheat is yourself. So as long as it fits your goals for the month, you're fine

• @metalfoot  7 weeks

It's not a competition? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @tesla3090  7 weeks

Shh... I'm just trying to get people to let their guard down. ๐Ÿ˜

• @gslade 7 weeks

LIterally impossible to cheat at FAWM.

• @helenseviltwin  7 weeks

I'd say it's against the spirit of FAWM to post things that are entirely written prior to FAWM, particularly if you're just doing so in order to get publicity, but anything that's written at all within February is absolutely AOK.

• @unkept 7 weeks

Also vote not cheating. I have a lot of one line ideas that otherwise might never get turned into songs. It's nice to revisit them and try and make something out of it. There really wouldn't be a song from them without FAWM, so it's not cheating to me.

@johnstaples, I also did something similar in a collab with @guatecoop last year. ๐Ÿ˜€ Using L'Allegro (1645 Poems) by John Milton.

https://fawm.org/songs/97145/

• @silvermachine  7 weeks

I only write songs at FAWM and 50/90 during the year.
    I usually have a couple of half finished ideas / pieces from the previous one and feel no qualms about using them at the next.
    I'd have no outlet for them otherwise.
    The first time I did FAWM I started with a blank slate, but in hindsight I obviously had a lifetime of ideas to tap into. So in effect the first one I had most prepared for.

• @declan  7 weeks

The challenge is to create an album's worth of new songs. The source material doesn't have to be new, just the songs themselves.

I use my notebooks to source ideas for lyrics. These notes may be years old.

I've re-purposed poems and lines from stories I've written. Sampled previous songs.

Stolen lines from other writers.

So not cheating and entirely within the spirit of FAWM if you create a new song.

Outside the spirit of FAWM, I would say is if you are a lyrics only writer and all you do is cut and paste a song you wrote in June. Or if you simply upload a track you made last month.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...