Embedding images

Skip to the bottom

• @scottlake Jan 6

Anyone know if there is a way to embed an image in a forum post?

• @postcardhelicopters  Jan 6

Testing... testing... 1, 2, 3... testing...

• @postcardhelicopters  Jan 6

@scottlake - I just posted the URL into the comment box and it worked. I'm doing this from the PC and not a phone/tablet/mobile deelie-bob, if that's useful to know.

• @ampersandman  Jan 7

• @scottlake Jan 7

Stupid me. Now I can’t remember what image I was going to post!

• @cts  Jan 13

I'd thought I'd give it a try...

• @valeriecox  Jan 14

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 21

so, i posted my image on google photos. how do i find the url?

• @ampersandman  Jan 21

@tsunamidaily : Right click on the image, then choose "copy image address" (or however it's called in your browser).

• @fuzzy  Jan 21

Gotta remember how to do this....

Ah, there we go.

• @haim Jan 21

testing it!

• @haim Jan 21

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 21

ok. it's just not working for me....
    i posted it to google photos, and got two different lengths of links (say that a few times quickly). it posted the long one on the inspirational quotes thread, and now i can't edit that post. here, it simply truncates it, automatically.
    sigh. i knew there was a reason i never did this....

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 22

i guess i will not ever get to do this. i followed the steps but it just doesn't work

• @scottlake Jan 22

one of the downsides of google photos is that it will not give you a direct link to the photo. Last year I figured out a way to side-door imgur to give a direct link via iOS. Switching over to my phone to see if I can make it happen again.

• @scottlake Jan 22

• @scottlake Jan 22

So, to get the image above to link, I had placed it in my account on the imgur app in my phone, then opened imgur and shared it by opening in safari, then copying that URL and pasting it into the forum box. Seems to work. About the image - this is a little solid spruce top 3/4 scale guitar I bought this past year for $10. The previous owner had painted on it, and put vans shoes and other stickers on it, and it got tan lines from her painting and stickers. See the hand print that is lighter than the rest?

• @tsunamidaily  Jan 22

@scottlake thank you for letting me know about the google photos issue. i have no other photo hosting site, so i guess i'd have to find another. i have google chrome as my browser, so i even inspected the photo after i uploaded it to the google service, looking for the photo src url address.
    and i always try to post from my computer-- i hate even browsing on my phone unless it is looking up a recipe at work or some other such necessity. my data plan doesn't allow for profligate file sending.
    thank you very much for the info!

• @scottlake Jan 23

@tsunamidaily I went through this last year and was disappointed that google photos has no way to provide a direct image link. It’s when I heard you could do it with imgur. But even with imgur it’s a roundabout process.

• @downburst  Jan 23

@tsunamidaily Dropbox? Or just Google Drive (not Photos). Testing...

Well, that didn't work. Hmm.

• @downburst  Jan 23

Look at the URL on this (literal) puppy.

• @downburst  Jan 23

Sorry to be opaque. I uploaded that image to my FAWM hosting and linked to it there. So that's a workaround (assuming it's OK with @ericdistad) if you have FAWM hosting and, hopefully, don't overdo it.

• @ericdistad  Jan 23

@downburst - honestly that's why we updated file hosting to include images as valid files - pretty much for hosting images in the forums. So as long as folks don't go too nuts with it, yeah it's OK. 😀 )

• @klaus  Jan 28

Ok, so linking or embedding from OneDrive doesn't work.

• @alboe Jan 28

I tried to post a photo in another forum thread.
    Uploaded it to my Dropbox, copied the URL and posted it.
    It only shows a blank rectangle, but when you click on it the photo does show, strange.

• @klaus  Jan 28

@alboe You can post images from Dropbox but you need to edit the link.

1) www -> dl
    2) dropbox.com -> dropboxusercontent.com
    3) delete everything after the image file name extension

It works just fine but if you edit your forum post, the Dropbox disappears and you have to add it again. I used Win 10 and Chrome browser. Hope this helps.

• @scottlake Jan 28

@klaus the same thing happens with Imgur links and editing the post If you edit the post you do have to add the link again. Somehow the edit feature zaps the link url

• @alboe Jan 28

@klaus
    It worked.
    Thank you very much.

• @keithcuts  Jan 28

Test

• @keithcuts  Jan 28

Oh wow new trick. FYI I used bing images from safari on my iPhone instead of the default google. Apparently it worked

• @keithcuts  Jan 28

• @klaus  Jan 28

@alboe My pleasure.

It's the same way I have to modify my Dropbox links when posting demos. I thought, maybe it works for images too. And it did.:)

• @keithcuts  Jan 28

@klaus oh you post your demos from Dropbox? That could save time not having to upload to soundcloud 🤔

• @klaus  Jan 28

@keithcuts You can stream 320 kbps MP3s from a free Dropbox account. Works for me. 😀

But I can't remember if it currently opens in a new tab or if it plays in Fawm player...that may be an issue for some. I chose Dropbox because it was the first Free Hosting Alternative mentioned on the Fawm HELP/FAQ page.

• @robynmackenzie  Jan 28

Testing (Also Mika says hi)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DhEBUFrSv/

Dammit! I'll have to try from Dropbox.

• @robynmackenzie  Jan 28

Welp, that didn't work. Never mind, lol. Will try from the fawmer files.

• @krayzie003 Jan 29

Nope lol

• @krayzie003 Jan 29

Grrrrr

• @krayzie003 Jan 29

• @krayzie003 Jan 29

Yay!

• @kable  Feb 22

It works.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...