Choosing your first single

Skip to the bottom

• @sarahmonticue 2 weeks

Hey all - wanted to ask for your thoughts on something. I have 3 songs recorded and I’m trying to decide which to release first. I’ve considered all 3 and am having a hard time picking. Do you have any advice on how to decide?

• @postcardhelicopters  1 week

I wish I had useful advice/experience to share, but in case no one with real advice stops by I at least wanted to say, "Congratulations on your upcoming release!"

While I don't have advice, per se, I have a couple of observations to share.

First; can you discern any kind of connected story line across the three songs? It doesn't even need to be major or overt. For instance, maybe they happen in different seasons and you release them in a seasonal order? Or, maybe the first one has one central chracter, the second has two, and the third has three? Morning, noon, and night? Past, present, and future? Anything would work.

Second; keep in mind the first won't be the only one, so try and see it as a "hello" or an introduction and that it's the start of a conversation and not the end. So if you've got more than one single you want to release, then you already have a head start on "what comes next" and that's a great place to be in.

Third; and if you really can't decide, there's no rule saying you can't just pull the names from a hat at random. The modified version of this would be to pull a name at random and then ask yourself how you feel about that option. And if you feel equally strong about all three, then whichever you choose will still be the right one.

Good luck!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...