Faking bass for a live show - 2 amps + split guitar signal/octaver

Skip to the bottom

• @siebass 4 weeks

Has anyone here tried to fake a bass for a live set? I'm curious about tips/experience. I've picked up an octave pedal (boss OC-3) to split and run my guitar signal to both my guitar amp and the lowered signal to my bass amp. I've also picked up a tiny 2-string pickup to place under the bottom two guitar strings to limit the "jumping" of the octaver. Anyone here have any experience with a setup like this? For professional examples, think Local H or Royal Bloods.

Background: my band booked a gig without our lead singer. We are normally a four-piece (guitar/bass/vox/drums), however, each of us, save the lead guitarist (go figure) are multi-instrumentalists and can sing, so we can play a 45-60 minute set in just about any mixed combination of at least three members (we often switch instruments during shows to feature the different singers). Between the drummer and myself we should be able to cover all the vocals, but for songs where I normally play guitar and sing instead of bass, I wanted to add some emulated faux bass to thicken things out.

• @ustaknow 4 weeks

It is far easier to fake a lead singer 😝 yes indeed 😉

Define Bass, (rhetorical) - forget faking, just, - how do you define "Bass Guitar" and what sonic dimension you feel you "lack" live. So, for me, the following resonates with your thesis/ask/experiences-comments.

I preface a bit with, - many "bass" players don't use 5 strings (sub-Hz) nor do they stick to First Position, sonically. They play, ironically in the Treble Guitar voicing. Why? GudQuestshion. 😀

And, I've heard, even here on FAWM, "dude, nice bass", and knowing they meant bass-guitar, - there was none (acoustic only).
    - Technique and modulation. 90%? sudo-stat 😀 of the Bass is Root Note Chord Backing and not on Open strings, - argue as you like 😀

So, pending definition, you may not be able to unless use a doubleneck guitar/bass (many available) and have a third hand, or looper control.

- So, I guess that is my answer; if even not incite - ful 😀 hahhh

Moreover, it is my answer because I am (possibly) a drummer, bass player before a "treble guitar" player. I have the finger reach I do on guitar only because of the Bass, and hand stamina due to the drummng.

• @sph  4 weeks

I sometimes use my trusty OC-2 with acoustic guitar. Nice when you use a looper.
    There's a norwegian duo "Aiming for Enrike" - they are really cool and use different amps for the octave parts

• @siebass 4 weeks

@ustaknow to define bass, in this instance, mostly adding some thickness to fill out our sound on some bluesy originals that could use some extra.

@sph are you happy with the results of using the OC?

• @pipewrench67  4 weeks

I can't watch right now (at work)
    but maybe some help here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTJDS...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODH0F...

• @siebass 4 weeks

@pipewrench67 Thanks for the info, I've seen both of those vids, they were actually the inspiration for what I'm attempting with a two-string pickup and split outputs. Was curious if anyone had tried anything similar here

• @dasbinky  4 weeks

If your drummer doesn't mind playing to a click track, you can pre-record the bass and just pump it through the PA from a laptop. We've done that with great success for a few gigs.

Octavers have their place, but filling in for a bassist for a full show is a stretch. They tend to sound lousy for multi-phonic tones and just sound artificial.

• @guatecoop  4 weeks

I’ve seen it done and it worked for them....I think it was a duo with guitar and drums.

• @spingo  4 weeks

I've only fooled around with it a bit, but if you're not soloing up high a lot, another thing you can do is get an EQ and cut all the highs before you send to the bass amp, to unclutter the thoom.

If this chart is right, it looks like you can throw away everything after about 150-175 hz and still get good bass notes in?

• @siebass 4 weeks

Yeah, the OC3 has a nice cut option, so I can cut all frequencies from the D string up on the guitar (as I lack an eq pedal).

• @stevenwesleyguiles  4 weeks

@guatecoop I saw the band Local H (their big hit was "Copacetic") and they did this. The guitar player looked like he might have had a low E bass string on this guitar and then a regular set of guitar strings as well. It sounded huge and awesome. It was a two piece (drums and guitar/bass).

• @guatecoop  4 weeks

@stevenwesleyguiles - a low e on a guitar?!? Oh to have guitar techs to do the setup on that guitar! I bet that sounded great!

• @siebass 4 weeks

It's worth checking the vid out just to see his setup. He has an extra pickup carved out for his guitar for the low E and A string fed to a bass signal chain, in addition to his guitar chain. I didn't notice the bass string on the guitar though, that would explain some of the depth of tone too.

• @spingo  4 weeks

The Fender Bronco just uses a Strat pickup, if I remember right. You could put on like a 60 E or something to get more thump.

(Or even tune down like doom metal dudes/mimic a baritone - I got to C std on an Epi SG with fat strings (13s, I think) and it worked OK with minor setup tweaking.)

@guatecoop it's possible it was a high bass G too. I wasn't sure. I just know the low end was insane, and the guitar parts were still super cool.

two cables were coming out of the guitar, each to a separate rig.

• @sph  3 weeks

@siebass Sorry that it took me so long to get back. Here's an instrumental loop from my first FAWM:
    https://soundcloud.com/sphk/in-the-fo...
    All sounds are done with my dreadnought guitar. The OC2 bass kicks in after around 48 seconds.
    Mark Lettieri of Snarky Puppy and the Fearless Flyers also has an extra pickup for the deepest strings of his baritone guitar. Check out his new album.

• @siebass 3 weeks

@sph sounds pretty natural there. The OC-3 has an emulated mode for the OC-2 as well, so I can play around with that too.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...