iPad garage band help...

Skip to the bottom

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 5

I’m just starting to dig into learning this ( I would say I am at about a 2nd grader level) I know I need to purchase some kind of thinghy that plugs into a external mic or a guitar or whatever? What is it that I buy?
    I read about i Rig but am not sure what is the best thing to get...

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 5

Any tips on anything else for a very beginner would also be greaty appreciated.

• @vomvorton  Mar 5

I have an original iRig and it's pretty cool plugging in an electric guitar and using the virtual amps and stuff. Not sure what the difference is with the newer version 2, but I don't think either of them let you plug in external mics - there is other hardware for that but I'll let somebody with more info fill that in!

A key thing though is that you don't need any extras to get started though, the iPad internal mic is pretty decent for getting quick recordings down and learning how it all works. I bought a new iPad prior to FAWM in the hopes of getting some songwriting done on my lunchbreaks but didn't really get around to it, I'm planning to give it a proper workout when we get around to 50/90 though...

• @leomozi  Mar 5

On my old, pre-lightning iPad, I used a camera adapter kit that plugs into your charging port and then allows you to connect a USB device, which in my case was a Blue Snowball USB mic. It did a nice job. A quick Google search tells me they make lightning-to-USB camera connectors for newer iOS devices.

• @quork  Mar 5

Way to take the plunge! I do all of my recording and music production on my iPad. You will need an audio interface to plug in your guitar and a mic.

A basic one will let you record one mic or instrument at a time. iRig and Focusrite make popular models. There are probably lots of videos to get you started.

• @chrishope Mar 6

i use a tascam iXZ interface .. cheapest around 4 years ago . The ipad mic is very good especially once you play with the reverb etc effects pre-sets and settings. Can be changed after recording too

• @chrishope Mar 6

watch the song length .. it does this 8 bar cut unless you put on Automatic , very annoying if you've sung away for 4 mins and didn't look up!

• @quork  Mar 6

It is a lot of fun to record to a DAW like Garage Band, but it definitely adds a lot more time to the process. Sometimes I’ll do a quick and dirty one take guitar and vocal sketch, sometimes I’ll add multiple tracks. My preferred work flow for FAWM goes something like this:
    - find a suitable drum track, set the tempo and record it for several minutes. I use it as my click track to keep me on the beat and as the foundation for the song.
    - record the rhythm guitar or piano part. This involves laying out and counting out the bars in the song sections so when I add vocals they match up.
    - record vocals. I do one take all the way through (need to learn how to patch in replacements for mistakes). I also like the quality an external mic gives me. There are cheap, decent options out there like the Shure SM 58.
    - add bass if necessary. I find a good bass part and play something simple on keys.
    - record other instruments/vocals as required. Not necessary but lots of fun.
    - add effects

• @quork  Mar 6

(continued)

- add effects to each track - a little reverb is usually nice, and I often play around with eq, compression, and a saturation plug in. For guitar I like using amp and pedals emulations.

I basically taught myself by playing around over the past four years, so there are undoubtedly better and more efficient ways to do this, but it works for me, and I think I’m starting to get a decent quality (for demo purposes, anyway).

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 7

@quork how do you “plug in” an external mike?
    From what I understand you can’t plug a mike into a i rig?
    Also the drum track..if I get the Smooth drum app how do I put that on the tracks in ipad?
    I have been watching videos but they either lose me in the first minute, talk too fast, or I am completely lost as to what the heck they are talking about...I have made some progress..
    I hope I can look back at this one day and laugh at my stupidity

• @vomvorton  Mar 7

@cynthiawolff the standard iRig doesn't let you plug in a mic, but there is a version that does:
    https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products...

and it looks like the Tascam iXZ that @chrishope mentions can do it all (might have to get one of these myself):
    https://tascam.com/us/product/ixz/top

Getting sound from one app into another is still a little bit convoluted although they have made improvements, for some apps you can use Apple's "inter-app audio" to get the sound from one app into another and from others you can copy and paste. There's also an app called AudioBus that lets you do routing between apps, and effects but it can get a bit complex. I'm a bit out of the loop on this front though.

• @quork  Mar 7

What @vomvorton said. Here’s another IK Multimedia product that lets you plug in a guitar and a mic. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products.... Lots of companies sell similar products.

Re. Adding sound from an app like Soft Drummer, here’s what Apple has to say. You can probably find a 16 year old relative or neighbor to walk you through it.

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 7

Thanks so very much @quork
    I found a pretty good video and cleared up lots of questions.

Wish I had a 16 year old relative near by
    ...all my neighbors are old like me..
    And even less savvy than I am..

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 9

@quork
    I think I am going to go with the Tascam IXZ.
    I think it’s a good place to start
    Thanks for all your help

• @quork  Mar 9

Congratulations on taking the plunge, Cynthia. I look forward to next year and seeing the difference in your songs. Are you going to get a mic? Have fun!

• @barbara  Mar 10

@cynthiawolff
    I just wanted to thank you for this thread. It’s prompted me to do some investigation on what more I can do with GB on my iPhone 8. Turns out I’m just an inexpensive adapter away from using my retired M-Audio Keystation 49e with my phone!!! Who knew? And all this time I’ve been poking at those teeny tiny targets...
    ☺️

• @darcistrutt  Mar 10

I’m learning GB too! My goal is to record on my iPad during FAWMstock! I have a mic and connection that lets me record while listening through headphones so can do layers of acoustic and vocal. Still have tons to learn!

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 10

Thank you @barbara !!
    I found a YouTube teacher that is fab!!
    Dan Baker.. such a wonderful easy slow cool teacher.
    Everything I need for now....
    I am better than I was a week ago..

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 10

@quork I have a old Shure...
    I’ll start with that...things are moving along..
    Thanks so much for helping.

• @darcistrutt  Mar 10

Thanks for that YouTube recommendation @cynthiawolff . I’ve been hoping to find a good instructor! I hit the subscribe on Mr. Baker!

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 11

@darcistrutt
    I am watching his “percussion” vid right got now..
    So much information!!
    His style is great..
    He is such an amazing musician as well..
    I have learned so much alreDy...
    Having fun learning too!
    Let’s do this!!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...