The Etiquette of Collaborative Hearting

Skip to the bottom

• @mikedebenham  Feb 27

Here's a really unimportant problem:

FAWM lets you slap a little heart icon next to your songs to show which are your favourites. Some people find them useful to steer listeners towards the songs they're proudest of. I never use them, because I'm a heartless monster. Also, it can be nice to let people listen without preconceptions and pick a song that sounds interesting to them, rather than running straight for the favourite.

That's all fine. The only problem is when a hearter collaborates with a non-hearter and slaps a heart on it. This is a really nice gesture, but kind of ruins the clean slate for the non-hearter.

Best response?
    a) Leave the heart and suppress a little wince when you look at your profile page.
    b) Remove the heart and feel like an ungrateful idiot.
    c) Get over yourself.

• @mikedebenham  Feb 27

I tend to favour (b) feel like an ungrateful idiot then write a forum post.

• @dasbinky  Feb 27

I tend to be in the same boat, where I never "favorite" any of my own tunes. Sometimes collaborators do. I've landed on (c) as my approach.

In the grand scheme of things, someone else's expression of their love of our joint effort means more to me than the ideological purity of a listener's nonjudgmental approach to the month's efforts. πŸ˜‰

• @standup  Feb 27

If not c) maybe discuss with collaborator before taking unilateral action...

• @judypie  Feb 27

Hahahah one of @adforperu 's collabs did this and Ad doesn't like hearts either! I think c) I think.. 😝 Hahaha but that's coming from a heart lover!

• @keithcuts Feb 27

C. It’s not always about you πŸ˜€

• @leomozi  Feb 27

I'd say maybe reach out to the collaborator to discuss.

I'm torn about hearts. I agree that it might be better to let listeners decide for themselves what their favorite of our songs is, @mikedebenham. But I think hearts serve another useful purpose, which is steering people toward the songs where we'd most like feedback (then again, maybe we shouldn't be trying to influence people that way either).

• @adforperu  Feb 27

I'm no fan of 'hearting' my songs, and apart from a mad 30 minute panic when I first collaborated with @susyblue and then deleted, I have never used it. This will sound hugely self-depreciating, but I've never actually loved a song I've written so would feel weird to use it. Ironically enough (to the thread), if pushed I would heart collabs only, ha

• @mikedebenham  Feb 27

Point well made, @dasbinky. Heart reinstated. πŸ˜‰

• @tiller2  Feb 27

I tend to "heart" my collabs as a courtesy to the collaborator, assuming that the song is good, which all have been so far. I also benefit, to the extent that people listen based on hearts. It hasn't occurred to me that a collaborator might prefer the effort to fly under the radar. UPDATE: I've de-hearted my assortment of musical chocolates so now, as Forrest Gump says, "you never know what you're going to get."

• @nancyrost  Feb 27

Last FAWM, I gave you my heart
    But the very next day you gave it away
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to someone special

• @tcelliott  Feb 27

Oh, the heart is such a delicate thing
    To be given willy nilly to someone new
    Might we should ponder when we first sing
    To heart or not, I have no clue

• @boyatheart  Feb 27

The answer to all things in life is C.

• @haim  Feb 27

@boyatheart lol.

• @thelowestbitter  Feb 27

C- C- C- C- C- C- C is the heavenly option

• @zecoop  Feb 27

@nancyrost - I am never forgiving you for bringing THAT song into FAWM. ugh....... I can now never come back to this thread. That song has the fastest 'song beginning' to 'change channel speed' ratio of any song. πŸ˜‰

• @nancyrost  Feb 27

I <3 you, @zecoop

• @dasbinky  Feb 27

@nancyrost @zecoop That was the demo song on the first keytar I ever owned. I delighted in using various pitch shifting and waveform effects to mess with the melody. While dancing in front of a mirror with sunglasses thinking I was the coolest human being of all time.

Sorry, that's a bit of a thread hijack.

Bringing it back around, any song featuring a keytar should be hearted immediately, and without question.

EDIT: This is exactly what I looked like.

• @vomvorton  Feb 27

@dasbinky I've got one of those. It's still cool.

I love the little hearts. I ask my collaborator if unsure but most collaborations I've done have left me with that buzz of FAWM happiness that inspires me to want to click the "favourite" box.

• @frenchcricket  Feb 27

it's cool because they don't run out - infinite lives!

• @billysea  Feb 27

As a retired Sailor, I always chose Sea,er C.

• @dasbinky  Feb 27

Never change, @billysea.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...