Someone wants to join me on no facebook till the end of fawm?

Skip to the bottom

• @haim  3 weeks

Hi! I felt like many of my time goes on facebook surfing, most of it with no productive outcome and just waste of precious time. Yesterday I deactivated my account, anyone else feels he's/she's wasting too much time? Join me and deactivate it till at least the end of fawm, to be able to write more songs through the finish line. I got 6 more songs to write.. And it already helped me write one song today cause my time gained some more productivity and less procrastination on FB.

• @chipwithrow  3 weeks

I like your plan, and I like the idea of limiting Facebook and Instagram time. I'm on both with business as well as personal accounts, so I can't really de-activate. We post every day for our business (yoga studio my wife and I own).
    I have been successful at limiting my scrolling/surfing and personal time on both. I try check in just once or twice a day, and post maybe once a week on Facebook and a few times a week on Instagram.
    I do think social media can be used wisely and responsibly, but it is certainly a great procrastination tool (like being on the forum now, right?).
    I hope you succeed, @haim!

• @jwhanberry  3 weeks

I rarely look at FB. I posted that FAWM started and I'll post after the end. Otherwise I mostly don't go there FAWM or not. As opposed to checking the FAWM fora a zillion times a day!

• @petemurphy  3 weeks

I deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts around a month ago. I haven't missed either of them. I did make a post before I deleted, offering my email address to anyone who wanted to stay in touch. I'm still on Instagram, but not sure how long for.

• @fearlessflight2014  3 weeks

I deactivated my account on January 1st and havenโ€™t been back until today. I felt guilty because Iโ€™m opening for an international artist who booked me before he knew I was exiting social media. I did a bit of promo for the tour and then looked at the notifications. I had missed NOTHING.

• @tootoobee  3 weeks

I'm not one of the enlightened yet ๐Ÿ˜€ and do waste too much time on Facebook. At the beginning it was just a means to stay in contact to friends but more and more, I'm just wasting time. I have two FB accounts, I rarely look into one of them, just every few days. Still enough to keep in touch and send a message.
    But the other account ... that's the one that's always open and I find myself scrolling to the "messages" just to procrastinate. Have not found a good way to reduce that. I also need another 6 songs to reach the finish line... maybe I join you

• @kc5 3 weeks

Yes. I've been taking steps to detox from social media. It is sooooo easy to get sucked in. I've been tossing around the idea of de-activating my account, especially with summer coming because in the scheme of life, it takes way too prominent a role. There is one major thing that ties me to facebook and I'm trying to works something out with that--that's probably going to be my 1X/week check in. I want to experience LIFE! Hearing @petemurphy say he hasn't missed it and that @fearlessflight2014 really hasn't missed anything despite a looming concern is encouraging. If I can't discipline myself to 1X/week or something reasonable, then I will seriously consider deactivation. Thanks for the encouragement!

• @ustaknow 3 weeks

โ•ฑโ•ฑโ”โ•ฎ
    โ•ฑโ•ฑโ”ƒโ”ƒ
    โ–‰โ”โ•ฏโ”—โ”โ•ฎ
    โ–‰โ”ˆโ”ˆโ”ˆโ”ˆโ”ƒ
    โ–‰โ•ฎโ”ˆโ”ˆโ”ˆโ”ƒ
    โ•ฑโ•ฐโ”โ”โ”โ•ฏ

• @zecoop  3 weeks

On a related note from @lanasolyluna ๐Ÿ˜€

Facebook is a Black Hole
    https://fawm.org/songs/98018/

• @petemurphy  3 weeks

@tootoobee hit the nail on the head with "At the beginning it was just a means to stay in contact to friends but more and more, I'm just wasting time."

I wasted so much time on Facebook. I'd log in with the intention of quickly replying to some messages, and three hours later I'd still be there, looking at videos of dogs riding skateboards, and reading things that made me even more angry about the state of the world than I already am.

I figure that if people want to contact me, there are various ways they can do that without me needing to have a Facebook account.
    My music page doesn't really get enough traffic to warrant me hanging around on there either. My wife is the admin for that page, and she lets me use her account on the rare occasion that someone messages me.

• @haim  3 weeks

@tootoobee - Then join me! Until now, since yesterday, I wrote two new songs without facebook, and I'm hoping to get to the finish line or at least to get close to 14.

@petemurphy - that's great to hear... I really wanna do it somehow too... I feel a little bit for the videos and images... it's like a serious break up... It's devistating what it has done to out lives, hours of wasted time and as you said - anger, and.... I think it changed how people behave, in a bad way.

@chipwithrow - I understand the business acount is a problem, I got a music page with about 300 likes that is also deactivated now, I'll figure what to do with it, @petemurphy says his account is on his wife's account so that's a good idea.

@fearlessflight2014 - That's awesome, hope I'll stay out of FB for a very long time at least. I am absolutely aware to what it does to my life.

@jwhanberry - you are lucky...

@kc5 - Do it!

• @petemurphy  3 weeks

I think part of it is getting over the fear that you're missing out on something.

Spoiler - you're not.

I found that no one is interested in the music I'm into, no one is interested in the movies, books, etc, that I like.
    It's just meme after meme after pointless rant about politics (maybe I need to get some new friends, haha).
    I hated being in things like vegan groups. Although I'm vegan myself, the militant vegans who run around in these groups annoy the shit out of me.
    There's absolutely nothing on Facebook that I can't do via email or by visiting the website of my favourite bands, authors, causes, etc.

• @haim  3 weeks

@petemurphy - powerful words mate. Thanks for the encouragement... I'm really close to stop using it, I know life will be better off of Facebook. What do you notice about yourself after a month without it? what changes do you see?

• @sherrycanary  3 weeks

I am not on FB nearly as much since FAWM.
    Some things make it worth it for me.
    Instead, I spend more time on the Forums. hahaha

• @chrishope 3 weeks

YES! and lunch and dinner and sleep

• @chrishope 3 weeks

have you held out? I put a LiL fawm song up on my feed 2 hours ago.. gotta look, no self control, none ; - ) ..arrrggghhh.... So lonely without it ...lol

• @misterd 3 weeks

I deactivated Facebook and Instagram and stopped watching TV in the evenings . I work as a high school teacher by day . It takes me an hour to get home from work . I listen to CDs in the car on the commute .After my dinner I got into a habit and routine of writing songs -the melody idea, the lyrics , then I play it and record on my iPhone and usually have a song or two finished by 10 pm . Have a shower and go to bed . No social media or tv has been very productive for me ! This year I exceeded my exprectations -wrote 39 songs with variety of instruments and styles -So .. I definately encourage deleting or deactivating time wasting applications like Facebook . There is no limit to what we can achieve with discipline and focus and setting a challenge for ourselves !

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...