London, March 23rd

Skip to the bottom

• @karan  Feb 19

My FAWM friends in England, I will be there: https://www.peoples-vote.uk/march - and so will @sentense. ๐Ÿ˜€ How about having some kind of little FOP or meeting for drinks or whatever in the late afternoon/evening?
    On Sunday, we'll already be on our way back to the continent.
    It would be so lovely to see at least some of you in London!

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 20

FOP? I was just wondering about this too..!

• @headfirstonly  Feb 20

Sounds like an excellent idea!

• @johnnycashpoint Feb 21

ooh, nice!

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 21

does anyone know of any decent venues that might be available on 23rd? @karan what time would you be available?

• @karan  Feb 21

I think the march will start at 1 pm - I don't expect it to last longer than 5 pm, and we could also leave a little earlier.

• @hornesgiftshop  Feb 21

@sw1n3flu Febโ€™s Over Party? Farage-out pissup?

• @adforperu  Feb 21

Me and @judypie would actually be in London that weekend ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• @judypie  Feb 21

Haha, oh yeah! Post-Fawm rave?? Letโ€™s do it! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

• @johnnycashpoint Feb 21

@sw1n3flu Saturday evenings in London, means expensive and no good spaces available, but we've had it at the Cavendish Arms for the last two years, to generally good reviews (them not us ๐Ÿ˜€ ) info@thecavendisharmsstockwell.co.uk I'll have a think about other possible venues

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 22

@adforperu @judypie amazing!

• @morti  Feb 22

We once did a 50/90 party by renting a rehearsal studio and hanging out in that and it was really fun. Just a thought if people might want to go that route.

• @karan  Feb 23

That's a great idea! ๐Ÿ˜€ I really hope we can make it happen. Wish I could be of more help, but it's difficult from so far away.

• @morti  Feb 23

Depends on what sort of numbers I guess. How many people were at the last FOP?

• @karan  Feb 23

Well, from this thread it looks there'll be ten people until now, but there may be more (I hope) - let's spread the word!

• @hornesgiftshop  Feb 23

I'm in. Can't do much organising, but very grateful if anyone does.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 23

I'll hopefully make it to the meet up. I'm not going to go to march because I'm really not great at crowds.

• @sapient  Feb 25

It looks like I might be in London that weekend... Would be aces to see you all! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• @morti  Feb 25

Too big for renting a room. Pub it is. Would someone be so kind as to book? Cavendish?

• @andybalham Feb 26

I think/hope I am around that weekend. It would be lovely to see you all again.

• @johnnycashpoint Feb 27

Cavendish is booked for a wedding(?)

• @dragondreams  Feb 27

I've cleared my diary and can get a coach down to London on that date. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @judypie  Feb 27

๐Ÿ˜ฎ Am I going to get to meet @dragondreams ?! Awesome ๐Ÿ˜

• @dragondreams  Feb 27

@judypie He's just a doddering old granddad figure with bad eyesight who dribbles and wanders off at random. So I'd manage your expectations accordingly. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• @judypie  Feb 27

Hahahahh still totally excited ๐Ÿ˜

• @sapient  Feb 27

Hey @dragondreams, no need to ge the bus... I'll give ya a lift in the airship! If I can find the keys... ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• @dragondreams  Feb 27

@sapient - I'm reliably informed that one of @rahkoi's gargoyle choristers accidentally swallowed them!

A dose of paraffin and you'll have them back shortly. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ฉ

• @karan  Feb 27

Oh I can't WAIT! ๐Ÿ˜€
    But we still need a venue ...
    London people, can you help?
    I just discovered this: https://londonist.com/london/pubs/the...
    @johnnycashpoint, do you know any of these venues? If not, do you think you could check them out? I really like that the King & Queen is just asking for a donation to a cancer charity. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @sapient  Feb 27

Just a thought - do we need space to play, or just space to hang out, drink beer and celebrate FAWM and each other's wonderfulness?
    Cos you know I'm good with the latter ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @dragondreams  Feb 27

Will there be parking for @sapient's airship?
    I'd be travelling light, so just a hang out would be cool. Dragging a 4x12 and Orange OR120 plus three guitars and four basses is kinda hard on a Megabus... ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @johnnycashpoint Feb 28

@karan I don't have a lot of time but I will try the list and a few others I know of. Available live music venues in centrish London are becoming ever rarer.. especially on a Saturday evening at relatively short notice

• @pooka  Mar 1

I'd very much like a FOP to involve the playing of music. It is, in fact, the only time I ever get to play live. I've no idea how to start doing anything else.

It may be too big for renting a rehearsal room, as @morti points out, but if there's no alternative, people could realistically sit around the sides of one if need be. The rooms at Fortress are relatively large, and there's a bar upstairs.

There are places around me to rent, but they're costly, and that's in North London - it's miles away from the centre.

Either way, I'm available on the 23rd. And I can offer crash space for @morti if he needs it.

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 1

weird that i just saw the king and queen on here... i have a gig there on the 9th nice and central i will ask on it...

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 1

i just rang them and left a message

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 1

that is if we are still looking for a place we can play.. i would like that, sorry i been quiet on this thread then jump in ringing venues! but just spoke to dragondreams and its looking much more doable for me...

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 1

The Iron Duke came back to me saying they have an evening booking from 7pm but we can get it for the afternoon.

@pooka I'm fairly sure Fortress has closed, as have all the central london rehearsal rooms. We'd have to go further out to find a rehearsal room.

@wobbiewobbit feel free to weigh in. I don't want to be spending my work time trying to sneak calls out to spaces ๐Ÿ˜€

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 1

the king and queen have their comedy night there that night. but that is from 6 they need the room and there is the pub downstairs for hanging out if we want to see if we can have the room earlier??

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 4

@wobbiewobbit maybe see what from 1pm-5.30pm would cost,? We should grab it and people can work around timings? If you played there live then I am sure it is fit for whatever we had in mind. Also it is outside of the march route so it shouldn't be impossible getting to!

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 4

ok will ask them, i know they dont charge as such and it is on a donations to macmillan basis. I rang and it is available that afternoon BUT i need to phone back wednesday to confirm with the manager

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 4

Nice going @wobbiewobbit. Thanks for looking into it

• @dragondreams  Mar 4

Brilliant! Well done gang! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Ž

• @andybalham Mar 4

First thought, very well done @wobbiewobbit and very big thanks for sorting this out. Second thought, perhaps I should have considered performance when writing my songs this year.

• @sapient  Mar 4

@wobbiewobbit - you star!
    Once it's confirmed, I'll get work to buy me plane ticket. I was going to have to go over very early on the Monday morning, so this is a double win!

• @pooka  Mar 5

Exciting! I'm looking forward to a confirmation!

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 6

woohoo CONFIRMED!! 1pm-5.30pm 23rd March we have the upstairs room of the King and Queen (http://www.thekingandqueenpub.com) boasting the site of Bob Dylan's first UK gig so a fairly apt venue and nicely placed to be easy to get to (nearest tube Goodge Street. there is no charge for the room as such, but they ask for a donation to macmillan (he said there is a bucket and if everyone puts in a couple of quid that is fine) hooray!

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 6

@wobbiewobbit - that's fantastic. Thank you so much for organising.

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 6

that's ok - i forgot to ask what they have in the way of equipment available, but i will be there on saturday and will find out more then.

• @dragondreams  Mar 6

Brilliant! Thanks loads @wobbiewobbit ๐Ÿ˜

• @dragondreams  Mar 6

Coach tickets bought! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @sapient  Mar 6

@wobbiewobbit - Fantastic! Can't wait to see everyone ๐Ÿ˜

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 6

@dragondreams Hooray! @sapient - me too!

• @pooka  Mar 6

Brilliant!

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 6

hooray! good stuff, I'll bring a vaguely in tune ukulele which everyone can borrow, should they care to

• @kahlo2013  Mar 6

I hope you all have a great FOP and share some photos and videos of the event! What a great line up of FAWMers!

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 7

Oh so Jealous!! Wish I could hope aboard a big old jet airliner and hang with the cool kidz!

• @dragondreams  Mar 7

I have a dilemma! ๐Ÿ˜
    Do I bring a bass, my beloved acoustic, or Frankie? I only have enough hands for one. ๐Ÿ˜

• @lemonstar Mar 7

I have shoulder surgery on 22nd and can't drive let alone anything else otherwise I would have been keen to show up and meet a few names I know - I am notoriously horribly ill after a general anaesthetic.

it was disappointing the FOP that was trying to be organised last year(?) around Sheffield fell through as my daughter lives & works there and it would have fitted in well with me. One year - hopefully - there will something more central.

I hope this happens. Life is short.

• @karan  Mar 7

Thank you so much for the organisation, @wobbiewobbit and everyone! I might be a tad late because I really want to show up at the beginning of the march (as it's the only thing I can do), but I've just looked and found out it takes only half an hour to walk from the march route to the pub, yayyy! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @andybalham Mar 7

Huzzah! I will be bringing my banana-yellow electric and pop-orange effects multi-fx doodah. Both are available to all.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 8

I can bring a folding guitar, folding cajon and a tiny bass, if that's useful. I was assuming that Sven would be bringing percussion, but if you guys are going to the march first, guessing maybe not.

• @chrishope Mar 8

well done Wobbie

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 8

@helenseviltwin I can bring a cajon?

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 8

@sw1n3flu - up to you. I have one of these https://www.pappcajon.com/ - it's surprisingly good given it's made of cardboard

• @dragondreams  Mar 8

<--- I'm bringing the bass in this profile picture.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 8

This is the guitar I can bring https://www.snap-dragon-guitars.co.uk...

• @dragondreams  Mar 8

Ooh! @helenseviltwin - I'm really looking forward to having a go with that if I may, please. I'll wash my hands first and everything.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 8

@dragondreams - yes, of course, everyone's welcome to use whatever gear I bring.

• @sapient  Mar 8

I will bring my ability to drink beer ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• @dragondreams  Mar 8

@sapient - I'll feed syrup of figs to Colin and get your keys back... ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @judypie  Mar 9

I was just gonna bring a bag of nuts to go with our drinks but really excited to see you all tinkering ๐Ÿ˜ Weโ€™re gonna set off from Sheffield about 10am but heading to our room in south London first, will try hot foot it back to the centre to catch yโ€™all ๐Ÿ˜

• @rainchaser  Mar 9

On March 23 I may not be going to London but I will be hanging out with friends of mine in Mac & Chess in good ol' Miami lol

• @karan  Mar 13

@helenseviltwin , you're right, we might not be able to bring our stuff if we go to the march first - I never thought about this! Thank you for bringing your things; I'm sure we'll manage somehow.

I look forward to seeing you all very soon! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @dragondreams  Mar 16

@sapient
    Good news! The lads have found your keys! I'll bring them with me next weekend. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 16

Hi all planning on coming to the FAWM London meet up next saturday... The venue doesn't have any equipment available BUT I have used this as an excuse to invest in a PA which I have been meaning to do anyway. I figured that we would otherwise need amps and such to cart in anyway so although it is a small room and I think that the pa might be a bit overkill for that really, we will have 6 inputs for mics and pluggy-in instruments if that is helpful to know for anyone. btw this is the PA I am about to get. https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-...

• @karlsburg25  Mar 17

As there's little chance of a peak district gathering i think i may get my little ass down to london town. @shortdan can you get a weekend of being a devoted dad ??

• @morti  Mar 17

@karan @pooka We should go to the march together. How do we do that?

• @sapient  Mar 17

@dragondreams One key for the front door, and a more complicated one for the drinks cabinet... ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @shortdan  Mar 17

I assume you mean a weekend off @karlsburg25?! I'm thinking about it!

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 18

@wobbiewobbit - that looks amazing. Thank you for doing so much for this. If you need some funds toward transporting stuff, do let us know. I am happy to bring mics, but would prefer not to have to lug stands if anyone can do that...

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 18

I have plenty of mics, i have yet to check my mic leads situation but i will. I have 2 (3 if we think we need it) mic stands i can bring. (one of which has mic clips on straight AND boom), I am bringing an electro-acoustic guitar and can bring a telecaster if needed, let me know. I also have a fretless bass, again let me know if that is needed else i won't pack it. we should have ample inputs (8 in all actually, 6 proper channels plus the extra inputs) on the pa. I will drive them down then maybe have to go and park somewhere dunno what it will be like during the day there.

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 18

btw the room is quite small, (will be fine for us) so it's not the amplification that is needed, just the input facility

• @judypie  Mar 19

Yassss, come on @karlsburg25 and @shortdan! Yorkshire massive!

• @dragondreams  Mar 19

I'm bringing my fretted bass and a minimix for sub mixing if we need more inputs. My iPad also has Amplitube with a STACK of amp and FX models loaded plus the iRig adaptor for guitarists to make realistic noises. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Ž

• @shortdan  Mar 19

@judypie @karlsburg25 Alas I'll have to miss out this time around. Can already tell I'll be far too knackered for a trip to London come Saturday! ๐Ÿ˜ž

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 20

So, to summarise who's bringing what:
    @andybalham is bringing electric guitar and things to make it sound weird
    @sw1n3flu your cajon is almost certainly preferable to my cardboard one, so if you're happy to bring it, that'd be good. I own the cardboard one because carrying a normal one through London for Hoops' memorial last year hurt my shoulder and I was pretty sure a foldy one must exist. It's not bad sounding, but it isn't as good as a wooden one.
    @dragondreams - fretted bass and gizmos to make things sound weird
    @wobbiewobbit - electro-acoustic guitar, PA and mics/stands
    @helenseviltwin - foldy instruments, more for peoples' amusement than genuine need by the looks of it. I'll also bring my uke and melodica, as they are small and fun.

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 20

@helenseviltwin Yeah ok cool, I'll bring my cajon. Might also bring an acoustic, depends how much gear I can face bringing!

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 20

i have checked my mic situation. i am lower than i thought. I have a couple of cheap wireless mics that i think sound ok considering the cheapness and will be handy for the wireless part of things. i have one SM58 - thought i had more... and a cheap shure (c606) vocal mic, and a couple of prologue that are not ideal either
    so if you have a decent vocal mic that is easy to chuck in a bag it might be handy. and leads... i am about to get 3 mic leads, cant find my stash of them either.. i must be a bag down at the back of the cupboard under the stairs where i am not venturing!

• @dragondreams  Mar 21

I have a couple of decent mics and some leads. I'll chuck 'em in my bag. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 21

@wobbiewobbit - I can bring an sm58 and a couple of leads. We won't need more than 2 mics, I reckon, especially as it sounds like the room is small enough that unplugged singing will be well heard anyway

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 21

@helenseviltwin (and anyone else!) don't worry I have it in hand.. I have been amazon shopping cos i *neeeeed* the stuff anyway - we are more than covered now.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 21

Brill - thanks everyone ๐Ÿ˜€

• @jonmeta  Mar 21

Lordy, I wish I could be there. No FOPs in Espaรฑa and youโ€™re the closest one. Iโ€™ll be in London NEXT week. Oh the irony. Maybe next year Iโ€™ll plan my life better. Have a blast.

• @andybalham Mar 21

@wobbiewobbit - Thanks for going above and beyond for this. Really looking forward to it and the excuse for a lunchtime pint.

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 21

thanks you're welcome... looking forward to seeing you all

• @dragondreams  Mar 22

Chaos here at the Castle because Peewee wants to come too! He's currently sitting with his head in my half packed rucksack preventing any further attempts at organising myself. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• @karlsburg25  Mar 22

@judypie @adforperu @shortdan I am having to teach this weekend now due to illness on Monday so won't make it London town (sad crying wailing emoj i don't have I so sad) . Have amazing time everyone and will be with you in spirit. x

• @dragondreams  Mar 22

On the coach now. Just left Leeds and due to arrive at London Victoria smack in the middle of rush hour. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• @karan  Mar 22

@morti, @sentense and myself will meet at the pub at ca. 11.30 to walk with the march for a bit before returning to join with you all at the pub again. It's only a 25 minute walk to the gathering point - if anybody else would like to join us, just be there!
    ๐Ÿ˜€

• @karan  Mar 22

P. S. Coud anyone bring a music stand? I remember that we missed one last year. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 23

I've got a music stand. I've not brought my cardboard cajon because it doesn't fit in my bag with the other stuff and @sw1n3flu is bringing one anyway

• @chrishope Mar 23

have a ball y'all x

• @musicsongwriter Mar 23

Have a great time. I'm teaching during the weekends as well so can't join and I also have limitations as I don't have a good keyboard to bring over but hopefully one day it will be possible to join the ball ๐Ÿ˜€

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 23

I am here stupidly early, as is my wont

• @dragondreams  Mar 23

We're on our way but running a little late. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Ž

• @sapient  Mar 23

I'm checking in to my hotel... Will be there in about half an hour!

• @adforperu  Mar 23

Due to various woes, we're going to be waaaaay late!

• @andybalham Mar 24

I have battled technology and my hangover and have uploaded the the videos from yesterdayโ€™s shindig. Sadly the cowbell extravaganza was not captured, but @dragondreams puzzlement at being given completely the wrong chords by me definitely was (apologies again sir).

Thanks to everyone yesterday for making it such a enjoyable experience once again and especially to @wobbiewobbit for sorting out so much. Now to go and lie down in a darkened room.

@wobbiewobbit
    Set 1: https://youtu.be/tlQ766jyWfA
    Set 2:https://youtu.be/NbIsH-allCI

@helenseviltwin
    Set 1: https://youtu.be/xLXzE-yRae0
    Set 2: https://youtu.be/VHg94MxzVeU

@andybalham
    Set 1: https://youtu.be/Qx3JJMf4UwE (NSFW)
    Set 2: https://youtu.be/w6KnmI1bveg

@hornesgiftshop
    Set 1: https://youtu.be/cZdoBdJ5zdg
    Set 2: https://youtu.be/fX5kIaVOlBc

@johnnycashpoint
    Set 1: https://youtu.be/Y8W7_DmBzbE
    Set 2: https://youtu.be/sBiuOWU2ZAU

@pooka
    Set 1: https://youtu.be/kUNPFK8-TwY
    Set 2: https://youtu.be/hhH_IniP5jU

• @andybalham Mar 24

Just noticed these were truncated from previous post:

@sw1n3flu
    Set 1: https://youtu.be/Zw5EwmBf-4M
    Set 2: https://youtu.be/6tkqNnLDHGI

@karan
    https://youtu.be/AG15824ONMs

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 24

thanks for doing that @andybalham ๐Ÿ˜€ vids are great, i think we could have done better on our stage management though... oops

• @pooka  Mar 24

Thanks, everyone - it was a good FOP.

Great venue, @wobbiewobbit - it was a good find!

Thanks for the videos, @andybalham - YouTube has decided to stop working on my computer (I may have more luck with my tablet), but I've converted the videos to mp3 and they sound great!

I think @morti has videos of himself, and hopefully he'll share them here!

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 24

I have one of @morti - have emailed him the link ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @sapient  Mar 24

@andybalham many thanks to you and your antique, steam powered camera ๐Ÿ˜
    And @wobbiewobbit... Thank you SO MUCH for organising it! What a star! What a lovely venue! What a wonderfully bossy PA! Poor @sw1n3flu ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @guatecoop  Mar 25

Goodness that was fantastic to watch your performances!! Great! I wish that I couldโ€™ve been there. Thanks for the videos!

• @sunnymae  Mar 25

Sounds like a blast!!! Can't wait to watch the videos ๐Ÿ˜€

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 25

Thanks to @wobbiewobbit for organising and to @andybalham for filming and to everyone for being there and being just lovely.

• @julesbf Mar 26

Wow the videos are awesome, well done everybody looked loads of fun. I will have to be a bit more organised and book train tickets way in advance next year, would be great be able to meet everybody. Until next year!

• @pooka  Mar 30

Does anyone have my guitar tuner? It's gone AWOL and I'm beginning to fear that I may have left it behind. ๐Ÿ˜ž

• @wobbiewobbit  Apr 1

i checked the bag of stuff that came back to mine, nothing in there

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...