Commenting styles and expectations

Skip to the bottom

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 15

I have a very eclectic way of engaging with the content posted here. I do spend some time deliberately reciprocating the time and energy someone gives me with their comments, especially early on in February when keeping up with the comments on only one or two songs is easy. But other times I might be listening to random play while I’m driving or have my hands occupied with another task so even though I might want to comment it’s not possible (or safe!!). Sometimes I just click on titles I like or if I'm somewhere I have to be quiet I look for lyrics only. There is also the scenario where I seek out someone’s music but it’s so far from my realm I don’t feel there is anything I could say that would be authentic so I move on and leave it for someone who is a better encourager of that particular kind of art. I certainly don’t want polite responses to my own songs. I have no attachment to getting comments, although I’m grateful and it does energetically inspire me to push through the challenge. There are also people I'm definitely waiting to listen to because I know I'll keep stuck on their pages drinking in every note and I haven't yet had that luxury (time-wise)...

...But I’ve started to see pointed comments on soundboards (not mine) which indicate there is an expectation of reciprocal comments. Which to me is against my idea of why we are here. To be free creative individuals. To seek out music in our own tangled random ways and maybe pay it forward to a FAWMLing or somebody not so well connected on the site. I welcome everyone to the site even if they don't write a single comment. But now I'm wondering - are there really people out there who are actively resenting me because my random comment method has not led me back to their page yet?

• @petemurphy  Feb 15

I've taken a different approach this year, and have been using the 'play random song' button more than anything. It means that I haven't gotten around to some of the people on my watch list yet (sorry, friends!).

I've stated on my profile that I don't expect reciprocation (in fact, receiving comments isn't something that drives me to create. I write and release music all the time, so I'd be doing it with or without FAWM. However, I do credit FAWM with helping me get to the stage where I am able to write so many songs).

If someone never listens or comments on my stuff, I don't let that dictate whether I'll listen to their music or not.

Your comments are ace, Liz.
    Your music is ace too, and I would listen to it even if you didn't listen to mine.

Ah, thanks @petemurphy - we are so lucky to have you as part of this community. I should really get more thick skinned and not worry about whether someone out there in the world thinks I'm a terrible person. But I also bristle at some of those soundboard comments.

• @standup  Feb 15

I have not seen any "You owe me a comment" type remarks that I can recall. I think it's important to leave a comment that gives your honest reaction to a song (though if I don't like I song I keep going and don't comment), and that comment should be the same whether or not you expect a reciprocal comment.

I think it should be done in a spirit of altruism. You may not ever get anything back. Comment anyway.

• @judypie  Feb 15

Ooh I haven’t seen any such comments but to me it would feel like giving a gift only to receive one. I.e not very polite!

• @petemurphy  Feb 15

Ah, sure, I've been affected by soundboard comments and forum arguments in the past, so my skin can be a little on the thin side at times.

In this case of commenting, I just do the best I can do, and assume that everyone else is doing the same. If they don't comment on my songs, I don't take it personally, and certainly wouldn't think of them as a terrible person 😀

(I'm in the 'century club', but if someone is only able to give 30 comments in the month then it's all good with me. I don't know other people's circumstances or time constraints, therefore it wouldn't be right of me to judge them. Not that I'm saying anyone is judging anyone else).

• @metalfoot  Feb 15

Hey @fearlessflight2014 -- I don't expect comment reciprocation, and while it's something I try to do, I don't always succeed at it. So just comment as you can where you can and don't worry about it, is how I look at things.

• @nikke88  Feb 15

I always try to comment a song from a person, who has commented on any song of mine. Even though I have to admit that I have been a bit lazy with that custom this year. 😀 Seems that I have some catching up to do during this February...

Most often I just use the "random song" -button and try to find something positive about the song, that I can write as a comment. Sometimes the genre of the song is too unfamiliar to me and I can't come up with anything; on those occasions I just push that button again. Or just check the new songs and Zongs.

Personally I don't expect people to comment on my songs just because I have commented on theirs. People have different amounts of time to use for commenting and so on. Just because I have time (and energy/motivation) to do it doesn't mean that everyone else has.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 15

@fearlessflight2014 and @petemurphy - I'm with you guys. Sometimes I hit the random song button - and if I feel led to comment, I do - or I don't. sometimes I peruse the "zongs" list and comment there. Sometimes I'll go listen to a song of someone who commented on my songs. I don't go thank people for their comments or reciprocate comments, and that, in the past, has caused strife on the Forums, but I can't let it bother me. I'm doing my FAWM my way. I'm in the Century club - almost the 200's, and will be well above that before March - but that is because my lifestyle and personal responsibilities give me a lot of time to do so. I don't expect comments - they are very welcome (provided they are in the spirit of FAWM and do not pertain to the mixing, recording, or production of the song) but not expected. I give comments to who I choose when I want. After all, it isn't February Album Commenting Month, It's Writing Month. All should feel welcome here, regardless of their process or level of ability. Some folks just don't have the time to comment - as they are devoting their precious time to creating - which is how it should be. Life is short. Pay it forward and the only expectations one should have is for themselves. Hugs!

• @zecoop  Feb 15

I love the random button too, but have been thwarted by my employer since they block files.famers and make it difficult to listen to personal servers (such as @metalfoot). Good news is that I officially asked the corporate powers that be to unblock the FAWM server and after a week, they actually did!! But it takes three clicks or so on personal servers due to "protecting the corporation".

I love listening. I love commenting, but don't get at all offended when people don't comment back. It's all good and FAWM is awesome no matter how you do it. Well, unless you get negative in comments or posts. But I haven't seen that this year, and also have not seen the reciprocating comments @fearlessflight2014 mentioned. There have been some form posts to the effect of "How do I get more comments?" and the general answer to that is listen/comment more, which I agree with. The more you interact and the more you get to know people, you'll get more people listening.

That said, I have a TON of people whose music I love, but I haven't had the time or ability to listen to yet. I always hope they understand, and I think they do.

FAWM is the best. I look forward to it every year. 😀

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 15

@fearlessflight2014 It's not required, but I find that people that LIKE getting lots of comments and interactions with others find they get a lot more responses if they are "out there" commenting on people's songs.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I really do enjoy getting comments, but I also know there is NO WAY I can keep up with all the people I've watchlisted. I attempt to leave comments for people that leave me comments, but I also don't feel guilty if I don't. I like to leave comments for songs by people I've never heard. I really try and reach out as much as possible because I truly love the social/community aspect of FAWM.

I'm sure there are a few people out there that have an expectation that if they leave a comment they are somehow entitled to a response. I think those people are few and far between. (or else they haven't said anything like that to me).

@judypie I agree!
    @petemurphy I couldn't agree more. We just don't know what others are going through or what th

• @johnstaples  Feb 15

I try to return the favor when someone is kind enough to comment on one of my songs. But I am getting a bit overwhelmed and behind by this point in the challenge. 😞

• @adforperu  Feb 15

Everyone uses FAWM in different ways, but I don't think anyone should be expectant as to how people act on here, as long as we're all kind and respectful. I try and get round everyone that comments on my music, but it might not even been until March when that happens. It's too exhausting to write music all month, follow my watchlist, find new stuff, and comment to give comments back to everyone. Thankfully I've not come across any bad blood and I'm sorry that you have @fearlessflight2014. I'd just say to ignore it and hopefully it's nothing personal.. i know there are people on here that have been here years and get a small amount of comments and perhaps they get frustrated, but there can be a multitude of reasons for that happening!

Thanks guys, it helps to know that there isn’t a set in stone Moses-style commandment that I’m breaking with my random meandering ways. I’m going to struggle to get to 14 songs this year so I’m not going to put any extra pressure on myself. Here’s to this great community and the way they support each other!

• @tcelliott  Feb 15

If the ONLY reasons someone is commenting is to get comments back then I don't want their comments. But it is a perfectly fine motivation to comment more. I know I've used it in the past. "When I comment more I tend to get more comments. I think I'll comment some before I go to bed tonight." Of course, that's completely different than feeling you are owed comments because you gave one.

• @scottlake  Feb 15

@fearlessflight2014 what you want from you are your songs (and maybe the chance to collaborate, not gonna lie)

• @scottlake  Feb 15

^^ should say “what I want from you”

• @musicsongwriter Feb 15

Thank you for starting this thread Liz and for your positive ideas.
    Yes, couldn't agree more, Tom. It's a lot to think about and everyone has priorities. Mine is not the number of the comments but comments from people who listened to the whole song/instrumental and wrote their true opinion. It's not easy, requires more time, might lead to less comments given but this is what I would value more than the number of comments. I do the same, I will listen to the whole song and I will write what I believe so if I don't connect I wouldn't leave my comment. I wouldn't like to play a comment for a comment. I wrote on my youtube page that I don't do a comment for a comment, a sub for a sub as too many people write comments "Liked your music. Please visit my page and like it". It's kind of automatic and doesn't give me any answer to whether they liked what they heard or they wrote it to get a comment from me. I'm always very interested in discovering new wonderful songs on this site and it's a p

Thank you for starting this thread Liz and for your positive ideas.
    Yes, couldn't agree more, Tom. It's a lot to think about and everyone has priorities. Mine is not the number of the comments but comments from people who listened to the whole song/instrumental and wrote their true opinion. It's not easy, requires more time, might lead to less comments given but this is what I would value more than the number of comments. I do the same, I will listen to the whole song and I will write what I believe so if I don't connect I wouldn't leave my comment. I wouldn't like to play a comment for a comment. I wrote on my youtube page that I don't do a comment for a comment, a sub for a sub as too many people write comments "Liked your music. Please visit my page and like it". It's kind of automatic and doesn't give me any answer to whether they liked what they heard or they wrote it to get a comment from me. I'm always very interested in discovering new wonderful songs

Continued: new wonderful songs on this site and it's a pleasure to comment when I find amazing work here. Thank you to everyone for the inspiration.
    Nadia

• @timfatchen  Feb 15

Yes I too have seen the odd "I've done a lot of comments but not much has come to me" posts and winced a trifle. I've never received more comments than I gave and it's never worried me because it's not a zero-sum game. I'm able to comment a lot (now) because I'm home at a desktop in the studio and it's straightforward , the car won't run off the road and I have no employer!. I do try to "reciprocate" with comments, especially with those I've never heard of, or forgotten, because that often leads me to new discoveries (and an even fatter watchlist, another sad tale). This year, I'm gone in a few days and will miss the end frenzy and clean-up frenzy so I know there'll be comments come in that I'll never get to return because the senders will have disappeared.

Make no mistake: I do enjoy receiving comments-- I long ago tired of of shouting into the void for not even an echo--but I find what they say illuminating (one gets a feel for it!). And like @petemurphy ,originally the commen

• @timfatchen  Feb 15

Yes I too have seen the odd "I've done a lot of comments but not much has come to me" posts and winced a trifle. I've never received more comments than I gave and it's never worried me because it's not a zero-sum game. I'm able to comment a lot (now) because I'm home at a desktop in the studio and it's straightforward , the car won't run off the road and I have no employer!. I do try to "reciprocate" with comments, especially with those I've never heard of, or forgotten, because that often leads me to new discoveries (and an even fatter watchlist, another sad tale). This year, I'm gone in a few days and will miss the end frenzy and clean-up frenzy so I know there'll be comments come in that I'll never get to return because the senders will have disappeared.

Make no mistake: I do enjoy receiving comments-- I long ago tired of of shouting into the void for not even an echo--but I find what they say illuminating (one gets a feel for it!). And like @petemurphy ,originally the commen

• @timfatchen  Feb 15

.... And like @petemurphy ,originally the comments were a huge help in kickstarting my then-moribund musical career and overcoming an appalling lack of confidence, something I haven't forgotten and something I continue to try to pay forward. But you do what you can and what your circumstances permit. Any attacking person I come across, that's it, I avoid permanently. I have enough drama angst and heartbreak in my life, thanks.

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 16

i've not seen them but if people are prodding and poking for return comments that is just RUDE. i also try to reciprocate but it isnt always possible to do it straight away and certainly i dont think it should be asked for or expected

• @julesbf Feb 16

I reciprocate with a comment when i get one but i realised a long time ago that the value of FAWM to me as a musician has nothing to do with other people listening or liking what i am doing. The act of engaging with FAWM drives my creativity in ways i could never imagine and i am always surprised by what i turn out and the ways in which i develop. Listening to other great musicians, especially those that i have loved listening to for many years @fearlessflight2014 @fearlessflight2014 @stevenwesleyguiles @johnstaples @tcelliott @musicsongwriter inspires me to improve and develop further. I am the musician i am today because of FAWM.

• @musicsongwriter Feb 16

This thread can inspire us for creating songs. Many ideas for lyrics. Will be very interesting to hear the fruits of thoughts. Just an idea 😀

• @zecoop  Feb 16

@julesbf - Right on... I find so much incredible talent here, than I am ALWAYS inspired when I listen. If I didn't get any comments it would still be fine. It wouldn't be the same, but it would still be good. The only time I really write is February. I try other times of the year and sometimes get a song or two out, but nothing like FAWM. There's magic around here. 😀

• @tseaver  Feb 16

I like listening and commenting, which is why I do it. I am lazy enough to default first to my watchlist and to those who have commented on my songs, but don't feel like it is "reciprocal" -- if I comment on song by a writer whose work I've never heard before, that just means I got to hear something new / interesting / cool, not that I'm owed anything in return.

I did run out of head-space early this week for listening / commenting (even writing!), which is a shame, as I'm certain I missed hearing some great stuff I probably won't find again.

• @edwardsmusic Feb 16

Reading/skimming through this thread, I understand the general idea of what people are saying. I admit that on a couple of occasions I've asked some FAWMers to comment on my works immediately after I've commented on theirs, and in one case I've received criticism for it.
    I acknowledge that not everyone is reciprocal (some FAWMers may leave a mere 'thank-you' message on my soundboard, whilst others may not leave anything at all). I also experienced this last year when I commented on hundreds of songs (post-February mind you), but that was more obvious because the majority of FAWMers had already left.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 16

I tend to skew my commenting more toward new FAWMers, as I think the encouragement is most important when you're brand new, but other than that, it tends to be a bit random.

• @lvgd09  Feb 16

I like to comment during skirmishes. I also comment on my watchlist songs. I can't get all of them but it's a good starting place for commenting. People who comment on my songs have priority and I usually make a comment on one of their songs, rather than leave a comment on their soundboard "thank you for commenting on my ___ song". Further, I can't comment on my phone so that's that. My current comment status stands at 155.

• @ustaknow Feb 16

Hey @fearlessflight2014 yes, I see you got your answer.

I think the year I joined I asked how folks approach this so I could "get" this place more quickly.

I got many open, honest ans then, and interested now to read through them here. This has only been up a day, and on the weekend too, so you may get a few more.

I appreciated the honesty then, if even not agreed with. I won't provide my opinion on any of it, however, example I remember may be of interest. So, for example, several said, - "if you did/did not have "rock hands"" predicated a priority, or if at all.

Then there was a dedicated thread with extensive argument about, "sounds good like it" - just to get them "out there"; and the value or damage of knocking off their Zong for which they might have gotten more granular comment. I think the Lyricist only crowd was waging that "war" and got allot of pushback, "I'm offended" type responses. (That's a literal take, no opinion, again, not offering a valuation of response.)

I've said, I do prefer granular; however, if I get a "sounds good like it" from a long time follower, well, how many times can they say what they like, how and why; so, there's that.

I started a thread here day one ?, where I offered a click through of the body of work, with one (1) comment only reaction to all of it toward the end, or afterward, 😝 no takers on that yet. (Said, I'd have to remember it's there.)

And yes, there are many "games" played for "click count" and etc. Just ID those just like in real life, take a year or two and engage as appropriate. Took me 2 yrs.

Some of the "game playing" takes up allot of time for some who want to fit in ? conform, and at the *end will come through with comments after the lights are turned off 😝 here.

This question *gets asked and is "here" in other forms, possibly misunderstood?

Some are here for the writing, some to sell a use car to another used car dealer 😀 good luck wit dat 😉

Some here are easily offended 1x and done! Oh well!

• @phoenixash Feb 16

I listen people's song because I'm genuinely interested, when I don't like it, or don't understand it I simply move on. I repay every comment I get and try to keep up with the person. I feel that the greatest thing about FAWM is that you get to focus on writing and simply sharing. Getting listened is fab and getting a good comment is incredible, but I do not think it should be the point. This is a community for writers, not for fan making. Even though I became a fan of some people.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...