Why CD Baby Won't Release My Album

Skip to the bottom

• @mattblick  Feb 13

aka why I'm spending so little time on FAWM cos I'm still trying to get my album on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon etc

Read the whole sorry tale here

http://www.mattblick.com/2019/01/why-...

and leave any messages of sympathy/condolences below!

• @metalfoot  Feb 13

Matt,
    That sucks. And I haven't forgotten that I still need to buy your new album! It's a gooder.

• @tcelliott  Feb 13

Male cow manure. I know we don't always see eye to eye on politics, but I like your music, I like your posts and I consider you one of the good guys. Have you thought about using a different company to get on digital distribution streams? Maybe one of the free ones? Just wondering.

• @petemurphy  Feb 13

Just so you know - when you delete your Facebook account, it doesn't instantly delete your profile. There is a 30 grace period where you can log back in if you change your mind.
    I deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts a few weeks ago.

Sorry you've had hassles with your album.

• @tesla3090  Feb 13

Damn, yeah. Hit up a different distributor. That's unfortunate that CDBaby won't do it

• @owl  Feb 13

Ugh, that sucks. Try one of the other ones like Distrokid? (what is it with distribution services and "child" words in the name?)

We had an issue with our second album with CDBaby refusing to release our album until we renamed this song (it's just called Track 1 on the streaming services now as a result, I believe)
    https://gentlebrontosaurus.bandcamp.c...

• @evinwolverton  Feb 13

CDBaby is a dinosaur ready for extinction. Distrokid will not give you this problem. Jump ship and never look back.

• @lvgd09  Feb 13

This is a surprise to me too. Their policy stated, “digital partners (Spotify, Apple Music etc) won’t accept songs with celebrities or brands in the title.” Seems you have two options, one, tell them to shove their service up their asses, or two, simply change the name. It could be a new policy I don't know. However, they did point out Spotify and Apple Music. Who is to blame here? It's not you because you never heard of this policy until now. They told you how to fix it but you don't have to like it. In fact, you don't have to use their service, which is exactly what I personally would do. It's their loss as they can't make money off of you. I hate the PC Police because nobody is ever going to force me to change. I'll change if I want to, period (includes the title of my song)

• @mattblick  Feb 13

@Ivgd09 the problem is that spotify and all do accept songs with this things. After a bunch of hunting around I found a track uploaded THIS YEAR by CD Baby containing the name John Lennon.

@evinwolverton and @owl I've just uploaded Refugee With An iPhone as a single on Distrokid. If That works and I continue to have problems with CdBaby that's probably what's gonna happen - I've already done all the work with the album now and don't want to start from scratch with a new distributer.

Next time might be a different story though.

• @mattblick  Feb 13

@petemurphy - thanks yes I'm aware of that - I'm doing it piece by piece trying to remove a lot of stuff before I quit (deleting groups ONE MEMBER at a time!)

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 14

Utter ridiculousness that you're having to go through this. I hope Distokid does you right and you can move forward with distribution, even if it's not your intended direction. Good luck!

• @mikeb Feb 14

I didn't put my first 2 albums on the usual streaming service, just released through bandcamp and amazon music. But then I came across a new service out there - currently not charging! Check it out: https://beta.levelmusic.com/ I put my 2nd album on there, and its on Spotify already, trying to get the artist link correct on iTunes. As the cost is right, I'm going to put the first album on there, too, flaws and all.

• @airbagtester  Feb 14

Ed Sullivan Show: "Hey guys, how about instead of 'Let's spend the night together' you say 'let's spend some time together...'"
    Keith Richards: "I will outlive your grandchildren."

• @sailingmagpie  Feb 14

You should ask them how it is that Bowie's Hunky Dory is on Spotify, as the track titles contain not only Andy Warhol's but also Bob Dylan's name.

• @artpaul Feb 14

I think I would just change the titles to J L Blues and Refugee with a Cell Phone but then I compromise. You could sue and and see if that helps but it will take time out of your life. I think CD Baby has got stricter because of the download stores getting on there backs but that is just what I think. You have to decide whether artist creativity is more important or time. You could also release the CD without those 2 songs on CD Baby and you could release those 2 songs somewhere else that also puts your songs in spotify and iTunes.

• @keithcuts Feb 14

Ahh. I liked the line “selling red hats to one team and blue hats to the other”
    Rings so true in the context of your post.

But to be fair I don’t agree with your “this is why I’m not doing fawm”. That my friend just sounds like an excuse

Interesting article though well worth the share 👍

• @mattblick  Feb 14

@sailingmagpie exactly - though more pertinent are the 100s of tracks that contain 'John Lennon' and 'iPhone' in the titles!

@artpaul - I can't make those changes - the songs already contain the words in the choruses, the recordings are mixed and mastered, the album artwork contains the original titles and is sequenced with all 12 songs. Even if I WANTED to change , I would have to redo the entire album.

@tcelliott thanks!
    @airbagtester haha! He'll outlive us all. Including Spotify, CD Baby AND the internet itself!
    @owl - they now don't allow songs with generic titles like Track 1 either!!!

• @mattblick  Feb 14

@keithcuts - thanks. TBF that's why I haven't been able to do much SO far - I'm still working on some FAWMable ideas!

• @owl  Feb 14

@mattblick How annoying! A good PSA but i'm sorry for all the hassle you're having with them.

• @mattblick  Feb 18

UPDATE - thanks to DistroKid one of the problem songs is now up on all digital platforms https://www.amazon.co.uk/Refugee-iPho...

• @tcelliott  Feb 18

Nice

• @keithcuts Feb 18

Excellent!

• @keithcuts Feb 18

In iPhone newer than mine

We can’t look after bankers...

Lol that’s good stuff.
    I listened on apple music no problem. Now that you’re rich... write some fawm songs playa

• @moonraccoon  Feb 19

Oh jeez. Much sympathy, artist to artist. I would have been tempted to *seem* to capitulate, with the replacement song titles "(censored) Blues" and "Refugee with an (censored)". Hell, I'd make them the permanent titles.

Glad you've got options, and you're making it happen.

• @paulhenry  Feb 19

@mattblick, sorry to hear about your troubles. Thanks for this thread, though. I'd have never heard about DistroKid.

The only reason I don't quit Facebook is the importance potential venues place in it for booking you. I'd be interested to know if this is an issue for you and what you're going to do once you're off FB.

• @stmon99 Feb 19

Same thing happened to me. And this was a Japanese artist who I don't think most people in the U.S. knows. I think they didn't want any confusion that the artist had anything to do with the song? I don't know. Anyway, I really didn't give two sh**s what the title was so I just changed it and it went through.

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 19

Sounds a total headache. It’s been so long since I properly released anything. I just stick to Bandcamp and sell physical product at shows. I don’t do other digital streaming because their financial model makes me mad. I know it means less chance of discovery but I gave up on being discovered in any way ten years ago. I am glad you are persevering in order for more people to hear that beautiful album!

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 19

Re. Facebook. My publicist friend convinced me not to delete my music account so I just unfriended almost everyone, and changed my personal profile name before deactivating it so that I can reactivate it in order to mention bigger music news like an album launch. It feels like an incredibly half-arsed exit but besides the nuisance of messenger which some of my O/S tour buddy insist on using it is having the desired effect. I can honestly say I’m a happier person now that Facebook is not a daily part of my life.

• @mattblick  Feb 21

@fearlessflight2014 it's insanely complicated to extricate yourself from FB but I'm determined to see it through. It's probably a bad idea career-wise but I'm almost as sick of my 'career' as I am of Facebook so that's fine!

But I AM still trying to get the album out! Thanks for the support!

• @sbs2018 Feb 21

Ah, Facebook politics. I quit for the last time about 15 months ago and my sanity and peace have returned. I won’t go back. The only time I get annoyed about it now is when it’s in my face because FB junkies and media hounds shout about it. Anyway, I hope you get your album out. Thanks for sharing your story.

• @scottlake  Feb 21

@fearlessflight2014 ”took me 20 years to get discovered overnight” - Michael Powers in his song “Successful Son”

• @balancelost  Feb 21

Meanwhile, hooray for Bandcamp. The only platform where I've ever actually made any money, and can discover awesome new artists for free every day.

• @mattblick  Mar 2

@keithcuts thanks!

• @johnstaples  Mar 3

Several people mentioned quitting Facebook. But I honestly don't understand the angst over Facebook. I have used it and enjoyed it for many years.

It allows me to stay in touch with so many people I never talked to or didn't even know before. I have reconnected with friends and family from the past.

I block anyone who annoys me. I only accept friend requests from folks I know or meet through online communities like FAWM.

I enjoy and post lots of political memes and I honestly think this has helped me maintain sanity since the Russians chose our last president!

And when I don't wanna deal with Facebook I simply don't log on! I don't announce my departure or anything dramatic like that. I simply use it when I want to and don't use it when I don't.

Maybe it is different for those of you using it for your music career but as a personal medium for staying in touch I really like it.

• @tcelliott  Mar 3

FB is a tool. If it brings you joy then use it. If not then don't. At the very least it can be a distraction. At worst it can cause hard feelings (especially about politics and religion, in my experience.)

I stop following people who post too much about religion or politics. I'm still friends and I still interact with them, especially in groups like FAWM etc., But even when I agree with them it's annoying to interrupt my happy music and funny place with crap on a medium that makes it nearly impossible to have a real conversation.

Actually, to be honest, it if weren't for a couple of facebook groups, I'd be on there a lot less. I've found interactions with real people are a whole lot more rewarding. FB allows me to be lazy. I don't visit friends or even talk to them on the phone much when I can just like a post. I definitely feel less FB is a viable solution to my tendency to sit at home reading, writing and playing music to the exclusion of other activities.

• @johnstaples  Mar 3

Exactly @tcelliott! I have a TV but I watch very little. Not giving it up though! And FB provides all the tools needed to make it work like you want!

I am not talking about folks on this thread hut I am always puzzled/amused on FB when someone makes a huge dramatic production of leaving! And they usually come back.

As for FB interactions vs. "real" ones, as an introvert I much prefer arms-distance relationships with the vast majority of folks so FB is perfect on that front for me! 😀

• @scottlake  Mar 3

I think it’s all down to fear of being sued. Working directly for large corporations, as I have, often puts one in nonsensical situations. One of the companies I worked for removed a recommendation letter I had written for an intern who had done a fantastic job for our department. Their reasoning: since I had written the letter on company letterhead, and I hadn’t written the same type of letter for other interns in the past, it could be misconstrued as not being fair to the others! This was in the very early 1990’s, so no talk about snowflakes please. They were merely afraid of being sued, so this intern who simply out worked others in the past did not get recognized for it due to their fear.

Matt, I have used your Beatles Songwriting Academy Tickets to Write more times than I can remember and I thank you deeply for them. The world of songwriters should know about them. I think they deserve their own FB page. It is an incredible tool for evil but also for good. I would change

• @mattblick  Mar 4

Hey thanks @scottlake I'm still going to work on BSA and hopefully get more done in the future (and eventually have it's own forum).

Hey @johnstaples - it's a personal thing in the sense that I'm a little addictive by nature - I find it hard to moderate my usage so all or nothing works best for me with diets and exercise and things.

As far as FB as an entity - the way it is structured is starting to have a bad effect on the world politically - even if we ignore the people we disagree with FB lets us only see the people we agree with and the inflammatory things we hate. It's in it's DNA to be polarising. That's not just FB but lots of social media - however for me, right now FB is the worse.

But the biggie was the worry that I couldn't live without it. Every link I visited titled 'I quit FB' hadn't - they'd cut down, taken as month off, taken the app of their phone...

So I've decided to try - it's just for my own sanity and no one else's. I'll let you know how I get on!

PS I can't speak for anyone else - but it took a long time to collect email addresses and phone nos of FB friends so I could stay in touch. If I'd already had that stuff I would have happily disappeared without telling anyone!

• @johnstaples  Mar 4

Hey @mattblick, glad to hear BSA will still be around! That is an incredible resource you've put together! And I understand the "all or nothing" concept!! I have currently removed all fast food from my diet because I cannot eat just a little of it!

While I don't disagree with what you say about the perils of Facebook I think our current problems of extreme polarization in the USA started around 1987 when the fairness doctrine was eliminated by the FCC. Trash like Rush Limbaugh and Fox "News" could never have gained their current prominence had those rules stayed in place. And, yes, there is media bias in other sources, but none anywhere near the blatant lies told by these two and their ilk. They have become pure propaganda channels.

So the undisputed fact that Facebook shows you people you agree with and those things you hate doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that maybe one-third or more of our society believes all of what what they hear from places like Limbaugh and Fox!

• @johnstaples  Mar 4

I hope your departure from Facebook is good for you! I honestly don't know what, if anything, will save our country from Fox and Rush and, yes, even Facebook!

• @tcelliott  Mar 4

A friend, and musician, Brian Henneman of the Bottle Rockets quit cold turkey. Deleted everything so he couldn't come back without starting over. He still has instagram and seems to be very happy with his decisions. He even wrote a song about it. There is a super long introduction to the song in this live clip, but it's worth it for the explanation of where the song came from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkLyy...

• @johnstaples  Mar 4

Didn't John Prine write a song fifty or so years ago about blowing up his tv and moving to the country? 😁

• @mattblick  Mar 4

thanks @tcelliott I'll check it out @johnstaples - thanks man - I don't know what to say about Fox other than - thank god we don't have that over here!

• @metalfoot  Mar 24

Dear @mattblick,

Thank you for your lovely album. I really like the one-guitar-and-voice approach you took with this one. Songwriting is strong and the performance is captivating. Feels like I'm sitting in a pub or coffeehouse listening to you and getting lost in your stories.

Maybe someday, if I work really hard, I can do something so worthwhile. Maybe. 😀

• @mattblick  Apr 14

thanks @metalfoot ! I really appreciate your kind comments - keep writing!

• @berni1954  6 weeks

What a saga! The industry is getting more sillier every week.

Great song your JL one. But one thing puzzled me.... Caulfield is the main character in Catcher in the Rye... Or are you, like me, reluctant to use the real name of that bastard publicity seeker/CIA puppet?

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...