JAWM, anyone?

Skip to the bottom

• @radioovermoscow Feb 11

Shutting all the windows and turning off the fan so I can record some vocals in weather this stonkingly hot is some kind of self-inflicted torture.

July Album Writing Month, anyone?

Though at this rate of climate change, even Julys will be intolerable in a few years...

• @jwhanberry  Feb 11

50/90 Starts July 4. Many FAWMers participate in that is well. That should cover it. That's a hot month here in Kentucky, USA.

• @darkmantle  Feb 12

It's -7 celsius here, with the wind, feels like -15. (that's 18 F, feels like 5 for Americans)

• @spingo  Feb 12

I tried 50/90 here in Arizona and the 44/110-degree weather similarly made things difficult. Hard to hold a guitar when you're a puddle of goo.

• @tesla3090  Feb 12

This thread had me so confused for a second...

• @stephenwordsmith Feb 12

I've written every song this year beneath an overzealous air conditioner. Buggered if I know how the Australians are managing to get any songs written (or sleep) with overnight lows of 36.

• @krayzie003  Feb 12

As someone else mentioned 50/90 is a great challenge starting in July. Not only a month but 3. There's not as much action there as in FAWM but same basic principle and lots of great people to work with. With as hot and muggy as it gets here in Florida during the summer I prefer to stay inside and create music.

• @torniojaws  Feb 12

I think the point is that 50/90 is a little bit hardcore compared to 14 songs πŸ˜€ But having a competing event at the same time with 50/90 would also be bad. I would be up for a 14 song month twice a year, though.

Summers up here in Finland are pleasant +20 C / +69 F on average πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Feb 12

50/90 is hardcore compared to FAWM if you go for the full 50. But if you just want to hang out and do some songwriting and hear a bunch of good tunes but aren't too worried about the target, it's considerably more laid-back...

• @rainchaser  Feb 12

@krayzie003 lol you know the drill! Unlike people from the northern hemisphere, us Floridians don't suffer that much in February! The most we get is probably late 40s but we normally get late 60s or early 70s!! But yet during summer it is a total scorcher for us, while it's beach weather for the northern hemisphere!

• @cblack  Feb 12

@stephenwordsmith this Australian gets songs done by doing EDM and only small amounts of recording vocals. No need to worry about background noise. πŸ˜€

• @coolparadiso  Feb 12

By sweating alot @stephenwordsmith . Its the hotest we have ever had at my place. In Melbourne at the monent and its pretty nice here! Not too hot at all. Yay!

• @coolparadiso  Feb 12

tassie next should be cooler there!

• @timfatchen  Feb 12

@stephenwordsmith and this Australian gets songs done by lurking on the ground floor of a 174y.o. building with 3ft thick stone walls and no foundations. The rising damp makes for great evaporative cooling.

• @onewholovesrock Feb 12

I just woke up with another foot of snow this morning if that helps cool off any of youbAustralians out there!❄️❄️❄️

• @tcelliott  Feb 12

I second the suggestion on 50/90. Do it for a month, try to get 14 songs. The infrastructure is already set up. Then if you feel like it you can stick around and do another song or two in August and September... or not if you don't feel like it.

There are less participants which result in less comments etc., but it seems to be easier to interact with more of the participants. It's very similar and different at the same time. A few little quirks that are different on the site. But it's fun.

• @faceofeinstein  Feb 12

Haha last week it was - 50Β°C with windchill here. We certainly have opposite problems.

• @stephenwordsmith Feb 12

All this madness inspired a song: https://fawm.org/songs/93538/

Kia Kaha, my transtasman cousins. I see Brissie's high today is a balmy 36.

• @radioovermoscow Feb 12

50/90 is a bit much eh. Bit too much focus on quantity, rather than quality.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 13

@radioovermoscow - like @vomvorton says, you don’t have to go for 50... Just try for 14 over that time and enjoying being a part of it!

It’s laid back and relaxed. πŸ˜€

• @amysens Feb 14

WOW, I thought 14 songs in a month was kinda crazy. πŸ˜€

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...