Bossa nova/hip hop collaboration?

Skip to the bottom

• @vadellgabriel Feb 2019

Lately, I've been going through my Pete Rock & J Dilla beats, and noticed they had quite a bit of Brazilian jazz/bossa nova samples in their work. I always wanted to do something similar, but as an original composition instead of just sampling. Does anyone here on FAWM make bossa nova music? If you can sing as well, that's a plus.

• @leepat  Feb 2019

@vadellgabriel hey, i was thinking of doing a bossa nova number and i can sing, sortof...

• @cts  Feb 2019

Guys - I think it's more than evident. Pair up and collaborate!

• @netnoise Feb 2019

I can add some Stan Getz-ish sax if you're interested

• @leepat  Feb 2019

@netnoise you're the man, let's do this!

@leepat @netnoise If you guys are down, then I'm sure we can make something great!

• @bmoscovitz Feb 2019

I'm actually Brazilian if you guys want a bossa-nova-familiar ear to give you pointers, or sing, or you know, do Portuguese lyrics. I'm game!

@bmoscovitz Then what're we waiting for? Let's make something great!

• @splittybooms  Feb 2019

i wanna hear this!

• @netnoise Feb 2019

Okay, @vadellgabriel and @leepat , how do you want to start this? Can either of you lay down some bossa grooves?

• @sheamiejay  Feb 2019

I’ve been known to lay down a tasty Latin guitar solo now and again.

• @leepat  Feb 2019

@bmoscovitz @sheamiejay @netnoise
    this is shaping up to be quite the collaboration. We might actually need more than one track or set of lyrics here.
    I was going to propose rhythm guitar track and possibly lyrics.
    Portuguese lyrics would be nice too.
    I was thinking of asking @fearlessflight2014 to sing too, if she's available...
    but I'm getting ahead of myself.
    I believe @vadellgabriel offered to cook up some grooves?
    I'll post here again as soon as I have something ready, but don't let that stop you you already have something...

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 2019

I’d sing but I don’t know how good my Portuguese would be...

• @leepat  Feb 2019

@fearlessflight2014 haha Liz, no worries, it'd be better than mine (I only know onе word)

Admittedly, Bossa grooves would be my weakness, but I can definitely lay down some hip hop drums, and some bass.

• @nancyrost  Feb 2019

I'm up for adding some keys if wanted.

• @leepat  Feb 18

@fearlessflight2014 @netnoise @vadellgabriel @sheamiejay @bmoscovitz @nancyrost
    hi guys, i've the first one down today - guitar and vocals, though I should probably redo the vocals.
    second one coming up on Thursday or Friday, no lyrics yet.
    This one has English lyrics and is just the basic structure - if you want in, just say so.
    Turned out pretty gentle and traditional, so might not be fit for a hiphop collab, possibly for a remix...
    here are the tracks:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ospv4crctx...

• @netnoise Feb 20

I just ran through it a few times with my tenor sax. The tracks are here: https://app.box.com/s/222i7z89bqbk67m...
    I also included the stock bongo track I used to keep time.

I guess I should tag @fearlessflight2014, @vadellgabriel, @sheamiejay, @bmoscovitz, @nancyrost, and @leepat. Tag - you're it.

• @vadellgabriel Feb 20

@leepat @netnoise @fearlessflight2014 @sheamiejay @nancyrost I'm so, so sorry 😞 My laptop actually died a few days ago while I was working on my part of the collab, and my repairman told me it might not be fixed until after FAWM. 😞 I wanna do this collaboration, but I might not be able to put in my part until the first of March :< I'm sorry for letting you guys down.

• @netnoise Feb 20

Sorry to hear that, @vadellgabriel . I wish your laptop a speedy recovery. And you didn't let us down; you inspired us to create the pieces for a cool collab. Maybe you can assemble it after FAWM. You can put in a song placeholder and edit it in March.

• @leepat  Feb 20

@netnoise thanks for the tracks! I'll listen tomorrow.

@vadellgabriel yeah, sorry about that, but I'm with @netnoise on this one - not many of us start a thread that produces results and you made it happen! (i'm actually quite excited about this, if you can tell)
    It's true too that life doesn't end in February. We can always do something later.
    Anyway, thanks again for starting this

• @netnoise Feb 20

It might be fun to see how far you can take this using tools available on your phone.

• @paulharrison  Feb 21

Hello all. Interesting discussion here. I've only dabbled in Brazilian music but did post some music called, for now, "Brazil Tracks #1" or something like that on my FAWM page. The lead guitar part is temporary but I'd really like to hear someone's vocal take (and lyrics) if someone wants to collab on this. Or sax might be cool, too. I can send a version with just the rhythm part if you find you're coming up with something and the lead stuff is a distraction. Anyway, I'd love to hear if anyone is interested or just to get reactions.

• @vadellgabriel Feb 23

@leepat @netnoise We have a miracle on FAWM street! I borrowed to my brother's laptop today, and I've ported my DAW over. I have a very simplistic demo going, and I just need to add a bassline tonight. If we can get a piano loop in there somewhere, it'll be sounding great.

• @nancyrost  Feb 23

I'm in for piano, will put this in the queue! Edit - okay, next year. 😀

• @leepat  Feb 23

@vadellgabriel - we posted a song already with bass and the rest (no piano) - https://fawm.org/songs/96858/ - are you working on the same one?
    sorry about that, I thought you'd be away for long, but I've got one more written (not recorded) or you could remix this I guess.
    Let me know how you feel about the whole affair.

• @itoarazi Feb 23

I've dabbled in bossa nova, definitely! Love Getz, Gilberto, Jobim, etc.

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 23

I did a Latin thing for a mid-week skirmish, though it’s probably closer to samba than bossa. https://fawm.org/songs/96086/

• @vadellgabriel Feb 24

@leepat It's all good. I'm glad you guys did something with it, and got it sounding good! I guess I'll just have to wait until next FAWM to jam with you guys.

• @leepat  Feb 24

@vadellgabriel yes, let's make it happen, next year or before. thanks again for starting this!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...