Try to pick your comment rate up!

Skip to the bottom

• @timfatchen  Feb 9

I get the feel that comments aren't quite at the rate of the last few FAWMs. That's on discovering 100 zongs looking at me at moment ago...

Yes I know it's the weekend and everyone's desperate to catch up/keep on target/get ahead with actual writing, but hey, take some time off to listen (or read) and comment. Not "leave till later", or "I'll wait till the end". Two important things:

FIRST AND FOREMOST: A comment is an encourager, and it's best given now, in real time, when it can encourage folks to keep going and affirm that someone, somewhere, has listened and cares enough to have commented. It means a huge amount to new folk, especially, without an existing support network.

SECOND (not so critical) The site resembles a mausoleum after March 5, with only a few diehards still around, Odds on if you DO comment post-FAWM, then the recipient is unlikely to see it anyway. What a waste.

Now, if you've had time to read this you've had time to listen and comment on one song, right? Hmmmm.

• @petemurphy  Feb 9

I agree.

Call me a hypocrite, as I've currently only given 50 comments, but I'm planning to up that figure (considerably, I hope) over the weekend.
    I don't know how the centurions who give 1000+ contents do it! I tip my hat to them.

It's stated on my profile, but I'll also say it here...
    I don't rely on comments to encourage me or keep me motivated, so if one of my songs happens to pop up when you press the 'play random song' button, please feel free to skip it and find a FAWMer who does rely on comments. There are so many great writers here who can be pushed to even greater things with just a few encouraging words.

I will try to do better with my commenting rate. I do have a list of songs in the notes app on my phone that I've already listened to, and will comment on soon.

• @chipwithrow  Feb 9

Agree - the community to me is just about as important as the music I make.
    Of course, I've been here 12 years and I know I can easily crank out 14 pretty-good songs. I get that those who are newer might think they will get their 14 first and then start commenting. But my guess is it seldom works out that way.
    I too don't need many comments to keep me going - but I like getting them! And I like giving, too. Keeps my former-music-reviewer skills somewhat sharp (but I always leave positive comments here!).
    I feel like I'm plugging along at my usual pace, working my way toward 300+ comments given by the end. Not as many as others, but I do try to make each comment a good one and I do try to reciprocate all comments I receive.

• @edwardsmusic Feb 9

I'm going to attempt to comment on 100-200 songs during the challenge. I definitely learned my lesson from last year, where I expressed frustration due to commenting on 200 songs well after the challenge had ended, and not receiving anything in return.

• @mikeskliar  Feb 9

Great thread, great thoughts! And yes, listen and comment throughout the challenge -frequently that process will inspire your own songwriting an unexpected and interesting ways

• @themiller  Feb 9

I don't have a huge amount of time this year (teacher at exam run-up) but I just try to stick to a simple rule: I try to keep my comments on others people's songs double what I have received. That and I always seek to bust Zongs, rather than just turning to my favourite artists.

• @bootlegger Feb 9

I am somewhat disappointed in myself this year for my rate of comments. But luckily there is plenty of time left to make up ground. Looking to get a lot more in during the week (while I'm supposed to be working).

• @ustaknow Feb 9

Hey @timfatchen - I was just having this discussion with @billwhite51 who is a *prolific comment-er-er...

Something I noticed that may affect/effect this is the Skirmishes... day one here, anecdotally speaking, -- it was like a ghost town ๐Ÿ˜ so to speak, but then saw the skirmish and knew, all were busy with that, and then the obligatory commenting and commenting back and thank you's and etc., I don't do them. Separately, too, - I'm not in with the "cool kids" ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€ or any echo chambers here of conformity. - Free spirit rebel musician ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'll speak to anyone, well, until I realize, "ohhh..." different agendas and all, I guess? That's life with big boy pants on ๐Ÿ˜ even at fawm.

Also, I learned, generally speaking, don't post a song late Friday Afternoon... it may sit 'till Monday morning, or Tuesday even, since Monday folks are posting their stuff from the weekend, and likely back at their day job (?). No hard stats on that, --just anecdotal observation.

And, since there seem to be some "confessions" above, this year I decided to wait and see, - how comments come to me are affected ("you first" ๐Ÿ˜€ ) since prefer more than a "just love, love, love your work" with no content, or polite "back at yah" comment, --- I have always encouraged "more" since e.g., I actually have put up what I thought was "krappe", but could not delete it ("something there, but can't finger it")... and vwah lah. someone explained why my "krappe" was not full on delete worthy, - very helpful! Esp. from an experienced Musician.

So, there's data mining to be had in this ๐Ÿ˜€ if you want many comments, you can get them if that's what you want, the brain chemistry shot, or other.

- Great thread to consider, authentically

• @billwhite51 Feb 9

i can write songs anytime, get feedback any time, but it is only during fawm and 50 90 that i can hear such a wealth of unpublished songs, so i listen to as much as i can and comment only when i have something to say. im not a comment counter per se, but i want to hear and be heard in this community of peers as much a possible during this brief. month,

• @petemurphy  Feb 9

@ustaknow - I loved your song with the "Oh krappe" line. Really interesting and original, with the backwards stuff and the 'kinda free form' but also 'kinda structured' vibe. I need to get to more of your stuff. I really enjoyed that song.

• @rainchaser  Feb 9

I want to leave genuine comments. I don't want to comment on every song I listened or read. I'm not sure how centurions are commenting but they don't seem very genuine to me.

• @fuzzy  Feb 9

I'm unclear, @rainchaser; are you saying that you think people who have given more than a hundred comments are not providing "genuine" comments?
    I'm up over a hundred given and every single one has been well thought out, personalized and sincere.
    I put a lot of time and energy in to commenting on all the fabulous music available during FAWM and 50/90.

• @dragondreams  Feb 9

@rainchaser - I have to politely disagree with you. I hit over a hundred without realising it. And I assure you, EVERY comment I leave is genuine and sincere. If I have nothing positive to say, I simply don't comment because that is the nature of FAWM.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 9

What @dragondreams said.

• @wacha  Feb 9

@rainchaser - Some folks have more free time to comment than others. Last year I was able to give several hundred comments, each one I had listened carefully (sometimes more than once) to each song. I had a job with a lot of free time and no supervision. Is every comment I give a deep critique of the song, no, but they are genuine.

• @rainchaser  Feb 9

I apologize to everyone I didn't mean to offend you. I was jealous of some who find that amount of time to comment. But yeah, it was true, I initially believed they weren't all genuine. But I'm glad I was all wrong about it.

• @dragondreams  Feb 9

@rainchaser - no offense taken on my part, but thank you for the gracious and timely response. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Ž

• @zecoop  Feb 9

I make a point to make every single comment a meaningful one, or I don't comment. I am not offended if people leave short comments, though. I'm here to make music first and foremost, and hearing all the amazing music and letting the authors know is the bonus of FAWM for me. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @chipwithrow  Feb 9

A commitment I'm making here and now - today or tomorrow, I'm going to comment on a song by everyone who has posted here so far, even if I've already left one for you.
    I try to have the Bhagavad Gita approach to songwriting - it's my dharma/purpose, so I'll do it whether I get the reward of comments or not.
    But it's cool to get the juice of people listening!

• @metalfoot  Feb 9

I use FAWM as a radio of sorts at work and I'm capable enough at multitasking that I leave brief comments after every song I listen to--- this means not all comments are indepth, sadly, but I try to write more than "ZONG BUSTED!" I usually try to pick one thing (at least) of the song that was noteworthy to me. I'm one of those dreaded 1000+ commentors, typically, and that's how I can do it.

• @nikke88  Feb 9

For me the problem with commenting is the fact, that English isn't my first language. I'm not that good, when it comes to expressing myself in English. I would like to give more comments, but it's not easy for me to write something besides "good job" and generic stuff like that.

I always try to give a meaningful comment, but sometimes my self criticism stops me of sending it. Bit funny, that I can post my songs on this site without a hint of self criticism, but can't post comments on songs.

• @quork  Feb 9

8 comments a day seems like a reasonable target for me. That will probably mean listening to 12 songs, say 15 minutes of listening and commenting 3 times a day. Iโ€™m pretty close to that pace 75 comments so far). Iโ€™m also going out of my way to listen to FAWMling songs.

• @cblack  Feb 9

I go back and forth. Days 1-3, I commented a lot. Then got a little burnt out, so took some time away from commenting. Then another couple of days of lots of commenting. Like that.

The way I'm approaching it is that making songs is my top priority, but commenting is number 2 and fits in where appropriate. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @fuzzy  Feb 9

@nikke88; don't worry, I'm sure any comment you give would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be perfect.
    And your English seems pretty good to me! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @timfatchen  Feb 9

Re-emphasising a point made in specific terms by @wacha and @metalfoot. Bear in mind circumstances differ. My original post to up-the-rate was "rate", not the same as "number". While I have the time and no unmanageable day-job pressures, I can listen a lot and write a lot and comment a lot. If I were strapped for time--family, job, sickness, middle of nowhere--there'd be (and has been in the past) a lot less.

There have been years I tweaked dayjobs to FAWM almost full time, and yes, got into that stratospheric 1000+ bracket (about 3/4s of what I listened to). This year, I'm sort of "always here" for about half, and totally vanished the rest--even off the internet. And won't be stratospheric. So what? It's not a performance evaluation test!

Think of it as a "paying forward", perhaps?

• @elliottlawrence Feb 9

I find listening and commenting on other people's songs to be a humbling experience. There's so much talent on this site, I think it's important to appreciate it as much as possible during this short month.

• @headfirstonly  Feb 9

The rule of thumb that I adopted many years ago is to aim to make more comments than you receive. I realised early on that the effort you put into listening to other people's stuff results in just as much learning and creative growth as the work you do on your own songs. It's important to remember that.

• @majordanby  Feb 9

Itโ€™s a fine balance with life, work, writing songs and listening/commenting. I try and do 10 a day if I can. 280 for the month seems like a good achievable goal

• @coolparadiso  Feb 10

Im travelling and at times my commenting is less frequent but to be honest - i listen and comment about like @metalfoot says using it as my music fix -alternate radio. I hear many cool songs everytime i listen its a pleasure! sure its also about community but its good as well! I always try and make comments thoughtfully some times thoughtfully is just i really enjoyed it - but much more if possible.

• @judypie  Feb 10

I am really pleased to have had more listens early on this year ๐Ÿ˜€ It makes Fawm all the more worthwhile. Iโ€™ve had no more spare time than normal, I just havenโ€™t stressed over my own output as much, thus freeing up listening time!

• @jorh Feb 10

I do my best to comment, Iโ€™m quite busy in Feb but love hearing other songs for inspiration! Iโ€™ve heard some great things so far

• @jorh Feb 10

I do my best to comment, Iโ€™m quite busy in Feb but love hearing other songs for inspiration! Iโ€™ve heard some great things so far

• @edwardsmusic Feb 10

I'm setting a mini-challenge for myself; to comment on at least one song by whoever has posted in this thread.

• @haim  Feb 10

@timfatchen I agree with you totally. important post.

• @krayzie003  Feb 10

I'm on par this year to comment at least twice as much as I usually do.

• @boyatheart  Feb 10

Leaving comments is the fuel to keep the FAWM fires burning. Thanks for posting @timfatchen

• @airbagtester  Feb 10

Thanks for the reminder @timfatchen - I need to go bust more zongs and listen to new folks now that I have listened in on a good portion of people on my watchlist.

• @mikeb Feb 10

As a Fawmling, I'm trying to comment on as many songs as I can, and hope that a simple quick comment is better than nothing sometimes! With over 3000 song posted in 10 days it becomes a bit overwhelming. And it doesn't help when I see some people posting multiple songs one after the other after the other.

• @eargoggle  Feb 10

I'm trying to comment but now the player won't play for me...anyone else having this problem? Soundcloud links work but not the songs hosted on the site, which is most people, it seems

• @nikke88  Feb 10

@fuzzy Now I have decided to lower my standards, when it comes to commenting. I still try to find something unique to describe my feelings about the song. Like example what thoughts it gave me, what I liked on it and so on.

And not to worry about is it perfect comment or not. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @audrey  Feb 10

@mikeb Try not to let the "3000 songs posted in 10 days" overwhelm you. I know most FAWMers have 14 songs as their goal each year, but not all of us do. I benefit soo much from FAWM, but I will probably never reach that goal ever, because I'm too slow, but I'm okay with that. I've been happy to write only 3 or 4 songs in past years. This year I'm shooting for 6, maybe 7. I never feel I've failed because my songwriting improves every year, and I love listening and commenting on others' songs. I have the time, so I'm doing a lot of it this year. I'm just saying, go for the 14 songs if you can, but don't sweat it if you can't. Give yourself some time to enjoy some of all the great new music on here, and happy FAWMing. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @nuerdetjuligen  Feb 11

Amen @audrey

• @aprilm  Feb 11

I am way behind this year. BUT I started a new job in the last week of January, have been living out of a suitcase since then until tomorrow when I move to my new place, and well, I just have not had the opportunity to participate the way I normally would - in songs written or comments given. Hoping the second half of February will be much more productive!

• @timfatchen  Feb 11

@eargoggle explanations in full here https://fawm.org/forums/topic/8969/ I had the same non-hearing issues.

• @cts  Feb 11

I'm working on it....

• @fourzeroes  Feb 11

I always feel like I've got nothing to add when I comment, and just going "thanks for FAWMing, buddy, keep it up" seems a bit pointless. I'll do it if the consensus is that that's worthwhile, though.

• @karlsburg25  Feb 11

Yes definitely . I am struggling a bit with my feed not popping up everyone on my watch list . But usually I devote a block of time just for listening and donโ€™t even think about writing . This way I can relax enjoy and comment on a pretty regular basis . Ok this year I a bit behind due to travelling about but again I say the most important thing about fawm is the amazing community . I look at it like a bunch of mates in a hall and theyโ€™ve all got songs to play and listen to and everyone bangs them out and gets the pleasure of producing their song and then gets the pleasure of listening and commenting on others .
    Big up to all the people over 200 already . I need more hammock / good WiFi for that .

• @karlsburg25  Feb 11

Yes definitely . I am struggling a bit with my feed not popping up everyone on my watch list . But usually I devote a block of time just for listening and donโ€™t even think about writing . This way I can relax enjoy and comment on a pretty regular basis . Ok this year I a bit behind due to travelling about but again I say the most important thing about fawm is the amazing community . I look at it like a bunch of mates in a hall and theyโ€™ve all got songs to play and listen to and everyone bangs them out and gets the pleasure of producing their song and then gets the pleasure of listening and commenting on others .
    Big up to all the people over 200 already . I need more hammock / good WiFi for that .

• @audrey  Feb 12

Yeah, my feed has been missing some songs from FAWMers on my watchlist too, but I can always find them on my watch list and go to their page to find their new songs, so it's not so bad. ๐Ÿ˜€ I'm really enjoying the songs I've hearing from all you guys. There's so much talent here in FAWM.

• @sbs2018 Feb 12

Math isnโ€™t my strong suit but it seems to me that 300 songs in 10 days isnโ€™t that many with over 2200 people signed up for FAWM this year. If everyone left one comment, each of those 300 songs would have multiple comments. Iโ€™ve left almost 100 comments so far. My pleasure listening to so much talent!

• @edwardsmusic Feb 12

I'm on 84 currently. So close to getting 100.

• @factorytale Feb 15

I gave a LOT of comments and I got some back. I think the interaction is the fun thing about this fawm thing. If there's no interaction what's the point. Why post your songs here. I don't need to be encouraged, cause I can write many songs on one day, and people don't have to praise and praise. But I do like feeling there's not just me on this site. And this year I feel that. Thanks!

• @torniojaws  Feb 15

At 91 currently ๐Ÿ˜€ Far ahead of last year, when I had something like 30 at this point (did end up with 150 I think).

• @tcelliott  Feb 15

Kind of funny... before this thread I had commented on over 100 songs *flex* but this past week was a struggle. (Mainly due to my schedule, it alternates week to week.) But I was able to spend more time commenting in the last day or two and have a three day weekend in which I can spend more time on/around Fawm.

@eargoggle - I think there have been a couple of issues. For me it was an add blocker for soundcloud and ghostery for the fawm hosted files. Both addons to chrome that were blocking song plays.

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 15

Thanks for the reminder @timfatchen , I've had a bad week with the muse, procrastination city. You would think if I'm avoiding the confronting task of creating I would at least be listening and commenting but I think listening to other people's songs when I felt incapable of finishing anything felt too painful. I always forget how inspiring it is to get out of your own head and into someone else's art. I will do better. I've never got to 300 comments before, maybe this year is the year.

• @zecoop  Feb 15

FAWM Victory!! My employer decided that the FAWM server should be officially blocked in the last year, so I was unable to listen to any songs from the server that many FAWMers use. I could still listen to Soundcloud, Dropbox, etc, so my comment rate is pretty good, but there were a ton of folks I love that I could not listen to at work, when I have the time to listen a ton at my desk.

I decided to put in an official request for review with the corporate computer folks and after a week of waiting, saw yesterday that they had reversed their stance and now I can listen to songs from files.fawmers!!! I'm wondering if they thought it was related to that dot com site that we won't mention here.

Anyway - I'm rejoicing in more wonderful music now and even more comments!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @ampersandman  Feb 15

Damn, I wanted to get to 100 today, but the new Motorpsycho record came out today, and itโ€™s brilliant.

• @nikke88  Feb 15

Tonight I have nothing to do, but some ๐Ÿท & ๐Ÿบ so I'm probably going to get my "comments given" -rate up from 60. Target is around 80 after this night and 100+ after this weekend.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...