Concept Albums

Skip to the bottom

• @bootlegger Feb 8

Okay let's hear them. Who's doing concept albums this year? What's the concept? Is there a story? How planned out is it? Did you do any research ahead of time? What's the deal?

I'll start. I'm doing a concept album entitled "How do we get out of this life alive?" It's a story revolving around 5 main characters. Their story will intertwine in some way. I think it's pretty cool so far. I have most of it written at this point I'm just trying to do full productions on all the songs so I only have the first three posted so far. I'm really excited about how it's going and I can't wait for the finished product because I think it'll be really cool.

Anyway, what have you all got? Show me the concept albums!

• @jackketch Feb 8

I didn't start out doing a concept album, but two of my songs are sea shanty ISH type songs about th Franklin expedition. All of them are narratives about weird things that happened in the past (although The Holy 29 is all fictional). I'm a history teacher so love weird old tales!

• @schlimminycricket Feb 8

I had no plans for a concept album, but then I wrote my whole second song expanding a character I mentioned in the first, so I guess now we're getting a whole album about Alabaster Frankenstein, rich jerk from the future

• @mkd  Feb 8

I’m doing a concept album exploring the experiences around dealing with death and dying. It’s come about from my work in real life moving into working in end of life care with music, so these songs are an exploration of potential, very real, responses. (They’re not necessarily miserable.)

They are examples of what I might write WITH a person at end of life, or their family, as a way of processing and dealing with what they’re facing, or as a legacy project, something to leave behind after they’re gone.

• @smileymn Feb 8

My concept is that I’m writing music/singing songs using all old text, poems, journal entries taken from a good friend of mine. The only “writing” I’m doing lyrically is leaving words or phrases out of her text, or repeating certain phrases. It’s interesting as I’ve always written my own lyrics in the past and this year I’m turning my friend’s words into songs.

• @edwardsmusic Feb 8

I'm writing a concept album about communication and friendship.
    Two of my songs from FAWM 2018 will be used here, since I feel as though those songs fit in with the 'dark' feel of this album.
    I believe the album will be a mixture of light and dark; some songs will be depressing, whilst others will be upbeat.

• @bootlegger Feb 8

@jackketch that sounds cool! I love historical story type songs. My brother is also a history teacher. That's totally up my alley.

@schlimminycricket great name and great prompt for a story. Can't wait to hear it!

@mkd that sounds like a very difficult but kind of rewarding job. It's definitely really important that someone be there for end of life care for people. That's a great concept. I'll definitely dig into that and see what you have going on.

@smileymn thats really cool. Is your friend still with us? If not I'm sorry to hear but that's a great way to remember someone. It reminds me a bit of when Ben Hibbard and Jay Farrar wrote an album using nothing but Jack Kerouac's words from his writing.

@edwardsmusic thats a really good idea to write about. I'm definitely intrigued.

• @bootlegger Feb 8

Any other concept albums floating around out there yet? I want to ingest all of them by the end of the month.

• @silvermachine  Feb 8

Yeah I started to do one about some sexual deviant. After all that's what respectable people love to watch on the telly and read about in books, so I thought I'd give 'em what they want. I sort of deviated with my last song, Oh does that make me a deviant? but I intend getting back on track immediately. Anyway the funny thing is people so far think it's funny. F**k me what do I have to do to be credible.

• @bootlegger Feb 8

@silvermachine im definitely checking that out. Sounds interesting.

I just uploaded the 4th song in my story concept album today.
    https://fawm.org/songs/92422/

• @timfatchen  Feb 9

My first attempt at FAWM was a concept instrumental album (Le Moulin du Bruel, dealing with an 18thC flour mill and its surrounds). It all hung together and after cleaning up became my second CD. Tracks are all on spotify, anyone wants to listen. My second FAWM I wrote and largely recorded the cabaret musical "Cassandra! The Global Warming Musical!" which came within an ace of professional production before being caught in arts community politics and then the poisoning of debate on global warming. Third FAWM, short of time, the Flying Tadpole "Holidays and Other Disasters" album sprang forth. But since then, too many mixed influences and no specific concepts, although much of the output has been properly produced and on CD, in albums that hang together but might actually stretch across anything up to 5 or 6 different FAWMs! So I can now think of FAWM as a "bank" for multiple future albums, without having a single concept in mind!

• @bootlegger Feb 9

@timfatchen i remember the cabaret album! That was fun stuff!

• @timfatchen  Feb 9

@bootlegger damn right! I'm thinking about exhuming it and updating now we're headed into the Little Ice Age! EDIT: actually I think that was the first time someone had tried to write a complete musical on FAWM! Worked, too!

• @suzimuzi Feb 9

Yeah, I headed into FAWM this year with a political concept album called 'Representation of the People'. With the political ineptitude in the UK at the moment I felt this was the right time to write about it... Unfortunately, preparing for a gig with my band has slowed me down but the gig is done now so I shall crack on...

• @howthenightcame Feb 9

Cool thread!! I'm writing a concept album on Borges' short story about Theseus and the Minotaur. It will incorporate elements of ancient Greek music, guitar and ambient soundscapes. I'm attempting to make a video for each song, too. More details here:

https://howthenightcame.wordpress.com...

Good luck everyone

• @mrmule Feb 9

I did not start making a conceptual albums, besides setting myself some experimental quests to embark on, but quite a few of those were made on very similar approach and instrumentation and evoked this imagery of screaming and twitching bodies slowly dying out in the mud after the reality around them has collapsed, so I made this spoken word/ avantnoise album out of it. Download comes with an illustrated PDF with the texts.

https://j-kill.bandcamp.com/album/fle...

• @bootlegger Feb 9

@suzimuzi thats definitely right up my alley. Can't wait to hear it!

@howthenightcame i have heard some of that album so far! Super cool idea. It reminds me a lot of the book House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski because the minataur is a big part of the stories within.

@mrmule that sounds really interesting. I'll definitely check that out when I get some more time.

• @bootlegger Feb 9

@mrmule Looking at your profile I would almost say your 14 songs in two days experiments with The "quests" is almost a concept in itself. Looks like some cool stuff to base songs off of.

• @mrmule Feb 9

@bootlegger well, more or less I think of music conceptually and never approach anything from "song" perspective but "album" or longer composition's perspective. So in that sense, yes! Mostly music to me is writing without the restraints of words. The thing is, usually the music carries so vivid visual imagery that I end up painting or drawing them, which again produces something written and it is an on going circle I guess.

• @woodhornhank Feb 12

I started to do concept album Starship Salvation,I started with just a name and style/genre and i let fawm challenges and news etc. to decide where the music and story goes.
    Or is that anti-concept album....don`t know...

One annoying thing;On soundcloud,last song shows up first

• @tawalker  Feb 12

Although not a “concept” in the strictest sense, I have a working title for the album (however much of it I can finish!) - “Cricket By Moonlight” - which may guide the mood/topic of at least some of its contents. (I’ll say no more about the title’s significance, except to give you three words to start from: “The Hopkins Manuscript”...)

• @acousticmaddie  Feb 12

I am I do the story of the ghost island Headless soldier bay (That I started during 50/90) And have released one single officially. But its the story of the captain and Amelia and well ghosts.

• @metalfoot  Feb 12

I don't know if you call it a 'concept' album but I'm writing at least 14 songs about elements of the periodic table this year and have as a goal to do the entire periodic table within the next year and a half or so. I'm tagging them #periodictable so they're easy to find.

• @edwardsmusic Feb 15

Okay. I have a question:
    If writing a concept album, does it matter what order you post the songs in?
    To put a bit of context behind this, I'm contemplating posting songs in the order that they were written in, rather than how they flow in terms of mood. In my opinion, it would seem rather out of place for a dark song to be placed immediately after a song that's very happy. I'm envisioning a gradual downward spiral of sorts, rather than abrupt mood/story changes between songs.
    Thoughts?

• @cblack  Feb 15

Not sure it'd be considered a concept album, but I've approached most of this FAWM's songs with the same meta-emotion. Like, each song is different emotionally, but all those different emotions are being understood through a mindset meta-emotion. If that makes sense?

This isn't really intentional. It's just how my mind works. So for my EP and album released so far, the same thing happened, and both of them wound up being strangely cohesive and concept-album-y retrospectively.

But like @edwardsmusic , I had to rearrange track orders to make the collection coherent. 😀

• @negasi Feb 15

I really want to collab with someone at some point in my life on a concept album, I've had a couple ideas faze out over the years, but it's definitely one goal I hope to acheive in life, as I always have a couple ideas for these things in the ol' dusty writing headspace 😀

• @ustaknow Feb 15

Great topic, glad to read through this all.

All year I happened to be, at that moment, drinking my first cup-o-coffee during the Morning news, and "writing", so to speak. So, it effected me and started to joke about my "Morning-mourning-news" 5 min writes. So, I put these "nuggets" aside and FAWM came. The first one here on FAWM was litterally me "soundchecking" and setting up krappe and as I do, - freely play and found Song 01 "here" in the list.

As I proceed I said, "wow, krappe" I have an apocalyptic theme and all in order, done as/when written flowed when I then listened to the Track-list. I remember about how "Jethro Tull" got tagged as concept album, - accidentally 😀 pending on how one defines that, - some are "Musicals" imo and concept, some just concept.

However, I had my Album Art done a month ahead and "high strung, no tension" to me signalled the theme of what I knew was coming.

So, aside from the FAWM Challenge, "chromatic", all followed what I saw as progressive news sound bites and apocalyptic, and documents one observation of this "Period".

For me, if I had not kept the order, well as I see/hear it, it would just be another "batch" of songs that came from heart felt soul reaction, as well as I can communicate that musically, for now 😝

The last song, to be posted soon, "The Pregnant Dove", was from Christmas morning, me as in the song, standing at my back door and what I saw, thought in that moment. So, it may get shortened, culled, but what I'd call a cohesive concept "album" and now have my liner Note for it roughed out "here" 😀

So, derUgo...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...