Finish ideas from before FAWM?

Skip to the bottom

• @vinniewhitehead Feb 6

I have lots of ideas for songs odd bits of lyrics. Some beats I've produced sat about doing nothing. Guitar riffs I've never used. Basically work I've started but never finished, I wouldn't call any of them songs just ideas.

Whats everyones thoughts on actually turning pre-FAWM beats, music, and lyrics or any other really early stage ideas into actual songs?

Or would you say they have to be completely from scratch?

As a side note I've been doing FAWM since 2013 and have always worked from scratch with new ideas but I've got so many ideas and bits FAWM could really give me the motivation to finish this year. While also trying to create new songs from scratch.

• @billysea  Feb 6

My opinion is that if you end up with a finished/completed song during FAWM it can count.

I usually have a list of song titles or hooks that come to me during Non-FAWM that I hit up as needed but have, on occasion,,had a completed chorus, or a verse that I flesh out into a song.

If somehow you think you've stretched out some rule here or there, just write an additional song Otherwise, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it 😀

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 6

You get to decide what your own rules are for what constitutes a win. Some people make up their 14 tracks from mainly instrumental overdubs.I’ve finished collabs from previous years, rewritten old songs that weren’t quite working and always start with a text file of ideas collected over years. I figure anything that ends up containing a large amount of new work undertaken during FAWM is ok for my page. Finishing songs is the hardest bit so if you finish anything I figure you should post it and celebrate it.

• @vinniewhitehead Feb 6

@fearlessflight2014 I think I'm gonna bend my own rules and have a look through my lyrics books, and go through my beats and production ideas this year then.

@billysea I've got a completed chorus my 3 year old daughter sang and I recorded I really want to write verses for and make into a song!

• @tcelliott  Feb 6

Here is the FAQ page link: https://fawm.org/help/

Here is a pertinent quote from that page:
    "If you have a lonesome hook or idea you've been wanting to work out for months, it's OK to finally structure a song around it for FAWM. Or, if you're planning a concept album it's OK to start doing research. Just don't take any old song and say you wrote it in February. "

• @saumera  Feb 6

I think FAWM is a great place to revive old, abandoned ideas, because what else is going to kick your butt into doing it? It feels entirely within the spirit of FAWM.

Some of my favorite songs I've ever written were started months or years before and abandoned because I hated them as they were, and they just needed that little push to get past that. Those ideas went from nearly being deleted to "my favorite thing I've ever done" in the span of an afternoon after sitting dormant for– sometimes– years. Imagine if I'd deleted them! To me, that's almost more FAWM-y than starting something from scratch, because that thing almost nearly didn't get to exist, but something like FAWM comes along and says "make stuff now do it!" and you have no choice and you end up with magic.

• @vinniewhitehead Feb 6

@saumera I absolutely love your thoughts on this! Nice one!

• @eargoggle  Feb 6

My attitude is that I use FAWM to force myself to do things I wouldn't have done otherwise. Mostly for me- I would say 90% or so of what I've done here over the years- that means new songs, new recordings, soup to nuts from the month of February. But I've also taken old ideas and even old half-finished recordings and made finished songs out of them. To me this is OK because I wouldn't have done that without FAWM and they'd still be sitting in my head or on a hard drive. I've never been sure what the actual 'rules' are, nor do I care too much, I'm having too much fun here...

• @skipscada  Feb 6

Snippets (of lyrics, melodies...) are definitely OK in my book. Salvaging a half-finished song that didn't get enough love ... not sure. I think I'm with saumera.

• @sunnymae  Feb 6

I'm so glad you brought this up. I feel like I've been leaving a trail of Unfinished work these last bunch of years. So I did make a decision to be open to new stuff and to bring up a few pieces that I really liked from before that I would feel so good about finishing. That being said I'm trusting my instincts to sense know if I'm pushing to finish something older when there's something new waiting to come through. That is between you and your Muses. So I'm sure to tune in and see who's there. Something old something new something borrowed something blue. 😮)

• @frenchcricket  Feb 6

I had a few drum beats and other bits and bobs that I had sort of started but not finished. Reckon it was fine to use these. I've been here 11 years and nobody has pulled me up on it

• @rainchaser  Feb 6

Do whatever floats your boat, but I think the point of FAWM is to write a new song that you haven't in a long time because of writer's block. This challenge is supposed to inspired you to keep on writing so after FAWM ends, not only you'll go back to finishing your unfinished songs, but you'll also go back to writing in general.

• @lvgd09  Feb 6

I use the same tired chord progressions I used years ago. It's almost like writing the same song with different lyrics. If I had ideas sitting around that I wanted to use I would use them. Just like my guitars sitting around. Either I use it or I don't. That said, my guitar gets a lot more action during FAWM. Do you understand? Yes, I would use ideas that are not finished. It works the other way too. I just deleted two of my songs that I don't want to use in FAWM anymore. I can do that because I'm not worried about reaching 14 songs. Oh, and I went to look at them to add music and just said to myself I don't like this song and simply delete it and it's gone. I still save my songs so if I change my mind I still have them, as ideas.

• @vinniewhitehead Feb 6

@rainchaser your bang on I’ve had writers block for over a year! Last FAWM I didn’t write a song, so far I’ve wrote two from scratch and one using a bass patch I’d created months ago, which was only a cool sound I’d never used.

I’m hoping to write new stuff from scratch but I’m sat on a lot of ideas in case I have an off day or two.

My creative juices are flowing though and hopefully they will continue long after FAWM like you say. Maybe then I can also visit my old ideas with fresh inspiration.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...