Questions about Collabs

Skip to the bottom

• @zedisdead Feb 6

Hello everyone ,
    I've a small question about collabs. I'm a composer looking for lyrics. I was wondering if it needed a special permission from the author to be able to post a song in the discussion collabs. Or just credit the text .....
    Thank you in advance for your answers
    Zed

• @julesbf Feb 6

Get permission from the author, some writers only want 1 person doing the music as they don't wish to have multiple versions of the same song. Other people do want multiple versions. Some people just haven't got round to writing the music yet and do not want other people using their words. Copyright ownership is a whole different ball game so always check with the author first would be my advice.

• @billysea  Feb 6

In most cases you should get permission from the lyricist before putting their song to music. The only exceptions would be if they clearly state in their bio or on the lyric liner notes that the words are open to anyone (and even then I'd ask permission but that is just me).

• @zedisdead Feb 6

Thank you for your answers .... I suspected it

• @mikeb Feb 6

Even if the person states that they are open to anyone doing it, I would ask permission to post the full song before doing so - the lyricist may want to listen/approve it first.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

If you don't communicate with the lyric writer, ...and just take their lyric, it can be like stealing, and very insulting and hurtful to the writer. Also, you should communicate your intentions for the finished song. If you will be monetizing it on your youtube channel or other sales sites. You definitely need their permission and information to split that income. Communication is the key to a good collab.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...