for women (feminism)

Skip to the bottom

• @factorytale Feb 5

would any of you women in here be interested in making modern feministic songs, with todays issues on that theme?
    What are the themes for you? Would be interesting to have some different countries points of view on this.

• @tootoobee  Feb 5

Me, I guess. 😀 Lot's of themes, like things not having changed much in the last 20/30 years (last generation so to say). At work, in society, even in music.
    (It's different here but) I think girl on guitar/bass/drums is still the exception and there're lot's of strange guitar jokes floating on facebook...
    All get's worse as soon as kids are there here. (most) women working part-time, (but no matter how much they work) being responsible for the kids, ...
    Aah, getting too frustrating now 😞

• @factorytale Feb 5

We could make a title and take this as a challenge to write the song eg called "being female". Maybe we have different approaches to that depending on who we are and where we come from. @tootoobee

• @wacha  Feb 5

I'd be down to give something like this a try.

• @gbg2016  Feb 5

I'm in. The anti-syn challenge song I am working on now is going in that direction already!

• @factorytale Feb 5

Yesh great let's do it 🙂 what do you girls think of the title I suggested? @wacha @tootoobee @gbg2016

• @factorytale Feb 5

And let's post a link for the song here in order for us to hear all the beautiful results of this challenge 🙂

• @factorytale Feb 6

<3

• @calumcarlyle  Feb 6

Sorry to butt in (i'm male), but this is an excellent idea and i just wanted to say that. Also, i'd love to hear all these songs, and i hope it isn't too presumptuous of me to say it would be great to hear songs not just about "being female" but also just from the point of view of being female. Sorry if that is what you were already talking about, i just felt it would be a shame if this output were overcategorised as being female or feminist. Personally i feel the output in music is not just overwhelmingly male, but it also assumes that the perspective of males is the norm, and that a female perspective is a departure, but i'd love to see more material where the female perspective is the norm, and not something special or unusual, if you see what i mean.

• @tootoobee  Feb 6

I'm in, just not sure if I can use the proposed title, cause I don't have problems with being female, just problems with society's reaction to me and my alleged "female role" 😀

• @factorytale Feb 6

Just make your own title! 🙂

• @robynmackenzie  Feb 7

@calumcarlyle I love your point about male perspective as the norm, because that is really very often the case. Even in mainstream pop culture, a lot of female storylines tend to revolve around men and relationships.Which isn't a bad thing--relationships with men happen and it's totally cool to write songs about it! But there's not an equal emphasis around female perspectives that don't revolve around men. I do feel like that's starting to change a bit, but it's still really prevalent. And there's absolutely this attitude that female perspectives are *special* and *only* other women will be able to relate, whereas the male perspective is presented as fairly universal.

Also I'm totally working on a super feminist song right now.

• @factorytale Feb 7

@calumcarlyle @robynmackenzie i was just interested in knowing how other women in different countries feel at the moment, to see if we experience it differently. I expect different stories being told, and it is interesting to see if there are any smilarities. Feel free to write about how you experience women from a male perspective.

• @skylermf  Feb 8

Hi! Not from another country, but I’m kind of a youngster here on FAWM so maybe I have a slightly different perspective on this? Either way I think this is a cool challenge and I haven’t really explored gender at all in my music yet. Mind if I join? I’m excited to hear the songs that come out of this!

• @skylermf  Feb 8

Oh I actually am from another country! I just checked your profile @factorytale. Typical American assuming everyone is from America lol

• @factorytale Feb 9

@skylermf Please join

• @glasscrow Feb 9

My planned second album is already very feministy. I'm worried I'm going to make a lot of fans angry if I acquire enough by then, lol. I don't know if I have it in me to put all that rage into FAWM, too! But I'm here to support you all in this challenge.

• @suzimuzi Feb 9

I'm in. Although FAWM is going a bit slow for me at the moment - been rehearsing for a gig we did last night so at least that's out of the way now! I've written Riot Girl type songs in the past so an update on 'Being Women' now might be quite interesting... I'll have a go!

• @calumcarlyle  Feb 9

@factorytale, well again because the male perspective is usually taken as the norm, i probably have already written many songs about women from a male perspective, so i needn't write another. TBH i just wanted to say well done on opening this songwriting prompt and i look forward to hearing the outcome, even considering that being female and being feminist aren't identical, though they have a strong crossover, i hope!

(and really sorry for butting in again, seriously i feel like i am mansplaining feminism to women ffs!)

• @colgoo  Feb 9

Almost everything I write touches on feminism in some way. I am also drawn to collaboration with people if any of you has a lyric with which you want my pared down approach.....we also must be careful, as white feminism historically has hurt communities of color. With intersectional issues, we must be aware that frustrations for white women are a drop in the bucket compared to other marginalized voices!

• @factorytale Feb 10

@colgoo I don't agree. I've experienced a lot of the same shit as ethnic women. Denmark is a very difficult place to be a woman these days!

• @factorytale Feb 10

@calumcarlyle you don't have to expkain anything, and I don't really know what you mean when you say the male perspective is the norm? In music? I don't see that. It seems to me men in music write about sex and women about love. But the problem is it's much easier for men to be heard, because there is a majority of men in the music lindusrty especially in Denmark. It's really difficult to get a musical career. You have to make low quality music that speaks to the simple masses. And so on...

• @factorytale Feb 10

Explain

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 10

i reckon this one i did counts 😀 https://fawm.org/songs/91977/

• @colgoo  Feb 10

@factorytale I am not saying white women are not discriminated against. But, before you challenge my statement, perhaps you should talk to your female friends of color in Denmark and ask about their experiences.

At least, in the U.S., racism adds extra hurdles for women of color...hurdles that many white feminists have inadvertently created because they’ve not checked their privilege.

• @haim  Feb 10

@factorytale I think that "low quality music" is happening not only in Denmark. And I think it's wrong to say that the majority of the industry is men so it's hard to succeed, I really got to believe that in this life if you have a power to do things it doesn't matter if you are black or white, man or woman, Georgian (like me) or American etc... I used to think that people don't like me and I can't be successful because of where my parents are coming from, and well, in some cases it was true, but what I didn't took from my parents are their point of view of how we as Georgians in Israel are discriminated, they felt that but times have changed since then, the world is free now. With free market and the freedom of speech, I can see how wrong I was when I thought that I am discriminated. When I put myself in a discriminated place, I did wrong to myself.

I respond to this specific comment of yours because I don't think girls in Denmark or anywhere in the world should be discouraged and say "because men control the music industry here, I'll just give up on my music dream", they should be encouraged instead! Doesn't matter if you are man or woman, you got same chance, I believe in free will. When you truly want something, there will be no excuses. One of my favorite singers is LP, She is lesbian, and I can't imagine how hard mentally it was for her to break through everyone looks and prejudices, and look what she is now.

@calumcarlyle I don't agree with you, many songs I know are written from female perspective, and For me, English songs can be taking in any direction, because they use in many songs "you" instead of "he/she" and then boys can relate and girls can relate, I try to do that in my songs too sometimes. "The norm" is not from male perspective in my opinion. If the singer is girl, she normally sings from her perspective. If it's a boy, it's from his perspective, and sometimes girls song about men perspective and vice verca.

• @calumcarlyle  Feb 10

Well, i'm glad to hear that is your experience and perspective @haim, i kind of meant culturally, and i do see music, at least contemporary mainstream music, as a reflection of that but again, we do often see what we look for, perhaps.

@factorytale, yes, that's probably what i meant, men get heard more than women. I can't really weigh in on the race thing, but i have heard that it is much harder to be black plus gay, rather than just black or gay, so perhaps you also get more discrimination from being a woman plus black (or any non white, maybe) than just being a woman or non-white. It is probably different from culture to culture, country to country, town to town.

Incidentally i do have to take issue with the comment, made in passing, that men write about sex, and women about love. If i may say so that is the kind of idle sexism that divides men and women, rather than unites them behind the cause of equality within diversity (which i hope we all can share). Here in Edinburgh i know many songwriters, male and female who are much more likely to write about love than about sex, regardless of their sex, gender or orientation. If they write about sex, it is far more to do with the image they want to portray, and if i'm honest in my personal experience i know more women songwriters who are willing to tackle the subject of sex, certainly if we are talking about dealing with it in a serious way rather than a humorous way. But even me saying that could be seen as a casual generalisation, which is not my intention. Those one or two women songwriters i mentioned who do that are, to an extent, challenging the perceived norm by doing so, but i would say that the perceived norm and the actual norm may not be the same.

Anyway, i have written scores of songs about love and i think one song about sex, which was deliberately to be sensationalist, and honestly while the male songwriters do outnumber the women round here, the men usually are singing about love, not sex.

• @gbg2016  Feb 10

Well! Just caught up on this thread and there's a lot going on. Looking forward to hearing how this all plays out in your songs. Here's a middle-aged, middle-class, white lady lament for y'all: https://fawm.org/songs/92641/

• @skylermf  Feb 11

Just got done with mine! I tried to talk about both advantages and disadvantages I feel I have as a girl. https://fawm.org/songs/93231/

• @sbs2018 Feb 11

Just found this thread. We’ve come far but yet we haven’t come far enough. Music seems to be one of the last industries still holding onto the “good ol boy” network where women aren’t taken seriously and have to work twice as hard and be twice as good as men similar to the med school struggles my then SIL went through in the early ‘80s. And this isn’t just Nashville but LA, too. Will have to take a listen to your songs.

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 11

I’m also late to this thread but all these issues are real to me. I’ve been a full time accompanist on bass for more than twenty years but I still feel I have to constantly prove that I have a right to be considered a professional on par with anyone else. I fear however that being a subject I feel deeply about it would be hard to write about.

• @wacha  Feb 16

Here's mine - not really "feminist" I went with "being female in the zombie apocalypse - https://fawm.org/songs/94845/

• @marthie Feb 28

I did a whole album on issues “Psalms van n Huisvrou” it was inspired by the “Vagina monologues”. I stull do a lot of work in this field but I layer it with more popular music so the audience who needs to hear it is there. Not big audiences but a lot of tears and eye-opening happening

• @owl  Feb 28

I ended up writing a couple of very different songs about this this year...
    a folk song about catcalling
    https://fawm.org/songs/94803/

and a autobiographical riot grrrl song about trying to shop at a music store
    https://fawm.org/songs/95396/

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...