The 5% Nation of Casiotone

Skip to the bottom

• @scottlake Nov 15

I actually made quite a good pile of cash on these after a guy that collects 80’s stuff and has a pretty good band paid me over 1000% of what I paid for the CT-430. I threw in the Concertmate 660 as a good will measure.

• @beat  4 weeks

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4FdSs...

• @gubna 1 week

I have a CT-80. This was my first musical instrument!

• @declan  1 week

Anyone planning on writing songs that follow the Casiotone for the Painfully Alone rules -

“ Those limitations: Everything was to be written in the key of C, thereby rendering the black keys useless; songs were to begin and end with the vocals, because Ashworth considered anything before or after that superfluous; all music was to be created with battery-powered Casios, because, well, that was cool; and, finally, everything had to be totally glum.”

• @konemake 1 week

I have a few old Casios. I wish I had more of them.

• @timfatchen  1 week

And at the other end of the spectrum, my current workhorse is a Casio...but alas, it's a Privia, guess I bomb out. I could resurrect the Yamaha PSR310? No? Not even if I stuff it with D cells? No? oh well...

• @metalfoot  1 week

@timfatchen I have a Casio Celviano digital piano so yeah, a little too nice to be truly casiotone. But it does have the casiochords.

• @timfatchen  1 week

Ah @metalfoot . I should have known you'd bring a spark of hope into a sombre world/. The Privia has Casiochords too, if I can only penetrate the impenetrable chord buttons (made impenetrable no doubt in an attempt to save me from myself)

• @beat  6 days

@declan there’s a CZ-101 collecting dust in the basement. If I can power it up with new batteries I could go for a track.

• @zecoop  6 days

I'm a Casio-a-holic, and also a Yamaha PSS-a-holic. You'll be hearing quite a bit using those from me. That said, I often run them through loads of guitar pedals and render them pretty unrecognizable as those. 😀

• @spingo  6 days

I still have Yamaha lust, but haven't gotten there yet. I have three Casios in the other room and still can't really play keyboards.

I got the SA76 to have a nice mini one to grab.

• @konemake 6 days

@zecoop
    Great idea!
    I think I might also do something a bit different with the the Casiotone for the Painfully Alone rules, because now I only noticed that using effects is fine. Even if it wasn't I think I'll try do something funny with the included built-in patterns. Slice them into small loops + use guitar pedals on them. It's probably not going to sound one bit like the Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, but probably interesting anyway and it sounds like a funny way of making music. 😁
    Oh yeah I also have couple old Yamaha keyboards + one old Kawai, which is one of my favourites. (50% here just that Kawai, can't remember the model sorry https://soundcloud.com/melkoinen/pika... )

• @w1n  6 days

I have a couple of Casiotones and Yamaha PSS keyboards, have a couple of favorite sounds I overused for a period, but haven't used them in a while so I should probably give them a spin during FAWM.

• @marvsmooth 6 days

I have four different Casio keyboards!

• @marvsmooth 6 days

Just saw what @w1n posted - I have a Yamaha PS, but not sure of the number, and got mistaken because all of the keyboards are hidden away, so only have three Casio keyboards.

• @zecoop  6 days

Yamaha PSS bells/chimes @w1n - I overuse those every single year and will continue to do so, lol. Ditto for the PSS cello. 😁

• @scottlake 6 days

@beat you can convert the CZ-101 I to some cash. At least $100.

• @toms 5 days

What are some of the best recordings made with a Casiotone?

• @zecoop  5 days

@toms - anything by @lanasolyluna and @santadharma. I’ll put a few below that I’ve done. For famous ones? Da Da Da by Trio is one of the most famous.

One of my own favorites features the aforementioned Holly Lanasolyluna.
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/cal...

Most of this one was on Casio or Yamaha PSS, through many pedals. The ‘train sound’ is made by Casiotone drums through reverse reverb and a flanger.
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/ste...

• @gubna 5 days

I’m going to record my PT80 into my Eventide Space.

• @beat  5 days

@scottlake *] thx, but no. It works perfect, just plugged it into me system yesterday, powered with the adaptor. The only thing is that the batteries part don’t work no more. Guess that the copper or brass is oxidized, can see it on the opening side of the compartment but not on the other side. Who knows, with 23 days to go, I might still have time to clean the contacts...

• @beat  5 days

@zecoop am just, like every year, watching the Lauberhorn downhill race. This year though it is very special! I’ve got your tracks filling me ears rather then having to listen to them tv folks making stupid comments... thous two tracks are absolutely great. Streaming in revers is a great pumpin’ go for it and California crush is beautifully laid back. Luv Hollys vox. Thx for the music!

• @zecoop  5 days

@gubna - that should be epic... looks like an amazing pedal

• @sonicdeatheagle 4 days

OK, I'll see if I can make the CT-102 work.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...