What's your songwriting fetish?

Skip to the bottom

• @adnama17  Feb 3

We all have those weird little writing rituals, habits, nervous ticks, OCD love stories around how we write. Your coffee cup always has to face east... Your notebook must be blue and bought at the $1 Store the Wednesday after Jan 13th... You have a lucky pair of socks, chord, or guitar pick... You only shower on Thursdays in Feb... You all have them. I know you do. I've met you people! So lets here 'em. This is a safe place to be weird.

My song writing pencil, and it has to be a pencil!, MUST have snow on it in some way. And I must get my notebook from the $1 Store on Jan 31st. This year, they didn't have the notebook I normally get when I first went, nor could I find a snow pencil, so my FAWM was delayed by a day and a half while I moped around all depressed, until about 12:30 this afternoon when I got up and found the right notebook and a snow pencil.

• @psyt Feb 3

Copy/pasting my response from the chat:
    You know how EDM musicians tend to get into the trap of writing a lot of 8 bar loops, but no full songs? My songwriting fetish is that I allow myself to write however many of those I wish, but whenever I want to actually write a song, I use the earliest '8 bar loop' of mine that inspires me.
    That's been my methodology for the past couple of years. This year I added a self-disciplinary approach to it that's not dissimilar from what FAWM's all about. I wrote 12 songs in January, intend to write the full 14 during FAWM, and 10 each following month til July. I'll decide what's my output gonna be for the second half of the year then.

• @evinwolverton  Feb 3

- 6”x9” card stock
    - uniball vision elite pens
    - Nothing Rhymes With Orange rhyming dictionary
    - youtube soundscape of rain on repeat
    - walkin’ shoes

• @rainchaser  Feb 3

I would wash my hands before touching my guitar. I would tune my guitar before I play it. I use my green Tortex pick for my guitar. I would start off with just chords. I would write them down on a notebook.

Then I would record a snip of it on reaper then I would use my the BPM app on my phone to calculate the average BPM in my song. I would write the BPM on the notebook. I would then record the song and listen to see if anything needs to be removed. I would listen to the song and I will jot down any interesting lines to sing with my song.

• @moonraccoon  Feb 3

Google Drive. The continuous autosave function, and the perpetual records of previous versions, keeps me productive.

• @oddbod  Feb 3

lucky songwriting pants - never failed yet

• @mkd  Feb 3

One A4 sheet (standard printing paper size) per song, orientated landscape way, written on in pencil... I had to use scissors on my first song so I could record it with contorting my body in three different directions to read all the lyrics, and now I’m upset that it’s no longer a single piece of paper... hmmm...

• @circle Feb 3

I don't think I've recorded anything before 10pm in about two years

• @kanttila Feb 3

Uh, I print out tab paper and use whatever is around to write the guitar part out then I go ìn and record the song using instinct and feel for the other parts. I use whatever picks I find and often watch YouTube videos when I record so I have something to look at. Lyrics I write on my phone, on wordpad right after I record the track or a random notebook.

• @themiller  Feb 3

I always sit down and think I have nothing to write about... and then...

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 3

@adnama17 so glad you got the pencil and notebook!!!

I haven't identified any rituals yet... get back to you soon.

• @fuzzy  Feb 3

I always chant and sacrifice a goat to Cthulhu on February first, and then periodic blood rituals throughout the month.

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 3

tasty?

• @adnama17  Feb 4

Ya'll are a bunch of freaks! I love you all! The end.

• @metalfoot  Feb 4

The brown couch. It is where the music happens. It is where the music MUST happen.

• @tuneslayer2018  Feb 4

I like to have my banjo nearby when I write a song. The drawback it, I get funny looks when I'm writing stuff at work.

• @balancelost  Feb 4

If I'm stuck on lyrics I have a shower. Always works. I don't know if it's just Murphy's Law, that the moment I'm somewhere that notepads cannot go I think of something to write down. In fact, I'm stuck right now so I'm off...

• @butlertron Feb 4

Folder and song-naming format must stick to convention. Order is peace.

• @goldelion  Feb 4

I write in an old school copybook. I leave 2 pages blank after each song in case my re-writes get out of hand. I write in pencil, although I don't know why, because erasers never work, and I end up crossing things out anyway. Sharpened pencils make sharpened lyrics. (I just made that up, it's not really a thing.)

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 4

Eventually I HAVE to clean up my studio. After writing two or three songs, spreading instruments and cables everywhere, I eventually feel compelled to clean up a bit before I start a new song.

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 4

@stevenwesleyguiles perhaps you could feel compelled to clean up mine too? it's a bloody tip!!

• @paulhenry  Feb 4

@oddbod, photos. I want photos.

• @oddbod  Feb 4

@paulhenry You trying to get me banned from the forum?

• @nikke88  Feb 4

Simple: "Borrowing" from others. Usually it leads to something different than the original.

@sw1n3flu LOL! Yeah. Otherwise I'm too distracted. I need to post a photo of my studio AFTER writing 2-3 songs in a creative frenzy. 😀 Creativity can get messy.

• @xfloorpunchx Feb 4

Cold coffee and patieeence are the keys ! 😁

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 4

@stevenwesleyguiles look forward to seeing it!

• @jamkar  Feb 4

Lined theme book. Pencils. Pilot G-2 0.7 pens. Couches and beverages nearby.

• @steviez  Feb 4

HAVE TO have a fresh beverage. Hot fresh coffee, or tea.....or bourbon or gin. That makes sense (gotta keep lubricated). The stranger part involves giving my Tibetan Singing Bowl three taps with the mallet.....and then touching my framed picture of Rick Rubin.
    Then, and ONLY then, can I sit down and write properly.

• @quintonbarnes  Feb 4

Walking around in a repetitive manner while listening to the instrumental on repeat and thinking of how it makes me feel. That's pretty much my songwriting ritual. Need my book and favourite pens by me at all times in case inspiration strikes.

• @thelostcartographer  Feb 4

A plain brown card stock Field Notes notebook with graph paper inside, and a PaperMate Sharpwriter pencil. Anything else feels weird.

• @dragondreams  Feb 4

Peewee, my feline familiar, has to be in his chair and comfortable, just off to my left here in the studio, before I start. If he leaves part way through, that's fine. But the process can't begin without him. 😀 <3

• @faceofeinstein  Feb 4

The opposite of @stevenwesleyguiles

Makeshift studio must be a mess.
    If clean, take things out of drawers and off of shelves, and place around the room. Tangle cords thoroughly, being sure to mix xlr, 1/4", and headphone cables to ensure maximum frustration.

Notebook must be opened to random page to start, as I cannot commit to the initial lyrics just yet. Finding lyrics later also adding to maximum frustration.

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 4

Procrastination. Lots of desperate procrastination. When I set aside time to FAWM I spend more than half of that time cleaning or filing on my computer.

• @factorytale Feb 4

None. Except I try to look a bit clean before i record the video, but it's not always succesful 😁😁😁

@faceofeinstein Oh man!! My creativity DOES get messy, but it rarely STARTS messy on purpose. That's kinda cool actually. I may just need to break out and TRY to be messy at some point. 😀

• @faceofeinstein  Feb 4

@stevenwesleyguiles if you want to write some angsty, frustration riddled songs, I highly recommend it lol.

@faceofeinstein And for the record, I definitely don't believe that a perfectly clean studio is of utmost importance. In fact, I think many people use cleaning up their studio as an excuse NOT to get to the work of writing music. 😀

I just get to the point where I can't find stuff...

• @justgreg Feb 4

putting a reece bass into every tune and of running it through a dirty bass amp..never gets old

• @berni1954  Feb 5

I need to have a notebook and a torch (flashlight) beside my bed. The notebook must have broadly spaced lines (not that easy to find in Barcelona, where most notebooks are like what we used to use for sums back in school. Lines made up of tiny squares. I can't be doing with them! )

The torch is for writing down any ideas the muse gifts me betwixt sleep and awake without disturbing the sleeping dragon at my side. She's lovely when she is awake, but if she is asleep and is woken, then her fiery wrath is a sight to behold.

Other than that I think I have cured myself of all my old fetishes by simply writing great material in situations where I did not have access to them.

• @tcelliott  Feb 5

A mead five star, half sized, spiral bound notebook.
    A Pilot Precise V5 Extra Fine rolling ball felt tip pen.

Everything else is up for negotiation.

• @reisupstudio  Feb 5

I have to be in the shower it seems. So i keep a phone recorder close by!

• @tosm Feb 5

Used junk mail envelopes. Lyrics must be at least started if not completely written on them. The cellophane windows can be a bit awkward, but...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...