Reminder: please tag your song files

Skip to the bottom

• @mikedebenham  Feb 1

It's probably been mentioned before, but it bears repeating: if you're letting people download your demos, please include (at least) your artist name and song title in either the file name or the metadata tags. Preferably both.

Also, please allow your demos to be downloaded. A lot of us have patchy internet access during FAWM (Australian internet is made out of tin cans and string), so we tend to download demos in batches for later listening and commenting. It's not hugely helpful if your demo is called 'song4.mp3'. And streaming-only sites can stop a lot of people from hearing your music.

If you don't know about adding metadata to your songs, it's pretty simple. In Windows, for instance, just right-click on the mp3 and choose 'Properties', then 'Details'.

Thanks!

• @rustyp Feb 1

Hi @mikedebenham 
    What do you mean by "streaming-only sites?"
    I put my songs on SoundCloud and then put a link here on FAWM.org.
    Does that keep people from listening to my songs?

• @bootlegger Feb 1

You can enable downloading from soundcloud.

• @mikedebenham  Feb 1

Hi @rustyp . I believe that Soundcloud defaults to streaming-only, so as @bootlegger says, make sure you enable downloading.

I've had problems streaming Soundcloud demos during FAWM even on a good connection. so enabling downloads is handy for your listeners.

• @elesimo  Feb 1

I think the recommendation has been to name the MP3s as "$artist_$songtitle.mp3".

So if I make a song called "Hello, World!" I should name the file "Elesimo_Hello_World.mp3". At least that's how I've always done it.

I never added the info to the tags, will start doing it this year. Thanks!

• @ladycarolynhyde  Feb 1

@mikedebenhamheya thanks for the heads up! I will indeed make sure to make my demos downloadable 😉

• @jwhanberry  Feb 1

@elesimo I believe you are correct. That is the way I've done it. I also include metadata.

Not long now 'til we'll all be madly uploading! Yeah!!!

• @mikeb Feb 1

Is Metadata even included in Soundcloud files? They use their own conversion algorithm to convert to MP3 (always upload WAV, otherwise you suffer through two compression cylinders - yours to MP3, then theirs)

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 1

@mikeb Yeah. I upload .wavs.
    I think if people really really care, they'll tag or label the songs themselves.

I get it. It helps with organization, but honestly, if you' should probably just focus on listening to one song at a time.

Granted, I do NOT have the internet connection issues like @mikedebenham, so, I might sing a different tune if that were the case.

• @echovoodoo Feb 1

Good advice. Always make it easy for listeners to find you - they may download the song along with a bunch of others and only later decide they want to find more of your music.

• @miltz  Feb 1

Yep. Every year before this one I couldn't stream at home (I still had dial-up until I moved in June), had to download. And it was dismaying to get to a listening session and find a file named something like "song1.mp3" that had no metadata to help me figure out whose song 1 it was. And it was also dismaying to come across streaming-only songs, which meant I could hear them through the library's uncomfortable headphones or not at all.

• @mikedebenham  Feb 6

I think I should bump this reminder back up. I downloaded a batch of 30 songs a few days ago, and only 7 of them included the name of the artist. It's going to be a chore tracking them down.

Not to mention the songs I couldn't even download because the artist hadn't switched their soundcloud/bandcamp settings to allow downloads.

There are people here who want to listen to your music. Make it easy for them. It only takes a little effort.

• @cherok40  Feb 6

For people who really don't know how to make/write metadata about your song, I can recommend downloading the free program Audacity. Just open your song with Audacity and then export it (from the file menu) and it will ask you about metadata (songwriters name, tracks name, style, etc.)

• @candle  Feb 6

I have always filled out the entire ID3 tag for all of my MP3s, it's just part of my production process. The nice thing about ID3 tags is that there is so much more information (Copyright; Artist Website; Publisher; etc…) than the regular ID1 tags. I use WinAmp to fill this all out while I take a final listen before uploading the song to any site. Again, it's just part of my production process.

As for file naming conventions: I use Artist - Track # - Song Name - File Format (Including Bit Depth). As an example, here's my file name for my song Ming Tiger: Candle-02-MingTiger-320BitMP3.mp3

See You In The Shadows…

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 6

Good reminder, I really should get onto this!

• @timfatchen  Feb 6

Dammit. SOundcloud encodes the encoded? no wonder I'm having quality problems. Also I realised I hadn't enabled downloads.

• @scottlake  Feb 6

SoindCloud does take the shine off of id3 tagging. Maybe I will just put all that info in the title itself.

• @timfatchen  Feb 15

Again and again and again again again... PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME IN THE SONG FILENAME

• @larryw Feb 15

Not quite sure why anyone would want to make a rough demo on this site downloadable! Yes if it was a full demo to pitch, I get that, suddenly there will be copies of peoples songs everywhere where the artists/writers have no control over! And because it is a "rough" demo what if someone else puts it up somewhere!! (Yes I understand if it is tagged correctly) but if a non-finished rough demo gets to a publisher with your details on, they probably wouldn't want to listen to the polished demo!! Just my thoughts on it!

• @vomvorton  Feb 15

@larryw a lot of us aren't thinking about pitching or publishers. I'm writing songs for fun, and FAWM is likely to be the biggest audience they'll have - if anyone wants to download, share, remix, cover or sample any of them then that is 100% OK with me.

• @dreamscuba  Feb 15

Thanks for the information here. I have marked all my songs on Soundcloud to enable downloading. For all songs posted so far, the file name is the song title (as I have always done with FAWM). However, going forward from the information above, I will add artist name to the file name. I always add meta tags using iTunes on my MAC. Meta tags include artist name.

• @dreamscuba  Feb 15

That'll teach me to not read the whole thread. Now I see that Soundcloud strips the tags I carefully entered in iTunes (to my MP3 files)...I will address this for the songs posted and all future songs...Don't know how to do it with the current workflow unless I post songs somewhere other than Soundcloud....will figure it out I guess.

• @dasbinky  Feb 15

@larryw I make my songs downloadable so my friends can download them. I've got dozens of hours of my friends' FAWM tunes on my playlists... it'd be a bummer if people blocked downloading. (On the original topic, properly tagging them is a huge help.)

For 99.99% of FAWMers, worrying about publishers scraping FAWM for tracks to download, or people grabbing rough demos and passing them to publishers on your behalf, is a bit like worrying about shark attacks in a landlocked country: Sure it's possible, but not a huge concern. 😉

• @timfatchen  Feb 15

THe problem is not getting your songs stolen, but not having them heard at all, by anyone. That said, not all of mine are downloadable because some are intended for rapid commercial use, nto that that earns much money either. But generally, the download is there as a reward for anyone who bravely listens and likes it enough. The downloads disappear when the (edited, cleaned up) songs go on CD and into spotify and can be streamed or (shock!) bought. But in the meantime: I still have a lot of songs from FAWM2015 (e.g.) on moderate rotation. I don't remember everyone, it's nice though to be able to look and see the person's name or avatar in teh filename. "Ah yes, they were good. i remember now"

• @tcelliott  Feb 15

When I download songs I change the file name to ArtistName_SongName.filetype and put it in the Fawm19 folder. Then I'll add it to my library at the end of Fawm as a compilation. If there is no metadata then I still know who it is I'm listening to.

Sometimes the metadata will overwrite the file name before I can edit so CoolFawmHandle turns into someone's name and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out who it is.

As a result I suggest adding your fawm handle in the comment section of your metadata if it's different than your artist name on your file/in your metadata.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...