Acoustic Lofi Backwards Exquisite Corpse

Skip to the bottom

• @andygetch  Feb 1

I had this crazy idea last FAWM. As I recall @metalfoot @kahlo2013 and others joined in. I was again inspired by the other conventional Exquisite Corpse thread by @sph https://fawm.org/forums/topic/8812/ so why not do the backwards corpse again combined with simple lo-fi recording?

A variation on The Exquisite Corpse game (full explanation here) https://fawm.org/forums/topic/8869/ . In this backwards songwriting version, the first writer writes the last minute of the corpse, a one minute or so segment and sends the FIRST ten seconds to the next writer and the full one minute to the stitcher. Then the writer creates a one minute acoustic segment in a lofi recording that LEADS UP TO the previous writer's ten second segment. And so on until the last writer writes the first minute. By lo-fi I generally mean a one or two track relatively raw demo of a single vocal and a single acoustic instrument.

A stitcher is the person mixing each segment together into a song. I'm willing to start and stitch the first corpse and hopefully others can stitch a second or third. To keep things moving I suggest not more than five contributors to each corpse.

Who else would like to play?

Corpse 1
    Writer 1/Stitcher > @andygetch
    Writer 2 > @ballyhoot
    Writer 3 > @kahlo2013
    Writer 4 > @sph
    Writer 5 > @complexissimple

Corpse 2
    Writer 1/stitcher > @metalfoot
    Writer 2 > @robs
    Writer 3 > @nateger
    Writer 4 > @lowhum
    Writer 5 > TBD
    @andygetch as a backup

• @ballyhoot Feb 1

We did this during 50/90 I’m pretty sure. It was fun. I’m in! 😁

• @kahlo2013  Feb 1

I would love to play again!

• @metalfoot  Feb 1

I'm in!

• @sph  Feb 1

I'm in as well

• @complexissimple Feb 1

Sounds fun. I think I'd like to try it.

• @robs  Feb 1

Try a this give to like I.

• @andygetch  Feb 1

@robs you are in!

• @nateger  Feb 1

Sign me uppppppp

• @metalfoot  Feb 1

So Andy, to clarify; as Writer 1 in this one, I'm doing the END of the song, yes?

• @andygetch  Feb 1

@metalfoot yes!

• @andygetch  Feb 1

and no worries or hurries

• @metalfoot  Feb 1

I'll wait till there are a couple more in Corpse 2 ere I begin.

• @andygetch  Feb 2

First few seconds sent to @ballyhoot

• @ballyhoot Feb 2

Yep got it! Thanks! Will shoot to get this done over the weekend

• @ballyhoot Feb 4

Just FYI.... I finished a version of my bit but it was late and my son was sleeping in the next room, so I had to be kinda muted. It might work "as is" but need to listen to it tomorrow with fresh ears. Might have to re-do it if it sounds awful....

• @metalfoot  Feb 5

@andygetch I'm done my chunk but there's still only me and robs in the 2nd one; or is nateger joining us?

• @andygetch  Feb 5

thanks for the nudge, yes @robs is next and I have added @nateger. If no one else signs up or wants to ride again, then I will.

• @ballyhoot Feb 5

My bit is done and files have been sent!

• @lowhum Feb 5

If there is still place - put me in!

• @robs  Feb 5

I received @metalfoot's bit, I will start working on it this Thursday.

• @andygetch  Feb 5

@lowhum you are in Corpse 2! There is still one spot left. If more ask soon enough a Backwards Corpse 3 is a possibility!

• @robs  Feb 9

I've mailed my first 10 seconds to @nateger and posted them on his soundboard as well.

• @neonpaul Feb 10

If there's another one of these I'd like to give this a go!

• @ballyhoot Feb 11

@kahlo2013? Did you get the file I sent? If not , let me know so i can send it again (or send it the first time if i forgot ...πŸ˜€)

• @kahlo2013  Feb 11

Oh yes I did and sent my segment to the stitcher and the next in line the next day

• @kahlo2013  Feb 11

@sph just confirming you got the email I sent you with 10 sec... if you did not get it last week let me know!

• @declan Feb 11

Is the last slot in the 2nd corpse still available? If so I would be happy to fill that gap.

• @sph  Feb 11

Hi @kahlo2013 and all the others: I'm still alive but was caught by "this thing called life". Will do my two corpse tunes tonight.
    Sorry to let you wait so long.

• @gubna Feb 12

I don’t know what this is, but I want to hear it when finished.

• @robs  Feb 12

Acoustic Lofi Backwards Exquisite Corpse 2 Update: @nateger informed me he hasn't got the time to do his segment, so I've sent my first 10 seconds to @lowhum.

• @lowhum Feb 14

Hey, I did a part - anybody coming next? (before, I mean πŸ˜€) Tell me who you are so I can send you the vibes!

• @sph  Feb 14

Hi there, finally I got my segment for Corpse 1 ready. How do I send it to @complexissimple ?
    @andygetch my full contribution is on its way

• @ballyhoot Feb 14

@sph, you could just post a link here in this thread or on their Soundboard.

• @metalfoot  Feb 14

OK, so... umm... here's where it's at with Corpse 2:
    Unless there's someone that Lowhum is passing his 10s off to, I am ready to stitch it (3 pieces/mini corpse)

• @ballyhoot Feb 22

Hi, just bumping this thread. Are we still on track for getting Corpse #1 completed?

• @andygetch  Feb 23

yes @metalfoot please bump me and stitch #2! For #1 I have segments from @ballyhoot @kahlo2013 @sph . Just waiting on receiving @complexissimple. I will stitch with the four parts in place over the weekend and post on Monday. I can always edit in the last segment when I receive it so no worries either way @complexissimple. We are here to write and have fun!

• @metalfoot  Feb 24

@lowhum @robs Here's ours stitched up-- nice work!
    https://fawm.org/songs/97364/

• @metalfoot  Feb 26

And it looks like @andygetch has posted Reverse Corpse 1!
    https://fawm.org/songs/97903/

• @robs  7 weeks

@metalfoot and @lowhum thanks! Love the jazz intro, great idea! It was an interesting song-writing challenge to work backward, maybe another one this summer? Also, this lo-fi acoustic sound saves me a lot of headache πŸ˜€.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...