Fuming about Facebook Name Police!

Skip to the bottom

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 29

I have just been logged out of facebook because someone reported me for not using my real name. I have been Wobbie Wobbit on there since I signed up in about 2011 and been using this name for gigs and online since 2006. I am so cross. I know there are plenty of people who use their stage name/ professional name and have replied to their email asking them to let me keep it but they want passport type proof of id not gig posters. FUMING!!!!!! I want to be Wobbie!

• @zecoop  Jan 29

I think that happened to @downburst too. 😞

• @downburst  Jan 29

They took my downburst away a couple years ago. Not as drastic as your case, but very frustrating. I sympathize.

• @downburst  Jan 29

Ha, jinx

• @mikeb Jan 29

Yes, they have been doing this for new accounts for several years (ID requirement), so it doesn't surprise me that they are starting to shut down existing user names that are not 'legal' ones. I urge you to set up a 'band'/artist page under your performing name (no restrictions on that) right away if you use a non-legal name for your main account.

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 29

Panic over just got this email from them PHEW!
    That was more important to me than I realised it would be!
    Thanks for your patience. It looks like the name on your account follows our policies, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Since we've already reviewed your account, we shouldn't have to check in with you again about your name again unless you change it.

• @zecoop  Jan 29

@wobbiewobbit - Fight The Power!! Victory!!!! Stick it to 'da man'!

• @tootoobee  Jan 29

Glad you're back in! 😀

With this ID requirement, some time ago that popped up in my case as well. I got really mad (WTF does f***ing FB care) ... and I'd actually thought about faking an ID for FB. No way I'd show them any real ID.

• @petemurphy  Jan 29

I'm pretty sure that Salman Rushdie was once contacted by the Facebook police, because Salman Rushdie isn't his real name.

I don't know what the outcome of that was, but I'm glad you got back in.

• @standup  Jan 29

I'm a graphic designer, I could definitely photoshop an ID to match my "Standup" middle name on FB. I wonder if that would be unwise or illegal? They haven't challenged me yet.

• @sbs2018 Jan 29

I heard of priests being targeted, too, a few years back when I was on FB. They couldn’t be “Father John” or whatever. So happy to FB-free for 14 months now.

• @fuzzy  Jan 29

You mean Wobbie Wobbit isn't your real name?!?

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 29

@fuzzy it is like the velveteen rabbit - it has BECOME real! thanks everyone for your support, so glad i could keep being that part of me, i know it is only a name but i have store in it.

• @fuzzy  Jan 29

I get it; I've been "Fuzzy" for over 30 years. It has become part of my identity.

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 29

@fuzzy exactly that.

• @headfirstonly  Jan 29

Glad you got a good outcome. A friend of mine on Facebook went through a similar thing a few years back but FB flat-out refused to let him keep his stage name.

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 29

@headfirstonly wow phew i'm glad i was lucky then!

• @johnstaples  Jan 29

Wow @wobbiewobbit you got lucky and a one-hour response? Facebook locked me out for 3 weeks a couple of years ago and would never even tell me why!

Glad this worked out for you!

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 29

@johnstaples yep only half an hour response in fact, yep i am so glad i was lucky!

• @hornesgiftshop  Jan 29

My name isn't Horne's Gift Shop. I'm not a gift shop. Even the real Horne's Gift Shop isn't a gift shop, ever since it was converted into a pub. It's all a tissue of lies.

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 29

@hornesgiftshop Hahaha 😀

• @billysea  Jan 30

My understanding has always been that it has to be a name you go by, not necessarily your legal name. I've never had a problem with them, but my magazine subscription to SongWriter comes addressed to Billy Sea at my address.

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 30

@billysea - yep i get mail through the letterbox to wobbie wobbit... not least a 4-track cassette tape for FAWM 😀

• @frenchcricket  Jan 30

I know a few teacher friends and almost all of them use fake names so that they don’t get hassled. It’s ridiculous

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 30

@frenchcricket yep it is. there are lots of good reasons someone would use a different name. i have teacher friends, health and social workers and foster carers who all have to use diff names...many reasons why...mine is trivial in comparison yet still feels important to me for my sense of identity and who i am... i have signed a few petitions to fb about it over the years.

• @unpronounceable Jan 30

Grrr I’m so sorry. That’s bs.

• @hornesgiftshop  Jan 30

@wobbiewobbit Let us know if any more petitions come up and I'll gladly sign.

• @coolparadiso  Jan 30

Hmm. Do i have a real name?

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...