The intro and the outro...

Skip to the bottom

• @dragondreams  Jan 29

The idea for this came about during a thread involving the collection of motley ne'er do wells I mix with on the FAWM FaceBook group.
    I want to do something along the lines of the Bonzo's "The Intro and The Outro".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DUEA...
    So, to set the scene...
    I propose that I will be sitting alone, here in the practise studio in the very bowels of Castle Dragondreams, messing with a fairly simple riff. You, brave souls, just happen to decide to drop by with your instrument (or instruments), voice, whistle, hand-claps, armpit farts, etc, and join in.
    I'll post up the riff at the start of February. I'll let you know, key, chords, tempo, rhythm (but feel free to ignore all of the above).
    Join in. Send me your audio files as mp3, wav, or aiff, and I'll mix the lot into some sort of comic offering.
    More scene setting. I don't have a butler as such, just three almost housetrained (castletrained?) gargoyles with limited vocal skills. So feel free to include shouted (whispered, screamed) greetings as you come into the room. Also feel free to shout out random phrases and orders for drinks, comments about the decor, and so on. If possible, separate audio stems for different instruments if you supply more than one. Same for any vox.
    It may end up a total disaster - but we won't know iffen we don't try. 😁

• @sapient  Jan 29

This sounds like a lot of fun! 😁

• @silvermachine  Jan 29

Nice one mate, I'm up for that.
    I'm mortified to hear you don't have a butler at present.

• @headfirstonly  Jan 29

I'm in.

• @sph  Jan 29

me also

• @jamkar  Jan 29

I'm down.

• @dragondreams  Jan 29

Cool! Looks like it'll be a goer. Thanks guys.
    I plan to keep the window for entries open for the first three weeks, then mix down during the last week of FAWM, so there should be plenty of time for collecting the parts together.

• @sapient  Jan 29

This could get so wonderfully out of control 😎

• @roddy  Jan 29

Count me in for this.

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 29

I can put some noise in an mp3 and ship it over

• @declan Jan 29

Coolio

• @tootoobee  Jan 29

I'd love to give it a try πŸ˜€

• @judypie  Jan 29

Sounds hilarious πŸ˜€

• @dragondreams  Feb 2

Okay my lovelies. Me and the gargoyles got our heads together this morning and we've come up with a riff to jam this one over.
    It's at 90bpm.
    The chord sequence is all major (but "no thirds/power chords" will work nicely).
    And the sequence is E > D > E > C > D
    The count is E and D and E and C D
    The clip here is for you to jam over, and with it you get:
    4 bars drums
    16 bars bass and drums
    4 bars bass, drums, and basic guitar chord pattern
    4 bars bass, drums, slightly more rhythmic guitar chord pattern.
    I've cut the clip dead at the end to make it easier to loop.
    http://www.dragondreams.org.uk/FAWM20...

Do with it WHATEVER you like! Go round the loop as many times as you like too!
    Simply send me a separate stem for each instrument or voice or noise or telepathic message. Either send me a link to your file, or email it as an attachment to:
    jam@dragondreams.org.uk
    Try to avoid the temptation to post your link here. That way we can build the suspense until the final product is released.

Closing date is going to HAVE to be 21 February, simply to give me enough time to put it all together.

Thanks in advance!

• @spirulence Feb 4

I'm in. @dragondreams just emailed you a Dropbox link with my stems, I may do a second round later but better to get these in now, methinks!

• @spingo  Feb 4

Ha! I may have something.

• @dragondreams  Feb 4

@spirulence - got 'em, thank you. πŸ˜€

@spingo - go for it! πŸ˜‰

• @tcelliott  Feb 4

I intend to check this out when I get back to castle Pigsty

• @dragondreams  Feb 4

@tcelliott - that thought makes me giddy with anticipation! πŸ˜‰

• @dragondreams  Feb 7

Bumping this back up. So far I've got a set of brilliant stems from @spirulence - but no others.

Like @sapient said, this could get wonderfully out of control.
    Let's make sure that it does! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜Ž

Send me your bits!

• @sapient  Feb 7

I'm on it! πŸ˜ƒ

• @dragondreams  Feb 7

@sapient - I'm excited... and a little scared! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• @dragondreams  Feb 9

Bumping this again folks, coz I've been messing around with getting the scene set at my end. I still only have the one house guest - and me and @spirulence will eat all the canapes ourselves if the rest of you fail to show! πŸ˜‰

• @sapient  Feb 9

Giving this a bump - c'mon folks, the more the merrier!

@dragondreams - should have summat with you tonight or tomorrow... πŸ˜€

• @dragondreams  Feb 9

@sapient - thanks loads, sirrah. I'll line my inbox with asbestos just to be on the safe side.

• @sapient  Feb 9

@dragondreams - files on their way to you via WeTransfer. Let me know if you need more, or if you need the vocal track without effects? 😁

• @sapient  Feb 9

One of the lead guitars is a little, um, "different"... it's harmonics and dive bombs as I gradually switch on every pedal I have on the board, so it gets a little messy. Heh heh...

• @spikedirection  Feb 9

I'll cook up something for this on Monday

• @dragondreams  Feb 9

@sapient - gottem! Thank you. Not unpacked 'em yet but will let you kn ow. Really looking forward to it!

@spikedirection - brilliant! Thank you. πŸ˜€

• @rahkoi  Feb 9

Hi @dragondreams ! Think I'd like to join in on this. Will try send you something in couple of days. Soudns fun.

• @dragondreams  Feb 9

@rahkoi - My life will be complete if you do! πŸ˜€
    And it's great to see you back here!

• @dragondreams  Feb 10

@sapient!
    Peter - you damn near killed me! I choked so hard while laughing at the vox stem that my vision went dark!

It's PERFECT bud! 😁

• @sapient  Feb 10

@dragondreams - ha ha...I hoped you might like it 😁

• @dragondreams  Feb 11

I started pulling this together and trying to get a start on it. So far it has had me doubled over the keyboard trying to breathe. But, it needs MORE! C'mon peeps! Send me your craziness! Need instruments, and random greetings, shouts of appreciation, silly noises, bizarre comments, whatever you've got!

To set the scene a little clearer, it's a house (castle) party and you've come along to jam, or listen and heckle, or do both. There's a bit of a steampunk vibe already developing too. But don't let that deter you. πŸ˜‰

• @adforperu  Feb 11

Oh gosh, I might have to come to the party!

• @sapient  Feb 11

Do it, @adforperu ,do it!!! πŸ˜ƒ

• @izaakalexander  Feb 11

You need cello. And maybe a brass fanfare. I'll get back to you soon!

• @dragondreams  Feb 11

@izaakalexander Yes!!! Please!!! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ€˜

• @calumcarlyle  Feb 11

Wow! Great concept! @dragondreams , i intend to send you more than one instrument to choose from, is that okay? I am thinking perhaps melodica, mandolin and harmonica, if that suits you?

• @kahlo2013  Feb 11

Okay count me in!!!

• @metalfoot  Feb 11

Ah yes... I remember you mentioning this. Will jump into the fray hopefully this week!

• @dragondreams  Feb 12

@kahlo2013 - brilliant!
    @calumcarlyle - as many and as various as you like, Calum. 😊
    @metalfoot - I'm counting on you and the footlings to come up with something, Alex! πŸ˜‰

• @dragondreams  Feb 19

Bumping this for one last time!
    Because of my own commitments, I'm planning to start work on this no later than Thursday 21 Feb. So if you have something you want to include, please let me have a link to your files by then.
    Email address for links, or zipped files, is:
    jam(at)dragondreams(dot)org(dot)uk
    Please use that email address rather than the one linked to my account, just so things are kept orderly at my end. πŸ˜€

• @adforperu  Feb 19

Oh no, I'd forgotten - I'll try and do something tonight or tomorrow, but please don't wait around for me @dragondreams

• @jamkar  Feb 19

Starting tonight. (And into tommorow.)

• @jamkar  Feb 19

Starting tonight. (And into tomorrow.)

• @calumcarlyle  Feb 19

urg, i haven't had a chance to get to this yet... I'll see if i can fit it in...

• @rahkoi  Feb 20

I have done things and mailed them over. Hopefully in the spirit of what was planned.

• @carleybaer  Feb 21

I just sent you some things! No idea if any of it's useful but I'm super stoked for the end result.

• @jamkar  Feb 21

Assorted snorts and honks are on their way to you.

• @dreamscuba  Feb 21

Sorry I missed this one....work is relentless in the week days and I only get weekends to pick up an axe (of course, on work days i would love to pick an axe, but a really sharp one with barbs on it....soundscape for this to be provided by @silvermachine )..... If there is any chance to add something on Saturday 23-Feb, I'm up for it...i am GMT+8....

• @metalfoot  Feb 21

@dragondreams I will endeavour to get the footlings to record something tomorrow before school!

• @dragondreams  Feb 21

@rahkoi - anything goes, and nice to see you back!
    @carleybaer - thank you kindly. 😊
    @jamkar - 😎
    @dreamscuba - by its very nature, I'll be able to slot in late entries. πŸ˜‰
    @metalfoot - the footlings' contribution will be most welcome!

Thank you all for being part of this madness! πŸ˜‚

• @mikeskliar  Feb 21

just saw this, looks fun! if i can get something together by sat 2-23, I'll do! (if thats not too late?)

• @dragondreams  Feb 21

@mikeskliar - go for it, Mike. 😊😎

• @declan Feb 21

@dragondreams you should have received a snippet from me.

• @calumcarlyle  Feb 21

Rightyho, @dragondreams , i have emailed some hastily slung together bits and pieces just now. Hope some of it is useful! πŸ˜€

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 21

@dragondreams I'll put together some vocal ahh-ooh stuff stems together for you today.

• @dragondreams  Feb 21

@declan @calumcarlyle @pearlmanhattan
    Thank you all! This is going to be one doozy of a Castle party! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜Ž

• @mikeskliar  Feb 21

Just sent you via email a guitar track and a vocal track - hope you can use and have fun with it all!

• @dragondreams  Feb 22

@mikeskliar - snagged 'em, Mike. And thank you. πŸ˜€

• @dreamscuba  Feb 23

@dragondreams - Wav file stems for 4 tracks sent to you via wetransfer...let me know if they are ok...or if you don't get them or any problems...thanks....Oh, and no guessing the influence on the rhythm guitar bits...

• @dragondreams  Feb 23

@dreamscuba - Just this second snagged them, sirrah. Thankee most grandly!
    I'm starting work on this today (as soon as the caffeine hits my system) so your timing is spot-on! πŸ˜€
    Not heard them yet, but now you just KNOW I'm going to be guessing the influence on the rhythm guitar bits! 😁

• @dragondreams  Feb 23

@spirulence - ATTENTION! I have an "issue"!!!
    Not a techy one. I simply want to know how to pronounce your handle. Is the "i" in spirulence an "eye" sound or a shortened "ee" sound. I want to get it right for your call-out. πŸ˜€

• @dragondreams  Feb 23

There's a placemarker account now up for you to add as a collab partner for this!
    @castledragondreams
    It's a while since I did one of these multiple partner collabs on FAWM, so bear with me as I sort it out in my head. Unless someone can step in and clarify how we all go about adding ourselves into this one. 😁
    So far I have working and workable pieces from:
    @headfirstonly
    @izaakalexander
    @sapient
    @spirulence
    @calumcarlyle
    @pearlmanhattan
    @rahkoi
    @declan
    @lazyafro
    @carleybaer
    @jamkar
    @dreamscuba
    @metalfoot
    @mikeskliar

I only have this weekend and Monday to work on this, so I'm going to have to be strict with myself and say that 10pm GMT today (Saturday 23 Feb) is the very last time I can accept anything new.

Huge thanks to those lovely FAWMily members who have already contributed to this. You have created a scene of total devastation and chaos in my tiny (spare bedroom) studio. There are notes with coloured lines and comments scattered all across the floor! 😁

• @dragondreams  Feb 23

Duplicate post? I wonder whether I should be allowed near technology today...

• @darcistrutt  Feb 23

Goodness I missed this! Thank Geoffrey for me! Too early here foe cowbell yet...but I will make an attempt today! I’ll review this thread more but an idea of temp would be great.

• @dragondreams  Feb 23

@darcistrutt - thank you loads! 90bpm, Princess, but don't take that too literally. πŸ˜‰

• @silvermachine  Feb 23

@dragondreams, Allo mate are you being Viv Stanshall then and introducing each person? So we don't introduce ourselves?
    Will send you my bit shortly, apologies for being so late.

• @darcistrutt  Feb 23

@dragondreams I emailed you links to the Dropbox files! I am excited to be a part of this castle party!

• @calumcarlyle  Feb 23

I don't know if that url is coming up as a 404 for anybody else but it is for me. Let's try this and see if it works better as a url @castledragondreams

• @calumcarlyle  Feb 23

That seems to work as a url, @dragondreams ,i don't know if you fancy editing your comment above to include that?

• @tcelliott  Feb 23

Just sent an email with a file and a note.. By my count it's on time... but then I'm shit at maths. For some reason, the title of this thread never made me click it again even though I wanted to participate from the start. If it's not in time then I'm cool with that.

• @spinhead Feb 23

Wait; I'm NOT the only person alive who's heard of the Bonzos?

• @dragondreams  Feb 23

@calumcarlyle - Thanks for spotting that! I'll edit that in a few minutes. I'm on an Android tablet and it won't show me the edit option.
    @tcelliott - still in time TC. 😊
    @darcistrutt - got them, Princess. Been out at my parents all evening, so only just got back to my technology.
    @silvermachine - that was the original plan, but this thing has taken on a life of its own, so the shout-outs may end up as a written order of appearance in the liner notes. And I got your piece too!

• @silvermachine  Feb 23

@darcistrutt Are you really a princess?
    @dragondreams That will be a shame if we have no Viv Stanshall.
    I understand the workload this has must have left you with but maybe we have a budding Viv Stanshall here who can step in and provide the intros for you?

• @darcistrutt  Feb 23

Ha @silvermachine my alter ego is Princess of the Cowbell. I play rather uniquely. @dragondreams I’m glad you got them! Hope Geoffrey appreciates my melodic call out to him.

• @headfirstonly  Feb 23

I'd be *very* happy to step into Viv's shoes. Just send me a script πŸ˜€

• @dragondreams  Feb 23

It's in hand, but thanks for the offer, @headfirstonly. It would double the workload at my end to send out a script, then marshall the dialogue clips. My PC only has 4Gb RAM, and it's already struggling. I'm adding shoutouts as I go now. The original version I started earlier in the week has been binned, because this beast is definitely taking its own direction.
    And it doesn't want to follow the form of the Bonzo track, so a Viv style narration aint going to work anyway.

• @dragondreams  Feb 23

@darcistrutt - I haven't played it to Geoffrey yet! We're out of tranquiliser darts until the delivery banshee drops some off on Moonday. I can't risk having him ravaging the bars of the portcullis again. The villagers have only just put away their pitchforks after his last episode.

• @dragondreams  Feb 23

A little perspective. I'm already running 47 separate tracks, most stereo, in Reaper... and so far that's only down to contributions from seven of you. There are ten more contributors to squeeze in. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œ

• @headfirstonly  Feb 23

Fair enough. How on *earth* are you managing to do anyting with just 4Gb of RAM? I might have some spare sticks of memory kicking around if you need more...

(My first PC was 80286 based and had a whopping 1 MB of RAM...)

• @rahkoi  Feb 24

Reading this thread just increases the hype. Man...

• @dragondreams  Feb 24

@headfirstonly - Chris, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get RAM for this box. It's my original music box, resurrected when the big beast died last year. It only takes two sticks, and it has to be DDR2 pc2-6400 non-buffered. I've returned three lots of 16Gb (in two sticks) to CEX coz they keep sending server memory. And I simply cannot justify the over Β£200 that some suppliers want for what they see as obsolete memory.
    I did buy some from Amazon, but that was also a disaster, stopping the machine from booting. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜Ž

• @dragondreams  Feb 24

Not really building the hype... actually, yes I am. This is only waiting for one more file to be slotted into place.
    To manage expectations though, if you're expecting anything like the original concept of the Bonzo's track, ditch that thought. This has taken on a life of its own, and now resembles more of a guided "corpse" - if a corpse can take on a life of its own? Maybe that's why I feel like this track has eaten my brain! It's a ZOMBIE song!

• @castledragondreams Feb 24

It's, erm... it's here:
    https://fawm.org/songs/97329/

Will someone remind me how to set this up so you can add yourselves as multiple collabs please?

DAMN!!! I've locked it! @mikeskliar - so sorry Mike. I got your files! I just didn't spot them in my inbox. I asked for files to be sent to jam (@) dragondreams, etc. That's why I missed them.
    I got yours well ahead of deadline, so I'm going to grab some food, then re-edit to fit your parts in!

• @mikeskliar  Feb 24

ah, ok, thanks! and sorry if i sent to the wrong email- thanks again!

• @sapient  Feb 24

Oh wow!
    Out for a curry at the mo... I now can't wait to get home! πŸ˜ƒ

• @mikeskliar  Feb 24

eagerly awaiting checking it out later as well (can't do it right now)-- thanks again for putting this all together @dragondreams !

• @rahkoi  Feb 24

Oh dear. Had a quick listen at the first four minutes or so and it's amaaaaaazing and funny and brilliant. Can't wait to have a moment to give the whole thing a listen later on.

• @rahkoi  Feb 24

P.s. @sapient arriving like a boss...

• @metalfoot  Feb 24

Everyone did amazingly in this. Hilarious work with a list of contributors which is like a 'who's who' of FAWM. 😁

• @mikeskliar  Feb 24

Just heard it it’s wild !

• @darcistrutt  Feb 24

Now I wish I had a script. I'm missing some of the dialog. It is quite funny! I listened on the full stereo and my hubby got a kick out of it. He didn't recognize my voice at first but knows I'm Princess of the Cowbell! Ha! He really appreciated the variety of guitar work in there.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 24

Truly Brill in concept and execution. Everyone's appearances are pure magic. Best party I've ever been to.

• @sapient  Feb 24

Wonderful work @dragondreams and everyone who took part!
    Next time tho, DD, would you mind telling the gargoyles that the airship is *not* a "blimp", and is not to be used for spud-gun target practice!

• @dragondreams  Feb 24

@sapient - sorry about that! Nigel gets carried away in defence of the Castle. On the plus side, they were prime Jersey Royals. Chef gave him a right rollicking, and twisted one of Nigel's nipples something cruel for that.

• @dragondreams  Feb 24

Seriously, thank you all so much for being such good sports and trusting me with your valued offerings. 😊
    I love my FAWMily!

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 24

brilliantly done DD! well done EVERYONE!!!

• @sapient  Feb 28

Um, folks, could you all check your pockets please? I've mislaid the keys to me airship and @dragondreams keeps pointing out that it's still parked out front. I don't want to upset anyone...

• @dragondreams  Feb 28

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• @dragondreams  Feb 28

Quick note... We can get @castledragondreams across the finish line if all those who took part add this as a collab... πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Ž

• @dreamscuba  Feb 28

Nice!!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...