The Exquisite Corpse Thread

Skip to the bottom

• @sph  7 weeks

I shamelessly copied this text from @metalfoot :
    The Exquisite Corpse is one of my favourite FAWM/50-90 games. In it, each participant tries to continue the song based on a small (10 sec) snippet of the chunk which came before it. The stitcher takes all the pieces (typically 45s-1m in length) and compiles a song from it, which is then posted to great mirth and hilarity for all involved.

I'm willing to start and stitch the first one. To keep the whole endeavour manageable I suggest not more than 6 contributors to each corpse.

Well, and here are the first two Freeform Exquisite Corpses:

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 1
    1. @metalfoot
    2. @declan
    3. @w1n
    4. @andygetch
    5. @downburst
    6. @tesla3090

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 2
    1. @sph
    2. @seemanski
    3. @ballyhoot
    4. @ampersandman
    5. @lowhum
    6. @nateger

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 3 (Stitcher @marvsmooth )
    1. @lokimotive
    2. @bradbrubaker
    3. @saumera
    4. @wazylizard
    5. @ballyhoot
    6. @marvsmooth
    Waiting for next freeform corpse:
    @lokimotive

• @ampersandman  7 weeks

Definitely in for one!

• @declan 7 weeks

I'm in.

• @w1n  7 weeks

I'm in

• @metalfoot  7 weeks

I've started an Acoustic Corpse thread so I'll wait out regular corpse #1 but might be free to jump in later in the month 😁

• @downburst  7 weeks

I'm in, but could I suggest that we wait for the first to start these organizing posts? Some people won't show up until then and it's dispiriting to come to these posts to find there are already umpteen people ahead of you.

• @sph  7 weeks

@downburst Point taken. As I wrote above a corpse with a lot of contributors is a strenuous affair, because most people involved are waiting: either for their call or they're waiting to hear the tune in its entirety. Therefore I suggested to have only six participants for each corpse.
    I will wait for Feb 1st and then arrange enough corpses for all interested. We even could shuffle the positions.

• @downburst  7 weeks

The multiple corpses proviso definitely helps ease the pain!

I'm kind of interested in running a themed corpse (theme to be determined, but it might be something like picking a tempo or a key or a mood). It's fun to have some differentiation (along with, of course, good old anything goes).

• @ballyhoot 7 weeks

I love corpses!
    Ur... I mean..
    I love participating in exquisite corpse music challenges!
    It helps to be specific.
    So I definitely want to be included whenever we start organizing some of these....
    😀

• @tesla3090  7 weeks

I'm in! I missed out on the last few years, so it will be fun to get around to it again.

• @cairobraga  7 weeks

@sph is this the "master" thread where, in previous years, we would organize all the corpses by category (acoustic, lyric only, full production, mixed) and letters (A, B, C, D...)?

• @sph  7 weeks

@cairobraga did not think about this. I would like this thread to be for the "freeform" category: do whatever you like with your contribution, be it full production, LoFi, electronica or whatever else spurs your creativity.
    If anyone wants a master thread, please create one.

• @seemanski  7 weeks

This sounds fun, I'm in

• @lowhum 7 weeks

Sure! Count me in!

• @downburst  7 weeks

@sph Maybe change the title of this thread to reflect that? And then somebody (it could be me) could start the "official" thread.

• @metalfoot  7 weeks

@downburst That'd be awesome if you'd be willing to start the 'official' index thread.

• @sph  7 weeks

@downburst When I find out to change the title I will do this.

• @downburst  7 weeks

Oh! I though you just hit edit on your post.

• @andygetch  7 weeks

In

• @sph  7 weeks

@downburst unfortunately not. 😞 Just create "The official Exquisite Corpse Master Thread"

• @downburst  7 weeks

Well, dang. OK, the "official" thread is https://fawm.org/forums/topic/8869/

• @sph  7 weeks

Well, and here are the first two Freeform Exquisite Corpses. Please tell me if you want another title for this.
    Anyway: have fun!

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 1
    (Stitcher @sph)
    1. @metalfoot
    2. @declan
    3. @w1n
    4. @andygetch
    5. @downburst
    6. @tesla3090

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 2
    (Stitcher @sph - I promise to listen only to the last 10 seconds of @seemanski's tune)
    1. @seemanski
    2. @sph
    3. @ballyhoot
    4. @ampersandman
    5. @lowhum
    6. ---

• @nateger  7 weeks

Please sign me up if its not too late!

• @seemanski  7 weeks

@sph I have come down with the flu and I don't think I am going to be able to start this anytime soon. It might be best to reorder so you can get started.

• @metalfoot  7 weeks

I'll get at my opening chunk either late tonight or tomorrow while the rest of the North American market is watching the Super Bowl. Trying to juggle work, family and play commitments but after tonight's show I have a few days off from the play!

• @sph  7 weeks

@seemanski ok, i see what i can come up with. Get well soon

• @sph  7 weeks

@nateger you can take the open slot in the second one

• @nateger  7 weeks

@sph perfect!

• @lokimotive  6 weeks

Id be interested in something like this. I'm producing electronically over here so LMK!

• @saumera  6 weeks

Sign me up too!

• @wazylizard 6 weeks

I'd be happy to join the exquisite corpse - I've always loved this writing game, I wonder how it might work with songs!

• @declan 6 weeks

@metalfoot please use the email in my profile to forward on my 10 secs. When you are ready. Its Liverpool v West Ham tonight a far bigger event than the Catch Championships, so don't feel under pressure.

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

@declan Will do. Sorry I've not moved on this yet.

• @bradbrubaker  6 weeks

I'll do one if another thread starts. Preferably earlier, like spot #2 or #3.

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

OK first chunk of Corpse 1 done. Sending full bit to @sph and 10s to @declan.

• @declan 6 weeks

I didn't get the email @metalfoot

(I wasn't hassling in my earlier message).

• @declan 6 weeks

@metalfoot thanks. Is it in a specific Key?

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

It ended on an F#m - G thing, kinda alternating between the chords, but it was very much in D.

• @declan 6 weeks

@metalfoot thank you.

• @ballyhoot 6 weeks

I'm a little confused who's supposed to start the freeform exquisite corpse #2. At the top of the thread, it lists @sph as the lead-in. But in the middle of the thread, it lists @seemanski . But then there's a post from @seemanski that they got sick and suggesting a re-order. After that, there are a couple of posts that suggest that @nateger is going to lead off the second one. So is the order now:

1. @nateger
    2. @sph
    3. @ballyhoot
    4. @ampersandman
    5. @lowhum
    6. @seemanski

• @nateger  6 weeks

@ballyhoot thanks for clearing this up. I'll get started!

• @ballyhoot 6 weeks

@nateger , I don’t know if I’m clearing it up. I may have muddied it more. I just realized that the earlier posts had said you could take the “open slot”, which probably meant slot 6 but I had misread it as “opening slot”.... my bad.... I’ll be quiet now....

• @declan 6 weeks

@w1n should have recieved 10 secs and @sph my song

• @w1n  6 weeks

I have received @declan s 10sec, I'll record my part tomorrow.

• @lokimotive  5 weeks

Any progress on a new exquisite corpse list?

• @marvsmooth  5 weeks

Any openings?

• @sph  5 weeks

Hi all: I'm still alive but was caught by "this thing called life". Will do my two corpse tunes tonight and try to get this thread sorted.
    Sorry to let you wait so long.

• @ballyhoot 5 weeks

For what it's worth, the following people have expressed an interest in this thread in joining an exquisite corpse, who aren't already part of the first two corpses. Just need a stitcher.

@lokimotive
    @bradbrubaker
    @saumera
    @wazylizard
    @marvsmooth

And I don't mind being the 6th participant, so we just need a stitcher. If nobody else wants to do it, I can try my hand at it. I've never done it before.

• @marvsmooth  5 weeks

I can finish and stitch.

• @ballyhoot 5 weeks

Awesome! Thanks @marvsmooth

• @metalfoot  5 weeks

i was going to say, @marvsmooth is an old hand at organizing and stitching corpses!

• @marvsmooth  5 weeks

@ballyhoot @lokimotive @bradbrubaker @saumera @wazylizard - how about this;

1. Lokimotive
    2. Bradbrubake
    3. Saumaker
    4. Wazylizard
    5. Ballyhoot
    6. Marvsmooth

Stitched by me?

• @marvsmooth  5 weeks

^sorry about the names, I can’t edit on a phone^

• @saumera  5 weeks

Yeah Saumaker's in

• @ballyhoot 5 weeks

Works for me

• @bradbrubaker  5 weeks

@marvsmooth - Sounds good.

• @marvsmooth  5 weeks

@saumera - thank you, lol 😀

• @declan 5 weeks

How’s progress on exquisite corpse 1 coming along? @w1n @andygetch ?

• @declan 5 weeks

If there’s a forth I’m in?

• @wazylizard 5 weeks

Good for me too, sorry for the delay

• @marvsmooth  4 weeks

Nothing from @lokimotive yet. I might start this

• @declan 4 weeks

Has Corpse 1 Stalled?

1. @metalfoot - done
    2. @declan - done
    3. @w1n
    4. @andygetch
    5. @downburst
    6. @tesla3090

• @andygetch  4 weeks

@declan @metalfoot to date, I have heard nothing on this from @w1n

• @w1n  4 weeks

@declan sorry I had completely forgotten about it, I'll get it done today

• @declan 4 weeks

Cool, there's still time.

• @declan 4 weeks

Cool, there's still time.

• @marvsmooth  4 weeks

Okay, I’ll swap me and @lokimotive over...

1. @marvsmooth - DONE
    2. @bradbrubaker - DONE
    3. @saumera - DONE
    4. @wazylizard - DONE
    5. @ballyhoot - IN PROGRESS
    6. @lokimotive - WAITING

Still for me to stitch it up.

• @downburst  4 weeks

Just checking in: I have been somewhat truant, but I am still on board for this.

• @bradbrubaker  4 weeks

I've emailed my last ten seconds to @saumera.

• @saumera  4 weeks

@marvsmooth just poppin in to ask a quick question: how long should I be aiming for for my section?

• @marvsmooth  4 weeks

@saumera - around a minute or so 😀

Send the last ten seconds or so to @wazylizard and the full piece to me for stitching

• @saumera  4 weeks

Ok done, I'm emailing things to the proper people. @wazylizard you're up!

• @marvsmooth  4 weeks

I've got it all lined up so far on the corpse that I'm piecing together, and am playing with a bit of creativity, if everyone is okay with it.

• @ballyhoot 4 weeks

I've received my 10-second "inspiration" for Corpse #3. Will try to work on it this weekend. Whatever happened to Corpse #2, though?

• @declan 4 weeks

Corpse 1 has been stalled the 6th.

@w1n should I forward the 10secs to @andygetch ?

• @marvsmooth  4 weeks

@declan - how long has it been stalled for?

• @declan 4 weeks

Since the 6th.

• @andygetch  4 weeks

@declan if you send me your last ten seconds I will write it later today such that a segment by @w1n following the same ten seconds still hopefully fits and hopefully @downburst and @tesla3090 have enough time to finish for @sph to stitch.

• @declan 4 weeks

@andygetch that should be with you now.

• @andygetch  4 weeks

@declan got it, done, and last ten seconds relayed to @downburst! Full minute sent to @sph

• @declan 4 weeks

Good work!

• @ballyhoot 3 weeks

My bit for Corpse #3 is completed and sent to @marvsmooth ...

But I sent both my last 10 seconds AND my full bit to him. Am I supposed to send my last 10 seconds to @lokimotive ? Are they still around?

• @marvsmooth  3 weeks

@ballyhoot - send the last ten seconds to @lokimotive just in case. I’ll give them until Tuesday, and then we’ll call it finished if there’s nothing?

• @ballyhoot 3 weeks

@marvsmooth : Okay, will do. I already left for work before seeing this so I'll have to take care of it later tonight. Also, I'm probably going to send you a new version of my piece for stitching. I think my vocals come on too strong and I'm inclined to actually do one full verse-length of music-only before having the vocals kick in. I'll re-send tonight.

• @marvsmooth  3 weeks

@ballyhoot - that’s fine. This is slightly different to normal skirmishes, where I’ve been creative.

I’ve added little sound bites from others’ bits into my intro instrumental bit, and there’s a sound collage in the middle using people’s snippets.

• @downburst  3 weeks

I'm really sorry to be so worthless, folks, but I can't do my bit on corpse 1. I'm just too distracted by other things. I'm a bad fawmer this year.

• @marvsmooth  3 weeks

@ballyhoot - I haven't actually received an email from you with your full piece.

• @ballyhoot 3 weeks

For the record, this has been resolved....😀.....

• @lowhum 3 weeks

Is corpse2 moving?

• @ballyhoot 3 weeks

@lowhum , I asked about that, too, about 5 days ago but nobody replied. Seems to have stalled. There was some confusion, I think, about who was actually going to start it (sad to say that I contributed to that confusion). In the end, I'm not sure anyone ever actually got around to starting it. Should we drop it entirely or attempt a "speed corpse"?

• @lowhum 3 weeks

Maybe run a yes/no, see who's up to it and do it in a day? I'm a yes btw 😀

• @marvsmooth  3 weeks

Thank you @ballyhoot

• @ballyhoot 3 weeks

@lowhum, I have time tonight to put something together, but probably not tomorrow. So if anyone can put something together this afternoon and send to me, I can do something tonight. Or I can start things off tonight.

• @lowhum 3 weeks

I guess we just wrapp it up for next year.

• @ballyhoot 3 weeks

🙁 but yeah

• @declan 3 weeks

I guess Corpse 1 failed too. I was rather counting on that for my 14th.

With @metalfoot 's permission (since it incorporates elements of his earlier bit). I might just put my section up on it's own.

• @metalfoot  3 weeks

@declan Be my guest. Corpses can be tricky sometimes. They do fall apart!

• @declan 3 weeks

Neat. Thanks.

• @sph  3 weeks

@lowhum do you want to step in for @downburst in corpse 1? I'll send you Andy's last ten seconds while I'm stitching the first three parts.

Edit: have stitched the first three and added a placeholder for the song in case someone will add something in the last few hours.

• @wazylizard 3 weeks

@marvsmooth What about the corpse 3? Have you managed to stitch it?

• @marvsmooth  3 weeks

@wazylizard - yes it was stitched. @saumera wanted to master it as well, sent me the link last night (while I was at work), and now that I've got up I am trying to upload it!

• @marvsmooth  3 weeks

@wazylizard @bradbrubaker @saumera @ballyhoot - here is the finished Exquisite Corpse 3 - Writing On The Wall https://fawm.org/songs/98549/

• @wazylizard 3 weeks

That makes me an unofficial successful FAWMer then? That was the 14th song for me (and I think that I prefer as much missing the target by 1 song, for the sake of it).

Great outcome, I like the changing vibe of something that still seems to follow a sort of thread. Thanks for the collaboration on this @marvsmooth @bradbrubaker @saumera and @ballyhoot !

• @metalfoot  3 weeks

@wazylizard Just by showing up and making music you're a successful FAWMer! 😁 That was a great corpse; @marvsmooth really went the extra mile with the stitching and arranging.

• @sph  3 weeks

I stitched a short one withparts by @metalfoot @declan @andygetch
    https://fawm.org/songs/99248/

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...