The Exquisite Corpse Thread

Skip to the bottom

• @sph  Jan 28

I shamelessly copied this text from @metalfoot :
    The Exquisite Corpse is one of my favourite FAWM/50-90 games. In it, each participant tries to continue the song based on a small (10 sec) snippet of the chunk which came before it. The stitcher takes all the pieces (typically 45s-1m in length) and compiles a song from it, which is then posted to great mirth and hilarity for all involved.

I'm willing to start and stitch the first one. To keep the whole endeavour manageable I suggest not more than 6 contributors to each corpse.

Well, and here are the first two Freeform Exquisite Corpses:

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 1
    1. @metalfoot
    2. @declan
    3. @w1n
    4. @andygetch
    5. @downburst
    6. @tesla3090

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 2
    1. @sph
    2. @seemanski
    3. @ballyhoot
    4. @ampersandman
    5. @lowhum
    6. @nateger

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 3 (Stitcher @marvsmooth )
    1. @lokimotive
    2. @bradbrubaker
    3. @saumera
    4. @wazylizard
    5. @ballyhoot
    6. @marvsmooth
    Waiting for next freeform corpse:
    @lokimotive

• @ampersandman  Jan 28

Definitely in for one!

• @declan Jan 28

I'm in.

• @w1n  Jan 28

I'm in

• @metalfoot  Jan 28

I've started an Acoustic Corpse thread so I'll wait out regular corpse #1 but might be free to jump in later in the month 😁

• @downburst  Jan 28

I'm in, but could I suggest that we wait for the first to start these organizing posts? Some people won't show up until then and it's dispiriting to come to these posts to find there are already umpteen people ahead of you.

• @sph  Jan 28

@downburst Point taken. As I wrote above a corpse with a lot of contributors is a strenuous affair, because most people involved are waiting: either for their call or they're waiting to hear the tune in its entirety. Therefore I suggested to have only six participants for each corpse.
    I will wait for Feb 1st and then arrange enough corpses for all interested. We even could shuffle the positions.

• @downburst  Jan 28

The multiple corpses proviso definitely helps ease the pain!

I'm kind of interested in running a themed corpse (theme to be determined, but it might be something like picking a tempo or a key or a mood). It's fun to have some differentiation (along with, of course, good old anything goes).

• @ballyhoot Jan 28

I love corpses!
    Ur... I mean..
    I love participating in exquisite corpse music challenges!
    It helps to be specific.
    So I definitely want to be included whenever we start organizing some of these....
    😀

• @tesla3090  Jan 28

I'm in! I missed out on the last few years, so it will be fun to get around to it again.

• @cairobraga  Jan 28

@sph is this the "master" thread where, in previous years, we would organize all the corpses by category (acoustic, lyric only, full production, mixed) and letters (A, B, C, D...)?

• @sph  Jan 29

@cairobraga did not think about this. I would like this thread to be for the "freeform" category: do whatever you like with your contribution, be it full production, LoFi, electronica or whatever else spurs your creativity.
    If anyone wants a master thread, please create one.

• @seemanski  Jan 30

This sounds fun, I'm in

• @lowhum Jan 31

Sure! Count me in!

• @downburst  Jan 31

@sph Maybe change the title of this thread to reflect that? And then somebody (it could be me) could start the "official" thread.

• @metalfoot  Jan 31

@downburst That'd be awesome if you'd be willing to start the 'official' index thread.

• @sph  Jan 31

@downburst When I find out to change the title I will do this.

• @downburst  Jan 31

Oh! I though you just hit edit on your post.

• @andygetch  Jan 31

In

• @sph  Jan 31

@downburst unfortunately not. 😞 Just create "The official Exquisite Corpse Master Thread"

• @downburst  Jan 31

Well, dang. OK, the "official" thread is https://fawm.org/forums/topic/8869/

• @sph  Feb 1

Well, and here are the first two Freeform Exquisite Corpses. Please tell me if you want another title for this.
    Anyway: have fun!

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 1
    (Stitcher @sph)
    1. @metalfoot
    2. @declan
    3. @w1n
    4. @andygetch
    5. @downburst
    6. @tesla3090

Freeform Exquisite Corpse 2
    (Stitcher @sph - I promise to listen only to the last 10 seconds of @seemanski's tune)
    1. @seemanski
    2. @sph
    3. @ballyhoot
    4. @ampersandman
    5. @lowhum
    6. ---

• @nateger  Feb 2

Please sign me up if its not too late!

• @seemanski  Feb 2

@sph I have come down with the flu and I don't think I am going to be able to start this anytime soon. It might be best to reorder so you can get started.

• @metalfoot  Feb 2

I'll get at my opening chunk either late tonight or tomorrow while the rest of the North American market is watching the Super Bowl. Trying to juggle work, family and play commitments but after tonight's show I have a few days off from the play!

• @sph  Feb 2

@seemanski ok, i see what i can come up with. Get well soon

• @sph  Feb 2

@nateger you can take the open slot in the second one

• @nateger  Feb 3

@sph perfect!

• @lokimotive  Feb 3

Id be interested in something like this. I'm producing electronically over here so LMK!

• @saumera  Feb 4

Sign me up too!

• @wazylizard Feb 4

I'd be happy to join the exquisite corpse - I've always loved this writing game, I wonder how it might work with songs!

• @declan Feb 4

@metalfoot please use the email in my profile to forward on my 10 secs. When you are ready. Its Liverpool v West Ham tonight a far bigger event than the Catch Championships, so don't feel under pressure.

• @metalfoot  Feb 4

@declan Will do. Sorry I've not moved on this yet.

• @bradbrubaker  Feb 4

I'll do one if another thread starts. Preferably earlier, like spot #2 or #3.

• @metalfoot  Feb 4

OK first chunk of Corpse 1 done. Sending full bit to @sph and 10s to @declan.

• @declan Feb 5

I didn't get the email @metalfoot

(I wasn't hassling in my earlier message).

• @declan Feb 5

@metalfoot thanks. Is it in a specific Key?

• @metalfoot  Feb 5

It ended on an F#m - G thing, kinda alternating between the chords, but it was very much in D.

• @declan Feb 5

@metalfoot thank you.

• @ballyhoot Feb 5

I'm a little confused who's supposed to start the freeform exquisite corpse #2. At the top of the thread, it lists @sph as the lead-in. But in the middle of the thread, it lists @seemanski . But then there's a post from @seemanski that they got sick and suggesting a re-order. After that, there are a couple of posts that suggest that @nateger is going to lead off the second one. So is the order now:

1. @nateger
    2. @sph
    3. @ballyhoot
    4. @ampersandman
    5. @lowhum
    6. @seemanski

• @nateger  Feb 6

@ballyhoot thanks for clearing this up. I'll get started!

• @ballyhoot Feb 6

@nateger , I don’t know if I’m clearing it up. I may have muddied it more. I just realized that the earlier posts had said you could take the “open slot”, which probably meant slot 6 but I had misread it as “opening slot”.... my bad.... I’ll be quiet now....

• @declan Feb 6

@w1n should have recieved 10 secs and @sph my song

• @w1n  Feb 7

I have received @declan s 10sec, I'll record my part tomorrow.

• @lokimotive  Feb 10

Any progress on a new exquisite corpse list?

• @marvsmooth  Feb 11

Any openings?

• @sph  Feb 11

Hi all: I'm still alive but was caught by "this thing called life". Will do my two corpse tunes tonight and try to get this thread sorted.
    Sorry to let you wait so long.

• @ballyhoot Feb 12

For what it's worth, the following people have expressed an interest in this thread in joining an exquisite corpse, who aren't already part of the first two corpses. Just need a stitcher.

@lokimotive
    @bradbrubaker
    @saumera
    @wazylizard
    @marvsmooth

And I don't mind being the 6th participant, so we just need a stitcher. If nobody else wants to do it, I can try my hand at it. I've never done it before.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 12

I can finish and stitch.

• @ballyhoot Feb 12

Awesome! Thanks @marvsmooth

• @metalfoot  Feb 12

i was going to say, @marvsmooth is an old hand at organizing and stitching corpses!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 13

@ballyhoot @lokimotive @bradbrubaker @saumera @wazylizard - how about this;

1. Lokimotive
    2. Bradbrubake
    3. Saumaker
    4. Wazylizard
    5. Ballyhoot
    6. Marvsmooth

Stitched by me?

• @marvsmooth  Feb 13

^sorry about the names, I can’t edit on a phone^

• @saumera  Feb 13

Yeah Saumaker's in

• @ballyhoot Feb 13

Works for me

• @bradbrubaker  Feb 13

@marvsmooth - Sounds good.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 13

@saumera - thank you, lol 😀

• @declan Feb 15

How’s progress on exquisite corpse 1 coming along? @w1n @andygetch ?

• @declan Feb 15

If there’s a forth I’m in?

• @wazylizard Feb 15

Good for me too, sorry for the delay

• @marvsmooth  Feb 18

Nothing from @lokimotive yet. I might start this

• @declan Feb 18

Has Corpse 1 Stalled?

1. @metalfoot - done
    2. @declan - done
    3. @w1n
    4. @andygetch
    5. @downburst
    6. @tesla3090

• @andygetch  Feb 18

@declan @metalfoot to date, I have heard nothing on this from @w1n

• @w1n  Feb 18

@declan sorry I had completely forgotten about it, I'll get it done today

• @declan Feb 18

Cool, there's still time.

• @declan Feb 18

Cool, there's still time.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 18

Okay, I’ll swap me and @lokimotive over...

1. @marvsmooth - DONE
    2. @bradbrubaker - DONE
    3. @saumera - DONE
    4. @wazylizard - DONE
    5. @ballyhoot - IN PROGRESS
    6. @lokimotive - WAITING

Still for me to stitch it up.

• @downburst  Feb 18

Just checking in: I have been somewhat truant, but I am still on board for this.

• @bradbrubaker  Feb 18

I've emailed my last ten seconds to @saumera.

• @saumera  Feb 19

@marvsmooth just poppin in to ask a quick question: how long should I be aiming for for my section?

• @marvsmooth  Feb 19

@saumera - around a minute or so 😀

Send the last ten seconds or so to @wazylizard and the full piece to me for stitching

• @saumera  Feb 19

Ok done, I'm emailing things to the proper people. @wazylizard you're up!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 19

I've got it all lined up so far on the corpse that I'm piecing together, and am playing with a bit of creativity, if everyone is okay with it.

• @ballyhoot Feb 21

I've received my 10-second "inspiration" for Corpse #3. Will try to work on it this weekend. Whatever happened to Corpse #2, though?

• @declan Feb 22

Corpse 1 has been stalled the 6th.

@w1n should I forward the 10secs to @andygetch ?

• @marvsmooth  Feb 22

@declan - how long has it been stalled for?

• @declan Feb 22

Since the 6th.

• @andygetch  Feb 23

@declan if you send me your last ten seconds I will write it later today such that a segment by @w1n following the same ten seconds still hopefully fits and hopefully @downburst and @tesla3090 have enough time to finish for @sph to stitch.

• @declan Feb 23

@andygetch that should be with you now.

• @andygetch  Feb 23

@declan got it, done, and last ten seconds relayed to @downburst! Full minute sent to @sph

• @declan Feb 23

Good work!

• @ballyhoot Feb 25

My bit for Corpse #3 is completed and sent to @marvsmooth ...

But I sent both my last 10 seconds AND my full bit to him. Am I supposed to send my last 10 seconds to @lokimotive ? Are they still around?

• @marvsmooth  Feb 25

@ballyhoot - send the last ten seconds to @lokimotive just in case. I’ll give them until Tuesday, and then we’ll call it finished if there’s nothing?

• @ballyhoot Feb 25

@marvsmooth : Okay, will do. I already left for work before seeing this so I'll have to take care of it later tonight. Also, I'm probably going to send you a new version of my piece for stitching. I think my vocals come on too strong and I'm inclined to actually do one full verse-length of music-only before having the vocals kick in. I'll re-send tonight.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 25

@ballyhoot - that’s fine. This is slightly different to normal skirmishes, where I’ve been creative.

I’ve added little sound bites from others’ bits into my intro instrumental bit, and there’s a sound collage in the middle using people’s snippets.

• @downburst  Feb 27

I'm really sorry to be so worthless, folks, but I can't do my bit on corpse 1. I'm just too distracted by other things. I'm a bad fawmer this year.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 27

@ballyhoot - I haven't actually received an email from you with your full piece.

• @ballyhoot Feb 27

For the record, this has been resolved....😀.....

• @lowhum Feb 27

Is corpse2 moving?

• @ballyhoot Feb 27

@lowhum , I asked about that, too, about 5 days ago but nobody replied. Seems to have stalled. There was some confusion, I think, about who was actually going to start it (sad to say that I contributed to that confusion). In the end, I'm not sure anyone ever actually got around to starting it. Should we drop it entirely or attempt a "speed corpse"?

• @lowhum Feb 27

Maybe run a yes/no, see who's up to it and do it in a day? I'm a yes btw 😀

• @marvsmooth  Feb 27

Thank you @ballyhoot

• @ballyhoot Feb 27

@lowhum, I have time tonight to put something together, but probably not tomorrow. So if anyone can put something together this afternoon and send to me, I can do something tonight. Or I can start things off tonight.

• @lowhum Feb 28

I guess we just wrapp it up for next year.

• @ballyhoot Feb 28

🙁 but yeah

• @declan Feb 28

I guess Corpse 1 failed too. I was rather counting on that for my 14th.

With @metalfoot 's permission (since it incorporates elements of his earlier bit). I might just put my section up on it's own.

• @metalfoot  Feb 28

@declan Be my guest. Corpses can be tricky sometimes. They do fall apart!

• @declan Feb 28

Neat. Thanks.

• @sph  Feb 28

@lowhum do you want to step in for @downburst in corpse 1? I'll send you Andy's last ten seconds while I'm stitching the first three parts.

Edit: have stitched the first three and added a placeholder for the song in case someone will add something in the last few hours.

• @wazylizard Mar 1

@marvsmooth What about the corpse 3? Have you managed to stitch it?

• @marvsmooth  Mar 1

@wazylizard - yes it was stitched. @saumera wanted to master it as well, sent me the link last night (while I was at work), and now that I've got up I am trying to upload it!

• @marvsmooth  Mar 1

@wazylizard @bradbrubaker @saumera @ballyhoot - here is the finished Exquisite Corpse 3 - Writing On The Wall https://fawm.org/songs/98549/

• @wazylizard Mar 1

That makes me an unofficial successful FAWMer then? That was the 14th song for me (and I think that I prefer as much missing the target by 1 song, for the sake of it).

Great outcome, I like the changing vibe of something that still seems to follow a sort of thread. Thanks for the collaboration on this @marvsmooth @bradbrubaker @saumera and @ballyhoot !

• @metalfoot  Mar 1

@wazylizard Just by showing up and making music you're a successful FAWMer! 😁 That was a great corpse; @marvsmooth really went the extra mile with the stitching and arranging.

• @sph  Mar 2

I stitched a short one withparts by @metalfoot @declan @andygetch
    https://fawm.org/songs/99248/

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...