Songs inspired by movies

Skip to the bottom

• @embersofautumn Jan 23

Was listening to "So Long, Astoria" by the Ataris on the way to work this morning, a song heavily inspired by the movie The Goonies.

Made me wonder if anyone is going to try to write one (ore more) songs this year inspired or influenced by a loved movie?

• @adforperu  Jan 23

Not quite what you asked, but I write a song inspired by the PS4 game 'The Last of Us' every year

• @embersofautumn Jan 23

@adforperu Video Games are playable movies today. Perfectly fine!
    (Last year, I did a song based on Final Fantasy VI, so I get where you're coming from)

• @vomvorton  Jan 23

I watch a lot of films, so I often fall back on this when I run out of other ideas. Sci-fi movies for synthpop songs is a particular favourite! No particular plans so far this year but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

• @majordanby  Jan 23

I often use movies or books as inspiration. I find I can feel what a character is feeling when engrossed in a movie/book and I can then write from that perspective. Ive come up with a lot of great lyrics writing this way; without having to actually go through the events which are often tragedies!

• @chipwithrow  Jan 23

I've written about 800 songs since FAWM '08, and I can't recall a single one being directly influenced by a movie! Or even a TV show.
    So now I have an incentive to watch a movie, which I used to do a lot of but not much anymore, and write a song based on it. (Now, what movie to watch ... ?)

• @frey Jan 25

Well, I sometimes write songs about TV shows, 'cause I'm a big bingewatcher. I love the drama, it inspires me

• @atitlan  Jan 25

I don't generally write whole songs based on a single movie, TV show or book, but I do like throwing in lines that reference them.

• @mikeb Jan 25

The final track on my last album, Passengers, was inspired by the Jennifer Lawrence movie.
    https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com/t...

• @valeriecox  Jan 25

I have a FAWM song from way back in 2010 when I watched the last bit of The Nun's Story on TV and the ending was so striking that I immediately wrote a song about it. Now I've written well over 700 songs, but that one still stands out as one of my best. So is a movie song challenge worth a go? I'd say yes.

• @mikeskliar  Jan 25

Ive written songs inspired by specific movies, specific actors, and specific directors (There's a song i did a few years ago where I fit in the title of every Alfred Hitchcock film in there- and that's alot of films, something like 57 if I remember correctly)
    Given the academy awards (oscars) happen in February, maybe we could do a challenge to write about one of the nominated films and tag it #Oscar ? (or what's the british equivelent- bafta, i think?

• @judypie  Jan 25

Movies are my jam so I’m totally going to write an ode to cinema this year. Probably not about a specific flick though!

• @andygetch  Jan 26

Oh yeah. There have been a few sci-fi inspired from Star Trek and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, etc. A few 5090's ago, one of the challenges was to write songs for a movie/documentary that did not have a proper soundtrack. I wrote a series of songs for the documentary Food Inc. A couple of my songs last year were inspired by 'Who Killed The Electric Car?' and 'Revenge of the Electric Car' Probably will write one or more documentary inspired songs again. @chipwithrow wow, perhaps you just tapped into a new vein of inspiration. I wonder if there are any yoga documentary songs......

• @sbs2018 Jan 27

Last FAWM I wrote a song about several songs from my youth and some of those were from movies (okay, maybe one.) That was a lot of fun.

• @keithcuts Mar 4

From Glengarry Glen Ross “coffee is for closers only!”
    https://fawm.org/songs/94381/

• @leomozi  Mar 4

Not inspired by a movie per se, but in my song “The Gloating Ghost” I did paraphrase a pun from Young Frankenstein (Marty Feldman pretending to be a severed head, singing “I ain’t got no body”). https://fawm.org/songs/99072/

• @billwhite51 Mar 4

i am a former film critic for a major metropolitan daily that ceased publication after 150 years. so most of my songs are ideas for pop culture essays that i express through song rather than the now archaic prose. here is a song written for last years 50 90 that would have been an essay on chidren, fear, and movies had i not switched from criticism to songwriting. https://billwhite.bandcamp.com/track/...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...