14 pounds in 28 days

Skip to the bottom

• @brownium  Jan 22

Lose some weight while you are writing music!

You don't need to lose 14 lbs, but if you want to join with others trying to end February lighter than you started it (it's so easy to munch while songwriting and recording), join us.

I have a spreadsheet for daily (or as often as you want) tracking. Sign up here, and I'll add you to the sheet. (Send me your email address if it's not in your profile)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

• @adforperu  Jan 22

Yep, I'm in!

• @timfatchen  Jan 22

I'm 4 days into lo-carb, I need to lose 14lbs BY FAWMstart, and KEEP it down because of what happens when I depart 21st Feb! So signme up too! Misery loves company! Here, have a sodawater and a small squeeze of fresh lemon! ooops, thats right, you're mainly freezing and I'm looking at 113F on Thursday...

• @larryw Jan 22

@brownium I never weigh myself!! I think muscle is heavier than fat PMSL - I promise to do a 4km walk every day though!!

• @torniojaws  Jan 22

I'm working to GAIN, hehe. I started lifting weights a bit over 2 weeks ago ๐Ÿ˜€

- Standing incline press (3 x 5-8)
    - Deadlift (3 x 8-12)
    - Squat (5 x 5)
    - Barbell curl (3 x 5-8)
    - Shoulder press (3 x 5-8)

Still waiting for a replacement piece (wrong size!) on my bench, so I can start doing some bench presses too ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @frenchcricket  Jan 22

I need this too!

• @oddbod  Jan 22

ยฃ14 in 28 days? Surely that's well below the minimum wage?...unless you work for Nike in Indonesia

• @mattblick  Jan 22

I'm in. Been on slow carb for 2 years now. Need to shed Christmas weight plus a bit more!

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 22

Iโ€™m in

• @kahlo2013  Jan 22

Iโ€™m in!!!

• @elainedimasi  Jan 22

Yep, it will keep me honest too! gmail at elainedimasi

• @musicsongwriter Jan 22

I could do with some motivation with losing some weight so joining in.

• @carleybaer  Jan 22

I'm into this.

• @mdavisto  Jan 22

Yup yup. I hit goal weight in September, but then I had some surgery (nothing serious) and during recovery I gracefully double-flipped off the wagon.

• @brownium  Jan 22

Has everyone received notification giving access to the sheet?
    @mdavisto @carleybaer @musicsongwriter @elainedimasi @kahlo2013 @sw1n3flu @mattblick @frenchcricket @timfatchen @adforperu

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 22

Ha!! I'd LOVE to try this. I was always seem to do the opposite, so, make it a DOUBLE challenge. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @snoozin  Jan 22

I'm in for a penny, in for a pound. lol.

• @musicsongwriter Jan 22

Yes, just don't know how to use it.

• @brownium  Jan 22

@musicsongwriter (and everyone else) you just enter your weight under the appropriate column starting on 1 Feb. It will calculate your changes at the bottom.

• @mattblick  Jan 22

Yes

• @standup  Jan 22

Once again -- or still -- I'm heavier than I want to be. So I'll see if I can make some changes to my habits in February.

@brownium I have a suggestion for the weight thing. I imagine that not everyone necessarily wants to print out their weight or might not be comfortable with that. Would there be a way to have a universal starting weight (say, "100" or whatever) and then we just report in on the + or - weight we are achieving?

My two cents. I don't care if I put my weight, but I think others might not like sharing that necessarily.

PS. I'd also LOVE tips on how to lose weight.

• @brownium  Jan 22

@stevenwesleyguiles - Yes, the suggestion you make is absolutely doable. Anyone who doesn't want to reveal their weight can simply put a "0" in the first cell (or any other number of their choosing), then put the amount different from the original weight for any other day. So, if you really weight 275lb on 1 Feb, put in 0. If you weight 274 on 2 Feb, enter -2 for that day. If you weight 270 on day 3, enter -5 for that day. No problem.

• @brownium  Jan 22

@stevenwesleyguiles How to lose weight: Eat fewer calories. Low carb works, too.

Eat only rabbit meat, and you will eventually starve to death, so, that's a consideration. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein...

• @rainchaser  Jan 23

I need to gain weight ๐Ÿ˜ซ I'm suffering being skinny!

• @timfatchen  Jan 23

ggoogle won't let me in! Can you resend invite to boats at flyingtadpole dot com please/

• @mikeskliar  Jan 23

hmmm, probably not a bad idea! @brownium feel free to email me with the spreadsheet google link thingy (i think my email is on my page here?)

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 23

@brownium rabbit meat LOL

• @johnstaples  Jan 23

@brownium add me to the list please!

• @adforperu  Jan 23

@brownium, I didn't seem to get the email

• @musicsongwriter Jan 23

For those of us who know kg and g instead of pounds, would it be okay to use this system please?

• @dragondreams  Jan 23

This worked wonders for me last (first? only?) time I took part. Since then I'm at my healthy target weight and maintaining it within a couple of pounds each way. So I'll be here cheering you guys on. And maybe wickedly opening the cookie jar just within noseshot if I get to feeling devilish... ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @brownium  Jan 23

@musicsongwriter - Yes, you can use kg if you prefer. If I get a chance, I'll add a function that converts between the two.

• @nancyrost  Jan 23

After some snow-shoveling cardio this morning, I feel up to the challenge. Please add me in.

• @writeandwrong  Jan 23

I'm in! I failed badly last time but life was crazier. I wanna get it right this time!! Let's do this!! @the3queens, slap my hand if I mess up, please. I give you my permission lol

• @gubna Jan 23

Yeah, Iโ€™m in!

• @brownium  Jan 23

@writeandwrong @gubna - I need an email address (preferably gmail) to give you access. You can send it to me through email if you don't want to post it here.

• @writeandwrong  Jan 23

@brownium, it's writeandwrong70@gmail.com. Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @brownium  Jan 23

I added a function to convert between pounds and kilos. Select which unit you want to use. Your weight changes will be displayed in your preferred unit in the first section of calculations. Below that the calculations will be shown converted to both units.

• @jyllian Jan 24

Ok sounds fun! I canโ€™t get my running in with the NH weather but I will try.

• @timfatchen  Jan 24

11 pounds in 8 days...by the time I hit FAWM start I should be at my normal weight, THEN I can use this cunning spreadsheet and people to drop to the weight I should be. But for me it'll ahve to be 10.5 pounds in 21 days because I then exit!

• @wistah  Jan 25

I'm actually out this year. I ended up losing over 70 pounds last year and as such I'm at my goal weight. It still blows my mind to say this, but I don't think I have 14 pounds to lose. Good luck my friends~ it can be done!

• @zxcvbnm  Jan 25

After just eating six ginger biscuits, feeling satisfied but guilty. I think it could be time for me to try this.

• @ianuarius  Jan 25

Sure, I'll do it

• @timfatchen  Jan 25

@wistah , that's fabulous!

• @wistah  Jan 25

Thanks @timfatchen !

• @writeandwrong  Jan 25

@wistah , that is AWESOME!!! Congrats!!!

• @wistah  Jan 25

It's been an amazing year. Thanks!

• @bachelorb  Jan 25

@brownium ......add me in!!! Hopefully the extra walking will inspire songs......

• @brownium  Jan 25

@wistah - Wow, dude! Congratulations! The rest of us can take that for inspiration!

• @brownium  Jan 25

@zxcvbnm @bachelorb - I need email addresses to give you access. If you don't want to post your email address, you can send it to me through my email (on my profile)

• @zxcvbnm  Jan 25

houlet@live.co.uk

Sorry I thought it was visible to logged in FAWMERS

• @steviez  Jan 28

Oh yeah - this ๐Ÿ˜€ I was as successful at THIS last year as I was with FAWM - 2 pounds gained, and 0 songs written.

This year though, will be successful!
    Email is badlybentpub@yahoo.ca

• @evinwolverton  Jan 28

Add me baby! evinwolverton@gmail.com

• @acromie  Jan 31

I'm down. Not sure I'll make it after breaking my finger. I had to drop out of my 20lbs in 6 weeks challenge, but that doesn't mean I can't continue with nutrition, etc. Maybe this will hold me accountable while I heal.

• @mannon  Jan 31

I am definitely down. My health has been scaring me as of late (due to tons of surgery and and alot of abdominal issues)and I really have been trying to start back up the gym and get my diet back on track. I think doing it with others who are as dedicated might help me haha.

• @timfatchen  Jan 31

I've now been on this wretched diet for 14 days but I'm willing to persist for my tenure at FAWM!

• @brownium  Jan 31

@acromie - I'll need an email address to give you access. @mannon - gotcha!

• @brownium  Jan 31

@timfatchen - We'll all get through this together!

• @deannasweidel Jan 31

I'm in! dsweidel@gmail.com

• @cicpisces Jan 31

In!
    cc060369@aol.com

• @donna  Jan 31

@wistah, well done! You look fabulous. ๐Ÿ˜‰

@brownium, I'm in again, and am already underway, thanks to a recent combined attack of flu and acute bronchitis. I likely won't make a point of indicating weight changes in the chart (which I lost when when my computer crashed), but it's nice to know I'll be in the company of others. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'll weigh myself tomorrow morning, and take if from there.

• @rainchaser  Feb 1

Please take me off this list, I have nothing to lose lol but I hope everyone else succeeds in losing 14 pounds this month!

• @acromie  Feb 1

@brownium alison.elise.cromie@gmail.com

• @mdavisto  Feb 1

@brownium, there is a glitch somewhere in your formula, we seem to all be averaging double our actual. I do feel this way sometimes, but, it isn't true.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 1

I've been eating extra candy so I can hit my max weight before losing starting tomorrow.

That's how we're supposed to do it, right?
    @brownium

• @sheilerk  Feb 1

I didnโ€™t pack a scale in my two suitcases I brought to Mexico, but Iโ€™m in to see if the clothes I packed could get a bit looser!!

• @brownium  Feb 1

@mdavisto I'll take a look.

@stevenwesleyguiles I just told my wife that I was only eating pizza and drinking beer because I start my weigh in tomorrow.

@sheilerk Excellent! Report in to let us know how it goes!

• @cdwoodbury  Feb 1

I'm dieting, so yeah, I'm in. I might have better luck with that than the song challenge. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

• @brownium  Feb 1

al et @mdavisto - Yip, I did the math backwards. You can all thank me, I just cut your weight in half. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @brownium  Feb 1

@cdwoodbury - send me your email address, and I'll add you in!

• @dragondreams  Feb 1

@brownium Stephen, I'm at my target weight, so I'll be here cheering you guys on. I found this a brilliant incentive when I took part in the past, and wish you all happy shedding!

• @mdavisto  Feb 1

@brownium ... so ... that means I can eat twice as much, right?

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 1

@brownium
    Oh, and I can't seem to find the google doc. Can you send it out again?

Or I guess you could post a link at the top since only people who have been invited can view/edit, right?

• @brownium  Feb 1

@stevenwesleyguiles Adding the link to the first post, but here's another copy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

• @themiller  Feb 2

I lost 28 lbs in the lead up to Christmas. My very humble suggestion is that you read Eat Rich and Live Long by Ivor Cummins and Jeffry Gerber. This book will not just help you loose weight it may also save your life.

• @ianuarius  Feb 2

First day behind. Good news is: I didn't gain any more weight.

• @musicsongwriter Feb 2

Not sure I'm qualified to stay in a group as I seem to keep gaining for now. 600 g more than yesterday and hungry more often than before...

• @brownium  Feb 2

@musicsongwriter - hang in there, friend. I gained over the first night, too. Soldier on with us, let's see what we can do.

• @cicpisces Feb 2

Oops.. four course brunch ending with creme brulee... not a good start

• @musicsongwriter Feb 2

Thank you @brownium, I think I might need some tips. I thought I knew it all lol but I think I got tired of the idea of healthy eating... Sorry you too gained. I thought it was only me...

• @elainedimasi  Feb 3

mmmm

it's SALAD again : - )

: - /

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 3

Iโ€™ve also come to understand that itโ€™s not good to judge our day-to-day weight changes. Instead looking more at how itโ€™s trends over a week.

And today iโ€™m going to a friends house to watch the Super Bowl ... and drink beer and eat lots of junk food. So I imagine it set me back a little bit today

But Iโ€™ll probably be more conscious of what I eat and I normally work, which is probably a good thing.

• @elainedimasi  Feb 3

@stevenwesleyguiles That's exactly how I felt about the cookies I was eating on friday night

@elainedimasi yep. I see cookies and I want to eat them all.

But knowing I have some accountability here (just like with my songs) is very helpful. Iโ€™m never good at doing it on my own.

• @morti  Feb 3

I've been on a diet since November and lost nearly 20kg through a combination of VLCD and keto. I'm still doing keto, but mostly I find it easy to diet during FAWM because I just forget to eat. I had nothing today until about 4:30pm just because I was recording and it didn't occur to me. FAWM is great for weight loss.

• @bachelorb  Feb 3

@stevenwesleyguiles Man..... I almost spit out a Cheeto when I saw you were at a SB party...... ๐Ÿ˜ Go Pats and pass that salsa!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ #dietbedamned

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 3

I just lost 30lbs...Started in July....
    So hurray I don't need to lose weight!
    first time I didn't have a New Years Resolution to: Lose Weight...

@stevenwesleyguiles -
    How? low carbs...loads of Veg Buddah bowls, salads, fruit, Protein Smoothies, intermittent fasting from 6pm till 12 noon,
    gym 3-5 days a week...cardio and weights...

@wistah good on ya mate ...you look like a different person...

@bachelorb lol. I very seldom watch sports, but when I do, it has to be big. And free food. And a friend. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @ianuarius  Feb 4

I have a suggestion...

Finding myself on the Google Sheets is a bit difficult every day since I'm so far down. Do you think it would be a good idea to move the ppl who haven't used it at all further away so that it's more accessible to the more active users?

• @musicsongwriter Feb 4

I just tried to use the Google Sheet, entered kg, not sure it's okay but it kinda let me do it. Sent to @brownium, hope it worked.

• @tunecat Feb 4

Me! Armour.liz@outlook.com

• @brownium  Feb 4

@ianuarius - good thinking. I'll do that tonight.

• @frenchcricket  Feb 4

I'm afraid to weigh myself but I'll do it tomorrow

• @ianuarius  Feb 5

I can't edit the cells anymore ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• @adforperu  Feb 5

Seemed to work ok for me this morning.. unless your cells are locked ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Agree with @stevenwesleyguiles that logging weight every day is not conductive, but I'm happy to do it for the purpose of FAWM, and it's still of interest anyway... but ordinarily I weigh myself once a week

• @timfatchen  Feb 5

I weigh every 2 days. Each day? Depressing....

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 5

@ianuarius I added info/edited cells this morning, was fine?

• @ianuarius  Feb 5

• @timfatchen  Feb 8

And here's a salute to us all! https://fawm.org/songs/92206/ See? It's not our fault! (Not mine anyway!)

• @evinwolverton  Feb 8

Wait, so a sedentary month of sleeping 5hrs a night, hiding from the sun, and eating ramen at midnight *isn't* working?

We need some sort of skirmish here.

• @quork  Feb 8

This should be no problem. I quit smoking in December and Iโ€™m already at 4lbs for February.

Oh wait...lose?

• @ayancia Feb 9

Sign me up if this is still active! I can't guarantee much but damn if I wont try ๐Ÿ˜

• @brownium  Feb 9

For anyone who hasn't noticed - row 32 wants you to select lb or kg. It is default to lb, so change it if you need to. That effects the calculations at the bottom.

@ianuarius - are you still having trouble? I checked and it appears you should be able. If not, I'll twiddle the knobs some more.

@ayancia - I need your email address to add you in. If you don't want to publish your email address, you can send it to my email address (found in my profile).

@quork - not quite sure if you are asking to join, or just chatting.

@timfatchen - weigh in as often or seldom as you please.

• @quork  Feb 9

@brownium Iโ€™m just taking the piss out of myself. Good luck to you all.

• @glasscrow Feb 9

I will definitely not lose 14 lbs. by the end of the month because that's my ultimate goal haha, but I would like to join! I may not know what I'm doing, but I've tried to peek at the spreadsheet and I need to request access--so I will be doing that from the address that starts with "rokulie"

• @brownium  Feb 12

Hey!!! I'm down by 0.2 lbs (0.1 kg) for the first time since we started! Most of us have lost something, so good job, everybody. Keep it up!

• @bachelorb  Feb 12

Thanks for doing this... Life has gotten in the way of Fawm a bunch this year, so I'm actually concentrating on the 14 pounds in 28 days more than the 14 songs in 28 days..... ๐Ÿ˜€

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 12

I'm pretty stoked to be showing improvement too! I think normally I get WORSE during FAWM. I love that I have at least a little bit of accountability. It really helps. And it's helping me set some healthier patterns for my diet. Happy about this. I will NOT lose 14 pounds...but I might lose 7-10! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @jamkar  Feb 12

Just now got here, but I am down 3 lbs. So whatever you guys are doing is working!

• @kovbleu  Feb 12

Well, after being without my car for 2 weeks and being at the mercy of co-workers for rides to and from work so I couldn't get to the gym at lunch like my normal routine - I FINALLY got back to the gym today. I have an assessment tomorrow...we'll see how it goes. 2 and a half weeks away from the gym and I feel like I just started over today.

• @kovbleu  Feb 12

But by the end of 3 weeks there should be SOME kind of improvement now that I'm back on my game! lololol (Geeze, let's hope!)

• @radioovermoscow Feb 12

I'm not really sure fire, but since Dry January ended and alcohol consumption resumed, I've lost 2kg. Must have converted that fat into songs.

• @radioovermoscow Feb 12

*how, not fire

• @jenfoss Feb 13

If I can still be added, Iโ€™d love to join!

• @musicsongwriter Feb 13

Can't back to healthy eating GRRRRRRRRRR

• @the3queens  Feb 13

I'm in!

• @kovbleu  Feb 13

Haha @jamkar!

• @elainedimasi  Feb 14

In dedication to the brave, persevering souls in our forum thread,
    may I present this Open Source song to share:
    Carbs Against Humanity
    https://fawm.org/songs/94137/

Download your stem kit today!

• @nancyrost  Feb 18

Making progress here! I kind of hate the idea of diets and had never done one before, but I found one I like and it's working for me: https://fullplateliving.org/diet

• @the3queens  Feb 21

Do they have a forum for GAINING 14 lbs in 28 days?? That's the one I need to be on.

• @glasscrow Feb 22

Gaining does sound easier than losing, doesn't it? Bring on the burgers.

But seriously, how are you guys losing more than a pound per week??? Tell me your secrets! Just a few people are, but I'm in awe.

• @musicsongwriter Feb 22

Same here, waiting for tips although not convinced will follow but just maybe?

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 22

LOL! I've just been a bit more careful with SNACKING. I'm a notorious snacker...so, I've cut down my candy/sugary snacks.

also, I don't drink soda very often anyway, so that helps.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 22

I've almost lost 8 lbs.

• @jamkar  Feb 22

I am stuck on 4# lost. Come on guys it was working what happened?

• @musicsongwriter Feb 22

Snacks are... yes, I get it. Must stop snacking. I don't drink soda water though.

• @glasscrow Feb 23

@jamkar When I finally figured out how to do any of this properly, I dropped 4lbs. right away, but I'm sure it was just water weight because it was so rapid. I guess if it worked, just keep at it?

What kind of exercise regimens are you guys doing?

• @njihe Feb 24

It's more like + 14 pounds bc no time for proper meals or exercise

• @zxcvbnm  Feb 28

Seven pounds in 28 days, I'm happy with that. I have not been on a diet as such, I have been eating normal meals but cut out my bad habit if eating a biscuit between meals. If I stick to this I'm sure the other seven pounds will disappear before summer. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @donna  Feb 28

I admit that being ill for the first two-thirds of February has certainly helped in my own weight loss. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I've not stepped on the scales, but my jeans (and other items of clothing ) are very loose on me. YAY! Plus, I've been making a point of not snacking between meals, and of drinking a lot of water. This is something I always need to remind myself to do, because I rarely feel actual thirst. Once I'm back to my normal energy level (I hope within the next 3-4 weeks), I'll do more walking (i.e. more often) and get back to my tai chi/chi gong classes.

• @nancyrost  Mar 1

I lost seven pounds over the course of the month. Pleased to see this is possible. Thanks for the challenge, @brownium and all the other participants.

• @elainedimasi  Mar 1

I didn't end up dieting or exercising, but the daily rigor of putting weight in the spreadsheet kept me aware of all my habits. And I'm happy with that!

• @everettcinaed Mar 1

I managed 14lbs (er, from Feb.3 to Mar.1). I wasn't exactly trying for it, but it worked out. Didn't change anything other than food composition. For not specifically trying the challenge, it's nice to accomplish something!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...