New Gear?

Skip to the bottom

• @andygetch  7 weeks

Just bought a cello partly because I want one in the house so when my cello-playing friend flies in we'll be able to resume our duet practice. Partly because I also want to learn to play. I'm a complete newbie at bowed instruments so this could get interesting. EDIT: 1/19/20 This was a post in a long series from FAWM 2019 where the topic was what type of new (or new-to-you) gear will you use this FAWM. The prior posts from much earlier in 2019 were taken off in the 2020 site rest.

• @guatecoop  7 weeks

@andygetch: Well, THAT sounds like quite an undertaking. Iโ€™ve always been looking for a budget bow instrument, but havenโ€™t bought one yet. I suspect that my dog would howl at the sound anyway, just as he does with reeded instruments. Good luck on that! I hope to hear it this February

• @andygetch  7 weeks

Thanks @guatecoop the bridge setup and tuning already is a new adventure

• @edwardsmusic 6 weeks

A few days after my birthday (I was born on the 6th of November but couldn't get anything because I had a performance that day, so I bought my present on the 8th), I bought a Yamaha P-125 digital piano. I believe I'm going to use it for audio and MIDI recordings.

• @ustaknow 6 weeks

@andygetch -- I did "that", and loved it. I wound up playing for about 3 years, all self taught. I wound up doing my "own thing", like my Bow grip was a "european" style and really really preferred a Bass Bow, (bigger hands?) and out played any "High School Student" ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had purchased it for my wife, who then didn't use it and was just "killing" me, sitting there, -- wound up loving it, since tuned so differently was able to relearn the Bass Clef and sight read to play it in real time (not a paper guy, at all), -- so moved to "blues jam" with it, ala, Appocolyptica style? (their old original stuff, was Drum Kit driven, and lots of fun).

My "favorite" ? maybe...

https://youtu.be/4G3Ny7ACtqM

=======================
    Happy Birthday @edwardsmusic ! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @sonia98 5 weeks

Bought new guitar today, yaaay ๐Ÿ˜
    Have fun guys, you're the greatest.

• @sw1n3flu  4 weeks

Fender Mustang Bass, Chapman ML3-BEA T-shaped rock monster, tc Electonics pipeline tremolo pedal, xotic RC booster pedal, tone city golden Plexi pedal.... also waiting to take delivery of the JHS bonsai and JHS modded pumpkin patch big muff .... whoah... thatโ€™s way more than I had realised ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I've got a kit Tele that's part assembled... Perhaps finishing it a pre-fawm task that should not be ignored?

• @nikke88 4 weeks

On Black friday I bought Kontakt 6, loads of sound libraries and some new plug-ins.

And of course this week I ordered my first digital piano. I probably use it for arranging midi-strings and stuff like that during the next FAWM.

So basically I'm ready for FAWM.

• @sw1n3flu  4 weeks

YES @nikke88 bring on FAWM 2020

• @w1n  3 weeks

Bought some new plugins during Black Friday and Holiday sales, and I got a Arturia Keylab Essential 49 midi keyboard for next to nothing, the package had been opened but its otherwise unused. Ordered some new goldfoil pick ups for my Gibson Les Paul, I have always disliked the original super hot humbuckers.

• @headfirstonly  3 weeks

Couldn't resist picking up Arturia's Pigments 2 VST synth, which is currently on crossgrade offer for โ‚ฌ49. Reminiscent of the Roland D-50 to me; lots of tweaking possibilities and a raft of interesting presets to play with.

• @timfatchen  3 weeks

Geez... all that gear...now me, I frequent pawnshops and the seedier ebay sellers, so i have: an electric violin which you probably won't hear, A Squier Affinity strat to replace my bullet strat (gone to live with my daughter) which you probably will hear, not quite set up right, a Pacifica 112J, natural finish, sooooo enticing, and....not at all low-end pawn shop!... my beloved Cimar vintage bass, present from same said daughter.

• @postcardhelicopters  3 weeks

@w1n - It looks like we're keyboard twins, as I also sprung for the Keylab Essential 49 a couple months back -- also as "warehouse resealed" and as such discounted.

@headfirstonly - I updated Pigments a few weeks ago and didn't pay it much mind because I was working on other stuff, so it was a bit of a surprise when I saw other people cheering about the new sampler engine and I've fallen in love with it all over again. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @tsunamidaily  3 weeks

Yes. Iโ€™m ashamed to admit that I got a G&L strat AND tele from stupid deal of the day earlier this year. since then, i've also picked up a mini cajon, an amplified kick pad for stomp reinforcement, and a dubler microphone that i've yet to try out just because it had some wicked toxic fumes coming off of it when it came to me. also a 5 string music man bass, an awesome 69-style thin line tele from a pawn shop, a set of congas, and I have a pawnshop cello in the repair shop as we speak. Iโ€™m hoping my recording problems are worked out by FAWM next year and I can get to it.
    Itโ€™ll be good to see yโ€™all then!

• @tcelliott  3 weeks

I just bought the cheapest bass guitar I could find (that had decent reviews) and I'm totally impressed. It's a Harley Benton that cost me $82 plus shipping. The pickup will eventually get changed out/upgraded, but I'm damn impressed.

Tons of plugins recently. But I'm still mainly using the same ol tried and true *sigh*

• @andrewjtaylor  3 weeks

Woo, this thread is long. Wish I had the time to look through every message. Cool stuff, for sure.

Myself, I'm hoping to buy a replacement recording interface (spent a lot of time looking at the Motu M4), and MAYBE picking up a used NT1 (have an NT1A). My Presonus iTwo died as far as recording goes (output still works fine), so I'm leaving the PreSonus lane. Been using a $32 USB condenser mic, which works ok, but I have zero ability to hear myself directly, which makes things extremely difficult.

What I have: A lot of plugins I've picked up since last FAWM on deals for 50% off or more:
    Xfer: Serum (paid the $10/mo thru Splice for a year, but never used it)
    Waves: Vocal Rider, Tune Real-Time,
    iZotope: Nectar 3, Ozone 8 Standard (crazy deal at plugin boutique, only $49 still; still wonky w/ Catalina though), VocalSynth 2;
    Melodyne Essential;
    Process.Audio's Sugar

• @kristian  3 weeks

pocket operators! coolest things EVAH

• @tootoobee  3 weeks

I managed not to buy anything this year's Black Friday ๐Ÿ˜€ no new plugins (I have enough to play with). But I bought a new guitar ๐Ÿ˜€ a Godin A6 Ultra. Absolutely love it ๐Ÿ˜€

• @torsten 3 weeks

@kristian I also bought me a PO33. It's really cool. BUT: I practially didn't use it in 7 months. So besides cool I think it's not useful for me.
    What are your experiences with these little bastards? Which one do you own? Do you use it? How? What are you making with it?

• @sw1n3flu  3 weeks

@tcelliott yeah man Harley Benton do decent budget kit!!!

• @scottlake 2 weeks

Bought a Dean Boca 12 string electric since last FAWM, an expansion kit for my EZ Drummer and a progressive metal midi pack for EZ Drummer. Also swapped out my 3/4 scale acoustic guitar since last FAWm and have bought a cheap Peavey Strat copy used that I have missed to have neck/bridge pickup combination. I also bought my first standalone guitar pedal in over 20 years, in a Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive pedal, which I have currently dialed in a Journey-Lights tone with the neck pup on the Peavey.

• @torniojaws 2 weeks

A nice pair of Neumann KH 80 DSPs ๐Ÿ˜€ And a bunch of new synth expansions and plugins.

• @aesthetic72  2 weeks

I got a few Wave plug-ins, which will take all of my spare time from now until FAWM to set up because Logic and then OS updates in general. I should also get some more RAM bc my Macbook is slowing down muchly. We'll see. ๐Ÿ˜€ I've been eyeing a larger keyboard made by the same manufacturer and also a baritone uke. But the uke would take time for my fingers to get used to whereas mini keys work super well for me. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @ptr 2 weeks

I recently ordered a Boss GT-001 but received a Boss GT-100 instead. Preferred to have something small and compact to recording guitars, but decided to keep the GT-100 in the end.

Also upgraded my synth software package by Rob Papen around Black Friday time, so I have a few more synth to play around with come FAWM.

• @silvermachine  2 weeks

I got a new chair to sit on.
    I can't tell you what make or model because there's no label on it.

• @scottlake 2 weeks

I forgot I got a grip of microphones in one batch this past year. Bought in a lot for $100 from an estate sale; Rode NT1, Rode NT1A, a 2 different countryman mics, a Crown tiny mic and a couple of AKG capsules. Iโ€™m open to selling everything except the Rode mics. I have them for sale on Sweetwater used and Facebook marketplace. Open to offers for very reasonable prices. All of the countryman mics are new old stock.

• @atam94 2 weeks

Iโ€™ve been learning the ins and outs of my new Volca FM. Itโ€™s my first time really exploring sound design. Also, I bought my first bass guitar just after Christmas and am trying to get comfortable playing it.

• @scottlake 2 weeks

@atam94 you will not regret learning to play bass.

• @toms 2 weeks

@scottlake I love Rode mics! ๐Ÿ˜€ What a great find!!!

• @scottlake 2 weeks

@toms. Yes it was a great find. Both of them are in excellent condition. Neither have shock mounts.

• @tesla3090  2 weeks

I picked up a used Komplete Kontrol to upgrade my 12 year old keyboard. I'm hoping that will speed up my workflow quite a bit.

• @gubna 1 week

Been purging but added some too:
    Flashback X4 II
    Bogner Oxford fuzz
    EBMM ambient delay
    Boss Katana guitar amp
    Medusa synth
    Baritone tuned electric
    Mandolin
    Roland A49 controller
    Maybe a couple eurorack modules.

But Iโ€™m going to try my best this year to spend most of the time writing with my acoustic guitar.

I sold my Korg MS2000br synth which I did a bunch of improvised sessions with last year.

• @jamkar  1 week

I needed a guitar to work songs out on since passing off my flamenco to the grandson. Found a Martin backpacker that does the job well.

• @vomvorton  1 week

I've ordered a looper pedal with a built in drum machine. I have my first gig in about six years lined up after FAWM and I'm hoping I can write some new stuff (and / or rearrange some old stuff) using it, as I've never really enjoyed playing music live with just voice and guitar. We will see how that goes.

• @helenseviltwin  1 week

I got a MacBook Pro in December. I'm still learning logic, but bloomin' loving it so far

• @atitlan 1 week

Got a Presonus Atom drum pad at the backend of 50/90, but hadn't really learned it well enough to make use of it back then. Will certainly be on (non-sequenced) drum duty this FAWM.

Studio One updated its included version of Ampire (guitar amp/pedals) that I'll be using to enhance the occasional synth sound and all my AAS GS-2 Strum sounds.

Also picked up the Arturia plate reverb in their giveaway over Xmas and that will definitely be getting a lot of use.

• @bootlegger 1 week

@atitlan that plate reverb is great! Lots of useful sounds in it and a really nice decay. I'm loving it so far.

• @jacobeverettwallace  1 week

My birthday gift this year is a new audio interface to upgrade my very old Scarlett 2i2. I got an Audient iD44 which I'm pretty stoked about.

I'm also hoping to pick up a cheap bass for the home studio before FAWM starts.

• @radioovermoscow 1 week

I bought an electronic drumkit... but it's really fucking hard to play drums. Doubt you'll be hearing any of it on my songs... programming still rules, for now.

• @apertome 1 week

I bought an electric violin -- incredibly excited to see what I can do with it!

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

@andygetch -- i just got my cello back from the repair shop after buying it in a pawnshop. i'm looking into getting some general instruction in it at a local college that has introductory classes. typically for high school students. my intonation is ok, from playing fretless bass, and i have a general grasp on the tuning, from the mandolin, but i haven't the foggiest on how to hold the instrument or the bow. i have been checking out youtube cello instruction, but it only goes so far. what is it you play in your duet with the cellist?

• @guatecoop  1 week

@jacobeverettwallace that is a very nice upgrade. I love my Audient asp800. Their preamps are great, but the converters are excellent. You will love it.

• @postcardhelicopters  1 week

At the end of last year I wanted to try something different.

I set up my laptop computer on top of my digital piano and am calling it my "Songwriting Station." The idea is to use it as the starting point, where I don't have the full compliment of VSTs and special sauce that the main computer has.

It was working so well that I added an upgraded interface and speaker system and a "special sauce" item of its own.

The interface is the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. This fits into the "limited" idea, in that it only has two inputs and outputs. The biggest strike against this box is that the headphone jack doesn't cut signal to the main output. It wasn't a problem for me because I'd already chosen PreSonus Eris 3.5 powered monitors - again, because they are small and "limited." There is a volume knob and a headphone jack so that gets around the issue with the Scarlett Solo.

The special sauce for this setup is a "Time Cube." It's a specialized timer with four set values (5, 15, 30, 60) and you tip the cube to trigger the start. This version has the ability to signal time's up with either sound or LED so it's compatible with recording vocals.

• @aflinner 1 week

Got some new plugins Iโ€™m looking forward to trying, but I really need to get some new headphones (one of the drivers died). Also, I think tomorrow Iโ€™m gonna trade my synth for a guitar that will surely make it into some of my recordings this month. ๐Ÿ˜

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

@ustaknow -- so, did you get a french or a german upright bow? are you saying that you played a german bow in the german style, with the thumb perpendicular to the fingers? or the vienna style with the two middle fingers raised up on the frog? i'm just getting into cello so i'm looking into everything i can. my bridge seems too rounded. it is difficult for me to bow the high A string, as i have a degree of restricted motion in my right arm, so i'm going to ask about that when i take introductory lessons in a few weeks.
    anyway-- i just got the cello, so any insights you learned on bowing would benefit me greatly. thanks!

• @ustaknow 1 week

@tsunamidaily - I am most comfortable with a Bass Bow on the Cello; thumb across the top,with two middle fingers in the curve of the Frog and the pinky under, curled back, not extended. Actually it feels allot like holding a hand gun ๐Ÿ˜€ hahhh! (Maybe that's where it came from, LEO days). For me I had the most control, no hand pain and just found the larger Bow worked for me far better.

My experience with classically trained folks, even from famous schools may not be the best folks for advice, or lessons, (again, my experience) -- it's an instrument, not a "religion" and I care more about how it sounds, feels, not "looks" when I do stuff. Some have me teach their kids which I really don't understand, -- like having a butcher teach a surgeon how to cut meat. But, I have run into two Julliard graduates who took notes when I was explaining stuff to their kids on guitar and didn't understand how I changed their piano music into "guitar" music and it worked, -- we could play together.

I comment that only because I see many folks who never get past all the formal "right" way stuff not helping them do what they want to do. For me, be clear on that, listen to all, then do what works, -- the listener only cares about the music.

For me, Cello is a great riffing, improv instrument which can have infinite sustain (bowing) on a chordal tone.

-- Record Pachelbel's Cannon on some instrument, and just Jam the Chord tones to "get into the groove of it"; what I did. I like this "guys" attitude toward it, like mine, I start it mid way, you may want it from the beginning:

https://youtu.be/xV1mZ1BjKa8?t=255

• @ustaknow 1 week

@tsunamidaily -- inspiration, ?, in case, never heard of, previously:

https://youtu.be/DRVvFYppU0w

https://youtu.be/rR94NDIfGmA

• @andygetch  1 week

@tsunamidaily my friend likes to play melody and is classically trained. I bought some fakebooks (so to speak) with the melody on the bass clef for cello (Beatles, VH1 classic rock, duets for guitar and cello). A downside of the fakebooks (as the guitarist and singer) is the key is changed for easier cello playing. Also we play a few tunes from piano songbooks that we both know, a few of my tunes, and a few she had from her prior training. The key I have learned for bowing is to make sure the bow has enough tension and the bowhairs have LOTS of resin. BTW, pizzacato (play like guitar) is a valid way to play but obviously there is far less sustain.

• @metalfoot  1 week

I got a mic stand which holds 2 mics, one at guitar level, one at head level, sometime this fall, and a new set of headphones when I managed to sit on and break my recording ones over Christmas. The mic stand means I'm more likely to use the USB interface for recording, which can only be a good thing, and the new headphones are just a great thing.

• @standup  1 week

@tsunamidaily i play double bass, and use French gripโ€”I started on cello in grade school, so the German bass bow seemed foreign to me.

Good luck with the lessons, itโ€™s important with these instruments to get info on body position, movement, etc. You should definitely talk to your teacher about your range of motion and how that affects things.

I took bass lessons last year to get my playing back to a decent level after a period of neglect.

• @standup  1 week

Oh, and gear.
    Iโ€™ve been a Fender amp guy forever. But on the internets I saw a Chinese Marshall clone amp head for about $200. So now thereโ€™s that! Expect me to suddenly sound like both the Ramones and AC/DC this year.

For years also Iโ€™ve been a telecaster guy. I had no guitars with humbuckers. Well, Iโ€™ve got Gretsch pickups that are humbuckers, but theyโ€™re different. So I found a beat-to-hell Fender Jagmaster on Craigslist very cheap and upgraded the pickups with new ones from GFS. Which are also cheap.

So again, new sounds. Heavier sounds!

• @fearlessflight2014  1 week

Nothing new. ๐Ÿ˜ž not even new strings... *sigh

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

@andygetch i have actually already recorded a latin bass groove on the cello that i intend to work on for FAWM, that is pizzicato, though more rounded like jazz bass pizzicato than the sharp, precise pizzicato required for classical playing. still, not bad for having the instrument for a week or so
    thanks everyone for their input. i hope to find out today whether they take adult students, as registration is tomorrow, so i'll be cutting it close. if the group class goes well, i intend to take private lessons next term. $100 more, and 15 minutes less time per lesson, but it IS one-on-one.
    wish me luck!

• @drivelmonk  1 week

Probably the biggest improvement to my studio/gear set up came in the form of a Suhr Reactive Load Box.

If you're not a guitarist, the short version is that it allows an electric guitarist to record their loud ass amps without speakers, and therefore, without insane volume. Perfect for people in apartments, people who don't wanna piss off the people they live with, or people who can't stand the tedium of miking a speaker cabinet.

I now finally have guitar tones at home that I love. It's gonna help me mucho.

• @juoppis  1 week

A new jazz bass and couple of new drum and synth softwares. And Nectar 3 for vocals.

Oh, and a new nylon-stringed guitar.

• @toms 1 week

@drivelmonk do you like it? I was looking at a Torpedo Captor. Not terribly knowledgeable about load boxes. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @drivelmonk  1 week

@toms

I very much like it and find it very easy to use. I don't know much about them myself, but here's what I know and why I chose what I chose and what its drawbacks might be for you.

So from what I've read, "reactive" is better than "resistance" as it acts more like an amp would.

I like that the Suhr contains its own IRs as opposed to me using IRs in my DAW. This takes some burden of the CPU.

However, downsides for you might include the fact that it only wants 8 ohms. It doesn't have options for different ohms. I got around this by buying a Weber Switcher box.

The other downside is that it can't contain any IR longer than 20ms. If you upload a longer one, it truncates it. I have not had luck finding 20 ms IRs aside from the ones provided by Suhr, which sound GREAT, mind you, but you're not gonna be able to use "room mic" iRs because of how long they are.

That's about all I have. It has its limitations, but you can do a ton with what it gives you and it fit my budget. :-

• @bootlegger 1 week

20ms IRs?! Woah that's short! That's awesome that it's working for you though!

• @bodger0ne 1 week

through the magic of being "that techie guy who can fix stuff" at work, I've ended up with a Novation Launchpad, so going to try and work out ways of implementing that as a drumpad along with a USB to Guitar Lead cable, and my trusty Bosca Ceoil free software for chiptuney sounds.

Lets see if i can produce anything decent sounding lol

• @toms 1 week

@drivelmonk Thank you, that is excellent information. I have a resistive box from eons ago (the Power Tool) and am absolutely looking to get a reactive one. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @scottlake 1 week

Just bought a used Electroharmonix Lester G Leslie speaker sim pedal. Mostly to use with the drawbar organ simulator on my Casio XW-P1

• @scottlake 1 week

And after 20+ years of haunting the PG Music forums, I bought Band in a Box

• @guatecoop  1 week

@scottlake those pedals are awesome! I use a Leslie speaker cabinet for guitar a lot, but @zecoop uses one for his Hammond and it is GREAT.

• @scottlake 1 week

@guatecoop someday Iโ€™m going to get an M series Hammond with waterfall keys. I play an M3 at church; well I play at it; and itโ€™s a blast.

• @boyatheart 1 week

A lot of changes to my guitar setup. New guitars (mostly assembled from parts and cheap Squiers) and also a new amp, which I got during FAWM last year, but didn't get it out ofthe box until after Feb. because I was against the FAWM clock.

I have an entire rig (pedals and amplifier) on a pedalboard, which is my bread & butter for playing live and recording. It ticks pretty much every box and I was able to travel to my New Year's Eve gig by motorbike with my entire rig (minus the speaker cab).

Notable additions are a new Squier Hardtail Bullet Strat rewired, refinished and upgraded, so I now have two of those (best workhorse guitars I've had for years).
    A dual humbucker Strat and a traditional-style Strat both built from surplus parts and an Open G 5-string guitar built from salvaged/scrap parts.
    The pedal/amp rig is a small, but well-featured Hotone Britwind, 2-channel amp plus some simple effects and enough gain options to go from Nile Rodgers clean all the way up to Neil Young/Crazy Horse.

• @zecoop  1 week

@scottlake - Not sure what waterfall keys are but I have an M-100 and use the Lester K pedal - LOVE it. It's awesome on the organ, obviously, but also on guitar piano and even makes cheap Casios sound cool (ok, I already love how Casios sound, as you know). ๐Ÿ˜€

• @jamkar  1 week

@zecoop waterfall keys have a smooth edge to them in early Hammond organs. They were popular for using palm runs since later, the keys were made with a sharp edge. Waterfall enjoyed a resurgence in the newer clone wheel organs.

• @zecoop  1 week

Thanks @jamkar - I'll have to check mine out! Assuming maybe they are waterfall keys since it's from around 1960? I have certainly done palm runs... not that I am any good at organ, but they sure do sound great, especially with the Lester K pedal set on fast. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @paulhenry  1 week

Xaphoon, which I canโ€™t play (yet. Hope springs eternal). Akai MPK mini mkII. Artiphon Instrument 1. But Iโ€™m writing lyrics only this year, so go figure.

• @feeslip58  1 week

Got an electric guitar. A non standard telecaster, a couple months ago. This is my second guitar I have owned. Been playing an acoustic always before. This has sent me off in new directions.

• @alonetogether 1 week

I've picked up so many weird instruments from working at a thrift store in the last year and im excited to try some out.

highlights include - tenor recorder, the pipe part of a bagpipe, and a little stringed instrument made from a coconut

• @guatecoop  1 week

As usual, I have added several things for this year. The most interesting, from my POV, is a Danelectro baritone guitar. I am so excited to add different sounds with this. I have played it some, but typically write new songs very quickly on new instruments, so I stopped. I also got a Hohner Melodica for a gift. I am excited to use this, but my dog howls at every reeded instrument that I have--accordions, harmonicas, and a Farfisa Pianorgan. I will give it a shot, though.... maybe have the dog go to my in-laws for a day or two and create a reeded instrument song extravaganza!! I am also hoping that some old tube preamps and console channel strips that are being worked on will be done by Feb 1. I love to use new instruments and equipment, too.
    I also have added some pedals....I am not much of a pedal guy, but they will probably get some use. I'm excited for FAWM.

• @aeye 1 week

Added a few Heavyocity plugins to our arsenal, Izotope iris 2, Massive X and I think that's about it? Still have a pretty big wishlist though but I'll be waiting for another sale.

• @tiller2  6 days

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 gen 3 to convert to a laptop DAW, replacing a Tascam unit. I got a free 1971 Fender Vibrolux amp from the city e-cycling, and paid $250 to get it working properly.

• @toms 6 days

Free + 250 clams for a 71 vibrolux!!!! WOW. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @plog  6 days

Using my Force this year, only a month into it. It's like free learning. Also sampling from microfreak and maybe a bit of nature.. See how it goes..

• @scottlake 6 days

My workplace just disposed of some core i5 PCs with m
    No memory or OS. I grabbed one to maybe try a Linux box with it

• @spingo  6 days

Since last year, I've gotten and kind of abandoned a thinline Squier Tele that I just can't get to sound right. I went back to my old Fernandes Tele.

I got a Boss Katana Mini, a Casio SA-76 mini keyboard, a Mosky Black Rat pedal I love, and a Korg Monologue, and those will show up! If I don't just do lazy voice memo demos again.

• @pipewrench67 6 days

I think I need one of these this year

• @zecoop  6 days

New Gear.... Yes.
    (no comment other than that for legal and household happiness reasons) ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @sbs2018 6 days

I had gotten Ableton Live 10 Standard during 50/90 but upgraded to Suite for Christmas and have been cramming for FAWM. I think I need Push but wonโ€™t be able to get it until later. So I may be using Logic Pro for FAWM. Not sure yet. Or maybe a Hybrid.

• @mikeb 6 days

Not 'gear', per se, but I've got a whole new practice and recording room! For the first time ever, a ro0m dedicated to music (with a futon sofa in case of guests!)

• @b00n  6 days

Ugh. Too much.

• @wacha  5 days

My wife but ight my a stylaphone. Not sure if it will make an appearance btnim going to try to use it.

• @alyxanderjames  5 days

I just started learning how to play the mountain dulcimer a couple of weeks ago (partner's aunt had one lying around that she wasn't using; she gave it to partner's dad who also didn't use it, so he let me bring it back to Chicago with me at Xmas), so we'll see if that makes an appearance. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @toms 5 days

@pipewrench67 I thought that was fake! Reverb has a video about it! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @looprication  5 days

I got some more RAM and a new video card for Indigo, my studio computer, a Moog Mother 32, and a few other Eurorack modules that are finally starting to make sense. The former should speed things up. The latter will definitely slow things down ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @tiller2  4 days

@toms I was the next car dropping off computer screens for e-cycling, after someone unloaded the dirty but intact vibrolux. I saw it was a Silverface something, and asked the workers if I could have it. I cleaned it but got an expert to go over it: It needed a new power cord, one tube, and new caps. I've heard about people finding amazing gear at yard sales; I guess this was my turn...

• @torniojaws 4 days

In addition to the new monitor speakers, which sound awesome, I also upgraded the acoustics of my room ๐Ÿ˜€ Can't wait for Feb 1, and awesomely it is a Saturday!

• @rossdurand  4 days

Picked up this little beaut today at the Amigos Guitar Show in Costa Mesa. I am hoping it will give me a little extra energy for writing next month ๐Ÿ˜€
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FBH4dkkuCWV...

• @snort  4 days

Couple New Guitars (Gibson LP Traditional "Bob"), US Masters Bass, Ibanez RG 550; Trying a new audio interface for guitar recording (Line 6 HX Stomp); new version of recording software (Presonus Studio One).

• @tjfafterdark 4 days

Picked up most of the Abbey Road recording plugins in the suite that Waves offers. Very nice set up and feel. Really excited to use them.

• @mikeb 4 days

Here's a 'squashed' panoramic of my new music room:
    https://imgur.com/XmykMIr

And all my instruments ready for action:
    https://imgur.com/oogsoC1

• @guatecoop  4 days

Goodness @mikeb that is great! Iโ€™m jealous of how you are ready to go! Looks like a nice space to work in. Do you typically use every instrument?

• @sw1n3flu  4 days

Agreed @guatecoop .... @mikeb roll on Feb!!

• @ustaknow 4 days

@mikeb -- only one Bass?! No harmonica, or Cello! ๐Ÿ˜‰

-- Very nice, you are very fortunate! And, "allowed" to do it too! (I'm lucky that way too.)

• @carleybaer  4 days

This will be my first FAWM running Logic Pro, with AKG mixing headphones and PreSonus studio monitors. Seriously, the most legit recording setup in my whole FAWM life. Also got a new piano, which I'm only just now learning to play. Wheeeee!!

• @mikeb 3 days

@ustaknow - yes, only 1 bass - that's all I need! There's a case of 5 harmonicas' on the shelf behind the keyboard! Cello - funny, I saw one on FB Marketplace the other day, but I haven't figured out the fiddle yet (and I got it last February). No 'allow' needed, moved into a new place, just need to be respectful of the neighnors (no late night jamming).
    @guatecoop - I try, but will probably not use all the guitars, I have my favorites.

• @owl  3 days

I got myself a ridiculous new guitar recently:
    https://voxamps.com/product/starstrea...

it can impersonate various acoustics or 12-strings, a banjo, a sitar, a resonator, some kind of bad-sounding synths, and it has a sustainer for long ebow-like notes. I've only recorded one song with it so far (using "12-string" + humbucker and fake Strat in-between pickups), but will do hopefully get a chance to use it on many more this FAWM! Also, as just a regular plain old guitar without modeling, it has humbuckers and a tremolo, neither of which feature on my other guitar (a Telecaster).

Also, I've acquired a LOT of fun plugins since last FAWM... most recently these radioactive pianos sampled onsite at Chernobyl:

https://strixinstruments.com/pripyat-...

but also some more heavy hitters like Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope Ozone + some of the other Izotope Elements stuff, and Melodyne Essential. And a new acoustic (steel-string, parlor size) guitar too, acquired last summer.

• @zecoop  3 days

@owl - That. Guitar. Is. Crazy. Cool. ๐Ÿ˜

• @owl  3 days

@zecoop None of the effects really sounds that great on it, but it's really fun to play around with! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @dragondreams  3 days

A complete rebuild of Dragondreams "Lucky Thirteen" guitar amplifier. Thirteenth iteration of my now infamous "T'Watt" range of amplifiers. I think I'm finally getting close to the sound I hear in my head. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @zecoop  3 days

@owl - Iโ€™m an old-school Casio/Yamaha PSS lover... great songs donโ€™t need amazing/perfect sounds, lol. Tons of different sounds will inspire you. Iโ€™m looking forward to hearing it!

• @dreamscuba  3 days

@dragondreams Looking forward to hearing some "T'Watt" spanking music!!

• @oddbod  3 days

I just ordered a new mic stand.

Yes I know itโ€™s asking a lot, but maybe this hunk of unspecified metal and plastic WILL inspire me to new songwriting heights!!

*punches the air and whoops*

• @sapient  3 days

@owl Those Pripyat Pianos... oh boy...

Most of my new purchases have been guitar pedals. The majority of them are super easy to use. The Meris Enzo though is an absolute beast, and I've not even scratched the surface of what it can do. Apparently you can hook it to a MIDI controller and actually play the damn thing like a synth... I'm just a humble guitarist. This is too much for my tiny brain...
    https://www.meris.us/product/enzo/

• @metalfoot  3 days

@sapient I look forward to your 80s synth-wave tracks played completely on guitar!

• @aeye 3 days

@sapient I think @metalfoot is on to something here

• @w1n  2 days

@owl the Pripyat Piano library seems really interesting. Think I'll buy it, always on the lookout for interesting sounds and textures. The guitar also seems fun.
    @sapient I also bought the Meris Enzo, really cool unit but I never really found a really good use for it, so swapped it for a Strymon Flint and a El Capistan pedal instead. Really recommend the Meris Preset Switch or other midi switchers for live use.

• @owl  1 day

@sapient @w1n the Pripyat Pianos VST seems a little buggy (stuff like error messages, wrong file paths, and usability issues in the interface in Kontakt, but this could all be at least partly user error) but I think they sound good! They have some other cool instruments on that site as well, like pianos they sampled while burning/shooting/blowing them up and a flute made of a human thighbone. I didn't buy any of the others. You can hear one of the Pripyat pianos on this track if you're curious about hearing them in action: http://www.songfight.org/music/checke...

and the song I mentioned above that I recorded with the "12-string" guitar and electrics from the Vox Starstream can be heard here, but the sitar is a VST:
    http://www.songfight.org/music/someth...

• @owl  1 day

plus the electric guitar on this cover I recorded over the weekend uses the Starstream sustainer in combination with various effects from Guitar Rig, but the acoustic is real:

https://miscellaneousowl.bandcamp.com...

• @scottlake 15 hours

About a week ago I bought an Electroharmonix Lester G Leslie speaker simulator. I bought it primarily to use with my Casio XW-:P1 keyboard, which as a tonewheel organ simulator built in, except the Leslie speaker emulator is useless. I have played my XW-P1 through a GSi Burn leslie simulator, but those are no longer made. So this Lester G was really cheap used at the local Guitar Center. I gave it a little workout tonight. My chops are not there, but the sound is quite good IMO. See what you think. https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/w...

• @sbs2018 1 hour

Okay, so I went for the OVOX and then I downloaded Mainstage 3, too, after somebody recommended the additional loops/plug-ins. Don't really know what I'm doing with either one, yet, but I figure FAWM will be the time to figure it out.

• @lowhum 59 mins

Got new mandolin strings - D'Addario - most expensive I ever bought!. Comes February - I put them on!

• @tamsnumber4  33 mins

I now own a nylon string guitar, hope it makes its debut in FAWM.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...