FAWM first year 2012-er's

Skip to the bottom

• @andygetch  Jan 17

My first FAWM was 2012 so that makes this year eight for me. When I signed up I only knew one person from another much smaller song-a-week challenge and I had only been participating in online songwriting for a few months. Now I wouldn't miss it. Who else was new in 2012?

• @yam655 Jan 17

My profile says I would have been new in 2012, but I got an account so I could listen to stuff that was restricted to FAWMers. It wasn't until 2014 that I did my first FAWM.

• @andygetch  Jan 18

Very cool @yam655 when I started this thread I didn't think about people who signed up in 2012 but didn't write til a later year. Also works for me if 2012 was the first FAWM somebody wrote in. Since threads seem to get buried quickly I took a quick trip through profiles and it turns up @snoozin @wobbiewobbit @chandra83 @arthurrossi @jessicagraae @kristi @jamkar @erinkelsey3 @stuartbenbow @petemurphy @cindyrella @bradbrubaker @guatecoop as first signing up in 2012. Wow, I am honored to be among such a group of writers! In 2012 didn’t do a whole lot of listening, commenting, songwriting games or forum stuff. I barely eeked out 12 full songs a couple instrumentals, a couple lyrics only, and one collab.

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 18

yep 2012 was my first FAWM. I had been stuck and blocked for years, I wrote 4 songs ( http://wobbiewobbit.com/collections/b... ) and one of them (Inspirational You) I still do live. It certainly got me unstuck and I have been hooked on FAWM and 5090 since. Last year was the first time I hit the magic 14 😀

• @guatecoop  Jan 18

That list of 2012ers that @andygetch dug up is quite a group!! I’m also pleased and honored to be in it! Looking forward to another FAWM. This year is no different in that I am in my typical mindset that each day is a polar opposite of the previous. One day I think I will write heaps of music and the next I believe that I will utterly fail with nothing. At least I’m consistent in this from year to year and then FAWM begins and all is well. Unexpected results every year, but results.

• @timfatchen  Jan 18

Amazing. My memory says the @andygetch group list has been here forever! So they must have had impact! (I go back to 2007).

• @andygetch  Jan 18

Wow @wobbiewobbit I had only been writing for about two years with maybe 20 total songs up until that first FAWM. Glad FAWM helped you get unstuck, it certainly helped me find the accelerator, second, third, and fourth gears. @guatecoop I also vacillate between feeling unstoppable and like an utter failure. Thanks for the kind words about our 'class' @timfatchen.

• @bradbrubaker  Jan 18

Yep, my first FAWM was 2012. I'd heard of FAWM for years, but only ever after it was over. Then I hopped aboard. Been doing it ever since.

Back then, I was new to home recording having only attempted it in failed spurts before. I recorded in Audacity, had no (fake) drums, and recorded a bass line by playing it on my guitar and pitch shifting it an octave down. Nowadays, I'm on my second Apple laptop--no. 1 was a casualty to a break-in this past summer--and do everything in Garageband, even composing some non-guitar tunes now and again thanks to the magic of post-performance correction technology. Been rocking the Zoom H2 mic this whole time, may it never die.

If I recall, 2012 was a 14-and-a-half song year? It was also the year of endless interpretations of @duaneclancy's lyrics "Dog's Messin' With a Skunk Again," which is still one of my favorite FAWM memories.

Like @wobbiewobbit, one song from that first year is still in my set lists. Hoping to finally record it full band in the

• @snoozin  Jan 19

I started FAWM in 2012 with the intention of writing maybe 3 or 4 songs. I had had a long drought of creative ideas and thought this might 'pull the trigger'. Well I was hooked and I think I wrote 27 songs. Surprised the heck out of myself. I still remember the skirmish prompt 'Accidental Elephants' (i think that was in 2012. Anyway I guess I drank the water and here I am in my 8th year. Made many friends and wouldn't miss this for anything. I love February and FAWM!

• @jamkar  Jan 19

I remember thinking, wow I 'm late for the party. Pretty sure @wolfkier and @tinam were already here, as was @dd and @gerrybhoi .

• @andygetch  Jan 19

@jamkar thanks!

• @petemurphy  Jan 19

Yeah, I'm a 2012'er.

Previously I had been writing around 5 - 10 songs per year. In February 2012 I wrote 14 or 15, and I credit FAWM with changing the course of my musical life, not just because of the amount of songs written, but also because of the support and kindness of the people here.

It took a long time for me to gain confidence with my music, and if it weren't for the FAWM community I might still not have found that confidence.

• @bradbrubaker  Jan 19

@petemurphy, now I'm curious what you mean by "changed the course of your musical life"? That's awesome regardless of the meaning.

• @dragondreams  Jan 20

Class of 2011 here, @jamkar. 😉

• @petemurphy  Jan 21

Hi @bradbrubaker !

Well I used to be a timid, self deprecating guitar player / sideman, who would never release any of my own music.

Although there are a couple of other things that helped, I give FAWM a great deal of credit for turning me into a confident, all round musician who is about to release his 15th album.

I guess you could say that FAWM helped me to find the artist within.

• @andygetch  Jan 21

@petemurphy thats beautiful!

• @guatecoop  Jan 21

That is fantastic, @petemurphy !

• @bradbrubaker  Jan 21

Thanks for sharing, @petemurphy!

• @ductapeguy Jan 21

I missed the boat on this one. I was class of 2013.

• @tawalker  Jan 21

@ductapeguy Yes, my first FAWM was 2013 too (although I did 50/90 in 2012). I had to "bale out" in 2015 after two songs, and "sat out" 2018 (both for family reasons), so 2019 would be my fifth FAWM.

• @andygetch  8 weeks

@ductapeguy @tawalker no worries chime in if ya like on why FAWM is special enough to keep coming back for your 7th year. BTW ICYMI there is a 2013 thread https://fawm.org/forums/topic/8657/#c...

• @sunnymae  8 weeks

Im a 2012-er. I was so blown away and in such a state. I went into this little bubble and although I didn't post anything A. because I didn't know how to and B because I just didn't think... I don't know..it was just such a private thing for me and so profound that I wrote day and night that whole month didn't post a thing. I have a collection of those songs. It was an amazingly magical time for me I didn't start posting until the year after, or even the year after that. I guess I was an active lurker. I have come to mark the passage of time with this group. It continues to be extremely important to me on so many levels. I enter into it each year with the same doubts and trepidation that I might not bring anything to the table. And every year I'm surprised. I'm hoping the same thing can happen in a new and exciting way this year.

• @andygetch  8 weeks

Very cool @sunnymae 😀 Thanks for sharing and glad to hear of the progress.

• @sw1n3flu  8 weeks

@petemurphy in case you didn’t already know... you rock

• @stuartbenbow  8 weeks

Glad to be counted on that list. It’s been a fun ride, with a dramatic improvement on my end. That first 2012 FAWM was rough, with me crawling across the finish line with absolute garbage lyrics.

• @erinkelsey3 8 weeks

Man, what a stellar group! Go 2012! I also feel like my first FAWM changed my musical life and quite possibly my whole life. It was like someone had given me permission to be an authentically creative person, with very few rules. And I was thrown into a world of wildly talented and supportive people. I love thinking about that slightly rough, raw first year. All hail FAWM!!!

• @jinxcat 7 weeks

2012 was my first year too! I only ended up with 3 songs, but that was more than I'd ever had before, so go me! Got 6 the year following, but I've not done well ever since. February is not really the best month for me, what with travel and an event that I attend/staff. I'm not home for 2-3 weeks, and it makes it rather difficult to accomplish anything creative. But I wanna keep trying!

• @sw1n3flu  7 weeks

Joined in 2011 and managed ONE song.... 2012 was my first proper year, completed the 14.5 song target, participated in a skirmish or two as well as the explore the core challenge. First time I had managed to record a demo properly, and that was only using GB for iPad (which was much more basic than the current version). I found the comments really encouraging and immersed myself in the community... I guess 2012 was when I "got" FAWM.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...