The 2019 Geezer Thread

Skip to the bottom

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

I'm 50 and now I know why everyone (well, ~half~ of everyone) was laughing when we used to position the Geezer Thread's velvet rope at age 40.

Which we still totally do! Rock on, Geezers! =Deposit wisdom here!=

* hides laughter *

• @pearlmanhattan  4 weeks

I will turn 53 between now and when FAWM starts. I don't feel like a Geezer - and I got carded for cigarettes this morning - clerk said I looked under 35. But here I am. I may not look the years, but I feel 'em. so... sign me up for AARP and call me Ma'am please.

• @resonut123 4 weeks

61 on February 3rd 2019.
    Becoming an old geezer, would be cool to have it be my non de plume like Geezer Butler.

• @andygetch  4 weeks

still spry at 59. One saving grace is that I am often the youngest at a local singer-songwriter circle.

• @scottlake  4 weeks

• @toms  4 weeks

Proud to be 57 in about as many days as you have fingers, as long as you have 2 extra fingers on each hand. Doesn't seem at all geezerish to me... πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  4 weeks

52 and I don't look or feel like it, although I wouldn't care if I did. I looked 10 in high school, and am appreciating it now. I have tons of hobbies and am really active all the time. Can't wait to retire so I can be really busy with life's fun stuff! πŸ˜€

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

@zecoop When my Dad retired at 62 he said he kept so busy he had no idea how he'd ever had time to work. He's 84 now and just made me a cool table out of a Klipsch speaker cab! Mom is 77 and still running her online business selling handmade doll clothes. Here's to being really busy!

• @zecoop  4 weeks

@elainedimasi - 55 is the plan, so here's hoping! (There may have been some long time planning for that, actually) I've seen WAY too many people retire late and then either die or be unable physically to do what they want. Life is not for working... life is for life. πŸ˜€

• @pipewrench67  4 weeks

i'll be hitting 52 in a little over a month (midFAWM). I still have hair apparently by the time you hit 52 that makes you look younger.

• @sbs2018 4 weeks

Youngsters all - lol! When my father-in-law was in his 80s, he talked about the β€œold geezers” in the coffee shop who were probably in their 90s. He just passed at 95 right before the new year.

• @kahlo2013  4 weeks

No geezer here! Pushing only 60 and will enter that new decade during 5090...Feeling more intellectually and emotionally more energetic and creative than ever... Physically my joints remind me that I’m not as young as my head and heart think I am...but all works well enough to keep on drumming and strumming!

• @spingo  4 weeks

Certainly geezish here at 51. I didn't play music from like 35 to 47 and didn't realize how much I missed it. Now I have a stack of new songs thanks to last year's FAWM and 50/90 and a band! Rock on, my gray friends.

• @ductapeguy 4 weeks

Last year, I released an album as my 50th Birthday party/present to myself. 51 now.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  4 weeks

46. I'm pre-geezer?

• @stephenwordsmith 4 weeks

• @timfatchen  4 weeks

I have an old coin which I will toss now as to whether to applaud all these young folk and their comments (above) or to get out the clay figurines, their nameplates, and a box of sewing needles.

• @fuzzy  4 weeks

I'm 51.
    That's not old, right? Right??

• @standup  4 weeks

52. Some days I feel older than others.

• @mikeskliar  4 weeks

During Feb I will be turning 59 (and if you add five and nine, it adds up to - 14!, ,and also, since i started doing fawm in 2006, this year will be my... yes...14th fawm (how's that for meta-fawmness!) 14 for the win! πŸ˜€

• @kahlo2013  4 weeks

@mikeskliar it is like your Golden FAWM! Too bad there’s not much going on in politics to write about....πŸ€ͺ

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

@kahlo2013 * spit-take *

• @tuneslayer2018  4 weeks

Let's see . . . the calendar thinks I'll be 64 in March, my body thinks I'm 198, my brain thinks I'm still 25, Google thinks I'm 10 thanks to my grandson who logs into Youtube under my account and loves fart videos, and my grandkids think I'm older than dirt because that's what I tell them and they believe everything I say (koff, koff).

Actually, regardless of age, I knew I qualified for geezerdom when I saw that all the music I liked was in the 3/$10 bin at our local department store. And again when I figured out that I can't remember the last time I bought a physical mainstream CD.

• @quork  4 weeks

55. When I grow up I’m going to be Bob Dylan.

• @sph  4 weeks

I really like the first line of Porcupine Tree's song Time Flies: "I was born 67, the year of Sgt.Pepper and Are You Experienced".
    To be more specific: when I was born "I'm a believer" topped the charts

• @dragondreams  4 weeks

58 (59 in May) but still keep getting told to "grow up" by my daughters. πŸ˜‚

Had a virtual equivalent of being carded a couple of years ago when someone in the Slack chatroom told me they thought I had to be a teenager after they'd listened to my music. πŸ˜‚

• @leepat  4 weeks

I thought I knew what a geezer is, but I guess I'm yet to learn.
    Here's a thought from yesterday:
    the older we get the further ahead we plan (even while our window is getting smaller)...
    what do you say?

• @wobbiewobbit  4 weeks

I turned 50 last april and had the honour of meeting (and playing some of our collaborations) 3 Fawmers for the first time at my party - @dragondreams @headfirstonly and @jibbidy34, can't believe I am nearly 51, sounds so grown up.

• @timfatchen  4 weeks

"When I grow up" say so many. "Hope I die before I get old" sez I, thus hopelessly dating myself. But, as I aint'nt dead, I cain't be old yet, right?

• @chipwithrow  4 weeks

@pearlmanhattan - I signed up for AARP a few months ago! I'll be 53 in March. And even though my wife is not yet 50 (48 this year), she's an oldster by marriage because now she is in AARP too.
    @andygetch - I thought you were just a year or two older than I am. Same with you, @mikeskliar - although we've never met in person I feel I know you well from all these FAWMs and 5090s. But I see Andy is person every week, doing yoga and playing music. He's spry for an old guy!

• @silvermachine  4 weeks

You all American? Where I came from a geezer is a bloke, it's working class slang for a man. Often a 'tasty' one, ie: not averse to a bit of violence. I thought this thread was gonna be a bout planning a bank job.
    I've never heard of a woman being a 'geezer'.
    That's what 3,000 miles of ocean can do to a word.
    Yeah I'm an old geezer, 65 actually.

• @barbara  4 weeks

58, and *finally* planning ahead a bit, @leepat, proof of your concept!
    Decades aren't looking as long as they used to... (Geezer Thoughts).

• @timfatchen  4 weeks

Dammit I had hopes for @silvermachine especially given his correction to our American cousins, but no...he's just another young pup too.

@timfatchen Blimey mate you aint older than me are you?
    What a lovely feeling πŸ˜€

• @timfatchen  4 weeks

@barbara , 58 is too late to plan. We tried and the GFC hit us, so it was a pointless exercise. Far better to throw yourself on the wings of chaos and float above the mob! @silvermachine enjoy your lovely feeling 'cos it doesn't last long, I can tell you, 13 FAWMs on...

• @mishykatz  4 weeks

February 20- 61 this year
    I love February <3

• @scottlake  4 weeks

@silvermachine there’s a song waiting in your description of geezer.

@scottlake Hah, I think there's a film waiting in their aswell. πŸ˜€
    Starring Michael Caine.

• @fuzzy  4 weeks

Hey,@silvermachine, we can put a plan in motion if you'd like; I've always wanted to rob a bank.
    I'm not sure about "a bit of violence", though; I tend to cry when I get hurt.

Ok @fuzzy so we need a bank that accepts non violence as a valid form of withdrawal.

• @tuneslayer2018  4 weeks

@silvermachine it just goes to show you, America and Britain are two countries divided by a common language. I remember well when I was working overseas and one of my British mates asked if I wanted him to knock me up in the morning. Where i grew up, that was neither possible nor desirable.

• @nancyrost  4 weeks

Fawm has had a girl band and a boy band. I think it's time for a geezer band.

• @nancyrost  4 weeks

Possible band name: The Hip Replacements.

@nancyrost The Hip Replacements, hah! Yeah I like it.

@tuneslayer2018 Haha that's a classic, mate!

• @ralphhogaboom 4 weeks

I'm either 41 or 42, cba to do the math. If 40 is the velvet rope, then I look forward to hanging out with the other littlest geezers at the li'l geezers table.

• @bking  4 weeks

Golden years my backside. More like rusty. I've decided to count the years in hexadecimal. That makes me 41!

• @atitlan  4 weeks

@pearlmanhattan must have been born pretty close to when I was. I also turn 53 between now and the start of FAWM. The only thing that really tells me what my age is, is the memory of events that happened that only someone my age could have lived through.

Can't I just be the age I feel instead? πŸ˜€

• @tootoobee  4 weeks

52 (only occasionally feeling a bit old) πŸ˜€ Still a lot to do, musically ...

• @scottlake  4 weeks

@nancyrost my wife just had a hip replacement yesterday.

• @scottlake  4 weeks

In fact I’m waiting at the pharmacy right now for all of her discharge meda

• @scottlake  4 weeks

*meds

• @timfatchen  4 weeks

@atitlan Being the age you feel only works up to the point bits start falling off or people keep stabbing your eyeballs and sticking temporary bits of plastic in. Especially first thing in the morning. But being the age you think in, ah, that's a different thing! "You are old, father William..."

• @timfatchen  4 weeks

@scottlake All the best to your wife. She'll be amazed, truly.

• @majordanby  4 weeks

This geezer thread has reached its fifties!

• @tseaver  4 weeks

I turn SM-57 this year! Rock on!

• @atitlan  4 weeks

@timfatchen Well, yes. Given that I've somehow ended up the wrong side of 50, that sentiment is subject to review as soon as the age I feel and the age I am start to converge πŸ˜€

• @stevenwesleyguiles  4 weeks

@tseaver LOL. πŸ˜€

• @srcoops 4 weeks

I think most of you have misrepresented yourselves. Things like WW2 and FDR don't even register with you. I was alive when Benny Goodman took that leap of faith and put on a jazz concert at Carnegie Hall.(1938) I went to college on the Korean GI Bill. My wife and I have been married longer than you have been alive (61years) So don't slow down, you aren't anywhere near old enough for that. Take this from this 82 year old.

• @andygetch  4 weeks

@chipwithrow its all the stuff from the market πŸ˜€

• @kahlo2013  4 weeks

@scroops Thanks for the perspective and inspiration! Looking forward to your creative contributions!

• @nancyrost  4 weeks

@scottlake Wishing her a speedy recovery. She should front our band!

• @johnstaples  4 weeks

I'm not going to admit to being eligible for a Geezer Club membership but if you were to check my posts on the "A is for Abba" thread or my wastebin for hair dye receipts, you could probably figure out my age!

• @pearlmanhattan  4 weeks

@johnstaples j hair dye receipts don't count, Been dying my hair since I was 15, ...and ...i've known many who were full grey by 35. You're, timeless, man. 😁

• @zecoop  4 weeks

Amen to my awesome dad!!! @srcoops has been rocking FAWM with me and others since 2011 as a spry 75 year old!! πŸ˜€

• @timfatchen  4 weeks

@srcoops it's now MY turn to feel better. I'm down to single figures in the monthly countdown to the three-score-years-and-ten and that bony guy in the overly theatrical cloak gives me the heebiejeebies. Besides, the sound of scythe-sharpening sets what teeth I have left on edge. I mean, who uses a scythe these days? (I used to, but that was then...)

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

Did you know that the Geezer Thread 2019 is over 65 already? How time flies!

Is it February yet? I broke my glasses.

• @andygetch  4 weeks

@nancyrost I am wondering if the Hip Replacements will do an updated cover of Treatment Bound πŸ˜€

• @scubed  4 weeks

@srcoops, you rock!! πŸ˜€ What a great perspective!

I could have been a flower girl at your wedding. I'll be 64 later this year.

• @klaus  3 weeks

55 and counting. You can call me a Geezer. Just don't call my music Dad Rock. πŸ˜€

All my favorite artists and bands are either dead or old and fat. All the artists and bands I dislike are alive and look great. It's so unfair! πŸ˜€

• @jcuempire  3 weeks

I'll turn 58 during the second week of FAWM. "Turning" an age is a weird concept. It seems to indicate you have a choice. I see it more as stumbling.

• @postcardhelicopters  3 weeks

So, this month I'll be moving the marker from 56 to 57.

Does it count for "double-geezer" status to have been stopping by this place since 2006?

• @chasingandromeda  3 weeks

59, turning 60 on the Ides of March. So far, I'm doing much better with the day than Caesar.

• @generalist 3 weeks

When I first saw the Geezer thread I figured that I would find people my ate in it. The first post made me feel old. Then I found someone who was born in the same decade that I was, so things were better.

Back in September 2018 I reached an age mentioned by a Beatles song. When I first heard the song I thought the age was old. Now that I'm here, it doesn't seem that old.

By the same token my dad, who is in his early 90s, declared that he IS going to do Spokane's Bloomsday 12K run and is in training. He i sup to three miles a day.

• @toms  3 weeks

@generalist , that is fabulous about your dad.

• @jwhanberry  3 weeks

@srcoops at least one player older than me. 71 last year. Fun coming out to play with all these kids!

• @calumcarlyle  3 weeks

You know in Britain "geezer" just means a man of any age, often it means a slightly dodgy man in fact, making a bit of money on the black perhaps!

Anyway, i'll be 42 this year, so i'm hoping to finally discover the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything...

• @timfatchen  2 weeks

@calumcarlyle ...somehow I always picture you as a bovver boy, and I can't make geezer fit! Nothing to do with reality, of course.

• @timfatchen  2 weeks

@jwhanberry So glad you've pushed me another notch down the ladder. When the guy with the scythe comes knocking (every other night), I can just point up the line, right?

• @jwhanberry  2 weeks

@timfatchen I'm doing all I can to keep my place on the ladder. There are just not enough old people being born.

• @coolparadiso  2 weeks

I think only a couple are older than me! Great hope still with people like SRcoops out there (and if he writes a few make sure you do a collab )

• @max  2 weeks

Thanks to the wise words of Coop Sr. I will join this thread no sooner than FAWM2045.

• @downburst  2 weeks

53 and have been known to geeze--but it doesn't feel real that I'm this old. Grateful there are people even older here. I'm retiring this May! Teaching my last ever class at this here university, and I have senioritis (in the high school sense) so bad.

• @timfatchen  2 weeks

Ah @max ! 2045?! It doesn't matter if you stay young at heart! Besides, who's to say when the proverbial run-over-by-a-bus bus will arrive? (there's one keeps stopping at my gate every couple of months lately, but I wave it on or ignore it until it goes away and runs over someone elese)

• @tiller2  2 weeks

59 years young.

• @oblivionratula  2 weeks

I turn 45 in just over a week - looks like there are a few late-Jan/early-Feb birthday neighbors here!

And what's this talk of hair dye? I haven't had HAIR in over 20 years. o.O

• @sherrycanary  1 week

As being part of the "Don't trust anybody over 30 generation ", i am here to tell you that the age to be a geezers has gone up.
    Perhaps when Geezerdom was born, people were considered old at 50.
    From where I sit , ya gotta be at least 60 to be a geezer πŸ˜€

• @sheamiejay  1 week

Just turned 50 in December and released my first record on my birthday. Proud to be part of the club!

• @sheamiejay  1 week

Just turned 50 in December and released my first record on my birthday. Proud to be part of the club!

• @tunecat 1 week

I am 54 never released anything ( hope there's still time ) but started writing for me probably mostly due to finding you guys . Last year I had a ball. Do not consider myself a " geezer" one because it wd require changing how I perceive the word ( or changing gender) and two because music wise I feel it's been a long jourbed to get MORE like the inner me - the crazy, unguarded , unafraid willing-to-fail youngster that I was and am. Ironic- perhaps but I'm not going to let irony have the last laugh!

• @jcooper  1 week

54 and loving life...

• @mishykatz  1 week

@generalist wondering if your dad is single... πŸ˜‰

• @mikeskliar  1 week

Hello again fellow geezers (or whatever your word of choice is for those of a certain age) . Since I last posted a few days ago, I had a birthday, so, of course, there's a song.... https://fawm.org/songs/90801/

• @hamiltonpoolhall  1 week

Count me in!!

• @hamiltonpoolhall  1 week

@timfatchen if you don't write "when the guy with the scythe comes knocking" into one of your songs pronto I'm going to assume it's completely up for grabs πŸ˜€.

• @mdlbear 1 week

All these youngsters! I'm turning 72 next month.

• @jendistad  1 week

@sph *squee* I'm a huge fan of The Monkess (have been for decades)! πŸ˜€ (Of course, now I have "Zilch" running through my head.)

• @jwhanberry  1 week

@mdlbear YeeeHawww! Found another one older than me...barely. Happy Birthday in advance.

• @jerrypettit  1 week

67, and still putting out occasional "bubble gum"!

• @valeriecox  1 week

Geezing at 48, but feeling better and more enlightening than ever.

• @oaksnprairie  1 week

Hey @tunecat, I released my first album last December, age 58. I didn't start FAWM until I was 54--a few days after that birthday, in fact.
    Looking forward to "when the guy with the scythe comes knocking" both the @hamiltonpoolhall and the @timfatchen versions!
    Glad I found this forum, it's clearly where the cool kids hang out.

• @oaksnprairie  1 week

Wait a minute--cannot count backwards. I was 56 at my first FAWM. I am not very reliable with numbers.

• @timfatchen  1 week

Hey @oaksnprairie I didn't even know it was possible for me to create music until I was 50 and didn't come on FAWM until i was 57. Seems back in my youth now...

• @jamkar  4 days

67, so I have been getting Senior discounts for a while. @nancyrost I agree with a Geezer band. Rock on!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...