cheers, Queers!

Skip to the bottom

• @cairobraga  Jan 2019

last year we amassed an amazing queer chapter here on FAWM and I think we should do it again!!!

so if you live under our absolutely gorgeous and tenacious umbrella of non-cis and/or non-hetero and/or other non-conforming identities, do tell a little about yourself, how you identify and what kind of music you make, so we can thrive together, collab, help each other, be silly, make friends. S2

don't forget to tag your queer-themed songs with #queer

(last year we had a handful of cis-hetero allies who were parents to queer youth, which was awesome. we also want you this year again, okay? S2)

• @cairobraga  Jan 2019

I'll start by saying that I'm a non-binary (genderqueer) polyssexual electronic music producer with singer-songwriter ambitions. and by summoning @phoenixash and @elesimo.

• @kahlo2013  Jan 2019

Hey there! Over the years I have identified along the LBQ pathway and for the past few decades have identified as L as part of a long term relationship. I love writing songs that cover a broad range of topics and usually every FAWM/5090 there are a few songs that emerge about LGBTQ+ equity issues and a few that have some LGBTQ+ sensual overtones. I tend to write a lot of lyrics and have limited music skills and even less production skills so always welcome musical collaborations and co-writing partnerships with all people across any genres.

• @jackdawfactories  Jan 2019

Aha! @danaskully dropped a message on my soundboard about a thread like this, good to see there already is one! I'm Jack, a non-binary aromantic from the UK. I think @frenchcricket started this thread last time?

• @yam655 Jan 2019

I'm a parent of LGBT+ kids. Currently they self-describe their genders as "both" and "neither". How that plays out as they grow has some possible variation, so we'll see with time.

These days I make a couple different kinds of music:
    - folk acapella
    - ambient acapella (non-musical background tracks)
    - lo-fi folk acapella (which is also called crapcapella)
    - and I expect to make something new that doesn't have a genre yet

• @cairobraga  Jan 2019

@kahlo2013 I'm eager to listen to your #queer music, dear.

@jackdawfactories YES, Anya started it last year. I reckon you and her are amongst the longest-serving queer fawmers, right?

@yam655 your children sound AWESOME! send them my love!

• @thelowestbitter  Jan 2019

Hey everyone! Gay man here, been using FAWM for several years now to try and make sense of all my queer feelings and also whinge about boys, so expect some more of that this year. Mostly been making various electronic stuff the past couple of FAWMs and will probably be doing the same again, although I might bust the guitar out at some point. Looking forward to hearing what everyone comes up with ๐Ÿ˜€

@cairobraga quite possibly! Although I'm only recently out

• @elesimo  Jan 2019

Hi, friends!

I'm here for my 4th FAWM, and super excited about it โ€” I feel like a kid in December, waiting for Christmas! I identify as bi, currently living in SF but originally from Brazil.

I always wanted to be a musician, and in the last 4 years I started making music more frequently. I like to make ambient soundscapes, but during FAWM I like to get out of my comfort zone and I have a few songs where I sing. I'm open to collaborations, so hit me up if you live my music! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @helenseviltwin  Jan 2019

Lesbian here. I feel like everything I write is a bit queer because I write it...

• @phoenixash Jan 2019

Hello everyone! I'm gonna agree with @helenseviltwin because I believe that everything I make is just as gay as me hahahaha I identify as male but dream of a more fluid future, meanwhile I follow the passion of writing, singing and performing gothic music in it's most variant forms.

• @frenchcricket  Jan 2019

Hi all!

trans and gay AF (actually bi but y'know)

if anyone is bored this weekend check out HBomberGuy's twitch stream - he's raising money for Mermaids (UK trans youth charity)

• @alyxanderjames  Jan 2019

Hello, friends! Iโ€™m a queer, non-binary/genderqueer/trans masculine human whoโ€™s super happy to be here.

• @petemurphy  Jan 2019

I'm not really down with the terminology, but I guess the most appropriate word for me regarding sexuality might be 'fluid'.

• @danaskully Jan 2019

OMG YAY!
    Hey all! My name is Dana, I'm from Indianapolis, Indiana USA. I identify as non-binary and my pronouns are they/them.
    I'm excited to explore more lgbtq+ themes this year for FAWM

• @danaskully Jan 2019

@jackdawfactories Glad you found your way here!

• @valeriecox  Jan 2019

I always manage to write a few queer songs whether intentional or not, but then forget to mark them as queer in the tags. But recently my collabs with @helenseviltwin have been tagged as Transatlantic Lesbo Pop. I'm sure that's going to be the next big thing. ๐Ÿ˜

• @cairobraga  Jan 2019

@valeriecox I'M SO HERE FOR TRANSATLANTIC LESBO POP, GURL

• @the7thnight Jan 2019

Hello! I'm cis aro ace. (Not super queer I guess, but not straight.) I'm excited to write songs again this year!! I always feel strange about writing love songs since I have no experience to go off of... but I write them anyway with imagined relationships, or sometimes base things off of existing characters ๐Ÿ˜ I like writing music with synthesizers, wide melodies, and bossa influences. That's the ideal anyway! We'll see how I do this year.

• @cairobraga  Jan 2019

@the7thnight hey, I would love to hear songs about love in the context of the aro ace experience, just sayin'...

and there's no such thing as "not super queer", same as there's no such thing as "too queer".

• @helenseviltwin  Jan 2019

@the7thnight - I've written a fair few murder ballads and I have zero experience of that. "Write what you know" can be limiting. Write what you can imagine.

• @frey Jan 2019

Hey, I'm Frey, I'm gay & I write a lot about heartbreak & animals.

@danaskully thanks, you too! Nice to see a They. Also @the7thnight nice to see another aro!

• @alonetogether Jan 2019

I didnt think to tag my stuff queer last year, but it pretty much always is. songs about being gay, songs about being trans, songs about being gay AND trans. There's a lot you can get out of it

• @jayandromeda Jan 2019

Hello! Nonbinary/transmasc/queer AF singer-songwriter here, I write songs about space (among other things).

Super excited to hear some awesome queer music!

• @glasscrow Jan 2019

Hi! I'm a genderqueer electro-industrial musician! All (almost all) of my music under Imperfect Trust is about my experiences with gender, even if the lyrics don't explicitly state it, because the point of that project is to explore and express my identity. Quite happy I found you all.

• @tsunamidaily Jan 2019

i'm the resident gay country lyricist. very few of my songs deal with specifically gay issues. most of them deal with relationships, which are basically just the same games everyone plays, irrespective of the matching/nonmatching sex of the involved partners. maybe one out of fifty songs or so end up having a specifically gay theme. not sure if that means anything or not.

• @ryuu Jan 2019

Hello! I used to be Team Lesbian, and then I came out as genderqueer femme last autumn... (It still feels very new and kinda awkward.) I rarely write explicitly queer songs. My musical style is all over the place, and I guess I can't disguise my classical roots.

• @antlion Jan 2019

queer cis guy here, my music is sort of a scratchety lo-fi mess. lovely to see you all here, can't wait to hear what folks come up with!!

• @corinnecurcio Jan 2019

I'm just an old-fashioned Lesbian. Emphasis on "old" ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @oblivionratula  Feb 2019

Bi/queer in semi-stealth mode in a het marriage (she knows). ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Possessor of XY chromosomes, but I'll answer to any pronouns and happily let my daughters paint my nails.

I'm feeling like queer themes are going to figure heavily this, my second FAWM - whether subtly or overtly remains to be seen. My music ranges from folk/acoustic to electronic noise and many points in-between - kinda like the rest of me, it's all very undecided.

• @cairobraga  Feb 2019

it makes me teary-eyed to see all you beautiful and talented queers here! tell your friends about this topic and let's collab queerly and surely. happy FAWM, dearests! ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ’—

• @visiblydistorted Feb 2019

Preference-free here, judgeyness on an individual, experiential basis only.
    Music basically the same, dabbling in everything and anything until i find something which I like the way it sounds, then running with it.

• @losttheplot Feb 2019

Well hello everyone! My name is Jacob and I'm bisexual. Probably not the most exciting reveal in this thread hehe But I'm so glad to see so many proud members of the LGBTQ+ community in this thread!

I'm heavily inspired by artists such as Julien Baker, Death Cab for Cutie, and Car Seat Headrest. I write extensively about my depression. It's my way of coping and letting my thoughts out as I am just awful expressing how I feel regularly talking to someone.

I'm so excited to attempt this year's FAWM (this is my first ever attempt) and I'm very excited to see everyone's music!!

• @elesimo  Feb 2019

@losttheplot oh, I love Julien Baker! I discovered her on NPR Tiny Desk, and saw her opening a show shortly after in Oakland, at the Fox Theater.

And welcome to FAWM! You're in for a blast! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @shelleymiller Feb 2019

Here and queer. I identify as either lesbian or bi (prefer saying queer since I'm not sure if the 1% of me that might wanna date a dude needs all that attention). I write weird asymetrical dark folk songs, and also rock songs, and also like to do weird noise experimentation on occasion. I play a bunch of instruments and teach music at a community music school here in Chicago.

• @losttheplot Feb 2019

@elesimo She is just nothing less than spectacular. She went to the same college as I did haha

And thank you!!!

• @complexissimple Feb 2019

The short simple version is agender asexual steampunk singer. Musically, that usually means I write in a variety of genres (music hall, punk, folk, filk, country, Broadway, jazz, nerd rock, barbershop, whatever I'mfeeling at the moment), most of my demos end up as a cappella because instrumentals are so much harder to write when you don't play an instrument, and lyrically I try to avoid the standard "love songs" that are all over the radio although a few tend to sneak in anyway.

@shelleymiller I laughed out loud at your phrasing of โ€œall that attention.โ€ If the community music school in Chicago is the one Iโ€™m thinking of, I used to live a few blocks from there but stupidly never took any classes.

We are outside the city now, but itโ€™s nice to โ€œmeetโ€ another Chicagolander. I donโ€™t know what you like to use for your weird noise experimentation, but the Chicago Synth DIY group is having a meet up at Nerd Audio on February 9. Iโ€™m hoping to get there, and coincidentally itโ€™s my birthday. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @caseewilson  Feb 2019

Very not straight, married to very non-binary @Gem ๐Ÿ˜€

• @quintonbarnes  Feb 2019

We're here, we're queer and full of...cheer????

Sorry y'all I tried

• @cairobraga  Feb 2019

@quintonbarnes we're here, we're queer and full of sheer... creativity, yay!

• @danaskully Feb 2019

AH! Happy first day y'all! My roomie and I have been working all morning on our first demo!!

• @thelowestbitter  Feb 2019

HEY! Just finished my first song and I'm really proud of it, it's called PDA and it's about being queer and being scared to show affection in public, but it's more specifically about a time last year when I was drunk enough not to care and so just started making out harder when some homophobic guy started glaring at us. ๐Ÿ˜€

https://fawm.org/songs/89379/

• @robynmackenzie  Feb 2019

Hi from another queer lady!!! Expecting that at least one of my songs will be about the queer community/experiences.

• @ginomakesmusic Feb 2019

Hey all! I'm a gay Asian artist from Baltimore Super excited to being doing FAWM this year writing only queer love songs ๐Ÿ˜€ can't wait to listen to all your stuff!

• @wacha  Feb 2019

Hello, lesbian over here. My love songs tend to be obviously gay and I've written a political song or two specifically bringing up LBGT+I issues.

• @auditasum Feb 2019

Hi y'all. I'm a Midwest queer woman who is not very genderful. She or they pronouns are equally fine. I like experimenting with all kinds of genres, but I guess my most comfortable is ukulele folk.

I love how you folks describe yourselves. What a beautiful rainbow.

• @tawny249  Feb 2019

*whispering* Lesbian. And demisexual. I feel less awkward about the second one. I would say I have one and a half feet out of the closet, if you will. >_> Posting this was kind of hard.

I write all sorts of things...mostly folk-y filk, but occasionally something more akin to techno or symphonic metal. I don't play an instrument and haven't tried synth instruments in years, though, so it's just gonna be vocals. Collabs welcome? ๐Ÿ˜

• @mistermann  Feb 2019

Cismale Kinsey 6 Mo. Also a recovering evangelical Christian.

I write about both of these things as Ruckus Aquinas at www.ruckusaquinas.com

Some of those songs started as FAWM demos but I experiment/play more broadly here!

Yay queer songwriters! โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ

• @mistermann  Feb 2019

Oh! As for styles I started deep in synthesizer land and have gradually amassed more and more instruments to do more acoustic arrangements. My only real hard nos are country and CCM (although my occasional rap ends up sounding like the nasal whiny white boy that I am).

@tawny249 Just wanted to say I see you. Posting was hard, but you did it. I hope this doesn't sound patronizing. I have trepidation as well, but if you can be a foot and a half out anywhere (loved that phrasing), a somewhat obscure corner of the internet is the place!

• @cairobraga  Feb 2019

@mistermann sorry for my ignorance, but can you explain what "Kinsey 6 Mo" means?

• @beesmusic Feb 2019

Oh yay, I'm so happy this thread exists! Thanks for making space for us queerfolk. I"m a happy, finger-pickin', lady-kissin', guitar-playin' warbler from the shores of Georgian Bay in Ontario. I have very diverse musical interests, but play and write mostly roots-style tunes. I rarely share my music, so this is kind of a big brave thing for me to do.

• @mistermann  Feb 2019

@cairobraga as in โ€œExcusively homosexualโ€ as in number six on the Kinsey scale of sexuality. If you donโ€™t know about the Kinsey Scale, you should look it up! Itโ€™s a very old but neat way of describing sexuality on a continuum between the numbers 0 (hetero only) and 6 (homo only).

I shortened โ€œhomosexualโ€ to โ€œmoโ€ to be a smartass. That was probably confusing, sorry! ๐Ÿ˜•

• @kahlo2013  Feb 2019

Well this is an out there queer lyric if anyone wants to play with it and put it to music

https://fawm.org/songs/90299/

• @tawny249  Feb 2019

@oblivionratula No, it's not patronizing. Thanks. And yeah, that was my reasoning. ๐Ÿ˜

• @wurzelfrau Feb 2019

Oh wow, so much queer siblings over here <3
    Hi, I'm Joy, very fluid, very pansexual, very poly ๐Ÿ˜€
    And now I'm going to listen to your music, this may take a while.

• @cairobraga  Feb 2019

@mistermann thanks for explaining! and yes, the "mo" was the element of confusion, hahahahah. I'm very familiar with the Kinsey scale but, since it was devised before the notion of spectrum, I think it's just old and not neat anymore. case in point: I fit nowhere in the Kinsey scale.

• @auditasum Feb 2019

This thread inspired me to take the Week 1: Clothing challenge and write the gayest song possible.

https://fawm.org/songs/90418/

• @mistermann  Feb 2019

@cairobraga Thatโ€™s a really good point! Iโ€™ve liked it because it feels like it gives people more room for expression than just hetero, bi, pan, poly, or homo, but once youโ€™re outside of binary gender it totally breaks down. Plus, as I think about it, it doesnโ€™t really cover ace/demi in its single dimension. Hmmmmm ๐Ÿค”

Now Iโ€™m tempted to try revising it, but I bet that describing sexuality with a multidimensional vector would only be exciting to nerds like me ๐Ÿค“

• @cairobraga  Feb 2019

@mistermann I guess the idea of a scientific model to fit and describe the diversity of human sexuality and gender would have its pros and cons, but I think it would be helpful anyway. but let me tell you somehting: the Kinsey Scale is officially scientifically outdated and surpassed, no one in science uses it seriously anymore, it became a relic, hehehe.

• @ablaze Feb 2019

im a girl and i just figured out im bi, i really didnt want to be at first but now ive accepted it and i am actually quite happy about it because liking girls is so much fun hahah. The only song thats on my page now is about a girl, it didnt work out sadly, youll understand when you hear the song

• @wr3n  Feb 2019

A trans girl? Who's a musician? Been leaning into the stereotype by playing guitar and making a edgy zine.

@wr3n I believe you might also be legally obligated to get into Eurorack synths's too. ๐Ÿ˜ Most of the trans folk I know are from synth-land - on the surface, a strange (to me) phenomenon. Welcome.

• @wr3n  Feb 2019

@oblivionratula you're not wrong ๐Ÿ˜

• @frenchcricket  Feb 2019

Being misgendered in comments is kinda annoying

• @alyxanderjames  Feb 2019

@frenchcricket Super annoying. Iโ€™m sorry thatโ€™s happened to you. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I've bumped the pronoun thread. Feel free to add comments!

• @petemurphy  Feb 2019

Hi all!

I was alerted to this thread by @frenchcricket (thanks!).

I updated my profile with pronoun / sexuality info earlier today.

Welcome to inching out of the closet, @petemurphy ! I truly believe that's one of the things the internet was invented for. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @amysens Feb 2019

Hi all, I'm cis, bi and in a long term lesbian relationship. My main writing focus is progressive hymns in bluegrass and folk genres but with fawm I feel some freedom to try all kinds of stuff.

• @mistermann  Feb 2019

@amysens YES PROGRESSIVE HYMNS! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

As someone who likes to envision a โ€œpost-CCMโ€ music niche that does not yet exist I love seeing people work on stuff like this. โค๏ธ

• @rahkoi  Feb 2019

Hi all. Cis aro ace individual reporting in. Doing mostly weird-ish stuff with electronic and occasionally (electro-)orchestral bent. And some humor stuff. Not done anything so far from explicitly asexual stand-point, but never been big on sexual/romantic themes in songs, which... you know... makes some level of sense I guess. Even before I knew the label.

This year, would like to do at least one song very specifically honing in on asexuality. Will see.

• @fecknom Feb 2019

Hello! I'm Ethan Lyn. Queer transmasculine fawmling in Chicago. Partner of @alyxanderjames.

I write a lot about mental health stuff (I'll never run out of ideas if I just write about what's making me anxious!) and sometimes queer things. Acoustic folky stuff, mostly. The song I wrote for the clothing prompt (Purple Satin) is probably my favorite of all the queer things I've written.

• @thelionuki Feb 2019

Hello qs from the world!
    Cheer from sunny Brasil!

• @cairobraga  Feb 2019

@thelionuki please tell us more about yourselves, like how you identify under the queer umbrella, what kind of music you make.

• @felder Feb 2019

I'm Felder. I'm a cis queer kid from Georgia.
    I mostly listen to alt rock but I like a lot of other kinds of music too -- funk, r&b, rap, electronic... Some of my favorite artists are The Strokes, Interpol, Gorillaz, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Vulfpeck, Steely Dan, Double Ferrari, HOME, BROCKHAMPTON -- the list goes on.
    This is my first FAWM and I'm making music on my phone with a lovely little chiptune sequencer called Nanoloop. The music is pretty distant from a lot of what I listen to but I guess that's how it works sometimes. It's been a blast checking out everyone else's music. This is such a fun community!

• @alyxanderjames  Feb 2019

@felder Welcome to FAWM!

• @thelionuki Feb 2019

welp, we both identify as queer boys, one is gay and the other bi-but mostly gay. kinda finding ourselves actually. lionuki is more about we together in a weird way? not exactly the sum of parts. currently we're mostly experimenting but I feel that the songs fit under a 'goth-world-music-rock' umbrella with this conscious decision of making songs from our 'cute' part, which i guess it's makes me queer? #totororealness our solid references would be dead can dance, ryuichi sakamoto, tobbaco, joni mitchell, nine inch nails, bjork, steve reich, planningtorock, aphex twin

• @complexissimple Feb 2019

@mistermann You are not the only nerd here! I would LOVE to see how you map sexuality multidimensionally. Even better, do it and then write a song about it with lots of nerdy jargon no one can understand.

• @onceandfuturegabi Feb 2019

I'm Gabi - I'm a queer/nonbinary (they/them) indie/folk/folkpunk artist out of Philadelphia. This is my first time at FAWM (found it referenced in an r/songaweek comment), but I'm really loving it so far ๐Ÿ˜€. My only song here that deals with queer issues is Self-Help Necronomicon (terrible production quality on that), but I just got started here yesterday so I very well might return to the theme.

• @ryuu Feb 2019

I'm so happy we're such a big, diverse crowd here. So many queer pack mates <3

• @pocketnaomi  Feb 2019

Hello, fellow queerfolk! I'm a bisexual, polyamorous woman, sharing my FAWM this year with my awesome genderqueer teenager. So we're both part of the clan, in our respective ways. Glad to meet everybody!

• @wylddandelyon Feb 2019

Hi! I'm Deirdre, and I'm pansexual (though historically I've used bi, and I still use both labels. I'm not at all sure I understand gender, and love the zie/ze zir zirs pronouns, but so much of my life has been shaped by being born a girl that the usual feminine pronouns are good too.

This thread was tiny last year! Love you all ๐ŸŒˆ

• @cairobraga  Feb 2019

I'm so happy with all these amazingly awesome queer fawmily! much love to y'all, dearests! ๐Ÿ˜ S2

• @kahlo2013  Feb 2019

A fellow Madisonian rocked out music to lyrics I wrote about being proud to be queer

https://fawm.org/songs/94491/

• @oblivionratula  Mar 1

Just wanted to say I love you all. I look forward to March when I can actually listen through all the queer-tagged tracks. I've done a couple, even though they're subtle. *hugs*

• @nuerdetjuligen  Mar 1

Disappointed I didn't see this thread sooner. but YAY! SO EXCITED TO LISTEN TO ALL HERE QUEERS IN MARCH!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...