Mornington Crescent

Skip to the bottom

• @mdavisto  4 weeks

Anyone up for a round?

This year I propose we use the new 5e extended rule set, which as you know means no bouncers, no overhead underhangs, and no loose garments. Let's keep this clean: I'm sure nobody wants a repeat of the Elephant and Castle incident. Took bloody weeks to sort out.

Anyhoo, I'll begin.

Charing Cross.

• @headfirstonly  4 weeks

Glad to see the traditional openings are still favoured.

Temple.

• @mdavisto  4 weeks

Ah. You've wasted no time putting me right in it, I see.

What to do, what to do ...

Well, if you've played Temple so early in the game, you can surely take no offence if I play Cottage.

Swiss, you see.

• @zecoop  4 weeks

Snake eyes rolled, so I thought I could leap-frog. But my 'reverse' card overruled (per v3) so it's back to Temple.

• @metalfoot  4 weeks

5e extended set, eh? Well... I don't mean to be a fool about this but it seems to me that after the second Temple the next play (hoping to avoid the Elephant and Castle incident!) must be to King's Cross.

• @swampjaw  4 weeks

I've been following Andy Partridge on Twitter, and in addition to tips on chord progressions, he also gives tips on Mornington Crescent. So, I can't take credit for this play -- it's all Andy. The best move after King's Cross is....

Swindon.

• @hornesgiftshop  4 weeks

I must protest at this off-board diagonal. As such, I play TWO off-board diagonals via Crewe and Ashford into Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 and 4. Paddington is BARRED. For shame.

• @mdavisto  4 weeks

@swampjaw Swindon? SWINDON? Jesus.

@hornesgiftshop Bravo. That's the sort of game we want to be playing here. Excellent.

With Paddington barred, options appear limited - but 5e rules also permit a shift axis. It's really not done in the best circle's, but, I feel I must: Chatham.

• @stephenwordsmith 4 weeks

Now, if we're playing by the Chatham House Rules, I shouldn't need to explain why that last post contained two violations.

This offense merits a Wapping, so let us make this our next move.

A Wapping it is. @mdavisto and I will take it like gentlemen, and then like ladies.

• @pipewrench67  4 weeks

I'm not ready to jump in yet, but whoever makes the next move should consider that I opened the window onto the alley, behind the smoke shop on Greenfield. Notice given.

@pipewrench67 You've left the Overground entirely unguarded. Queens Park. (Is this a trap?)

• @oddbod  4 weeks

@hornesgiftshop If it is a trap then it’s a flipping obvious one - unless of course it’s a double bluff
    Either way, if my interpretation of the Overground Amendment [2015] is correct, I can’t see there’ll be any objections raised to Brondesbury Park

• @sapient  4 weeks

Ha! Hyde Park Corner!

• @sapient  4 weeks

And that means that @metalfoot and @hornesgiftshop need to pick up a copper token. Oh yes.

• @metalfoot  4 weeks

A copper token? I don't remember in 5e if that's a good or a bad thing. Need to review my copy of the rules, I guess. But if we find ourselves at Hyde Park Corner... I feel like the wisest move is to hole up at the Piccadilly Circus. Just because.

• @quillwraith  4 weeks

@oddbod There are traps everywhere. If you don't see any, it just means you're not looking carefully enough.

With copper tokens in play, I'd be a fool to try my standard section four opening. Therefore, I choose to *deliberately* spring the trap, by entering with Northwood Hills.

I'll skip a turn while I cherish my copper token. Pretty, pretty.

• @tuneslayer2018  4 weeks

Well, bother. After staying up all night with only a modest selection of recreational substances and a copy of what I thought was 5e, I had a beautiful double-shuffle all planned out that would have definitely put me in a most enviable position (levitating 2.5m above the platform, but that's a different story). Unfortunately this morning I found two minor flaws in my plan:

1. The rule set that I thought was 5E, was actually 3S. I'd been reading it in the mirror. Silly me!

2. Since we're using 5e and not 3S, I'm not allowed to use the time travel variation, which means that my brilliant solution involving South Kentish Town and several boxes of Jaffa Cakes is, alas, not so brilliant.

So due to the double-slide rule I'm gong to have to go with Embankment, which I'm sure you'll all agree puts me in a much less favorable position. Only 125 cm above the platform, and face down.

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

* stops to watch a few ants as they walk by, signing together. their talk adds a sweetly acrid note to the other smells of the busy square *

Perdido Street

• @quillwraith  4 weeks

Perdido Street? Is that even valid under this rulest, is it?

...oh, I see,. Or rather, *hear*. You're taking advantage of the lunar— well. No use explaining it out loud, then everyone would know. We shall soon find out whether it works, however.

I'll be staying well away from that tangle (until the time is right), by passing through the first inversion to arrive at Hill-on-the-Harrow

• @sapient  4 weeks

@quillwraith - yeah, I was puzzled by that move too. I mean, it's fictional, for goodness sake. And then I remembered the footnote on page 73 of the 5e rulebook. The one that refers to the scrolls kept by monks on the island of... Ah never mind. I'm sure we all know.

I'm pretty sure the most sensible response to a first inversion pass-through is a double shunt, putting me at Bond street and @mdavisto at Cockfosters.

• @mdavisto  4 weeks

@sapient Unconventional, but I'm OK with it. It plays to my existing strategy of ... well, you know. I've said too much.

Let's see. If you're at Bond Street, and @oddbod has played Bondesbury Park, then ... I apologise, its a bit early in the game, but you see my predicament, I'm sure.

Chiswick.

Q

Sorry, Kew. (Does 5E include phonetics?)

• @metalfoot  4 weeks

I'm going to pass here and stay at Piccadilly Circus and admire my shiny copper token for a turn.

• @fuzzy  4 weeks

As I'm entering the field late, I will accept the "roofing nail through the foot" penalty (although I've always thought it a little harsh) and I'll start at Moorgate.

• @oddbod  4 weeks

@hornesgiftshop Phonetics? I ask you! A diversionary ploy if ever I've heard one. As you well know, the whole issue of phonetics was dealt with in Baines, Baines & Baines (Appellant) v Subterranean Transport Co Ltd. (Respondent).

Time to bring out the big guns - Totteridge & Whetstone

• @oddbod  4 weeks

@metalfoot @hornesgiftshop - far too much mooning over copper trinkets for my liking.

• @metalfoot  4 weeks

@oddbod Indeed. Now I've got that out of my system, I think I hear a saxophone solo, so it's time to head on to Baker Street.

• @oddbod  4 weeks

....Ahhh the dulcet tones of Bob Holness

• @pipewrench67  4 weeks

@oddbod I'm pretty sure that is Baines, Banes & Baynes (Appellant) v Subterranean Transport Co Ltd. (Respondent).

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

@metalfoot Good. Now I can move to any aquatic location.

Heron Quays.

• @quillwraith  4 weeks

I'd be disappointed that you got to Baker Street before me, but honestly it wouldn't have done any good while still inverted - I mean, Street Baker? Not worthwhile at all. Still, I wish you the best of it.

Meanwhile, time to make a bit of a diagonal move to Lane Stonehead and pick up the torch I left here last week - could come in handy.

• @oddbod  4 weeks

@pipewrench67 Baynes, Schmaynes! What's a few letters between friends? It's the legal precedent that counts. Toodle pip old bean

• @mdavisto  4 weeks

Ok look. I know Kings Cross has already been played. But what of St Pancras, eh?

... Nah I wouldn't do that to you guys, this is a friendly game.

Instead, how about:

Battersea. All of it.

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

Ha. If I respond to Battersea with Waterloo, it's a semantic meld-of-half, and I can do it from here because the number of stops away is a perfect number, in this case, the smallest perfect number, 6.

Waterloo. And it forces an opponent to move to King's Cross AGAIN. Take that, Mr Rafferty!

• @metalfoot  4 weeks

@elainedimasi Wait; is that in the 5e rules that i have to return to King's Cross if someone moves to Waterloo?
    *consults rulebook*
    *shakes fist at the skies*
    Drat.
    OK... um...er... I'll have to think this one out now.

Well I could use my Get Out Of Waterloo Free card here, but if I did I'd end up right back at Embankment, and that wouldn't do me any good, now would it?

So instead I'll play my Bank Holiday card. Bank.

• @swampjaw  4 weeks

With a number of prior plays through Baker Street, @tuneslayer2018 at Bank, both @elainedimasi and @metalfoot stuck in the middle, this seems an opportune time.

Paisley.

• @oddbod  4 weeks

@swampjaw Paisley? I didn't see that coming (as Ray Charles once said).
    North of the border eh? That'll put the cat amongst the artichokes.

I know Article 7(c) of the Carlisle Convention would normally prevent this but with @mdavisto at Battersea (the dog's home - how appropriate) I think I can get away with it - Buchanan Street

If we're going virtual, I'll say Trongate.

• @zecoop  4 weeks

Don't say Trongate!!!
    Oh wait... I thought I was in the "Don't thread"

But, I can see I haven't fooled anyone with my diversion. Drats...
    Leicester Square

• @metalfoot  4 weeks

Well, I suppose that means I must away to Old Street.

• @quillwraith  4 weeks

There's a positive abundance of options here, but I'll de-invert, take a retrograde half-turn, and follow in @elainedimasi's footsteps over to Heron Quays.

• @mdavisto  4 weeks

@hornesgiftshop at Trongate? @metalfoot at Old Street? Oh you pair of ...

How did I not see that coming? And me without an Unclaimed Baggage on the Platform.

5e removed the unpopular Body on the Line card, so really, I don't see how I have any diversionary or defensive moves left. I guess I have to go overland now.

Ughhhhh. It's a choice between evils really.

Bugger it.

Hull.

• @pipewrench67  4 weeks

@metalfoot stole my move, and since there is no mercy, I have no choice, but to have a wonderful day in a one way world and head down to the same old street.

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

// loitering a moment by a newsstand, scribbling a plan in a notebook. and... one of the London Underground's 15,516 CCTV cameras is pointed right at -

Drat.

Westminster, as though you all don't already know.

• @oddbod  4 weeks

Ah ha, I see someone's taken their eye off the ball - I'll just nab that other vacant spot at Heron Quays.

...and while I'm at it I'll just grab a paper an see what the latest is on Brexit....hallo, what's this? A partial closure of the Jubilee Line? How odd!

• @mdavisto  4 weeks

God, this has all gone so wrong.

Ashford International.

• @sapient  4 weeks

For you @mdavisto perhaps, but you do realise that leaves behind a whole string of red lights and jammed signals, effectively putting the Metropolitan line "out of hooky" for the next three rounds? A wise player might say that your complaint is merely a bluff....
    Limits my options somewhat.
    Hmm....
    OK, Elephant and Castle.

• @oddbod  4 weeks

Elephant and Castle? In spite of @mdavisto 's original warning, it looks like someone DOES want a repeat of last time's incident.
    I'm off before it all goes Pete Tong....
    Cockfosters

Did @oddbod not realise that @sapient entered the Elephant by the back entrance? Am I alone in thinking that @mdavisto *wants* a repeat of the E&C incident? Too many questions. Theydon Bois.

Look, whatever you lot do, please let's not have a repeat of the Elephant & Castle incident. We here in the US don't have a National Health Service as such, and I'm still paying off therapists' bills from the last time.

Under the circumstances I'm going to take the safe option. Acton Town.

• @metalfoot  4 weeks

It's come to this, has it? I suppose it's time for me to (checks 5e rules) play the inevitable.
    Mor---

Morden. Hah.

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

Just goes to show what good a rulebook is for controlling anything.

The curved banana thing is SUCH bs.

Warren Street.

• @sapient  4 weeks

Oh, good play there everyone!

Embankment.

Lolz 😁

• @quillwraith  4 weeks

I look away for a few turns, and this is what happens? Well, nothing to do but make the best of it.
    Burnt Oak.

Springs added at Burnt Oak, so... (sorry about this)... Edgware, Edgware, Edgware, Edgware, Edgware, Edgware, Edgware, Edgware, Edgware, Burnt Oak.

• @mdavisto  4 weeks

Oh god oh god oh god

Calais.

• @elainedimasi  4 weeks

Drama Queens.

Moorgate for now.

• @oddbod  4 weeks

Far too much repetition and deviation going on for my liking....oh wait, that's another game isn't it.

Let's see, somewhere on the Circle Line perhaps (strangest looking circle I've ever seen - more like a bottle of gin on its side)
    Ah, just the ticket....
    Barbican

• @paulhenry  4 weeks

Are we going anti-clockwise now? Did I miss the shift. I always miss it. So this is either a legal or an illegal move. Have to check my Flanders & Swann. So, anyway:

Shepherd's Bush

• @francessmith  4 weeks

Upminster. I was checking the rules and fell asleep.

Upminster! @francessmith is such an optimist, always has reasons to be cheerful. I'll play Billericay.

• @oddbod  4 weeks

@hornesgiftshop do you have the sheet music or shall I hum it to you?
    *boom, boom*

Fancy a swift one in the White Horse anyone?
    Parsons Green

• @mdavisto  4 weeks

@oddbod Hesitation!

I despair of my chances here, but at least I'm back in the UK:

Kirkcaldy.

• @sapient  4 weeks

Plenty of interesting but somewhat risky, and possibly illegal moves spring to mind. That's the problem with 5e. I never thought of myself as a traditionalist, but I do now realise that I'm more comfortable with Bubbleridge's rules. Third edition of course from 1978, once he'd worked out the kinks and employed proper psychic support to predict the DLR and Jubilee extension.
    Anyway, here goes nothing:
    Dagenham Heathway

• @paulhenry  4 weeks

Ah, 1978! I've been waiting for the code word. Take that!. . . .

British Museum

British Museum? Holy cow. That leaves me with seven possible options, and unless one of you is seeing something I'm not, none of them are all that good. I mean I could use my copper token here but I look back on the Crystal Palace tournament and think I may need it later.

So, let's make the best of a bad situation. Shoreditch High Street.

• @hornesgiftshop  3 weeks

@sapient is working out The Kinks; @mdavisto is dancing in the streets of Raith, and @oddbod is doing John Lee Hooker. What a day to be alive. Haggerston.

• @swampjaw  3 weeks

Glad to be playing this right now. We’re getting hit with a blizzard on the East Coast, and I’ll be stuck inside for several days. All work and no play makes Swampjaw a dull boy.

Rumberton Highlands.

• @oddbod  3 weeks

Okay I’m going to have to call a temporary halt to proceedings as it turns out that someone -@mdavisto - forgot to carry out the mandatory Health & Safety briefing before we kicked off.
    Now is everyone wearing their PPE? (HiViz, goggles, baboon-repellent gaiters) and memorised the 1,268 fire exits?
    Good, then you just have to sign the waiver below and we can get going again.

“I, the undersigned, hereby acknowledge that in the likely event of injury, loss of limb or dignity, surrender any right to compensation (financial or chocolate confectionery) from the FAWM Music Corporation.”

Right, with that task out of the way....
    Chancery Lane

• @mdavisto  3 weeks

@oddbod Deviation. We're playing 5e (the e being for Expedience), not vanilla 5.0.

I see why you're confused, though. The need for waivers was one of the matters hashed out at CrescentCon2016, which I believe indirectly led to the Great Schism. 5e rules allow for vastly streamlined turns, but the alterations would not have been possible without removing H&S oversight.

Now, some people believe that 5e represents a return to the roots of the game - it's pacier, the rules are simpler (I mean, they're far more obvious), and you can generally wrap it up in a season. Others argue that the vastly increased number of fatalities mean 5e should be scrapped.

Personally, it's worked out well for me, because while everyone else has been Circling and Banking and whatnot, I've been biding my time, eating French cheese, and am now in a position to:

MORNINGTON CRESCENT.

You buggers all owe me 50p.

• @oddbod  3 weeks

@mdavisto Do you take PayPal?

• @mdavisto  3 weeks

@oddbod Tell you what, shall we go again? You pick the rule set.

• @oddbod  3 weeks

Okay. How about a round of Brixton Scramble but you’re allowed to ignore the regulations on red trousers?

To give everyone a chance to adjust, I’ll start with something simple...
    London Bridge

• @sapient  3 weeks

Oh, well played @mdavisto, well played!

And we're into quickfire mode now eh, @oddbod? OK. I can do that.
    Victoria

Hah. I brought my passport. Pimlico.

• @mdavisto  3 weeks

Oh FFS

Tottenham Hale.

• @quillwraith  3 weeks

As John Kruth once said (supposedly), "It's going to be a red pants showdown."

I'll start in the South this time - Wimbledon.

• @sapient  3 weeks

Canning Town!

• @oddbod  3 weeks

So how could I ever refuse
    I feel like I win when I lose.....

Waterloo

• @tuneslayer2018  3 weeks

Grrr. And just when Amazon had a sale on red suspenders.

Angel.

Put that 50p on my tab, @mdavisto . I'm good for it.

• @fourzeroes  3 weeks

Stick with what I know

Stepney Green

• @swampjaw  3 weeks

Oooh. @sapient played Canning Town. These days, Parliament makes final determinations on rules for Mornington Crescent, but during Queen Victoria's reign, she did much of the work, with input from Prince Albert. His most significant change was allowing an intercontinental move four plays after Canning Town is played (hence, the well known adage "Prince Albert in a can."). And that newly allowed move? Surprisingly prescient.

Markle.

(And it's good that Parliament is actively taking care of the rules for the game. They have absolutely nothing else to do, and idle hands are the devil's workshop.)

• @oddbod  3 weeks

@swampjaw We're playing Brixton Scramble so off limits as far as Parliament is concerned.

Markle? Sticking with the North American theme, how about...

Canada Water

• @tuneslayer2018  3 weeks

Oh so that's how it's going to be, is it?

Boston Manor.

And twice on Saturdays.

• @mdavisto  3 weeks

Sorry lads, I was in the pub.

Picadilly Circus, I think. Christ, my head. This is Circus, right? Where am I?

• @metalfoot  3 weeks

*rolls the dice*
    I guess that says I'm at Seven Sisters. Odd.

• @calumcarlyle  3 weeks

Can I join the game late and play Hampstead?

I've heard the stairs there are equivalent to a fifteen storey building!

@calumcarlyle You can. By that I mean you are permitted. By which I am trying to say that it is *technically* allowable. DON'T YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND PASSIVE AGGRESSION??? Yes alright, Hampstead it is. West Hampstead. Overground. How do you like that? Lateral thinking.

• @oddbod  3 weeks

Any kind of thinking is a bonus for me, lateral or otherwise.
    Overground, underground, wombling free....genius Mike Batt, pure genius.
    Wimbledon

• @quillwraith  3 weeks

Speaking of those stairs, I think I'll try some *vertical* thinking. The Cartesian Z, as it were.
    High Barnet.

I like Brixton Scramble - preserves some real strategic depth, but at the same time, lets you just go ahead and make your move without worrying about a Nidd pileup or casual influence cascade.
    I think that kind of play is what the recent C.T.A. Fletcher ruleset was trying for, but frankly they oversimplified it. Stick to Brixton, I say.

• @calumcarlyle  3 weeks

For me, lateral thinking means walking laterally from one station to another! (as opposed to something like trying to change lines at Bank station, which is definitely not exclusively lateral!)

But since this is Mornington Crescent, and not Real Life (TM) i suppose it could never be that simple.

My next move, in a bid to catch up, is; Islington

Many people tell me it's not a winning strategy but i prefer to play it safe in the early stages of the game.

• @quillwraith  3 weeks

Islington is a solid move. Nearly played it myself last turn.

• @hornesgiftshop  2 weeks

I'm not sure that this quantity of laterals is what the late Ms Fletcher had in mind when she published the Third Appendix. Then again in our younger, suppler days, Mrs Giftshop and I used to enjoy a round of Strip Mornington Crescent - which would I suspect have turned the late Ms Fletcher quite blue. So in the spirit of nostalgia for free love and wild laterals... Arnos Grove.

• @zecoop  2 weeks

*Throws wrench into game*... Bet you didn't see this "-4 Reverse" card coming did you?!? That's right, I went up to the attic and dragged it out of the old edition that dear old dad used to play. Still legible=still valid.

Back four stops - Wimbledon

I know what you're thinking so I'll stop you right there. Wimbledon is only three stops back. That's very attentive of you. Except you missed my d20 roll of 1, which subtracts one stop. Round and round we go!

• @sapient  2 weeks

Darn.
    OK...
    *thinks*
    Brixton Scramble rules eh? Then it must be Embankment.

• @tuneslayer2018  2 weeks

Perdido Street

Wait a minute, I'm having this incredible feeling of deja-vu.

• @wr3n  1 week

Well! It's been a hot minute since I've played, so I'll play it safe and drop in at Waterloo. Some might think it pointless with the penalties, but I've seen enough games turned around that I find it worth the meager fee.

• @wr3n  1 week

No takers?

• @calumcarlyle  1 week

Okay, i think i missed my last turn without actually having been in receipt of a penalty so i'm not sure how to actually continue, under the Brixton Scramble rules (which are not covered in my own copy of the rules), but i'm going to continue assuming that the V&A rules apply, but with the revised station list, so, my next move is to:

Mudchute!

• @wr3n  1 week

Onwards to the end of the line at Stratford! It might not look like much, but elevator bonus is very real, and I intend to make full use of it.
    I will, of course, be renting a Segway.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...