Storycube Challenge

Skip to the bottom

• @darcistrutt  Jan 14

Give the cubes a try if you’re feeling stuck or just want an extra randomness added to your lyric writing. I have multiple sets of Rory’s Story Cubes and tend to roll one from the “action” set and four from the others all combined. Then the task is to weave those images together into a lyric! Sometimes the rolls lead in an obvious direction, and other times it is more challenging to make things fit together. Of course, it’s OK to not blend and just do a verse with each image but it’s more fun to read the lyric and see the images fall into place as a complete story!

Many of you already have a set, or your kids do! There’s also a phone app that works well. Or…I’m willing to roll for you and save you the trouble! Tag me in your request so it pops up in my feed and bug me if you don’t see a response within a day. I won’t roll until the start of FAWM though! Tag it Storycube so we can all see the creativity roll!

• @wacha  Jan 16

Can you roll for me please?

• @izaakalexander  Jan 21

Please roll a pre-FAWM set for me when you get a chance, @darcistrutt . I like to let the random images float around in my subconscious for awhile. See if they synthesize into anything by Feb. 1st.

• @darcistrutt  Jan 22

@izaakalexander Here's your roll to ponder! Bandages, a backpack, a fish, a microscope, and your action is a ball bouncing.

• @stuartbenbow  Jan 23

Roll me ‘dem bones if you’d be so kind. 😀

• @embersofautumn Jan 23

Sounds good to me. How bout a roll my way?

• @coolparadiso  Jan 27

I got a stinker last year but it was still fun! I will give it a go

• @tan482  Jan 28

I have story cubes, think I'll give this a try! Do people roll the full set of 9 or do they generally try a lower number?

• @adnama17  Jan 28

Me! Me! Me!

• @cnidaria  Jan 31

Always love this one. Gimme a roll!

• @cnidaria  Jan 31

(FYI, in the middle of doing a full produced recording of my storycube song from FAWM '17)

• @ductapeguy Feb 1

@sebscorner gave me a set for Christmas. What a thoughtful son I have. I will see what I can come up with.

• @mdavisto  Feb 1

@darcistrutt, my family discovered Story Cubes because of you. We have heaps of them, but, I would be honoured if you'd roll a round for me. Thank you.

• @tamsnumber4  Feb 1

I have story cubes and stress to decipher them.

• @jaegerin  Feb 1

Definitely doing this one again! I love a bit of cube randomness!

• @bithprod Feb 1

Yay, please roll for me! Last time I did this the song ended up on an album.

• @auditasum Feb 1

@darcistrutt I'll take a roll.

There are a few other people ahead of me in the thread, too. 😀

• @darcistrutt  Feb 1

@stuartbenbow A crown, a goblet, theater masks (happy/sad), a jet plane, and for action a person jumping off a medium high place
    @embersofautumn A wishing well, a whistle, a conversation bubble (like in the comics), a pyrimid, and for action a person chosing which way to go at a crossroads.
    @coolparadiso An ambulance, blood stain, the letter "L", a large power switch, and for action a person reaching for something high above them.

• @darcistrutt  Feb 1

@wacha A robot, a fire, a Bishop chess piece, a spiral universe, and for action a person dancing.
    @adnama17 An old woman, a fountain, a bea, a light bulb, and for action a person giving a gift.
    @cnidaria An axe, a treasure chest, a question mark, a broken bone, and for action a person dropping something.

• @darcistrutt  Feb 1

@mdavisto A fire, arrows pointing in multiple directions, a teepee, a semi-smiling face (maybe looking embarrased?), and for action a person listening to something on headphones.
    @bithprod A shooting star, a person in a surgical mask, a ball, a gage at empty, and for action a person lifting heavy weights.
    @auditasum A horse, a password being typed in, a camera, a magnifying glass, and for action a person daydreaming. Thanks for the nudge!!

• @stuartbenbow  Feb 1

@darcistrutt thanks! Looking forward to another opportunity to turn these unrelated images into a cohesive tune. 😀

• @stuartbenbow  Feb 2

Out of curiosity, what are we tagging these as? Can’t remember what we used last time.

• @stuartbenbow  Feb 2

Here’s my result, and I found the tag in the first post... observant I’m not. 🤣

Anyway, here’s Falling Down. Warning, it’s political and anti-Trump. If that’s an issue, feel free to skip it.

https://fawm.org/songs/89489/

• @darcistrutt  Feb 2

@stuartbenbow tag it StoryCube!

• @izaakalexander  Feb 13

Here folks:

https://fawm.org/songs/93886/

Thanks for this challenge, @darcistrutt . I'm always surprised with what I can get out of these.

• @reklov Feb 28

Well, I threw my own story cubes. It's a mess in realtime!

https://fawm.org/songs/99042/

• @jaegerin  Feb 28

I did it! I love this challenge - thanks @darcistrutt!!
    Here are my lyrics: https://fawm.org/songs/99155/

• @darcistrutt  Mar 1

I completed my offering for this challenge on this last day! Thanks to all who played along!
    https://fawm.org/songs/99538/

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...