Creative Whack Pack card draws available.

Skip to the bottom

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 14

Again, I'll be drawing a card from the Creative Whack Pack this time around.

Creative Whack Pack by Roger von Oech
    The Creative Whack Pack is a creativity tool. It will "whack" you out of habitual thought patterns and allow you to look at what you're doing in a fresh way. It consists of 64 cards. I shuffle the cards while focusing on your user name, and the card that falls out is yours.

Request a card here. First draws on February 1st (PST)

• @wacha  Jan 15

Sign me up please!

• @auditasum Jan 15

I'm in.

• @coolparadiso  Jan 20

Yeah i will have a go! Thx

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

bumping this for your last minute inspiration! Draws will continue as I see requests throughout FAWM.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

@wacha
    Learn from Mistakes
    On his way to creating the light bulb, Edison discovered 1,800 ways not to build one. One of Madame Curie's failures was radium. Columbus was looking for India. Errors are one of life's primary learning vehicles. That's because success reinforces the way you do things. When you fail, however, you learn what's not working, and you get the opportunity to try new approaches. What mistakes might you make on your current project? What might you learn?

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

@auditasum

Flex your risk muscle
    Bull's eye every time? If so, you're standing too close to the target. As comedian Woody Allen puts it, "If you're not failing ever now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative." Everyone has a "risk muscle." You keep it in shape by trying new things. If you don't, it atrophies and you're not longer able to take chances. How can you exercise your risk muscle?

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

@coolparadiso

Imagine You're the Idea
    Imagine that you're a parking meter. How does it feel when coins are inserted in you? What is it like when you're "expired." How could you be easier to use? Imagine that you're a box of cereal on a grocery shelf. How can you be more attractive? What can you do to force the grocer to give you more shelf space? How would you feel if you were the idea you're developing?

• @tamsnumber4  Feb 1

hit me

• @sherrycanary  Feb 1

Whack me till I'm Wacky

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

@tamsnumber4

See the Obvious
    "Only the most foolish of mice would hide in a cat's ear," says designer Scott Love, "but only the wisest of cats would think to look there." Don't miss the obvious. What are you overlooking? What's the most obvious thing you can do? What resources and solutions are right in front of you?

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

@sherrycanary

Do the Unexpected
    In 1334, Hochosterwitz Castle was besieged by the Duchess of Tyrol. As time wore on, the defenders became desperate: their last food was an ox. The Duchess's situation also was severe: her troops had become unruly, and she had urgent matters elsewhere. Then, the castle's commander had an idea that must have seemed utter folly to his men. He had the last ox thrown over the wall in front of the enemy. The Duchess interpreted this scornful message to mean that the defenders had so much food that they could waste it. At this, the discouraged Duchess quit her siege. Because the commander did the opposite of what the Duchess expected, he made her believe that her siege wasn't working. What surprising tactic can you use to reach your objective?

• @shelleymiller Feb 1

I'll take one.

• @erbaer  Feb 1

I would like a card, please.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

@shelleymiller

Slay a Sacred Cow
    There's a saying that Frederick the Great (1712-1786) Lost the Battle of Jena (1806) meaning that for twenty years after his death, the army perpetuated his successful organization instead of adapting to meet the changes in the art of war. Many rules outlive the purpose for which they were intended. What rule, policy, or way of thinking has been successful for you in the past but may be limiting you now? What can you eliminate? What sacred cow can you slay?

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

@erbaer

Change Viewpoints
    Long ago, a curious plague struck a village. When afflicted, it's victims went into a deathlike coma, and most died within the day. The problem was that the villagers couldn't tell if a victim was dead or alive. After discovering that someone had been buried alive, and alarmed town council convened. The majority-hoping to save lives-voted to put food and water in every coffin. Another group proposed a cheaper solution: Implant a stake in every coffin lid directly over the victim's heart. When closed, all doubts about the victim's condition would vanish. What differentiated the solutions were the questions used to find them. Whereas the first group asked, "What if we bury somebody alive?" the second group asked, "How can we make sure everyone we bury is dead?" Remember: the second assault on the same problem should come from a totally different direction. How can you change your viewpoint?

• @tezzbass  Feb 1

Yes, please!

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

@tezzbass

See the Big Picture
    In 1866 an Iowa farmer watched the construction of the transcontinental railroad near his fields. After seeing the track laid and a locomotive steam through, he thought, "So that's what railroading is all about:tracks and trains." What didn't he see? That he could get his products to more markets more quickly, and that once there they would have to compete against products from many more places. That people could travel from coast to coast in less than a week. That more ideas would be shared, and in that different people would meet and get married. he saw the steel and the wheels, but he didn't see the consequences. What are the larger implications of your idea? How does it fit into the big picture?

• @erbaer  Feb 1

@pearlmanhattan Thanks for the card. It's a good prompt.

• @pocketnaomi  Feb 1

May I please have a card?

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

@pocketnaomi

Listen to your dreams
    Greek philosopher Heraclitus: "To those who are awake, there is one ordered universe, whereas in sleep each man turns away from this world to one of his own." Your dreams can help resolve conflicts, refresh thinking, inspire solutions, and suggest new approaches. Example: chemist August Kekule's dream of six circling snakes inspired his discovery of the benzene molecule ring. how can you relate a recent dream to a current problem?

• @karan  Feb 1

Oh yes, please count me in!

• @bithprod Feb 2

Hit me!

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 2

@karan

Reverse
    Reversing how you look at a situation can open up new possibilities and dislodge assumptions. Example: when everyone else is gazing at a glorious sunset, why not turn around to see the blues and violets behind you? What do you notice when you look at a coffee cup? it's design or color? Reverse your focus and look at the space inside-that's what gives it its functional value. Example: Spend a minute describing a current problem. If you're a male, describe it from the female viewpoint. If you're a female, do the reverse. How can you reverse the way you look at your idea?

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 2

@bithprod

Be Whacky

One day a new product design team got into a really whacky mood and made fun of their product. They were zany and off-the-wall. The meeting was a great success, and many new ideas were generated. The next week, everybody was in a serious mood and no new ideas were generated. Moral: there's a close relationship between the "aha" of discovery and the "haha" of humor, and being whacky stimulates yoru creative juices. As the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu put it, "As soon as you have made a thought, laugh at it." What whacky things can you do to your idea?

• @shelleymiller Feb 5

Here's my song. Thanks so much for the prompt, @pearlmanhattan !
    I really enjoyed this exercise.

https://fawm.org/songs/91265/

Also, not sure what tag we're using for this challenge. I used "whack" and "whackpack", but can edit if there's a different tag folks have already been using. Look forward to hearing everyone's songs 😀

• @moonraccoon  Feb 6

I'd like to give this a try, if I may 😀

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

@moonraccoon

Put a Lion in your Heart
    "To fight a bull when you're not scared is nothing," says a well-known bull fighter. "And not to finght a bull when you are scared is nothing. But to fight a bull when you are scared - that is something." What gives you the courage to act on your ideas? Having a well-thought plan? Encouragement? Faith in the idea? Past success? What puts a lion in your heart?

• @moonraccoon  Feb 6

Thank you, Pearl 😀 I may twist this into Put Some Lyin' in Your Heart.

• @visiblydistorted Feb 6

I would like one, please, @pearlmanhattan

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

@visiblydistorted

Slay a dragon
    Long ago, map makers sketched dragons on maps as a sign to sailors that they would be entering unknown territory at their own risk. Some sailors took this sign quite literally and were afraid to venture on. Others saw the dragons as a sign of opportunity, a door to virgin territory. Similarly, each of us has a mental map of the world complete with dragons. Where does fear hold you back? What dragons can you slay?

Sweet, Thank you!!!
    I'm thinking about a song I wrote like ten years ago about a boyfriend who was basically a dragon... and also StrongBad's song about Trogdor from homestarrunner.com. I wonder if I can combine those themes into something fresh.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

@visiblydistorted.

TROGDORE
    BURNINATE

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

@shelleymiller thank you! Excellent work with the prompt.

And yes, you can tag your songs #whackpack ...and please share them here. Thanks for playing.

Anyone else?

@pearlmanhattan

exactly. it will be so fun... maybe not for the peasants though.

• @reisupstudio  Feb 6

Please draw for me!

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

@reisupstudio r

Solve the right problem

"I'm not returning until you fix it," Count Basie told a club owner whose piano was out of tune. A month later, Basie got a call that everything was fine. When he returned, the piano was still out of tune. "You said you fixed it!" An irate Basie exclaimed. "I did! I had it painted." Are you solving the right problem? Is there a more significant one you are overlooking?

• @loveonamixtape  Feb 6

A card for me, pls!

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

@loveonamixtape

Challenge the Rules
    According to the ancient prophecy, whoever could untie the "Gordian Knot" was destined to become King of Asia. All who tried failed to solve this complicated puzzle. Then Alexander the Great had a turn. After fruitless attempts to find a starting point, he was stymied. Finally, he said, "I'll just have to make up my own knot-untying rules." He pulled out his sword and sliced the knot in half. Asia was fated to him. Most advances have occurred when someone challenge the rules and tried a different approach. What rules can you challenge?

• @izaakalexander  Feb 6

@pearlmanhattan , Oh pick a card for me, please! These look awesome. 😀

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

@izaakalexander

Make a Metaphor
    Philosopher Ortega y Gassett: "the metaphor is probably the most fertile power possessed by man." the key to metaphorical thinking is comparing unrelated concepts and finding similarities between them. example: what do a cat and a refrigerator have in common? They both have a place to put fish; they both have tails, they purr; they come in a variety of colors; and they both have a lifetime of about fifteen years. What similarities does your idea have with cooking a meal? Conducting an orchestra? building a house? Raising a child? Waging war? How can these help you understand your idea in a new way? What can you compare your idea to?

• @karan  Feb 7

Took me a while, but here's my song:
    https://fawm.org/songs/92020/
    Thank you, @pearlmanhattan, for this truly enjoyable challenge!

(By the way, I ordered the Whack Pack. 😉 )

• @robynmackenzie  Feb 7

Can I have one?

• @squeakmouse73 Feb 9

Hit me!

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 9

@robynmackenzie

Focus on the Real Truth
    Two men went to a Sufi court to settle a dispute. After the plaintiff made his case, the judge said, "That's right." Then the defendant made his case, and again the judge said, "That's right." At this, the clerk of the court explained, "They both can't be right!" The judge replied, "That's right." Moral: truth is all around us. What matters is where you put your focus. What's really important? Where should your focus be?

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 9

@squeakmouse73

Hear the Knock of Opportunity
    A leading business school did a study that showed that it's graduates did well at first, but in ten years, they were overtaken by a more streetwise, pragmatic group. The reason according to the professor who ran the study: "We taught them how to solve problems, not to recognize the opportunities." Where do you hear opportunity knocking? How can you answer it?

• @ayancia Feb 9

ya know, if you're still pulling, I'll give it a shot 😁

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 9

@ayancia

Imagine How Others Would do It
    What people do you respect for a creative achievement? A leader in your field? A teacher? A parent? Now, imagine that one of these people is responsible for developing your concept. What would they do? how would they approach it? How would someone else change your idea?

• @ayancia Feb 9

Oh I'm supposed to

Hey this helped me finish a song I had only written the chorus for. Lyrics only but do a read?
    https://fawm.org/songs/92509/

• @visiblydistorted Feb 12

Oopsie, forgot to share my dragon slaying #whackpack song https://fawm.org/songs/91705/

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...