Annual 4-track Challenge!!!

Skip to the bottom

• @zecoop  Jan 14

The last three years we have had a growing number of brave souls who go OLD-school and record a part onto cassette tape. The physical tape is then mailed through the post, to the next person on the list, who adds one part and sends it on to the next person. The last person mixes the four tracks and uploads the song. The results have been amazing.

This tape from 2018 went around the world, Japan – UK – USA!!!:
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/pro...
    This one from 2018 is super fun and crossed the Atlantic:
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/aut...

This one from 2016 is a straight up garage rocker:
    http://www.nancyrost.com/audio/4Track...
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/hid...
    This one from 2015 sounded like a legit 80's college radio song:
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/emo...
    If you have a functional 4-track cassette tape player speak up... Please understand that for this project to work, you must COMMIT to make time to complete your parts as fast as possible and mail them using USPS Priority Mail (or something else that will arrive in several days. Nothing worse than putting effort in and then having the tape die in the mail, or on a desk somewhere.

• @nancyrost  Jan 14

I'm in!

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 14

I am in!!

And planning to purchase a blank tape or two before FAWM. What kind am I getting? It's the type 2? Refresh my memory please. Thanks!!

• @nancyrost  Jan 14

Type 2, high bias.

Thanks @nancyrost

• @tesla3090  Jan 14

I have one, but it seems to have wow and flutter issues. Anyone have advice on dealing with that?

• @vomvorton  Jan 14

Count me in!

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 14

IN!! I also have a new blank tape i didn't get round to starting for 5090 so i can start one, but would like to do at least one that i am later on.

• @zecoop  Jan 14

@tesla3090 - roll with it... It'll be part of the song. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Jan 14

Some additional info:
    We try to make it as universal as possible, so all tapes are recorded at standard speed (not 2X) and without noise-reduction, since not all players have these features. Of course, not all players play at the same speed either, so there are always some unexpected sounds and effects. 

The first person will record their part on the first track and a click track on a separate track (unless the first part is a drum part that will keep the beat). Any notes that tell the collaborators the structure and chords are very much appreciated (V, V, Ch, V, Br, etc…). The last person records over the click track (if there is one), mixes and puts it up on FAWM. Be sure to write on the label what instrument you played, what track # it is on and your FAWM name.

All those who have participated in previous years have found it to be a VERY fun experience re-living the glory days of analog!!! Each song has turned out to be such a sonic adventure. If you are interested let me know! We can get you added to the snail-mail address list.
    @pfoo @standup @marvsmooth @fourzeroes @songsville @alboe @nancyrost @eargoggle @elesimo @guatecoop @Alboe @wobbiewobbit @fourzeroes @bachelorb @oblivionratula @vomvorton @shoehaze @cloudboy @cts @burrsettles

• @zecoop  Jan 14

Here's the list of tapes:
    TBD

• @burrsettles  Jan 14

i'm in!! i have a preference for being LAST (4th) in the chain and participate in up to TWO tapes. any instrument/part is OK.

• @metalfoot  Jan 14

Neighbour across the street has a 4-track recorder, I think... I'll check and get back to you, @zecoop !

• @w1n  Jan 14

I have make sure all the channels on my 4 track is actually still working but it would be cool to join.
    I would have to either end or start a cassette since I live i Norway.

• @zecoop  Jan 14

@metalfoot - !!!!!!!!!!!! πŸ˜€

@burrsettles - Sounds good!! Your contributions were awesome last year!

• @vomvorton  Jan 14

I'm up for featuring on a few tapes, and I'm always happy to mix down at the end. I guess I'll start one off too even though that's the hardest bit! Pretty sure I still have some blanks...

• @elesimo  Jan 14

I'm in! I would love to do at least 4 tapes, one in each position.

• @eargoggle  Jan 14

You know I'm in....

• @pfoo  Jan 15

I'm in! Looking forward to it - these are some of my favorite songs.

• @standup  Jan 15

I am sooooo in. This is always one of the most surprising and fun aspects of FAWM.

• @bachelorb  Jan 15

Zee....... sign me up whenever/ wherever..... I don’t know how much I’ll be committing to my solo stuff this year, but 4-tracks..... I’m all in!!!!

• @fourzeroes  Jan 16

In.

• @rickcannon Jan 16

I will definitely participate in some way, the only caveat being I cannot go second and also follow the rules. For some reason my recorder erases all four tracks as it records track 2. I’m sure it’s an alignment issue, but I don’t have much experience with them and it’s pretty easy to just work around it. Can’t wait to see what happens!

• @zecoop  Jan 16

@rickcannon - I can definitely figure out tapes for you that are not track 2. πŸ˜€

• @elainedimasi  Jan 17

I thought this was a ton of fun. I was a pain for the group to collaborate with, however, because my Tascam Portastudio is an 8-track that divides the tape tracks in half and runs at 2x speed. It sorta worked but is too much trouble. So I'll hang out and comment.

@rickcannon you can "go second" and record on track 3 or 4 leaving track 2 blank, if I get what you're saying. What you can't do is go last, where track 2 is the track that was left for you. ? @zecoop

• @zecoop  Jan 17

@elainedimasi and @rickcannon - Definitely... There's no rule that you have to use track 2 if you are second (or first or whatever). Use any open track and write that down so the next person knows what is left. I'll just make sure whatever you get doesn't ONLY have track 2 left on it. πŸ˜€

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 17

Ok. I want to buy a 4 or 8 track cassette player this year. Tell me what I should get. Is there a good used one I should look for? I'm guessing Reverb.com is a good place to go.

@zecoop I'm wanting in. I will order a 4track tonight. Going back to my routes. Then maybe I can give it to my boy to learn how to record with. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Jan 17

@stevenwesleyguiles - YESSSSSSSSSS......
    I highly recommend Tascam. The operation just makes so much more sense to me than Fostex and others. I have two Tascam 424mkII, which I absolutely adore. The original 424 is awesome, but doesn't have the XLR. The 424mkIII is also great, just make sure it has a power chord (proprietary and hard to find). But the simpler Tascams are great too. (I also have a Tascam 488 mkII, which is sweet - can't wait to play with that for some of my FAWM songs this year)

• @standup  Jan 17

I stumbled on a Peavey 4-track, it's an all-metal box made in the USA supposedly. But then it started running slow and we got a Tascam 424, which has been great. But now the Peavey's fixed, and it's all wired into my studio, ready to rock.

But those Peaveys are super rare. Cheap if you find them. But it's hard to go wrong with a Tascam.

• @standup  Jan 17

Holy crap they've gotten expensive on Reverb.com. I just took a look. Before you go there, at least take a look at your local Craigslist. And maybe call around to a music store or two.

• @zecoop  Jan 17

Facebook marketplace as well. Yea, all the young indie bands want cassette now. (WE WERE COOL FIRST!!!!) Also check shopgoodwill.com - there usually are some on there, although they get up there in price too.

• @nancyrost  Jan 17

I had good luck on eBay as well.

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 17

Shopgoodwill.com is sometimes helpful if you're in the usa

• @rickcannon Jan 17

@elainedimasi @zecoop Thank you both!
    To those looking for recorders, try shopgoodwill.com! They don't always guarantee much if any testing, but that's why were my Portastudio came from. Also got a Fostex recorder I need to have repaired since the play heads are stuck up in play/record position and won't go back down.

Ordered. I'll have my first fourtrack since the early 90s. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Jan 17

Third time's the charm on shopgoodwill, LOLOL

Awesome @stevenwesleyguiles - what did you end up with?

• @zecoop  Jan 18

If anyone needs tapes and can't find them in their local store, Delta Media is a good place to get them. Here's a link to their Type II cassettes. 25 for $50
    https://bit.ly/2CrXCeH

• @metalfoot  Jan 18

I still need to check with my neighbour if his 4-track is in good working order and/or if I can run across the street and spend an hour in his music cave!

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 18

25 tapes?? @zecoop maybe we could all pitch in a few bucks and do a FAWM deal lol

• @zecoop  Jan 18

@pearlmanhattan - yea they used to have more options. Bummer that is the only type II package they have. Only 90 minute tapes too. But, they are getting hard to find, so I just wanted to throw it out there

• @scottlake  Jan 18

I have boxes full of cassettes that I β€˜ripped’ from LPs. Most of my vinyl was played one time only; while I made those cassettes. Never had a 4-track but now I’m wanting one and I would probably record over one of those old cassettes

• @zecoop  Jan 18

@scottlake - i did that for a while. I found a great deal on Maxwell XLIIS and TDK pro on Amazon right before all the indie bands wanted them again. Then I got some from Delta. They are really expensive now... 😳

• @rickcannon Jan 18

Y'all, definitely check shopgoodwill right now. There's a ton of 4-tracks currently up. Lots of Tascam, a couple Yamaha. Usually decent prices if you keep an eye on them.

• @scottlake  Jan 18

None for a reasonable price on my local used music equipment for sale boards. Way more iPads available with change leftover to buy amazing music apps. I like the nostalgia of this idea but my practical side is clearly stopping me from participating

• @standup  Jan 18

I got my 4-track(s) enough years ago they were about $100-$150 each, which I considered reasonable at the time. The trend had not quite hit. It would be hard for me to shell out $500 for a 4-track deck. Of course I had a $75 repair done to one of them.

What I like about the 4-track thing is not just the cheesy sound. It actually changes the way you play and record music. There’s no β€œundo” button. There’s no precise zooming in on a single note and β€œdeleting” it. Punching in to change a part is a challenge. It changes your mindset β€” you actually have to try to play the part complete and correct all the way through, and probably accept the imperfections as Good Enough. Which is fun after so many years doing this on a computer.

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 18

I was gifted my old tascam a couple years ago, bought a cord for it on amazon and I use a very cheap mic. I also love how it forces one take recordings. I live the challenge because it challenges me to work harder at the technical skills and work with others.

• @zecoop  Jan 18

Right on @pearlmanhattan ansd @standup πŸ˜€ I've always loved recording on my 4-track but also really love working with a DAW and getting really deep in tracks and complexity. They are two completely different things. What I especially love about the 4-track challenge is how it completely transformed how I view collaborations. You just have no idea what's going to happen. Plus the old school part about physically mailing it guarantees more interaction and cooperation.

• @elesimo  Jan 18

I have 2 Tascam 414 at home... I actually bought 3 of them from Ebay, listed as "for parts", and I was able to fix 2 of them using parts from the third one (its sacrifice will never be forgotten!). It required some soldering, but mostly changing belts, cleaning and demagnetizing.

Unfortunately I discovered in 2017 that the 414 has a single speed, and it's the wrong one! I just recorded in the wrong speed, which was fun when I finally listened to the mixed song.

For 2018 I bought a Tascam 424 that I found on Craigslist during the first days of FAWM. It's a big improvement over the 414, and it has double speeds. Like @standup said, the prices are going up, and it's getting harder to find them.

I also have an 8 track (Tascam 488). I wonder if I can find 7 more people with a similar model?! 😁

• @elesimo  Jan 18

I'm wondering if I should buy a pack of the tapes @zecoop linked... I search for the ones I used to buy on Amazon (Audio Pro, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...) and they're no longer being sold. 😞

• @zecoop  Jan 18

@elesimo - The tapes are getting really hard to find! When I got them from that place they were 40 minute tapes (20 per side) and now they only have 90 min ones. Amazon has some ridiculous prices if you can find anything.

I have a 488mkII that I'll be using. 😎

• @standup  Jan 18

I think there are a few 488 users around (or other 8-track cassette with the same format)

• @standup  Jan 18

Tomorrow I’m picking up a non-working Tascam 4-track deck to take on as a project. For $50, which is what they used to cost 10 years ago. Maybe I can get it working before FAWM, and I’m open to passing it along to a FAWM’er who needs one. BUT it only runs at β€œdouble speed” so it’s not actually compatible with what we’re doing here. So I guess once it works I’ll probably turn around and resell it.

• @elesimo  Jan 18

@zecoop are you using the 488 for the 4-track challenge? Does it work with 4 tracks? Or you mean you're using it in general during FAWM?

@standup you could record the first track, and send the tape *with* the recorder. πŸ˜€

• @standup  Jan 18

@elesimo that’s a fun idea!

• @zecoop  Jan 18

@elesimo - Not using the 8 track for the 4 track challenge, but as far as I know, if that was all someone had they probably could figure out a way, like Elaine did. My 488mkII only has 2x, but the 8 tracks do line up within the 4 tracks, I believe, since they are both Tascam. I am not sure which tracks are where on the actual tape, but I do have that info in a book at home.

@standup - it is possible to play things at 2x and play along. It is more of an advanced thing though, but can work.

• @tesla3090  Jan 20

@zecoop sign me up. I'd prefer a middle or even final part as I can do the mixing and digitizing. I'll have to play with the deck for a bit in January and see if I can fix the wow and flutter issues. Otherwise, apologies to anyone who doesn't want a super low-fi sound. πŸ˜€

• @nancyrost  Jan 20

We should probably start getting addresses together so we're ready to go when FAWM starts. If you're new to the 4-track challenge, or your address has changed, you can email me through my profile and I'll make a list so we know where to mail the tapes.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 20

I've never done this before. @zecoop place me anywhere in the chain. Tell me what to do. Boss me around. I'll play any instrument or sing any melody. (Ok...I can't play wind instruments...so, that would be off the table...but most other stuff I can do).

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 20

@stevenwesleyguiles it's not nearly that formal or directed! You give notice to send tapes to you, when you get it, you pick an empty track, and fill it with whatever you like. Then you send it on to the next person. You play whatever you feel led to play - they're like a mystery secret gift exchange, only the next recipient knows what's on it. You're gonna love this!!

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 20

I should add, I'm not experienced with digitizing from tape to mp3, but I can start a tape (lay down a click track) but I don't own any blank tapes at this time. So if I'm the last person on a tape, I'll have to send it to someone to digitize and upload. I will practice with the tapes I get, and hopefully by next year will have figured out how to digitize them. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Jan 20

@stevenwesleyguiles - yep... What she said. It's a free for all and no one knows where the song's are going. You can add anything into your one track that you'd like!

• @zecoop  Jan 21

If anyone is interested in the complete collection of the 4-track songs from 2018, here's a link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P0L...

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 24

@zecoop @nancyrost @standup
    So, I should PROBABLY be using 15 minute tapes, yes?
    Does anyone have spares they'd sell me?

Or could we (any of us?) go in on a bulk order of tapes?
    Or point me to a reliable source?

Thanks!

Just got my 4-track in the mail.
    Much excitements!!

• @nancyrost  Jan 24

@stevenwesleyguiles I'm down to my last two. I could send you one with a track and a blank one for you to start? I don't remember what the turnaround time is at Delta Media, so if it's too late for this fawm maybe we could go in on a bulk order before 50/90 and next fawm.

• @guatecoop  Jan 24

I can just send you a couple @stevenwesleyguiles No worries. I’m happy to support a new 4 tracker!

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 24

@guatecoop That would be amazing! Thanks! πŸ˜€ I'll send you some merch or somethin'. πŸ˜€ And thanks @nancyrost too! πŸ˜€

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 24

I can pitch in a few bucks for a bulk order if that happens. Paypal or vendmo. Lol. I can't find any affordable ones.

• @standup  Jan 24

I think C60 cassettes are kind of ideal, so 30 minutes for a 4-track, or 15 minutes of music at double speed.

I have a couple boxes of high end TDK SMX-20 super duper high end tapes that I got off Amazon years ago when nobody thought they were worth anything. So 10 minutes a side, maybe 2 takes of a song. Or one 5 minute song at double speed.

Things have changed. I think the Delta Media tapes are on par with the old Maxxell and TDK tapes, or close enough.

For a while you could shop for Radio Shack brand Type II tapes that were rebadged TDK or Maxxell tapes but went cheaper.

I think the solution now, other than Delta Media, is to go to thrift stores and find a box of cassettes that somebody recorded Rush and Madonna on to play in the car, and record over those.

I still have enough Delta and other tapes that I’m not there yet. But that day will come.

• @zecoop  Jan 24

@stevenwesleyguiles - Any tape will work, truth be told. The sound will be way better with type II but type I works. You may be able to get better sound from a shorter length tape but a 90 minute one will do. I have a bunch of could send you too, but if you end up with a tape this year, you can always recycle it next year. once again, you may get a Sonic difference (or not) by reusing. It's all good

• @zecoop  Jan 24

@stevenwesleyguiles - the only real source now days is Delta media and there a link up above somewhere to the 25 pack. They are 90 minute tapes I think but are type II. They used to have more variety, but most of their tapes now are type I.

Edit: Here's the link again https://bit.ly/2CrXCeH

• @vomvorton  Jan 24

I've done a bulk order if anyone from the UK wants a couple to work with? Just let me know and I'll get 'em to you before February starts.

Naturally I also found five wrapped tapes in a drawer AFTER making the bulk order. I'm set for life!

• @fourzeroes  Jan 26

I think I got like 24 blank, still wrapped tapes from a charity shop a few years back, and I've still got all bar two somewhere.

• @oblivionratula  Jan 26

I need to catch up on all things FAWM, including this thread, but I'm interested in doing a tape or two again and can be the mixer.

• @helenseviltwin  Jan 26

My bandmate has offered to lend me a 4 track so count me in πŸ˜€ (would rather not start)

• @zecoop  Jan 26

@vomvorton @fourzeroes - I think the tapes might be, ahem... "multiplying". Just leave the door closed for a couple nights, lol. πŸ˜‰

@oblivionratula and @helenseviltwin - Great news!!!

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 28

Quick tech question - I'm new with all this sound engineering stuff so be gentle plz LOL

I've just been plugging a mic into the Tascam Porta2 mic jack, and my headphones into the phones jack, would it be possible to plug the out from the Audio interface into the mic port of the Porta2, kinda like we used to do in the 70s to record "Album Hour" onto cassette from the radio station, and record a track onto the tape that way? Is a reverse of that process kinda how you "digitize" the tapes? I don't have a tape handy to practice my theory yet. Thanks for the help.

• @standup  Jan 28

You could do that, run your signal through effects in the DAW, out ot the output, and into the Porta 2. I usually dump all the tracks into my computer before sending a tape off, as a backup. That way I could record them all back onto a fresh cassette if I wanted to.

The output from the audio interface might be a lot hotter than a microphone, so you would probably turn down the volume on the interface and the input volume on the Porta 2, watch your levels so things don't completely overload.

• @standup  Jan 28

Just a reminder to everyone: On a computer you don't want or need HOT levels. On the 4-track you do! Make those meters go almost all the way to the top when recording onto 4-track cassette. If you go over a little, you get a bit of distortion, but not like a computer where it's a disaster.

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 28

Thanks so much! I'll be running everything through the DAW to the Porta, and with porting it through to the DAW before calling it good, I'll make sure to have my levels up. I know I've been kinda quiet in the past but I think this setup will help me get the levels up safely.

• @elesimo  Jan 29

@zecoop should we start planning the tapes? Since FAWM starts on Friday, I was hoping I could start a tape on the 1st and mail it the same day (over the weekend).

• @zecoop  Jan 29

@elesimo - yes... I'm going to be getting official tonight or tomorrow and start the plans. I'll mark you down to start one. Let me know what you'll be playing and don't forget to put a click on there if you aren't starting with drums/rhythm πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Jan 29

OK... Here we go - if anyone else would like to start a tape, please let me know.

FAWM 2019 4-Track cassette listings

Track 1 - @zecoop
    Track 2 - @stevenwesleyguiles
    Track 3 - @bachelorb
    Track 4 - @burrsettles

Track 1 - @zecoop
    Track 2 - @elesimo
    Track 3 - @rickcannon
    Track 4 - @pearlmanhattan

Track 1 - @guatecoop
    Track 2 - @cts
    Track 3 - @eargoggle
    Track 4 - @burrsettles

Track 1 - @vomvorton
    Track 2 - @helenseviltwin
    Track 3 - @marvsmooth
    Track 4 - @wobbiewobbit

Track 1 - @elesimo
    Track 2 - @pearlmanhattan
    Track 3 - @oblivionratula
    Track 4 - @standup / @pfoo

Track 1 - @standup
    Track 2 - @pfoo
    Track 3 - @cynthiawolff
    Track 4 - @cts

Track 1 - @pfoo
    Track 2 - @standup
    Track 3 - @pearlmanhattan
    Track 4 - @tesla3090

Track 1 - @wobbiewobbit
    Track 2 - @fourzeroes
    Track 3 - @marvsmooth
    Track 4 - @vomvorton

Track 1 - @eargoggle
    Track 2 - @guatecoop
    Track 3 - @stevenwesleyguiles
    Track 4 - @zecoop

Track 1 - @stevenwesleyguiles
    Track 2 - @nancyrost
    Track 3 - @rickcannon
    Track 4 - @oblivionratula

Track 1 - @marvsmooth
    Track 2 - @vomvorton
    Track 3 - @helenseviltwin
    Track 4 - @fourzeroes

Track 1 - @bachelorb
    Track 2 - @nancyrost
    Track 3 - @cynthiawolff
    Track 4 - @tesla3090

Track 1 - @zecoop
    Track 2 - @guatecoop
    Track 3 - @pfoo
    Track 4 - @standup

Track 1 - @nancyrost
    Track 2 - @bachelorb
    Track 4 - @elesimo

15 (->US)
    Track 1 - @marvsmooth
    Track 2 - @zecoop
    Track 3 - @oblivionratula
    Track 4 - @metalfoot

16 (-> US)
    Track 1 - @wobbiewobbit
    Track 2 - @nancyrost
    Track 3 - @pfoo
    Track 4 -@standup

17 (-> US)
    Track 1 - @vomvorton
    Track 2 - @elesimo
    Track 3 - @nancyrost
    Track 4 - @zecoop

18 (-> UK)
    Track 1 - @zecoop
    Track 2 - @wobbiewobbit
    Track 4 - @vomvorton

Track 1: @marvsmooth
    Track 2: @zecoop
    Track 3:
    Track 4: @burrsettles

Track 2: @vomvorton
    Track 3:
    Track 4:

• @zecoop  Jan 29

Just a refresher, to start a tape, record a click track onto Track 4 and then record your, whatever you want, onto Track 1. The next person records onto track 2 (or 3 if their track 2 doesn't work), etc, and the last person records over the click. If you are starting with a drum or rhythm, then you don't need to do the click. πŸ˜€

Anything you want. Anything goes. There are no rules. Have fun!!!

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 29

is this when we make known our willingness to receive a tape for Track 2? USA please.

• @zecoop  Jan 29

@pearlmanhattan - yep! Anyone who would like to take a track 2, speak up! We need to know where the water headed next.

I will try hard to spread them out as evenly as possible. The more variety the better, with different combinations... It's going to be fun

• @zecoop  Jan 29

My phone is dumb. The tapes, ahem, not the water. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• @elesimo  Jan 29

@zecoop I'll play synth in tape 5 track 1.

Also, can I be track 2 in tape 2? I would love to play guitar over the organ. πŸ˜€

@zecoop be thankful your phone is just dumb - my phone hates me and autocorrects the most harmless words to the most vile... I'm a very careful texter LOL

• @nancyrost  Jan 29

I'll take a track 2. @zecoop want to match me up randomly?

just match me up with a USA tape and I'll put *something* on it LOL

• @zecoop  Jan 29

@wobbiewobbit @vomvorton @marvsmooth @fourzeroes @helenseviltwin - Do you want me to just mix and match or do you want to get added with intent? And anyone sending anything over the pond?

@w1n @alboe - Are you guys in?

• @zecoop  Jan 29

@burrsettles @tesla3090 @bachelorb @cts @oblivionratula @rickcannon

I'll get everyone worked in, and there will VERY likely be more tapes than just these too. We have all your specific needs/desires written down. Wait... that sounded wrong, lol πŸ˜‰

• @elesimo  Jan 29

Yeah, I think last year we did 18 tapes.

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 29

i am up for being mix n matched however it goes... i would very much like to receive one from US and likewise would be up for sending one to US, that said I also like our UK branch and obvs time is a constraint. I would also like to be last and mix one and to be honest getting tapes in the post in a timely fashion is as much of a challenge for me as recording on them! (i liked sending one stateside cos you can do a pick up service for not much Β£ and i love the thing of the tapes travelling so far) thanks for organizing this @zecoop !

• @vomvorton  Jan 29

@zecoop we should definitely make sure some of the tapes cross various oceans, that's part of the fun for me! I might try to start more than one since I'm LITERALLY DROWNING in cassettes...

• @helenseviltwin  Jan 29

I have no real preference other than not to start. As I haven't used a 4 track since my teens, it may be best that I don't finish and mix down either...

• @w1n  Jan 29

@zecoop I'm waiting for the verdict of the repairman, had to deliver it for service, cause only 3 tracks were working and the motor is a bit uneven πŸ˜’. Promised to get back to me before Thursday.

• @bachelorb  Jan 29

I can start one...or two..... After last year's (or was it the year before....) synthesizer experiment that @standup did, I have this idea of starting with vocals this year on one, just to see how it turns out

• @zecoop  Jan 29

I filled in all the tapes, trying to randomize and get it as even as possible, and still following everyone's wishes/abilities. I just thought this might be easier, since generally we are a pretty low key bunch and love to have fun. If I missed anyone let me know, or if you have too many assignments, let me know. Things can be changed and there will be more tapes for sure... From here on out it will likely be filled in with volunteers. πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Jan 29

@zecoop, thanks for organizing this!

If there are more tapes I'd like to do 2 more, one as track 3 and another as track 4. If not, no worries. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Jan 29

@elesimo - It can definitely happen..

Anyone else that would like to start a tape, just let me know and I'll get it put on the list! I think @vomvorton @wobbiewobbit and @marvsmooth are planning on sending tapes over to the US and we'll most likely have some headed that way too.

• @nancyrost  Jan 29

I'll start one, and I'd like to do another as track 3.

• @marvsmooth  Jan 29

That looks great to me!

I’m starting two tapes then?

• @zecoop  Jan 29

@marvsmooth - Also on middle tracks for Tapes 4 and 8 if that isn't too much! πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Jan 29

@marvsmooth @zecoop I'll take one of those spots if it's too much, let me know! πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Jan 29

I'm in for the lot!

• @bachelorb  Jan 30

ahhhh..... Just tested the TASCAM 424 and I'm good for another year (I know..... I should have already done that....). Anyway sign me up for another one please (or two if you're having a hard time filling slots) πŸ˜€

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 30

@zecoop Sorry if I missed this or am just dense - do I just ASK someone to send me a tape? Are you setting up "groups"?

I'll play drums, guitar, bass, or sing. Whatevs. πŸ˜€ First year with a four track since the early 90s...so, it'll be a learning curve. But I know my instruments... πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Jan 30

@stevenwesleyguiles - if you are listed as track 1 you are first. Add the click on 4 and something else on track 1. Then ask me the address of the person on track 2. They are listed in the order that they will be recorded. If you are listed as tracks 2,3, or 4, then as soon as the person in front of you in done they will say that in this forum. They will ask me for your address You'll get it, once it starts. πŸ˜€

Track 1 is first and they go in order from there. Make sense?

• @zecoop  Jan 30

@stevenwesleyguiles - also... There are no rules. You can add whatever you feel like. Freedom!

• @zecoop  Jan 31

@bachelorb - Added you to Nancy's tape 14!

(glad the deck works!!!) LOL

• @bachelorb  Jan 31

Thank you sir....... I’ve really been procrastinating this year..... I have about a third of the β€œstudio” to get organized yet (organized means move the lawn chairs and picnic coolers off of the sound desk and keyboards πŸ˜€ )

• @cts  Jan 31

So I'm on tape 3 and 6...got it! This is going to be so much fun. I am going to make sure I get a tracking slip this go round! πŸ˜€

• @shoehaze Jan 31

I'm afraid I'll be too busy this month to participate in the 4-track challenge. Have fun!

• @cynthiawolff  Jan 31

Worth repeating me thinks...

Get a Priority Mail box at the Post Office...small one..
    Costs 8 bucks but they get to the recipient in two days...
    The quickest, most reliable method...

• @elesimo  Feb 1

@nancyrost do we have a list of the addresses in a Google Docs somewhere? I need @pearlmanhattan's address, I'm planning to send her tape 5 tomorrow before lunch! πŸ˜€

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

I got it, @nancyrost @elesimo I'll email you through your page

• @zecoop  Feb 1

Absolutely - Listen to the wisdom of @cynthiawolff !!!!!!

We will miss you @shoehaze 😞

I'm going to get both of my starters in the mail by Saturday. I am so excited! πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 1

Dear all first track people... Have fun and get your track done as soon as you can, then get it in the mail, using "Priority Mail" or something similarly fast. When you are ready, let us know here and either I or the person on track 2 can let you know their address. πŸ˜€

Here... We... GOOOOOOOOOOOO..........

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 1

Also, you can order a pack of the priority mail boxes online at the US Postal Service website and have them delivered to your house - for free.

• @vomvorton  Feb 1

I’ll hopefully get two tapes started this weekend. Can @helenseviltwin and @elesimo send me their addresses please?

• @vomvorton  Feb 1

Right, tape 17 has bass on it and has been sent off on a transatlantic voyage to @elesimo ! I've also stocked up on stamps for the UK tapes so I'll get tape 4 rolling just as soon as I've recovered from going outside (you know when you think you're getting over a cold, then you walk up a hill and your chest says "ahahaha you're not better at all!"? Well, that)

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 1

@vomvorton - this is the joy of living in Cambridge. No hills.

• @nancyrost  Feb 1

I'm heading to the post office now to mail Tape 14, Track 1 to @bachelorb !

• @standup  Feb 1

I'm at work and y'all are already dropping cassettes in the mail! I predict ours will go out Monday.

• @elesimo  Feb 1

Tape 5 is on the mail to @pearlmanhattan, should arrive by Monday! πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 2

Tapes 1 (drums) and 2 (Hammond Organ) are done and going in the mail tomorrow to @stevenwesleyguiles and @elesimo respectively. πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Feb 2

Tape 12 is Done and headed for the post office Monday..... I think I discovered why no one ever starts a tape with lyrics...... πŸ˜€

• @cloudboy Feb 2

Life got crazy (in a good way) this year. I don't think I'll be able to participate in the challenge (or FAWM for that matter). I look forward to hearing all y'alls creations!

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 2

Hello Tape 10 Buddies!
    I have officially mailed my contribution and it is rushing off to Nancy right now!

Tape 10
    Track 2 - @nancyrost
    Track 3 - @rickcannon

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 3

plan to do track 1 of tape 16 today to get it across the ocean at the earliest opportunity, can you let me know where i should post it please. thanks πŸ˜€

• @oblivionratula  Feb 3

Nice, @stevenwesleyguiles ! I touched base with @rickcannon to give him my address. Getting stoked! Had so much fun with these last year. My Tascam is demagnetized, cleaned, and READY.

• @nancyrost  Feb 3

@wobbiewobbit you can post it to me. I'll send you my address.

• @vomvorton  Feb 3

I've put some guitar on Tape 4 now, and that one will be in the post to @helenseviltwin tomorrow.

• @zecoop  Feb 3

@marvsmooth - When you get something tape 15, send it to me. πŸ˜€

Tape 15 (to the US)
    Track 1 - @marvsmooth
    Track 2 - @zecoop
    Track 3 -
    Track 4 -

• @standup  Feb 4

Tape 6 is going to Cynthia Wolff tomorrow. Priority Mail. I ain't messin' around this time.

• @elesimo  Feb 4

@zecoop I'd love to mix a tape... can you add me as 4th track on one of the remaining tapes when you have the chance? Thanks!

• @zecoop  Feb 4

@elesimo - Absolutely! We are kind of at the volunteer stage, and we can always start more!! I'm really hoping people do!!!!! πŸ˜€

Hey everyone, feel free to start more tapes! Double FAWM win?!?!! πŸ˜€

• @eargoggle  Feb 4

Yowza! Just noticed I am supposed to start Tape 9. I'll do this tomorrow. @zecoop can you email me @guatecoop 's mailing address?

• @nancyrost  Feb 4

@eargoggle address sent.

• @standup  Feb 4

Tape 6 IS in fact in the mail. You can save $2 or s using USPS pre-printed Priority Mail packaging. They're free. I picked up a couple for the next tape.

• @zecoop  Feb 4

@standup - What do you have to do? Order them with an online account? Not sure what pre-printed means, I guess.

• @standup  Feb 4

Maybe that was unclear. At the post office they have the empty Priority Mail boxes and envelopes you can pick up for free -- with the Post Office logo and "Priority Mail" printed on the outside. Pre-printed. I think you can order them online and get them delivered to your house.

• @zecoop  Feb 4

Oh right - Those are the boxes I use! Way ahead of you Eric, lolol πŸ˜‰

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 4

And you *can* order those free online and have them delivered for FREE to your house too... but if you go to the PO to mail it, be sure to pick up a couple πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 4

Lucky Tape 13 Band - the tape is headed for Track 2 with some loud crunchy fast electric guitar. πŸ˜€

Tape 13
    Track 1 - @zecoop
    Track 2 - @guatecoop
    Track 3 - @pfoo
    Track 4 - @standup

• @elesimo  Feb 5

@zecoop, I got Tape 2! Will record something and send it out tomorrow. @rickcannon, can you email me your address?

• @nancyrost  Feb 5

Tape 10 is also going out to @rickcannon tomorrow.

• @elesimo  Feb 5

@rickcannon I just recorded Tape 2, and I'm on my way to the post office. You should have it by Friday. I wrote down the chord progression as best as I could, since @zecoop didn't provide it. 😝

@pearlmanhattan, when it's your turn to finish Tape 2 feel free to mix the separate tracks if you want, removing the guitar from certain parts or making it lower. Right now it's all over the place. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 5

@elesimo - thanks! I'd add it is I knew what I was playing. I could put root notes I guess. The problems with playing by ear...

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 5

@elesimo Got it. Will be my first time finishing a tape, hope I do yall all proud! Also, the weather shut down my town yesterday, but the roads and conditions are better, so hopefully they'll deliver tape 5 today. I'll let you know when it gets here.

• @bachelorb  Feb 5

Tape 12 is gone!! I sure am glad for these things.... I'm really struggling on regular songs this year....

• @elesimo  Feb 5

@zecoop no worries, it's a great learning experience trying to figure out the chords! I started with the melody, figured out the scale (Cm) and then the chords came out easily.

@pearlmanhattan I'm sure it will come out great! In the past, when I did track 4 I would record my part to the tape, then load all 4 tracks separately into my DAW and mix in the computer before uploading, but that requires an audio interface with 4+ inputs. You can also mix it directly in the 4-track recorder, and just export the stereo out to the computer.

I like being track 1 because it gives you the freedom to set the tone of the song (though the final result can still be surprising!), and I like being track 4 because you have the freedom to mix the song.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 5

@elesimo Was just gonna port the tracks into the DAW one at a time through the AI and match them up.

• @elesimo  Feb 5

@pearlmanhattan that should work too, depending on your 4-track. My 4-track has some variations in speed when playing the tape, so it's hard to align the tracks if I export them one by one. 😝

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 5

@elesimo good advice - I'll test it out on the track that is coming and see, I think mine is pretty good with speed...

• @zecoop  Feb 5

@pearlmanhattan and @elesimo : You can bring two tracks in at a time by panning 1 L and 2 R, then next time around panning 3 L and 4 R. That way you have less chance of things not lining up due to speed variations.

• @metalfoot  Feb 5

Reminder to @zecoop - if you want me in on any of these, the 4-track my neighbour owns doesn't do track 3, so I'd probably have to be track 4.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 5

But @metalfoot . . . if it doesn't do Track 3, how are you going to do the final mix? Or does it just not RECORD track 3, but can play back?

• @metalfoot  Feb 5

Not entirely sure; I think it's just a recording issue?

• @eargoggle  Feb 6

@guatecoop Tape 9 is on its way to you, as of yesterday....priority mail, so hopefully you get it in a couple days, let's go USPS!

• @bachelorb  Feb 6

Tape 14 is in Chelsea Oklahoma!!!! Now to break it open

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

Tape 5 is on the back of a 2 day priority eagle winging it's way to @oblivionratula. I will dm the tracking number later tonight.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

Oh and on tape 5, track 2 is lyrics/vocals. Thanks

• @eargoggle  Feb 7

Got my first 4 track song up today, I'm hoping for several more this month. It's not a collaboration but if anybody wants to listen to more cassette music (!) here it is-
    https://fawm.org/songs/92032/

• @guatecoop  Feb 7

Hey @cts tape 3 is headed your way by Saturday. Could you mark it tape 3? I didn’t. If you have any questions just ask!

• @zecoop  Feb 7

Killer @eargoggle... LOVED that. I am feeling inspired. πŸ˜€

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 7

I got @vomvorton's tape earlier this week and a borrowed 4-track this evening, so I'll aim to get mine done tomorrow πŸ˜€

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 8

@standup
    Received tape 6 today...
    Won’t be able to start on it till later in the day.

Should get it posted in the mail tomorrow (Saturday)so it doesn’t hang out at the post office all weekend

Update
    Well that didn’t happen! I have started working on it.
    And will bring to the post office for the 10am post..

• @zecoop  Feb 8

Tape 15 is going to go out Saturday (I am planning at least). Who wants track 3?

Tape 15 (to the US)
    Track 1 - @marvsmooth - Acoustic guitar
    Track 2 - @zecoop - drums or bass (haven't decided yet)
    Track 3 -
    Track 4 -@metalfoot

• @oblivionratula  Feb 8

Got Tape 5 today. Going to need an address for @standup / @pfoo You can e-mail me at mmatula at ratula dot net

I expect to get it out Monday.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 8

@zecoop I am already set to be on 2 tapes, but I could take Tape 15 for Track 3 if no one else wants it.

• @zecoop  Feb 8

@oblivionratula - Sold... I'll (hopefully) get it out tomorrow!

• @zecoop  Feb 9

Hey there friends... I made a new tape that I thought I'd send to the UK. How does this look to everybody? If you are not up for it, or would want a different order, please let me know. I'd love to send it Saturday morning, and they close at lunch.

Let me know!

Tape 17 (to the UK)
    Track 1 - @zecoop
    Track 2 - @vomvorton
    Track 4 - @wobbiewobbit

• @zecoop  Feb 9

Just remembered that @vomvorton wanted to end one, so I swapped the order:
    Tape 18 (to the UK)
    Track 1 - @zecoop
    Track 2 - @wobbiewobbit
    Track 4 - @vomvorton

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 9

Tape 4 is in the post to @marvsmooth

• @cts  Feb 9

@guatecoop - will do!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 9

Tape 11 recorded on it’s way to you on Monday @vomvorton - sorry for the wait

• @zecoop  Feb 9

@oblivionratula and @wobbiewobbit - Tapes are in the mail πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Feb 10

@zecoop can you add me as track 4 to tape 14? One of my goals this year is to make 4 tapes, and I'd love to finish one. Thanks! πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 10

@elesimo - You've got it! πŸ˜€

• @pfoo  Feb 10

Eric and I are planning to get Track 7 in the mail tomorrow. Sorry for the delays @pearlmanhattan and @tesla3090.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 10

@pfoo looking forward to it

• @standup  Feb 10

@pearlmanhattan I have your address, just let me know if it needs to go somewhere different.

• @nancyrost  Feb 10

Tape 12 will go out to @cynthiawolff tomorrow. πŸ˜€

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 10

I need @cts address please..

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 10

@standup the 61st one you sent to before is great.

• @nancyrost  Feb 10

@cynthiawolff emailed cts address to you.

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 11

@nancyrost I contacted @cts ..no word back yet but I assume he won’t be doing the challenge..Where should I send tape 6?

• @nancyrost  Feb 11

@cynthiawolff I got a message on my soundboard that he's continuing to record, so maybe wait until tomorrow to hear back?

• @cts  Feb 11

@cynthiawolff - I hit ya back on your soundboard. I'm in. Send it on.

• @cts  Feb 11

@guatecoop - I got the tape Saturday and I hope to send it on within the next two days.

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 11

@cts
    Tape is on its way today( Monday) the 11th
    Priority Box so should be there on WEds...

• @oblivionratula  Feb 11

Tape 5 is on the last leg to @standup and @pfoo, ETA Wednesday: USPS 9505512685229042165652

• @oblivionratula  Feb 11

Sorry for the double, but I can't edit right now. I am underwhelmed with my own contribution, but I did about 50 to 60 takes And kept erasing the good stuff. Tempted to do it on the DAW, but went old school with punch ins and outs. It'll be up to the mixer to make editorial choices around my slop. πŸ˜€ I contributed three different instruments, so there are choices to make. But no more excuses to make. Fly free my little pretty.

• @standup  Feb 11

Tape 7 actually got in the mail today too!

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 11

@standup alright, let me know if you have a tracking number - the weather is playing havoc on our mail system this week, so it may take more than the standard 2 days or so. I'll let you know when it arrives.

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 11

Tape 6 is on its way to @cts

• @zecoop  Feb 11

@pearlmanhattan - wait... hang on... So you are saying that this ain't true?!?!! LOL πŸ˜‰
    "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 11

Yep, ...and they aren't even announcing it. If they don't feel like driving down the street, they don't... doesn't matter if there is weather or not. It's hit or miss here.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 12

@zecoop Tape arrived. Thanks for the CD! Can hopefully give it a listen tonight to work on tomorrow and I'll hope to get it in 2-day to @metalfoot in time for the weekend.

@rickcannon any update on Tape 10? You asked for my addy last week, but I haven't seen anything yet.

• @standup  Feb 12

If tape 16 or 17 still needs the last two slots, keep me and @pfoo in mind. But I don't want to have ALL the fun if others are up for it. Those are probably in transit from UK or still in production...

• @zecoop  Feb 12

@standup.- I probably want to finish one too, so we have a few spots to figure out... Do we have a third track person for Tape 14? I'll take Vom's but will need someone to be third there too. Eric/Patti I filled you in.

Anyone who hasn't had enough tapes want one of the remaining 3 spots? I want to make sure we spread it around as much as possible, or as much as people want. πŸ˜€

Tape 14
    Track 1 - @nancyrost
    Track 2 - @bachelorb
    Track 3 -
    Track 4 - @elesimo

Tape 16 (to the US)
    Track 1 - @wobbiewobbit
    Track 2 - @nancyrost
    Track 3 - @standup
    Track 4 - @pfoo

Tape 17 (to the US)
    Track 1 - @vomvorton
    Track 2 - @elesimo
    Track 3 -
    Track 4 - @zecoop

• @elesimo  Feb 12

I got Tape 17 today, need someone to do 3rd track. Any takers?

• @nancyrost  Feb 12

Maybe @zecoop could do Tape 17, Track 3, and @burrsettles could do Track 4?

• @zecoop  Feb 12

@nancyrost - He's already got 4th track for two (all he wanted?)

@burrsettles - Just two tapes, or would you want one more?

• @zecoop  Feb 12

@elesimo / @nancyrost - I'm not mixing many, so that was why I took 4th. We'll let it sit for a second and see if anyone wants it. Plenty of time in Feb. πŸ˜€

• @nancyrost  Feb 12

Oh, gotcha - maybe @tesla3090 then?

• @seb Feb 12

Im interested in participating but what kind of gear do I need for this? I just have a cassette player/recorder. Im in the US

• @elesimo  Feb 12

@seb you need a 4-track recorder able to record in regular speed. You can try using one that only records in double speed (like the Tascam 414), I've done that in the past. But it has to be something able to record to the 4 tracks separately.

• @zecoop  Feb 12

@seb Right, this one needs a 4-track recorder. A normal cassette player won't work because that person would erase one of the previous tracks, since each normal cassette track is two of the tracks of a 4-track.

• @elesimo  Feb 12

@seb you would need something like this: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/el...

(I have the same model, and I love it)

• @tesla3090  Feb 12

@nancyrost

Since this is my first go at this challenge I think I'm going to stick with just the two I was on initially. I don't want to end up overcommitting before I know how much work it will actually be for me. Thanks though!

• @vomvorton  Feb 12

So pleased that tape 17 made it over the ocean! I was worried for a while there.

• @rickcannon Feb 12

@oblivionratula Sorry for the delay, I emailed you at some point yesterday to explain but just now saw your post. It'll definitely be out this week - had to force through some creative block before I could contribute to these.

• @seb Feb 12

ok, I dont have that gear nor do I plan to get it, im out 😞

@rickcannon No worries, I see your email now. Plenty of time left, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything - and yeah, been a slow start for me, too. Luckily Tape 15 seems better and I should get that one off to @metalfoot tomorrow (assuming recording tonight goes well).

• @elesimo  Feb 12

@seb the prices fluctuate a lot. I recommend keeping an eye on Ebay and Craigslist during the year, you can find some great deals. Then in 2020 you can participate. πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 12

Tape 4 now has β€œorgan” played on my (not professional) Casio MT25

• @marvsmooth  Feb 12

Tape Four so far;

1. @vomvorton - Electric guitar
    2. @helenseviltwin - Bass guitar
    3. @marvsmooth - Organ

• @vomvorton  Feb 12

Tape 11 landed with me today! I'll hopefully get it moving along pretty swiftly to @helenseviltwin !

• @nancyrost  Feb 12

Just sent off Tape 12 to @cynthiawolff. And Tape 16 has arrived from the UK!

I'd be happy to take another for mixing (Tape 4 @marvsmooth ) but don't want to be a hog, either.

• @nancyrost  Feb 12

@oblivionratula I believe @wobbiewobbit is already doing Tape 4, Track 4.

• @guatecoop  Feb 12

@pfoo and @standup your tape should arrive tomorrow. I sent it yesterday. It is 2 guitars and a click track. πŸ‘

• @marvsmooth  Feb 12

@oblivionratula - I could record something in the morning and post it with my fingers crossed that it will reach you from the UK?

• @burrsettles  Feb 12

@zecoop if I'm still needed to be the closer for third tape, I can probably swing it!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 12

@burrsettles - I can start another tape then, and then post it over to the US in the morning to include yourself if you want a tape?

• @zecoop  Feb 12

@marvsmooth - You are welcome to but we still do have tape 17 with an empty slot... I had taken 4 but could switch to 3 to let @burrsettles take 4, since no one else has stepped in for the last spot. If he goes on 17, then he probably won't go on yours, as that'll be a third tape already for him. We can always figure out another place for it to go, though. πŸ˜€

• @nancyrost  Feb 12

How about if I take Tape 17, Track 3 and send to @zecoop for Track 4?

• @zecoop  Feb 12

@nancyrost - there you go. Problem solved! πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 12

@zecoop - okay. I can have a tape started just in case there are three more takers?

• @zecoop  Feb 13

@marvsmooth - We can definitely find people! πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 13

I’m grabbing the drum track from tape 4!

• @vomvorton  Feb 13

I dropped tape 11 into a postbox on my lunch break but it was an Extremely Rural postbox so won't be collected until tomorrow. It WILL be blessed with North Derbyshire magic though which I think should be some consolation, and it should still arrive with @helenseviltwin before the weekend!

• @elesimo  Feb 13

I'm sending Tape 17 today to @nancyrost :

Tape 17 (to the US)
    Track 1 - @vomvorton (bass)
    Track 2 - @elesimo (guitar)
    Track 3 - @nancyrost
    Track 4 - @zecoop

• @nancyrost  Feb 13

It looks like we still need someone for Tape 14, Track 3?

• @zecoop  Feb 13

Edit - Below is the one spot we need filled. Are all the other tapes moving along?
    Track 1 - @nancyrost
    Track 2 - @bachelorb
    Track 4 - @elesimo

16 (-> US)
    Track 1 - @wobbiewobbit
    Track 2 - @nancyrost
    Track 3 - @standup
    Track 4 - @pfoo

Track 2: @zecoop
    Track 3:
    Track 4:@burrsettles

• @nancyrost  Feb 13

@zecoop Tape 16 will be going to @pfoo and @standup

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 13

I can take one of the track 3 spots on one or two of the tapes. @zecoop

I'm a little anxious about mixing tape 2, but I'm gonna give it my best FAWMing try - if I get in over my head with it, can I send it to one of the mixing pros to handle that? @standup or @zecoop - which one of you did I send the one from 50/90 to?

• @zecoop  Feb 13

@pearlmanhattan - Yep, I'll add you to one of them and no problem sending it over if you need help mixing. Or we can talk you through it, lol. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 13

Cool - Just one spot left that we can leave open for a bit to let us all think about how things are going. πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 13

@zecoop - Smooth ska rock in E on bass guitar for tape 19 on it’s way!

• @pfoo  Feb 13

We received tape 5 (@elesimo, @pearlmanhattan, @oblivionratula) and tape 13 (@zecoop , @guatecoop) today. We should be able to get them done this weekend or before.

@zecoop thanks man - I'll keep you posted on the mixing once I get the tape. Waiting on the mailman to bring tape 7 today (hopefully) and I will send it on to @tesla3090 on Friday.

Tape 7 has arrived. I left a note on @tesla3090 s soundboard that I'll need his address by Friday - sending it out then.

Thanks @nancyrost I got the address for @tesla3090 so disregard my previous request on your soundboard πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Feb 13

I'll be needing the address for @pearlmanhattan please send it to bachelorb@ymail.com

• @tesla3090  Feb 13

@pearlmanhattan sounds good, looking forward to getting the tape!

• @bachelorb  Feb 13

Tape 14 is on the way to Tacoma.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 14

Just realized I'm on Tapes 5, 10. and 15. I'm not into numerology, but if there's a 20th, I want in. πŸ˜‰

• @standup  Feb 14

@pearlmanhattan I think the 5090 tapes we were both on I played a part on, not sure I just did the mixing on anything. But if you feel overwhelmed, I can do a mix.

Of course, you should just do it and see how it goes...

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 14

@standup thanks friend, ...i'm feeling more confident. ...and a side note, I love hearing you and pfoo talking on the tapes I get from you all lol 😁

• @elesimo  Feb 14

@pearlmanhattan are you worried about the technical aspect of transferring the 4 tracks to your DAW, or about the creative process of mixing? Let me know if I can help with the former, and i know you're pretty good with the latter! πŸ˜€

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 14

It's the actual transferring from tape to daw. I understand how to do it (in theory,
    but my machine has a hiss I'm concerned about. Thanks for the confidence on the mixing. I am getting okay with that, aren't I @elesimo 😁😁

• @elesimo  Feb 14

@pearlmanhattan the hiss is part of the charm of recording to tape, I wouldn't worry about it! And yeah, you're doing way more than ok with the mixing! 😁

• @cts  Feb 14

@guatecoop - tape 3 is headed in the mail today!

• @cts  Feb 14

@zecoop - I tape 6 yesterday and will work on that today.

• @cts  Feb 14

@zecoop - can I get an address for @eargoggle?

• @zecoop  Feb 14

@cts - emailed you the address. πŸ˜€πŸ‘

• @nancyrost  Feb 14

Tape 16 is headed to D.C.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 14

@fourzeroes - how goes the tape?

• @fourzeroes  Feb 15

@marvsmooth it's either with or recently been posted by @wobbiewobbit. Either way, I don't yet have it.

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 15

@marvsmooth sorry i only got tape 8 in post to @fourzeroes today but it shpuld get there quickly

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 15

Tape 7 is packed up - going out tomorrow to @tesla3090 Will forward tracking number tomorrow when I get it.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 15

@zecoop - Is this a record FAWM for the four-track challenge? 19 of them so far!

I should do another to get it to a nice round twenty?

• @zecoop  Feb 15

@marvsmooth - I think 19 is a record... 20 would be sweet if we can find UK'ers to roll with it. πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Feb 15

I'm happy to take a slot on tape 20 if we fancy hitting a nice round number!

• @elesimo  Feb 15

I'm up for tape 20 as well!

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 15

I have tape 14 in my hot little hands

• @zecoop  Feb 15

@marvsmooth @vomvorton @elesimo Not sure if we'll be able to cross the Atlantic for 20... only a couple weeks left!

• @elesimo  Feb 15

@pearlmanhattan I'll email you my address!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 16

Synth on track one of tape 20 is in the post to @vomvorton

• @marvsmooth  Feb 16

Two more needed for tape 20 please.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 16

@zecoop ...i'm track 3 of tape 14, if you could add that in the master list.

• @nancyrost  Feb 16

Tape 17 has arrived here. If I don't get it done and in the mail today, I guess it'll be Tuesday -- no mail this Monday.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 16

I probably should apologise, but I like what I did on tape 20 so much, that I’ve added a section, and my new group, MSC, are also working on it!

I hope that’s okay.

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 16

@nancyrost tape 12 has been received but because of no mail Monday
    it won’t be going out until Tuesday!!!! Waaaaa.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 17

I have done drums on tape 11. Will post it to @fourzeroes as soon as I get the address πŸ˜€

• @fourzeroes  Feb 17

@marvsmooth @wobbiewobbit I'm posting this tomorrow, assuming when I give it a final listen I'm not too horrified with my performance

• @standup  Feb 18

We are done here with parts on tapes 5 and 13, hope to mix and post them tomorrow. We also have Tape 16 but haven't recorded the parts for it, that one might take a few more days.

• @cts  Feb 18

@zecoop - hey, man! Just wanna make sure I'm doing this right...I upload the song but I mark it as a collaboration with Four Track, correct?

• @cts  Feb 18

@cynthiawolff - hi there! Mix is done and I'll be uploading it shortly!

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 18

just got tape 18 πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 18

@cts - There's a few ways of doing it. If the four people that made it want it to go on their page, they they can pair up and post them. Then I would need an MP3 to upload to the fourtracktape page. I personally don't put many 4-track collabs on my page just so that I can focus on my main songs, but that's different for everyone.

Or... one person can collab with fourtracktape, and the others could post/collab as they wanted.

Either way, I would like MP3 e-mailed to me so I have them all for future reference. πŸ˜€

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 19

I did a Tenor uke part tape 12 and it is ready to ship
    Please send me I @tesla3090 address so I can ship it off
    Tomorrow..(tuesday)

• @metalfoot  Feb 19

Waiting eagerly for tape 15 to arrive here!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 19

@metalfoot Looks like Friday for #15. Sorry I sent it on the slow boat, total brain fart, but hopefully it still gives you enough time to record/mix. https://www.canadapost.ca/trackweb/en...

Gentle nudge on Tape 10 - how's it going @rickcannon?

So, what's the story on Tape 20? Still need someone? What side of the pond? I'm game in the States - then I'd be on 5, 10, 15, and 20. πŸ˜‰

• @nancyrost  Feb 19

@oblivionratula I believe @marvsmooth is doing Tape 20 with his band in the UK.

@zecoop I have Tape 17 ready to send you. I'll try to get it out to you tomorrow before the *next* snowstorm!

• @zecoop  Feb 19

@nancyrost - Can't wait!

The three songs up so far are all so cool. You'll are killing it this year. πŸ˜€

@nancyrost Very good, I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. Threads are a bit hard to follow sometimes. Thanks for the clarification.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 19

@nancyrost - I’ve posted tape 20 to @zecoop but also sent a worked up version to my bandmates here in the UK πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 19

@marvsmooth - Thought you said up above tape 20 was going to @vomvorton ?

• @rickcannon Feb 19

@oblivionratula Went smoothly and shipped out Saturday!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 19

@zecoop - you’re right, I got 19 & 20 mixed up.

19 sent to you and 20 to @vomvorton

@rickcannon SWEET!

• @vomvorton  Feb 19

Tape 20 has arrived! Any volunteers to take it next? I guess UK only at this point if we're going to finish by the end of the month, @fourzeroes @helenseviltwin @wobbiewobbit ?

• @bachelorb  Feb 19

Tape 1 is ready to go out to @burrsettles . I need hid address. My email is bachelorb@ymail.com

• @nancyrost  Feb 19

Just emailed you, @bachelorb .

Tape 17 is on its last leg and should be in Michigan on Thursday.

• @fourzeroes  Feb 19

@vomvorton what position is it up to? What's on it so far?

• @vomvorton  Feb 19

@fourzeroes it just has synth from @marvsmooth at the moment, so I'll be track two and two more participants are required. I have had a listen but not decided what to add yet.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 19

I'm not able to commit to anything else, I'm afraid.

• @zecoop  Feb 19

Tape 9 is off to @stevenwesleyguiles for the final track. @guatecoop was up this weekend so we did two parts and switched the order. @eargoggle started it off with an amazing envelope covered bass guitar

• @tesla3090  Feb 19

Just got tape 7, I'll start working on it tonight. @pfoo @standup @pearlmanhattan Any thoughts on how we want to post it? Should I just throw it up as a collab with @fourtracktape? Also, thoughts on a song title?

@cynthiawolff did you get my address from @nancyrost or do you still need that info?

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 19

I believe the chorus lyric will be a good title, Raise it up, and I can email the lyrics to you if you want, or post them as a collab with you, either way @tesla3090

• @nancyrost  Feb 19

@tesla3090 i sent cynthia your address.

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 19

@tesla3090 tape was brought to the pos5 office today (tues)..
    Priority mail.. u should get it in two days

• @pfoo  Feb 20

@tesla3090 I can't remember what we did on tape 7 - I'm glad @pearlmanhattan had some lyrics with a title suggestion! If you post it as a collab with @fourtracktape we can each create a song with a link to the track.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Feb 20

So where are we on Tape 10?

Track 2 - @nancyrost
    Track 3 - @rickcannon

I have no idea where it is in the process, but I'm excited to hear where it ended up! πŸ˜€

• @nancyrost  Feb 20

@stevenwesleyguiles The tape containing three trackswas mailed out to the fourth person a couple days ago, so it shouldn't be too long now!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 20

@stevenwesleyguiles The tape was sent to me on Saturday. I’m expecting it any day now.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 20

So I'm just sitting down with tape 14, hoping to send it out today. It's been an incredibly difficult week for me here - and as I'm listening through the tape, at the end - after the click track and @nancyrost and @bachelorb s awesome contributions... there's a meow - and it made me laugh - and I'm still laughing. I needed that meow - so pet that cat and give it a BIG treat - it was perfect. I'm loving these easter eggs at the ends of the tracks! πŸ˜€ @elesimo I'm aiming to put it in the mail today!

• @nancyrost  Feb 20

@pearlmanhattan, I'd forgotten about that -- I will be sure to give the vocalist some catnip. @elesimo we'd love it if you could leave that in!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 20

@pearlmanhattan CLEARLY you meant it was PURRRfect! This makes me smile and I can't wait to hear if it mates the cut. πŸ˜‰

• @elesimo  Feb 20

@nancyrost @pearlmanhattan we'll keep it for sure! πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Feb 20

ANY TAKERS for Tape 20?

It now has some Quite Frightening Synth Bass on it. Two more participants needed!

• @zecoop  Feb 20

@vomvorton - last ditch would be find one more there and then mail it to me and I'll finish it post-FAWM. Not ideal but there you go

• @vomvorton  Feb 20

@zecoop yeah, it may have to come to the US for belated completion... One last call to UK-based trackers: @wobbiewobbit @fourzeroes ? It's quite an experimental one, maybe suited to some more synth or some spoken word stuff or something?

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 20

i don't mind having a go... am a bit behind on the 2 tapes i have though... one i am finishing but one i need to get done and posted.. plan to get on it tomorrow

• @oblivionratula  Feb 21

@rickcannon Tape 10 has arrivven. For the third time this FAWM, I am knocked out under the weather again. So the mix will be in a day or three. @stevenwesleyguiles @nancyrost

• @standup  Feb 21

Drums are done on Tape 16, it may take me a day or two to figure out a bass part. Especially since it now looks like there's a 17-bar bass solo. What?

Or maybe I'll punch in a kazoo or banjo.

Actually, since I have a gig tomorrow night it may not get posted til this weekend.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 21

@rickcannon just checking on tape 2, has it been sent yet? Thanks

• @nancyrost  Feb 21

Sorry @standup! I almost played kazoo myself. There's still plenty of time though.

• @vomvorton  Feb 21

@wobbiewobbit still at the same address I've posted to before?

• @rickcannon Feb 21

@pearlmanhattan Indeed it has, so sorry for not updating. Been busy getting ready for an out of state trip. Hope it gets to you soon, the other tape I sent out the same day arrived yesterday.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 21

@rickcannon alright, thank you! I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 21

have recorded a very rusty lumpy kronky double bass part on tape 18, i would redo it but my playing is so rusty atm i think that might be about as good as it gets. @helenseviltwin can you pm me your address and i will get it in the post. cheers

• @vomvorton  Feb 21

Tape 20 has been posted.

I like the way my phone struggles to post in this thread more and more the longer it gets

• @zecoop  Feb 21

Hooray for awesome mail day!! Tape 17 has arrived - It just needs one more track and I'll get that done by this weekend for sure. πŸ˜€

17 (UK -> US)
    Track 1 - @vomvorton - Bass
    Track 2 - @elesimo - Guitar
    Track 3 - @nancyrost - Vocals
    Track 4 - zecoop - Accordion, ahem, ok... not really

• @marvsmooth  Feb 21

Cool... Cutting it fine just like a tape I need to get from the post sorting office, add my part, and then post to @vomvorton

• @metalfoot  Feb 21

Cassette 15 is in the house! Need to arrange a time to get over to my neighbour's 4-track machine to listen and record something!

• @eargoggle  Feb 22

OK just got back from vacation and here's Tape 3 waiting for me from @cts ....I plan on heading to my studio tomorrow and then the post office to get this off to @burrsettles , @zecoop can you email me his address?

• @zecoop  Feb 22

Welcome back @eargoggle πŸ˜€
    Address sent...

• @oblivionratula  Feb 22

I've got Tape 10 dumped to my DAW so I can think about what to add - need perc and/or vocals, both of which are my weak points. I'll have to listen a few dozen times and see what comes to mind. 😁

• @zecoop  Feb 22

@oblivionratula - I did the same with a couple tapes this year. Just lets me get my plans in order. For the tape that started with @eargoggle , I recorded verbal cuts into an open track first, since @guatecoop was going to record over the click. That was we knew when the changes were coming. Just me saying 123456 - then I transferred that mix to my computer to practice with. Made recording into tape easier when I was ready

• @marvsmooth  Feb 22

Tape 8 on it’s way to @vomvorton - track one is rhythm guitar, track two is vocal and lead guitar, and I’ve added bass onto track three.

• @eargoggle  Feb 22

OK, tape 3 is done, going to post it later today. @burrsettles sending to you...it's ah, kind of wacky....! I did guitar and vocals, at once, with a figure 8 mic pointing each way, ummm, never done that before. Kind of rushed by necessity too but hopefully this works!

• @tesla3090  Feb 22

Tape 7 is up!

@pfoo @standup @pearlmanhattan

https://fawm.org/songs/96716/

@cynthiawolff did you have a tracking number for 12? It hasn't arrived yet

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 23

opps...ill get the tracking number

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 23

hiya!
    tape has been delivered to your post office today (friday 22)
    In transit

Tracking#9305589843901297967446
    Arrived at Post Office
    KANSAS CITY, MO 64116, US
    Feb 22, 2019, 3:17am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    KANSAS CITY, MO 64156, US
    Feb 22, 2019, 1:23am
    LONG BEACH, CA 90806-1436, US
    Feb 19, 2019, 8:19am

• @tesla3090  Feb 23

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it

• @marvsmooth  Feb 23

@zecoop - I hope the tape I sent you gets there okay!

• @pfoo  Feb 23

@tesla3090 Awesome! Great work on the mix, and I like the effect the wow and flutter issues had on the song - it's pretty cool. Can't wait to hear how that affects tape 12!

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 23

@rickcannon tape 2 has arrived. I'll work on it Monday!

• @fourzeroes  Feb 24

@vomvorton this thread is confusing, but if it's still about I guess I could take tape 20 after @wobbiewobbit if required πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Feb 24

@fourzeroes yep that one definitely needs one more track to finish it off once @wobbiewobbit is done!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 24

I foresee some late posting four-track recordings!

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 24

@zecoop @elesimo @rickcannon Tape 2 is here and I've tranfereed it all to my DAW successfully! Any suggestions for naming this work? I was thinking of calling it Zesimo Canhattan but I'm open to other suggestions. I probably have something ready to post on Tuesday.

• @zecoop  Feb 24

@pearlmanhattan - No ideas from me... I can't even remember what I played on it, lololol. Whatever seems appropriate is good!

• @fourzeroes  Feb 24

@vomvorton ok cool. @wobbiewobbit already has my address. Interesting to see how this turns out, as it's the same people as tape 8 but in a different order

• @oblivionratula  Feb 24

Tape 10 is up: https://fawm.org/songs/97384/

Track 1 - @stevenwesleyguiles - Acoustic guitar and count-in
    Track 2 - @nancyrost - Bass
    Track 3 - @rickcannon - Synths
    Track 4 - @oblivionratula - Vocals, 'rhythm synth' and mix

• @elesimo  Feb 24

@pearlmanhattan "Zesimo Canhattan" is a great name, made me smile! As the 4th person you have more context than anybody else on how the song sounds, so feel free to name it whatever you think is appropriate. πŸ˜€

• @zack Feb 24

I just found this wish I saw it earlier. It's probably too late but if someone can get one to me quick enough I'll finish it off! Text me six one 7 (Boston) ate ate ate 3261 (I probably won't log in too soon) . And I would love to continue this past FAWN! There was a successful thread on GearS***s a while back (Lo-Fi Team) but it petered out after a year or so.

• @zecoop  Feb 25

@zach - I think all the tapes are spoken for at this point - they kinda have to be, since we are way slower than "normal" FAWMers and have to use the regular mail. It's hard getting them done by the deadline, even when we just go around the US, and some of these crossed the Atlantic. BUT, there is a Facebook group that does this and it happens during 50/90 as well, so check those out. Also check in next year and we will DEFINITELY get you in.

• @zecoop  Feb 25

Tape 17 is up!! Started in the UK and finished in the US. Awesome job, folks!!!! πŸ˜€

Dropped the Camera
    https://fawm.org/songs/97546/

Tape 17 (UK -> US)
    Track 1 - @vomvorton (GB - Bass guitar)
    Track 2 - @elesimo (Cali - guitar)
    Track 3 - @nancyrost (Wisc - lyrics/vocals)
    Track 4 - @zecoop (Mich - drums)

I produced a little, after transferring the tracks to the DAW - a little compression and reverb, doubled elesimo's guitar and removed some hiss from the individual tracks.

• @metalfoot  Feb 25

Really starting to think I was a BAD CHOICE for 4th on this tape; I am not sure when/if I can finish and I haven't the foggiest how to record on a 4-track. (and, after recording, how to output to a file I can use on the computer) Yikes. Oh well. Going to try to make an appointment with my neighbour tomorrow for some time before Thursday ... see what we can do. I'll make a placeholder for tape 15 if I can't get it done before Feb ends.

• @standup  Feb 25

@metalfoot you can probably get some coaching here. There's a "track arm" kinda thing that tells the four track to record on one specific track and not to record on anything else.

Then dubbing to the computer -- it's ideal if you have an interface with 4 inputs. If not, you could dub 2 tracks to a stereo input, then dub 2 more, then line them up in the DAW you're using.

• @metalfoot  Feb 25

I'm assuming my buddy whose machine I'll be using hopefully has half a clue how his machine works... otherwise I might be recording track 4 digitally and breaking the spirit of the thing... But thanks for the encouragement, @standup.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 25

@metalfoot I tried to make a funny, but it didn't work. Just let me know if you want/need the wav files for tracks 1-3.

• @elesimo  Feb 25

@metalfoot do you know what's the model of your 4-track?

• @eargoggle  Feb 25

My machine (Tascam MKII 424) has stereo outs, so for mixing down into the computer I just use a normal stereo cable onto tracks 1 and 2 of my interface and then put those L and R on a stereo track of my DAW (Pro Tools in my case), and mix it in the 4 track with the EQ's and levels. Then on the computer I'm left with a fully mixed stereo track. Don't know what model you have @metalfoot but most likely your machine has a "line out" left and right somewhere and you can do that too. I use a stereo plug to 1/4" adaptor on each L and R plug into my interface (UAD Apollo) to make my method work, you might need that too. Let us know what questions you have I'm sure we can walk you through it. Main thing with recording on 4 tracks is to make sure you only "arm" the track you want to record on, otherwise you might erase another track by mistake- Just did this yesterday with a track I'm working on and had to replay and re record the whole guitar part because I sang over it and didn't realize tha

• @eargoggle  Feb 25

t track was armed along with the vocals! Matter of fact, what am I doing typing here? I've got to get down to my studio and finish that song!

• @elesimo  Feb 25

@eargoggle @metalfoot yeah, recording on the 4th track is the important thing, and we can help you get that done. If you send the model of the 4-track we can probably figure out how to set it to record only track 4.

Once you've recorded, in the worst case scenario you just play the tape into the computer and upload as-is. You can also mix in real time in the 4-track, adjusting levels and EQ for individual tracks.

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 25

i still have tape 4 to finish... sorry that one is so long in pipeline... i did something... decided it didnt work and been a bit stuck and waylaid... i also have tape 20

. that only arrived this weekend and i havent had chance to look at that and am simply out of days to post it on in time for it to arrive in feb.... rather than a placeholder and posting when site is empty can we pick that one up in 5090 please?

• @burrsettles  Feb 25

@bachelorb @cts @eargoggle @guatecoop @stevenwesleyguiles @zecoop Tapes 1 + 3 both arrived today! will do my best to bang them out and get them up on schedule... πŸ˜€

• @tesla3090  Feb 26

Got tape 12! @cynthiawolff do you have the chord progressions you used written down anywhere?

Also, @bachelorb, @nancyrost any thoughts on naming once it's done?

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 26

@tesla3090 i don’t hAve the chords written down..
    I just played along to what was already on there
    They were simple major chords though.. C or G probably

• @marvsmooth  Feb 26

@vomvorton - good job πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Feb 26

@tesla3090 I’ve got what I sang em to if you send me your email address. Mines bachelorb@ymail.com

• @tesla3090  Feb 26

@bachelorb

cryounitmusic at gmail

Thanks!

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 26

Tape 18 got delivered to the wrong house by the looks of it (it was correctly addressed, but arrived today with the street address underlined and "redeliver" written on). I won't have time to do it tonight, though, I'm afraid. @vomvorton - shall I record it onto a digital file and either post it straight on to you so you'll hopefully get it on Thursday and i can email you my part digitally, or do my part tomorrow and post it on Thursday so you can write your part in Feb and just record it on 1 March?

• @vomvorton  Feb 26

@helenseviltwin I think you should record onto tape, if we have to finish it a day late then it's not the end of the world. I think the tape-factor outweighs the February factor! I should have plenty of time to get it finished up when it arrives and I can create a placeholder (unless @zecoop or the mysterious @fourtracktape already have plans to create placeholders for anything not finished by the end of the month?)

• @zecoop  Feb 26

As long as someone makes a placeholder it'll work. Just post it - it's more fun that way. @vomvorton - if you don't I can probably talkfourtracktape into making one (or more than one). We need to figure out how many we'll be finishing. πŸ˜€

• @metalfoot  Feb 26

Have made arrangements with my neighbour to play with his 4track tomorrow night! The 27th is plenty early.

• @zecoop  Feb 26

LOADS of time @metalfoot - You could probably write a FAWMs worth of songs in the last two days. πŸ˜‰

• @vomvorton  Feb 26

This is the current completed / not completed list, since I had some time to kill before I can leave work πŸ˜‰

Tape 1: Just Breathe - https://fawm.org/songs/98353/
    Tape 2: Touch Me - https://fawm.org/songs/98754/
    Tape 3: Back Again - https://fawm.org/songs/98354/
    Tape 4: Bootstraps - https://fawm.org/songs/100013/
    Tape 5: World of Opportunity - https://fawm.org/songs/95609/
    Tape 6: Dr. Elixir - https://fawm.org/songs/95437/
    Tape 7: Break It Down - https://fawm.org/songs/96716/
    Tape 8: Sorry Heart - https://fawm.org/songs/97798/
    Tape 9: The Boxer Stands Proud And Then Fades Out - https://fawm.org/songs/98042/
    Tape 10: You'll Stay - https://fawm.org/songs/97384/
    Tape 11:
    Tape 12: It's February, You're Gone - https://fawm.org/songs/98812/
    Tape 13: Saboteur - https://fawm.org/songs/95474/
    Tape 14: Black Cat - https://fawm.org/songs/96796/
    Tape 15: I Don't. - https://fawm.org/songs/98825/
    Tape 16: Roll Out the Green Carpet - https://fawm.org/songs/96694/
    Tape 17: Dropped The Camera - https://fawm.org/songs/97546/
    Tape 18: Calm After The Storm - https://fawm.org/songs/99894/
    Tape 19:
    Tape 20:

• @metalfoot  Feb 26

@zecoop You tease me but there is more than a note of truth to it...

• @fourzeroes  Feb 26

Tape 11 is finished. I've put up a placeholder because I can't find my phono-to-headphoney lead right now...

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 27

I'm working on tape two - the past two days I've been running a fever and haven't had the ability to move far from my bed. I'm planning on FAWMing track 4 tomorrow - (wanted to do drums but not sure what I'll manage) and hope to have it uploading tomorrow evening. Sorry for the delay.

• @elesimo  Feb 27

@pearlmanhattan don't worry, take care of yourself and get some rest!

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 27

@vomvorton - I shall record some percussion this evening and put it in the post tomorrow.

• @eargoggle  Feb 27

@burrsettles swesome, how do I add the lyrics?

• @nancyrost  Feb 27

@eargoggle email them to me and I'll edit them in for you.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 27

Tape 18 is in the postbox, so should be with you @vomvorton on Friday.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 28

Tape 2 is UP!! Please enjoy/download/whatev's with "Touch Me" by ZeSimo CanHattan. thanks so much! Was great fun and I look forward to doing this again in 50/90. Also, I have a Tape now to practice and get better until then, and also can start this one in 50/90. https://fawm.org/songs/98754/

• @tesla3090  Feb 28

Tape 12 is up!

https://fawm.org/songs/98812/

@bachelorb @cynthiawolff @nancyrost

Let me know if you have specific comments you want on the song and I'll get them added!

• @metalfoot  Feb 28

Tape15 is LIVE and THRIVING.
    https://fawm.org/songs/98825/

Thanks, everyone, for letting me play along, as badly as I did. 😁
    @marvsmooth @zecoop @oblivionratula

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 28

apologies...
    the last couple have days when i planned to finally force out that tape #4 i am sitting on stuck, have been scuppered and I haven't been able to do anything let alone that. additionally i ran out of time on tape #20 being posted and @fourzeroes is also wanting to postpone that one till next year. sorry to all involved on those tapes. I think i will post a placeholder for tape #4 and hope i can recover enough to get on it sooner rather than later. i feel especially bad about that one cos i had it in good time, just been stuck on it. and then unable to do it last minute as i hoped. sorry everyone 😞

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 1

managed to get tape 4 in on time - i cheated slightly to keep the drum track and did the vocal on the pc but to keep the spirit of it i didn't use any effects and did it in a single take - Bootstraps -https://fawm.org/songs/100013/

• @oblivionratula  Mar 1

This was my second FAWM and like last year, these tapes are seriously my favorite part of FAWM. Initially I didn't feel right 'counting' the ones I worked on, but I honestly put more work/care/stress into them than my own demos because I don't want to let my tape-mates down. I just listened through the 3 I was involved with and am humbled to be involved in such cool projects. Such magic. "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." - Aristotle

Next year, I'd like to get in on a Track 1 or 2 and see what it's like from that perspective, but it's also a ton of fun getting to do the mix. Lot of responsibility. In the next days, I'll be sure I hear all of these - such a treat. Great work, everyone!

• @marvsmooth  Mar 1

@wobbiewobbit - thank you Wobbie!

• @marvsmooth  Mar 1

@oblivionratula - when you’re the starter it’s funny, because you have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen, and then it’s a surprise because you almost forget about it because of the amount of time that’s passed!

• @oblivionratula  Mar 1

@marvsmooth even in the 3-slot I lost track of what I'd done on which tape. I think one I did got finished out of order from another, so I got really confused. "I thought I did vocals on this one . . . " 😁 Too much fun and just the right amount of pleasant surprise.

• @vomvorton  Mar 1

I've now received Tape 18 and I'll hopefully be able to get it finished off this weekend. Just needed a bit of a break today but I should have plenty of time over the next couple of days!

• @marvsmooth  Mar 2

@oblivionratula - actually, I’ve had that because I think I’m on 5 tapes, three of which I think we’re still waiting for.

• @vomvorton  Mar 2

Any luck finding your lead to get Tape 11 posted @fourzeroes ? If you have any trouble I'm happy for you to post it over here for mixing. I bloody love this challenge 😁

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 2

was planning to put up the collabs on my website if that is ok with all my fellow collaborators.... I know many of you have been good with that in the past but asking for this batch... @vomvorton @zecoop @nancyrost @fourzeroes @marvsmooth @helenseviltwin @pfoo @standup - and if you can let me know if you would like a link to your website or profile or whatever let me know url to link on your credit. thanks all Top Challenge as always!

• @vomvorton  Mar 2

Fine by me @wobbiewobbit! Bandcamp is best link for me: http://vomvorton.bandcamp.com

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 2

Fine by me

• @zecoop  Mar 2

Absolutely @wobbiewobbit - same for me actually. I usually put the ones I'm on into my Bandcamp album. Really well done everyone!

• @standup  Mar 2

Feel free to post anything I collab’ed on. Feel free to use this link β€” https://song.link/album/s/5hXbJoh06SX...

• @pfoo  Mar 2

I'm fine with anything I worked on getting posed. I don't have a website. Congrats to everyone on some great songs!

• @marvsmooth  Mar 2

@wobbiewobbit - okay

• @fourzeroes  Mar 3

@vomvorton good call. At work we'd call that "escalation". I'll get it posted ASAP. You still at the same address?

• @fourzeroes  Mar 3

@wobbiewobbit I consent to having stuff I have contributed to on your website. I do not want or need a link to anything other than my FAWM tag in relation to it. πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Mar 3

@fourzeroes yep same address (Hopewell Road). Cool, I should be able to get it all mixed and posted as soon as it arrives!

• @fourtracktape Mar 8

@vomvorton - re: Tape 11: so that means we have one more piece of awesomeness left to salivate over until it gets posted?!?! πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Mar 8

@fourtracktape yep, I should be able to get it mixed and posted as soon as it arrives.

• @vomvorton  Mar 14

Any news on Tape 11, @fourzeroes ? I'm hoping this isn't the part where you say "I posted it a week ago" and it has been lost...

• @fourzeroes  Mar 17

@vomvorton I posted it a w... no wait. I've had a few things going on recently and it kinda slipped my mind and/or capabilities. Finally managed to get it posted on Thursday. Found my cable yesterday. 😁

• @zecoop  Mar 17

@fourzeroes - the only guaranteed way to find things!! πŸ˜‰

• @vomvorton  Mar 17

@fourzeroes ah cool, cheers! Hopefully it’ll turn up tomorrow. Put that cable somewhere safe for next year!

• @vomvorton  Mar 19

TAPE 11 is here! FAWM never ends!

https://fawm.org/songs/99893/

@fourzeroes @helenseviltwin @marvsmooth

• @fourzeroes  Mar 19

Well done team! Big ol' content note on that one.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...