What Are You Reading?

Skip to the bottom

• @kalcedonka 7 weeks

Verne and Lovecraft 😀

• @sonia98 5 weeks

High Five! Just finished "Journey to the Center of the Earth".

• @andygetch  5 weeks

Patti Smith - M Train (just finished)
    Vera Mattlin Jiji - Cello Playing For Music Lovers

• @paulhenry  5 weeks

"Sapiens," by Yuval Noah Harari.

• @nuerdetjuligen  5 weeks

A Canticle for Leibowitz
    by Walter M. Miller Jr.

• @tcelliott  5 weeks

I read that book a long, long time ago @nuerdetjuligen. How did you like it?
    I just got two songwriting/song business books that I'm kind of going through slowly. Lots of books on the 'to read' list, though.

• @philkmills  5 weeks

"The Calculating Stars" by Mary Robinette Kowal. I'm only a few chapters in but it's becoming obvious why it won Hugo/Nebula awards.

• @howthenightcame 5 weeks

I'm reading Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf - and I'm hoping to write a short FAWM album based on it. Fingers crossed!!

• @headfirstonly  5 weeks

@philkmills I enjoyed The Calculating Stars, but the fact that the Chesapeake Bay impact really happened - roughly 300,000 years ago - took a little of the edge off the plot's plausibility...

• @nikke88 5 weeks

Short stories from Ivan Turgenev and Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Usually before I go to bed, I tend to read Russian short stories, like example from Turgenev, Fyodor Dostoevsky and Alexander Pushkin.

• @oldlostjohn 3 weeks

Recently finished James Cain's Postman Always Rings Twice (never read it before though I've seen the films) and Olga Tokarczuk's Flights. Currently reading I En Skog Av Sumak by Klas Östergren (in Swedish, hence the strange title) and glancing through Paul Zollo's More Songwriters on Songwriting. Yes, already gearing up for FAWM I guess!

• @scottlake 3 weeks

Just finished The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.
    Reading through the Bible again this year.
    The Truth About Animals by Lucy Cooke
    The River Why by David James Duncan
    New Collected Poems by Wendell Berry

• @kanttila 2 weeks

I've been reading through Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. I started with the two prequels and am on the last book of 7, Foundation And Earth.

It's a pretty good series. The old books are harder to get through since they lack focus and jump ahead a lot. The first book Foundation will introduce you to characters, have an event and boom 100 years later. Asimov is not great at making memorable characters either. However his writing is remarkable and my eyes just rip through the pages. They can be very slow. There was times in Foundation's Edge where it was painful how he'd stop the plot to go over pointless things for entire sections. But overall I quite like the books especially Prelude To Foundation.

• @toms 2 weeks

The first Foundation book was assembled out of a series of short stories; would that explain some of the jumps? That "trilogy" is among my favorite things ever written, up there with Tolkien and Twain. 😀

• @donna  2 weeks

Great to see the thread is still going strong. 😀 Pity it'll vanish when the site is updated this year before February 1st. Oh well. I'll just start another. 😉

Couple of months ago, I read the absolutely fascinating 'There Was a Fire' by Ben Sidran, an American jazz and rock keyboardist.

I'm about to tackle Stephen Sondheim's 'Finishing the Hat' again, now that I've got my new prescription glasses and can actually read the small typeface.

For the life of me, though, I can't imagine why the humungous book (as well as the sequel) was published with the typeface in darkish silver rather than normal, easy-to-read black. Jeez! Bad marketing decision.

• @nikke88 2 weeks

The (Honest) Truth about Dishonesty by Dan Ariely. Interesting topic to read about.

• @jamesstaubes 2 weeks

Been re-reading, "The Inner Game Of Tennis." It's a great book that's about a lot more than tennis. A lot of it applies to music as well.

• @ayehahmur  2 weeks

@mkd Ru is a really, really good writer. I really enjoyed his October Song. It's a thriller set in a war-torn near-future Scotland and is gripping right up to the last page.

• @headfirstonly  2 weeks

Enjoyed "High Weirdness" by Erik Davis - an examination of the visionary inspirations of Terence McKenna, Robert Anton Wilson, and Philip K Dick. And that's inspired me to dig out and re-read RAW's "Cosmic Trigger" trilogy...

• @apertome 2 weeks

Currently reading "Permanent Record" by Edward Snowden ... it's eye-opening, for sure. Not sure whether/how much it might influence my FAWM album this year. If I were to do some sort of dystopian concept album, it might come into play.

I have a couple books that have stuff about fractals, sacred geometry, etc. Those might be interesting if I find time to read them.

OH. Also Scott Russell Sanders' "A Private History of Awe." Read that earlier this year and loved it, could be inspiring musically as well.

• @kirjis  2 weeks

I'm re-reading Ann Leckie's Ancillary-trilogy.
    @johnstaples, how do you find those songwriting books? Can you recommend them?

• @silvermachine  2 weeks

Was it here I said I'd got the complete works of Dickens for 50p?
    Well I'm still reading it and still loving it, and will be sorry to finish it.
    It's funny, my mum and dad always took us to Broadstairs for our summer holiday and it always coincided with their Dickens week, the town being full of people dressed as Dickens characters. (I presume he had lived there). Anyway somehow I went though life managing to avoid his books, till at an advanced age and looking back I was curious what all the fuss was about in the streets of Broadstairs and decided to find out. Best 50p I've ever spent.

• @donna  2 weeks

@kirjis, if you google the names of those songwriting books, they'll pop up. Check out book depository.com as well, as shipping is free. And amazon might have a few used ones at a very low price.

Pat Pattison's 'Writing Better Lyrics' is good as well.

One book I can strongly recommend is 'Songcrafters' Coloring Book' by Bill Pere.

• @paulhenry  2 weeks

"Sapiens," by Yuval Noah Harari

• @tsunamidaily  2 weeks

Concerning the spiritual in art by wassily Kandinsky

• @johnstaples  2 weeks

@kirjis I finished The Addiction Formula but felt like it over promised and under delivered! Seemed like some really good ideas but not fully explained. Maybe I'll read it again.

If I were asked to recommend books on songwriting I would almost always suggest Robin Frederick! https://robinfrederick.com/ Her books are all really good. I'm currently working through her Song Starters book.

• @donna  1 week

@miltz I've just been re-reading the poem you'd mentioned much earlier. Wonderful, wonderful. Thank you. 😀

• @gubna 1 week

I read 17 books last year. A few were music related, mostly art. Victor Wooten Music Lesson is a must read for all musicians or aspiring musicians.

• @johnstaples  1 week

I got a Kindle back in September 2019 for my birthday. I have always shunned the Kindle because I just thought printed books would always be my preference. But now I am Kindle all the way!!! OMG, I have read more books in the past 3 months than I had read in the past 3 years!

Recently Read or In Progress(on Kindle)
    ----------------------------------
    The Stand by Stephen King
    Elevation by Stephen King
    The Institute by Stephen King
    The Outsider by Stephen King
    We Live in Water: Stories by Jess Walter
    1922 by Stephen King
    You Look Like a Thing and I Love You: How Artificial Intelligence Works and Why It's Making the World a Weirder Place by Janelle Shane
    Study the Hits: Learn the Secrets of Today's Chart-Topping Hits by Robin Frederick
    The 30-Minute Songwriter: Write, Develop, Polish & Pitch Your Songs in 30 Minutes a Day by Robin Frederick
    The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression (Second Edition) by Becca Puglisi and Angela Ackerman
    Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth by Rachel Maddow
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl, Harold S. Kushner, William J. Winslade
    Infinity Born by Douglas E. Richards
    American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman
    The Red Knight of Germany: The Story of Baron von Richthofen, Germany's Great War Bird by Floyd Phillips Gibbons

On my Kindle to be read soon
    ----------------------------------
    Answers In Simulation: Simulation Hypothesis as a story by Iurii Vovchenko
    Human Compatible: Artificial Intelligence and the Problem of Control by Stuart Russell
    Those Who Wander: America's Lost Street Kids by Vivian Ho
    The Ultimate Book of Song Starters: 501 Powerful and Creative Ideas for Writing New Songs by Ed Bell
    The 30-Day Speed Songwriting Challenge: Banish Writer's Block For Good in Only 30 Days by Ed Bell
    The 30-Day Music Writing Challenge: Transform Your Songwriting Composition Skills in Only 30 Days by Ed Bell
    Is Real

• @johnstaples  1 week

Is Reality a Simulation?: An Anthology by Antonin Tuynman, Dirk Bruere, Alex Vikoulov, Matt Swayne, Knujon Mapson, Tim Gross, Donald King, Dante Rosati, Sean Byrne, Eva Deli
    Drowning with Others by Linda Keir
    Thin Air by Lisa Gray
    The Simulation Hypothesis: An MIT Computer Scientist Shows Why AI, Quantum Physics and Eastern Mystics All Agree We Are In a Video Game by Rizwan Virk
    The Things you find in Rockpools by Gregg Dunnett
    Letters and Notes on the Manners, Customs and Condition of the North American Indians by George Catlin
    The Last Dance by Martin L. Shoemaker
    Spilled Milk by K.L Randis
    Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling, Anna Rosling Rönnlund, Ola Rosling
    Gutenberg Guide: An introduction to the new editor for WordPress by William Clarkson
    The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee: Native America from 1890 to the Present by David Treuer
    How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy

• @scottlake 1 week

@johnstaples love my kindle paper white. In fact there are probably some books I would not have bothered with due to their weight but of course on the little kindle no problem!

• @scottlake 1 week

Songwriters on Songwriting volume II by Paul Zollo

• @cts  1 week

The Lost History of Liberalism: From Ancient Rome to the 21st Century. A pretty good read, too!

• @konemake 1 week

Some collection of rare short stories by Ursula Le Guin (Pimeälipas, probably only available in this form in Finnish).
    Supercrash by Darryl Cunningham.
    @johnstaples this sounds really interesting:
    The Simulation Hypothesis: An MIT Computer Scientist Shows Why AI, Quantum Physics and Eastern Mystics All Agree We Are In a Video Game by Rizwan Virk

• @johnstaples  1 week

@konemake I have recently become fascinated with this wild idea that we are actually "living" in a very large, very complex computer simulation! Now admittedly, I've not seen sufficient evidence to be able to believe such a thing. But honestly, it makes more sense than all the creation myths believed by so many! Wild!

• @oddbod  1 week

I read a lot - mainly contemporary fiction although I’m currently reading A Parisian Affair and Other Stories by Guy de Maupassant.

These were my favourites from 2019; all cracking good reads...

Love is Blind - William Boyd
    Now We Are Entirely Free – Andrew Miller
    Once Upon a River – Diane Setterfield

• @konemake 1 week

@johnstaples Yes, it reminds me a bit the old Plato's cave, that we can only see shadows of the reality. Of course we could see only shadows if we are really living only inside of virtual reality. 😁 It really would explain perfectly some things, especially related to quantum physics. I've seen this kind of claims in couple of places, but I haven't seen that book yet. Gotta try to read it too.

• @philkmills  1 week

"Red Seas Under Red Skies" by Scott Lynch - Second volume in a series about thieves trying to survive in a world where they seem semi-noble by comparison. Reminds me a little of Fritz Leiber stories I read many decades ago.

"Midnight Riot" and "Moon Over Soho" by Ben Aaronovitch - First two books in a series about a London policeman who is assigned to a division that investigates magic-related crimes. Fairly light and enjoyable due to the humour in the writing style.

• @sw1n3flu  1 week

The subtle art of not giving a f*ck

• @scottlake 1 week

@konemake @johnstaples, Plato’s cave philosophy is reflected in New Testament teaching in Paul’s first letter to the church in Corinth. It talks about how we don’t have a fully clear view of reality, but when we see God face to face the clarity will arrive. I can see a parallel to the idea of vector spaces in Linear Algebra theory, as C.S. Lewis eludes to in “Mere Christianity”. As for living in a computer simulation being more believable than believing in God, that seems to take more faith in abstraction of human or alien ability to deceive than it would to believe in a supreme creator. At least if we have the same definition of what the word ‘believe’ means.

• @johnstaples  1 week

@scottlake, there is insufficient evidence for the computer sim hypothesis so I do not accept it as true (or even likely). I am fascinated by the concept though.

Likewise, there is insufficient evidence for the multitude of creation myths (including the various Christian versions). And I do not accept these as true either.

As for which is more "believable" that debate isn't likely to produce meaningful results. Is Zeus more believable than Thor? Is Wóȟpe more believable than Catequil? Is Moinee more believable than Áine? Is Jesus more believable than any of these?

They are all fascinating stories created by humans to try and explain their world in the absence of better information/evidence.

• @atitlan 1 week

Having recently finished watching the first part of BBCs excellent TV adaptation of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials", I'm currently re-reading the rest of the trilogy "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass" - I've also got the first two parts of "The Book of Dust" to read, but I'm likely to sneak something else in after "The Amber Spyglass". Probably "Aurora" by Kim Stanley Robinson.

• @scottlake 1 week

@johnstaples I was referring to your statement that this computer simulation hypothesis makes more sense than creation ‘myths’. This computer simulation ‘myth’ only make more sense to you because of your background and cultural references.

• @johnstaples  1 week

@scottlake the computer simulation at least has existing evidence of its possibility, admittedly, only very primitive evidence currently. I've watched (and played) sims since the 80s and the improvements are astounding. They are tangible, measurable. They provide evidence of the possibility.

• @scottlake 1 week

@johnstaples read through your reasoning and if you don’t see how you just restated my point with evidence about my point, then no further discussion is beneficial.

• @johnstaples  1 week

@scottlake you are misunderstanding my point. Unlike those who choose a mythology and decide to believe all of its fanciful stories and promises without a shred of evidence, regarding the computer simulation hypothesis, at the beginning of this conversation I stated unequivocally, "I've not seen sufficient evidence to be able to believe such a thing." For more on my opinion check the lyrics to God by John Lennon and simply add "I don't believe in computer simulation hypothesis"! 😁

P.S. If you wanna discuss this further let's start another thread and stop the hijacking of the reading thread! 😁

• @paulhenry  1 week

Just finished "The Winter Soldier," by Daniel Mason. Fairly typical plot, but fascinating historical detail (World War One).
    Just started, "Lincoln in the Bardo," by George Saunders. So far, it's like a novel written in homage to Edgar Lee Masters' "Spoon River Anthology." Beautiful writing.

• @headfirstonly  1 week

Currently on the go: "Principia Discordia" by Malaclypse the Younger, "The Varieties of Religious Experience" by William James, and the SFWA Writers' Cookbook.

Make of that what you will 😀

• @scottlake 1 week

@johnstaples Easy question to answer: 5000 years from now, do you think what you point to as tangible evidence will exist in tangible form to those living 5000 years from now?

• @jamkar  1 week

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene and the H.P. Lovecraft collection of classic tales of cosmic horror.

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

@jamkar -- love the elegant universe. if science reading is your thing, try the moral animal by robert wright. the first third analyzing darwin's life through evolutionary criteria is less than thrilling, but once the book hits the third section, the conclusions he draws make it worth the read. i thoroughly recommend it.

• @konemake 1 week

@headfirstonly
    Excellent reading! Hail Eris! All hail Discordia! 😀

@scottlake @johnstaples
    I think think that if we would be really living in the computer simulation, the "god" would be definately real, probably omnipotent in our simulation world, a personality etc, so for example praying and otherwise trying to do what "god" wants would absolutely make sense.
    Also I believe that in this simulation metaphor the "god" could be actually many different entities: programmer, player, system operator, whatever automated bot program or combination of all these.
    I think also that the "simulation" or "virtual reality" could be something far more complicated than we think. Actually, the "virtual" part could be so good that it becomes real even in the other world where this world was created. 😀

• @johnstaples  1 week

@konemake yes indeed, a simulation would imply a "god"! Unless the original player/god abandoned the simulation long ago. Maybe went extinct and left the sim running on an organic computer? So many fascinating possibilities to ponder.

• @johnstaples  1 week

And perhaps we are in a simulation inside a simulation! (Rick & Morty already pondered this!)

• @scottlake 1 week

Just finished The Truth About Animals by Lucy Cooke. Highly recommended.

• @jamkar  1 week

Thanks @tsunamidaily! Will check it out. I am especially interested in multiverses as well.

• @fuzzy  1 week

And maybe, @johnstaples, yours is the only real consciousness and the rest of us are all just programs in the computer simulation....

• @johnstaples  1 week

Hmmm...maybe yours is the only real consciousness @fuzzy cause that is what the player character might say to an NPC like me! And what is "real" in that context anyway? I'd guess we are all NPCs!

• @mkd  1 week

@ayehahmur that’s ace re Ru Pringle! Glad you like his stuff!

Hello everyone, happy new year! 😍

• @gslade 1 week

If I posted what I'm currently reading it would likely be incorrect by the time you read this. I finish a few books a week, but if you're interested, you can add me on Goodreads here >> https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2...

• @donna  1 week

Well, this is strange. My annual 'What are you reading' thread was only partly eliminated during the re-boot this year. So we can continue where we left off a week ago. 😉 I'm currently reading one of Ru Pringle's books but, to be honest, I'm finding it tedious going. I reckon at least a quarter of the text could be dropped without losing the storyline. However, I do love the descriptions of Scotland.

• @gubna 1 week

A book on Dali. Weird.

• @scottlake 1 week

@donna I slogged my way through Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth November-December 2019 and I estimate 30-40% of that book could have been stricken without any loss of story, character development, etc. I won’t ever read anything by him again. Too much wasted time.

• @roadreg 1 week

Probably like my 7th read-through of Stanislaw Lem's Solaris, as I generally like to do at the start of the year. I think it might be my favourite book ever. It gives me genuine chills.

• @ayehahmur  1 week

@donna Reading is such a personal experience. Sorry to have given you a bum steer in this instance.

• @ayehahmur  1 week

@mkd He's a cracking musician too!

• @frenchcricket 1 week

Lucy Ellmann - Ducks, Newburyport. It lo-o-ng.

Also just finished the audiobook of Record of a Spaceborn Few, which is the third book in Becky Chambers' Wayfarers series.

• @frenchcricket 1 week

@scottlake @johnstaples I also really enjoy how easy it is lugging a Paperwhite around! I'm reading a 1000+ page book which would, in paper form, have no chance of fitting in my handbag

• @vomvorton  1 week

I didn't read much last year so I'm trying to fix that. So far this year I have read:

The Last by Hanna Jameson - fun / bleak post-apocalyptic thriller, not hugely well written but very compelling.

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor - beautifully melancholy, poignant story about a tragedy in an urban street and the effect it had on the residents. I love this guy's writing, very poetic.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie - I watched a bunch of Poirot films over Christmas and thought I should check out one of the books. Engaging mystery, fun characters, sudden lapse into wild anti-semitism somewhere in the middle - the peril of vintage crime fiction, it seems.

I'm sure I'll slow down during FAWM but enjoying being back on the book-wagon!

• @adforperu  1 week

Ashamed to say I barely ever read. However, I am currently reading "Yes Ve-gan!" (yes I know) in an effort to guilt myself into going vegan. Aiming for 1st Feb, but we'll see...

• @barbara  1 week

@vomvorton
    Thanks for pointing out If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor. All you had to say was “very poetic” and I had to go take a peek. Page one was all it took to convince me to plunge in with both feet. Thanks!

• @konemake 1 week

@adforperu Support for going vegan! You can do it! 😀

• @fuzzy  1 week

Hey @roadreg, Solaris is one of my favorite books, as well. I just wish someone would publish a proper English translation, though; the present one is an English translation of a French translation of the original Polish.

• @vomvorton  1 week

@barbara hope you enjoy! This was my second of his books, I also really enjoyed Reservoir 13 last year, which follows the day-to-day goings on in a small town for thirteen years after the disappearance of a local girl. He really has a fascinating way of exploring big events via the small ways they affect everyone around them. Excited to read more from him!

• @tiller2  1 week

Shoe Dog, by Phil Knight (founder of Nike). The Universal Christ, by Richard Rohr. Recently finished The Heart of the Sea: The tragedy of the whaleship Essex, by Nathaniel Philbrick.

• @frenchcricket 1 week

@adforperu did you see that Boris Johnson interview where he pronounced it vegAN. It wasn't the weirdest thing about the interview even.

• @johncrossman  1 week

Lots for me too. Always pleasantly surprised to see books in common here and pick up a recommendation or two. At the moment...

Finding My Elegy - selected poems by Ursula Le Guin
    Summer Lightning in P.G. Wodehouse's Blandings Castle series
    A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Twain
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
    Next up: Ringworld by Larry Nivens

• @roadreg 1 week

@fuzzy Yay, some Solaris love! I seem to remember Lem himself having some qualms with the English translation. I know when I read it for the first time, I thought the opening segment in particular (before the research station) was very awkwardly written.

• @toms 1 week

Ringworld. Awesome. @johncrossman . As for Twain, well, I've read...let's just say, lots. Most favorite author. 😀

• @alonetogether 1 week

I just finished the handmaids tale, and now im about to read the homestuck epilogues and the discworld book soul music on my to-read list

• @tsunamidaily  1 week

just added "more songwriters on songwriting" by paul zollo to my reading of the kandinsky.

• @hornesgiftshop  1 week

Evelyn Waugh & Nancy Mitford - Correspondence.
    John Mernick - Adventures Of Johnny Lovebus (memoir of a road trip that we were both on. I appear as a sour, repressed loner, so thin and pale that another character asks if I have scurvy.)
    Philip Pullman - Northern Lights (daughter's bedtime reading)

• @frenchcricket 1 week

Have finished the Chambers audiobook and have downloaded Olga Tokarczuk's 'Flights'.

• @haim 1 week

"Mindset" by Carol S. Dweck. She's talking about people who have a fixed mindset and people with growth mindset, it's pretty moving and challenging.

@andygetch I read Patti Smith's "Just Kids", was a pleasurable language reading journey for me as my native language is Hebrew and her English is superb..

@jamesstaubes that's interesting. I read a book by a Tennis player, Andre Agassi - "Open" and I found it one of the most inspiring books I've read. His mindset is incredible, the way he grew up, all of the practices regimens his father put on his, and everything that led him to be the best Tennis player of his time. So I can perhaps see what you are talking about when you say that it can be applied with music as well. I recommend it to you if you ever get a chance, it's one of the books that I would recommend to anyone who wants to strive for more.

@gubna that's a great achievement. I also read a lot of books last year, but not like I wanted to, this year I'm planning to read 24 new books.

@sw1n3flu I heard about this book a lot, what do you think of it so far?

• @sync  1 week

I Put a Spell on You: The Bizarre Life of Screamin' Jay Hawkins. I'm sorry to say it seems like he was totally full of shit and kind of a dick. Made me sad and I haven't picked it up in a while...

• @marvsmooth 1 week

I’ve got three things prepared for reading at the moment, which is tricky with a 65 hour working week;

1. Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner by Alan Sillitoe
    2. Elevate by Stephen King
    3. Me by Elton John

One thing I’ve hated over the last few years of changing from on-site security to mobile response is losing the time to do things while I was sat on sites between working, when I did a lot of reading (and music)!

• @gslade 1 week

Has anyone else read the Pine Cove trilogy by Christopher Moore? I'm on part 2, The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. Pretty absurd but fun and entertaining. Reminds me of Chuck Palahniuk.

• @toms 1 week

This week the philosophy reading group I run in our local correctional facility will be starting a collection of readings on political philosophy. Excepts from Plato to Foucault. We just finished inter alia Marcus Aurelius and Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. Also, Zen Flesh, Zen Bones. I generally hate reading groups but these guys know how to critically assess a text like you wouldn't believe. It's wonderful to go back to such rich texts again, esp. in this context. I strongly suspect this will figure into my FAWM. (Apologies for the humble brag 😀 ).

• @scottlake 1 week

Songwriters on Songwriting volume II by Paul Zollo

• @adforperu  6 days

@frenchcricket haha, no! He must be reading it too.

• @donna  6 days

@gslade Yes, I've read the Pine Cove trilogy. Great stuff. Over the years, I think I've read the Lust Lizard at least three times. Moore's other books are good as well.

• @delta214 6 days

Currently reading "The Three Musketeers" and the first witcher book "Blood of Elves".

• @konemake 6 days

Just finished "Mary Wept Over the Feet of Jesus", a graphic novel by Chester Brown, that was... interesting and thought provoking.

• @alyxanderjames  6 days

I’ve been working my way through “Devotions,” an anthology of Mary Oliver’s poetry.

• @johnstaples  6 days

@johncrossman ahhh, Ringworld! Might be time for me to read that again! Maybe a little Frank Herbert (pre-Dune) too!

• @gslade 6 days

@donna I'm on the Stupidest Angel now. Enjoying it so far. Pretty funny. Have you read Doomed or Damned or other Chuck P novels? (Fight Club author)

• @unpronounceable 6 days

So many things, cuz thesis! But main book right now is the body keeps the score by Bessel van Der Kolk. You know, light reading.

• @looprication  4 days

Just finished Someone Who Will Love You In All Your Damaged Glory by Raphael Bob-Waksberg, highly recommended for lovers of the absurd. Before that it was The Last Holiday by Gil Scott-Heron. Currently reading Space Opera. @gslade - I've read a bunch of Chuck's stuff including Damned. Was probably most affected by Haunted. Will have to check out Moore.

• @johnstaples  4 days

@gslade Stupidest Angel is such a fun book!

• @zxcvbnm  4 days

1984 George Orwell but in Spanish.

• @carlos 4 days

Our mathematical universe by Max Tegmark ... I’m forever hooked on cosmology and anything related to the study of the universe ..

• @jamkar  3 days

Applied Mathematics a very short introduction by Alain Goriely. Thought provoking.

• @fuzzy  3 days

I'm presently finishing up "A Brief History of the Roman Empire" by Stephen Kershaw.
    What I'm learning is that it was not a good idea to upset the army or especially your own family members or you're probably gonna get stabbed and thrown in to a sewer.
    The Roman Empire seems to have been a very stabby place.

• @headfirstonly  3 days

@haim My boss at my last job insisted on using Dweck's work heavily in some of the training courses we designed together. It's a lovely idea, but... The problem is that nobody else has managed to replicate her findings, and other studies on students whose learning was subject to mindset-based training interventions have seen no significant effects at all.

@toms The thing with the Ringworld books is: stop after the second one. The first is a classic, the sequel's okay, but by the time I'd waded through the sixth sequel, it was just a mess of retconning to work in plots from Niven's other greatest hits. I think he's on the eighth or ninth sequel now. And I'm still waiting for Amazon's TV series; what happened to that?

I think I'm going to read Finnegan's Wake again, because I read a funny story somewhere online this week about a book club disintegrating into arguments after reading it...

• @toms 3 days

@headfirstonly - I only read the first two, and by that time didn't have much time for fiction of an sort, so...I had no idea that there were so many sequels and prequels and whatnot. 😀

I confess that last week, while waiting for the semester to actually get going and while I should have been reading stuff for that work, I read through the LOTR, which I have read multiple times but last time was maybe 20 years ago. It was most interesting. I still don't understand Tom Bombadil, but he's still my favorite character. Well, maybe Treebeard is. 😀

• @oddbod  2 days

@headfirstonly I've heard that reading Finnegan's Wake is the literary equivalent of self-flagellation 😉
    Treat yourself to Diary of a Nobody instead if you haven't already read it

• @headfirstonly  2 days

@toms The thing I love most about Treebeard is that he's Tolkein taking the piss out of his dear friend C. S. Lewis, who apparently HOOM HOOM spoke like that in real life 😀

@oddbod Will do! (But as an inveterate punster, FW is my sort of bonkers thing. Oh, and Alan Moore references it heavily in his 1600-page magnum opus "Jerusalem" which I read last year...)

• @sailingmagpie  2 days

@gslade Absolutely love Chuck P, so definitely need to read some Moore. Doomed/Damned are both good (and grim!). My favourites are probably Choke, Invisible Monsters and Survivor. Pygmy is quite an out there one too.

• @sailingmagpie  2 days

I've just finished Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut and I've just started Meet Me in the Bathroom by Lizzie Goodman. It's an oral history of New York's post-punk revival scene in the early 2000s - The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Rapture, LCD Soundsystem etc.

• @fuzzy  2 days

@sailingmagpie, I loved "Pygmy". All his stuff is good.
    What a great author.

• @gslade 2 days

@sailingmagpie I laughed my ass off at Pygmy

• @bradbrubaker  2 days

I saw Sleep No More in November which inspired me to read Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. Just getting around to it now.

Recently finished the Ex Machina graphic novel collection. The series started strong and kinda fizzled for me, but should make for a good movie.

• @gslade 1 day

Currently Reading:
    1. Horns - Joe Hill (Audiobook - Overdrive App)
    2. Prey - Michael Crichton (Physical Hardback)
    3. The Frame Up - Meghan Scott Molin (Kindle)

• @haim 1 day

@headfirstonly hi! honestly, the book has helped me so far and I'm only half way through. It motivated me to challenge myself. I see a lot of her examples to be correct even if it's not proven, when she talks about the mindset of Michael Jordan and other athletes for example, and about people failing lots of times before succeeding in something, it really motivated me to try and I feel better now. I don't take so seriously some books that I read and make them my life's purpose, I just take what I can learn from it and move on to the next book usually. I'm interested what did you find wrong or missing with her material? She seems like a nice intelligent woman.

@scottlake do you find it helpful? Would you recommend it to other singer-songwriters?

• @valeriecox  22 hours

The Law Of One: The Ra Material -Super weird stuff. Very interesting.

• @scottlake 20 hours

@haim the first chapter was not very useful, it’s an interview format with Elvis Presley’s songwriters: Lieber and Stoller. They don’t provide any tips and it takes 50 pages to say that they just worked together naturally and wrote songs several in a day. That point is made probably 10 times in the chapter. If the second chapter is similar I will probably put that book on the back burner.

• @scottlake 20 hours

@toms yes Tom Bombadil is my favorite character as well and his deletion from Peter Jackson’s rendering of LOTR was the only big disappointment I had with those movies. The Hobbit movie (I only bothered with the first, which was awful) was a pure money grab with one of the worst and inexcusable CGI mistakes of modern times: the coin movement around Smaug at the end. It was a smelly fart, in a buffet line of cooked cabbage and Limburger cheese.

• @toms 18 hours

@scottlake I agree 110%! 😀

• @gubna 17 hours

This Wheels On Fire, Levon Helm (The Band). Plan to finish it before feb!

• @burrsettles  16 hours

Right now, Edith Hamilton's Mythology.

Probably my best reads of 2019 were the "Broken Earth" trilogy starting with "The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemison

• @owl  14 hours

I will have to go through this whole thread later and add all these to my library wishlist... looks like lots of interesting stuff!

I just started "Universal Harvester" by John Darnielle--I love his songwriting in the Mountain Goats, and so far the book is a pleasure to read. It's the story of a video store clerk in a small town in Iowa in the late 90's whose customers keep coming in and complaining that someone's been taping weird stuff over parts of their movies (scenes of writhing, hooded figures in a barn...)

My parents also sent me a belated Christmas present today, a natural history of milk, that looks pretty interesting.

And I recently finished Philip Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth, the latest in the Book of Dust/His Dark Materials series. It's a good fantasy novel, though more adult and more real-world political than the others in the series = less escapist.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...