The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron

Skip to the bottom

• @scottlake  Jan 7

I THINK someone may have suggested this book FAWM 2018. My kindle tells me I’m 10% through the book. I can say that the author is articulating many of the things that I have found to be true with the practicing of being creative that FAWM has come to mean to me. In fact, the author’s tool she calls ‘the morning pages’ are not unlike the practice of writing our stream of consciousness thoughts that make their way into lyrics. Anyway I’ll be reading this book in January as part of my unblocking of the dam of FAWM. Curious if there are any past or current practitioners of this book here.

• @bradbrubaker  Jan 7

Billy Corgan attributes Siamese Dream to that book.

• @cts  Jan 7

I have a copy of the book. I've had for several years. It's a great read and has helped me in my past endeavors of tearing down creative walls.

• @cts  Jan 7

I have a copy of the book. I've had for several years. It's a great read and has helped me in my past endeavors of tearing down creative walls.

• @andygetch  Jan 7

Seven years ago I went to a songwriting workshop and that was one of the recommended books. I worked through all chapter exercises as I was reading and often do freewriting as a mind dump as well as to generate ideas. Reading the book also inspired me to experiment, paint, and explore other forms of creativity.

• @natrin Jan 9

Received The Artist’s Way for Christmas so I'm reading it this month too 👍

• @sbs2018 Jan 9

I’ve read the whole series - good idea to get back into it to prep for February.

• @nancyrost  Jan 10

I found this book about 15 years ago and got a lot of reinforcement and inspiration from it. I still use many of the tools. Vein of Gold, which I went through this summer, was more intense and very worthwhile too.

• @sbs2018 Jan 11

One thing Julia said that really stuck with me is when trying something new (like learning the piano for her at 54) is that you have to be willing to be a beginner. I remind myself of that when I get frustrated that having started songwriting later in life I have so much to learn. And FAWMers are such great teachers!

• @vikkiflawith Jan 12

Yes. Love the Artist's Way and Julia Cameron. Morning pages, artist's dates... being willing to be 'bad' on the road to being 'good'... helps me get through my days of writing not-so-good-stuff just for the joy of it 😁 I will often pick up my book and just let it fall open somewhere and read a bit. One of the things I liked most about it is that you have to 'do' things in order to progress. And I think that is the key to moving forward 😉

• @darcistrutt  Jan 13

I’m a fan and have read a number of her books. Morning pages are my morning habit now. I’m not good at artist dates. I need to work on that. I’m partway through It’s Never Too Late to Begin Again. This reminds me it would be good to pick that up again.

• @pfoo  Jan 13

I ordered this book based on comments here - I'm not quite through the intro material, but I am excited about this book. For decades I claimed that I was not a creative person, and I was ok with that. Now that I am trying to learn to play instruments and create songs I am having to rethink some things. It's been difficult and also fun. Thanks for sharing - I think this book is going to be very helpful for me 😀

• @kathym  Jan 15

This book was suggested to me some years ago by several people. I have it on my shelf, started working through it once. No doubt it is a very valuable resource. At some point I may pick it up again but I've been working on a different daily writing journal for now.

• @phoenixash Jan 15

@scottlake I have just started reading it and being a spiritual person for most of my life I can honestly say: MY MIND IS BLOWN

• @jessi14  Feb 1

I am currently working through the book and I am loving it.

• @krrisstin Feb 3

Yes! i love this book. I have read it a couple times but never fully worked through all the exercises. Maybe this is a good month to do that. I get in a groove with morning pages every few months and wish I could sustain the habit better.

• @elesimo  Feb 3

@brigetboyle was just telling me about this book yesterday!

• @ggallagher Feb 3

I love that book so much. A few years back I did an online bookclub working thru that book with some improv friends and it was such a cool experience. I did morning pages pretty consistently for several years and fell off and replaced it with a couple other rituals but I swear by a lot of the concepts she presents.

• @brigetboyle Feb 3

This book has and continues to change my life.

• @paulhenry  Feb 3

My mom and I went through the book, oh, must be more than twenty years ago now. We would do our morning pages and check in with eachother.

• @pfoo  Feb 3

@paulhenry I ordered a copy for myself initially, then ordered one for my husband, and one for my son. We are all working through the book now.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...