Rick Beato’s series; What Makes This Song Great?

Skip to the bottom

• @scottlake  Jan 4

Here’s his breakdown of Roundabout: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...

The whole series is fantastic if you like Rock. How he got his hands on so many multi tracks I have no idea but he does a great mix of composition and production analysis on each song.

• @tcelliott  Jan 4

Watching now... Thanks for sharing.

• @tuneslayer2018  Jan 4

Thanks for pointing this out. Youtube recommended the Yes video but frankly I don't always pay much attention to the recommendations, in part because my grandson loves to watch Youtube using my account and now Google is convinced I'm ten years old and obsessed with fart videos.

Which, sadly, is all too close to the truth some days.

• @sph  Jan 4

A channel I watch very often. Inspiring

• @lvgd09  Jan 4

I've always said that the music I grew up with was better than anything in the past 30 years. I was starting to get into rock and roll by age 13 and this song was there along with the other big guitar groups that were popular at the same time as Roundabout, mentioned at the beginning of the video (I watched the entire 22 minutes).

I did enjoy the video and this guy is so much better than I ever could be it kind of discourage me from writing and recording. Look at all the details pointed out in that video. They didn't just make that song up on a good songwriting day in February. They had to craft out a masterpiece that I still enjoy to this day. Must have taken months to record this one song.

Thanks for sharing!

• @jamesstaubes  Jan 8

Rick is great. I like that he's a big Nirvana fan.

• @barrygoldman Jan 10

These are pretty good videos! He has a good way of breaking down the tracks and showing you cool details in songs that you've heard so many times. There are some songs he's done that have been overplayed until I came to hate them, but watching him break them down shows some cool details. It's all good stuff.

• @dasbinky  Jan 10

He's also got some great series outside of the What Makes This Song Great stuff. He talks a lot about theory and modality in a really accessible way, and gets pretty deep into recording methods. His channel is a treasure trove.

• @scottlake  Jan 10

@dasbinky i haven’t ventured into his other stuff yet. I will have to do that. After February 😂

• @sbs2018 Jan 11

Watching now and, yes, @lvgd09 I appreciate the music I grew up with more and more the older I get.

• @jamkar  Jan 16

Interesting topics. Knowledgeable about much of the music scene.

• @cts  Jan 16

My brother put me on to this guy. I love his breakdown of Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.

• @leepat  Jan 16

thanks for the tip @scottlake - looks really interesting

• @sw1n3flu  4 weeks

Rick Beato's channel is awesome.

• @tcelliott  4 weeks

I've watched several of his "what makes this song great" series and most of them are cool.

• @scottlake  4 weeks

I watched a whole show on his opinion of the 20 greatest rock drum sounds of all time last night when I should have been FAWMing. As a result, one of the things I did at work today was listen to King’s X - Dogman album today. Some nasty/heavy riffs there!

• @misterd 4 weeks

He seems very knowlegeable and he REALLY loves the Lydian scale.
    I've watched a few of his videos.A very good teacher and a mine of useful information . Thanks for the recommendation .

• @ellemadelyn 4 weeks

LOL Was literally watching this 10 mins ago Foo Fighters Everlong and System of the Down Chop Suey

• @ustaknow 4 weeks

"Yes", 😉 I like this fellow.

That video, made me remember that concert Yes - Fragile, madison square garden, nyc a few years after it's release, '75ish. That was the concert I, -- no one could hear. I brought someone else to see them and stayed for them (and my last concert there ever). They just would not turn up the Volume, the crowd would not settle down (very loud, hard to believe, but it was) and with, *flaming Programs flew constantly through the air, an occassional beverage and snack, or just a few Programs bundled and lite on fire and chucked from above, and -- vomit, grass and mayhem in general.

-- And, it was a "Yes" concert, - why?

Anyway, that song give me a flash back (so to speak, 100% sober that night) - I wish *this guy existed *then. I wore out a krappey Turn Table "lifting the needle" on many songs trying to understand what was going on. Back then, as I remember it, no one was *explaining (ANYTHING), and that you'll NEVER get that sound and here's why 😝 We just (i) wondered what the heck was going on. ... Sears guitar, sears stereo and little fender vibro champ.

However too, that is why I then, --- just want to learn how to play the instrument, not "a song"; and other than being "taught" guitar ? by being shown a song ? (yeah, right) - I never covered music... well until this Rocktober 2018 ... ... it has merit 😝 if you re-do-it your way.

Anyway, this guy, -- he gives you NO excuses to develop your own sound from any you may hear that gives you a chubby.

Well... imo 😀

• @scottlake  4 weeks

I want to know how he gets his hands on all those isolated tracks!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...