Upcoming Filk Conventions

Skip to the bottom

• @tuneslayer2018  2 weeks

I wanted to draw people's attention to two filk conventions happening on opposite ends of the country in the next few weeks leading up to FAWM:

GAFILK -- held in Atlanta, Georgia January 11-13. Information is available at gafilk dot org

CONFLIKT -- held in Seatac, Washington (across the street from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport) January 25-27. Information available at conflikt dot org (URLs obscured so the admins don't think I'm spamming)

What is "filk", you ask? It started out as folk-style music made by science fiction fans about their favorite books and movies and TV shows, much like people write fan fiction or draw fan art. However, it has grown and expanded to be more of a participatory musical genre, where people write and perform songs on a wide variety of topics. Some filkers have gained reputations in the world at large; Frank Hayes, for instance, wrote a song used as wake-up music for the astronauts on a Space Shuttle mission, and Tom Smith wrote a semi-official theme song for Talk Like A Pirate Day.

I find filk conventions to be great fun; I get to hang out with musicians who share some of my non-musical interests, and I tend to come away ready to write and perform more songs. I'll be at Conflikt -- if you see me there, say hello!

• @ericdistad  2 weeks

Hey @tuneslayer2018 - no worries - you can post the URLs. If it's an issue, we can always move the thread to Other Helpful Sites and Orgs. 😀

BTW - I will probably see you at ConFlikt! 😀

• @pearlmanhattan  2 weeks

I wish I could attend conflict but I have no childcare and cannot afford the tickets or parking. Have a good time for me. It is also my birthday weekend.

• @tuneslayer2018  2 weeks

Well happy birthday @pearlmanhattan , hope it's a good one.

@ericdistad I hope so! Maybe we should see if there are any other FAWMers there this year.

• @tawny249  1 week

I would have loved to go to Conflikt. It is sadly not in my budget. 😞 I hope you have an awesome time though.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...