January Practice Month

Skip to the bottom

• @ericdistad  Jan 2

Hey all - A couple years ago, a few Fawmers (me included) dedicated ourselves to practicing music type things for a set amount of time every day for the entire month of January.

This made a fantastic warm-up for FAWM. The year that I did it, it was my most prolific year to date.

Anyway, there's a few folks on Facebook that are taking on this challenge for this year. If you are on Facebook, you can check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/19299...

If you aren't on Facebook, it's still a worthwhile goal. So I propose, if you want to take on this challenges, post here.

• @edwardsmusic Jan 2

I literally had never heard of this challenge until stumbling upon this thread. Thanks for the information.

• @tcelliott  Jan 2

I posted on FB, but I did about 2 hours of drum practice (and a bit more of tomfoolery) today. I'm not a bit better than before but at least I practiced.

• @andygetch  Jan 2

Yes I certainly need more practice!

• @ianuarius  Jan 2

I am somewhat obsessed with correct way of practicing (I've written an unpublished book about it) so here's the best tip for it...

* People typically aim for the correct sound and ignore everything else.
    * They don't care how tense their body is as they execute moves.
    * Practice really isn't about correct sound.
    * Practice is about looseness of body.
    * The more loose your body is when you execute the right sound, the more skilled you are.

So aim for LOOSENESS. Aim for getting rid of all tension.

• @tcelliott  Jan 2

To your point, Ianuarius, that's part of what I was working on yesterday. Doing 16th note fills on all three toms at full speed is impossible if you tense up even a little bit. With most instruments it's hugely helpful to relax. With drumming it's nearly required.

• @courtneyrae Jan 2

I'm going to attempt to do an hour of singing practice everyday. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos by singing coaches and I've definitely went from being completely awful to not half bad. But my voice control is not anywhere close to 100% yet, its not even close to 30% yet to be honest, so i keep slipping from my good singing voice to my usual (terrible) singing voice. Hopefully this will help my muscle memory enough to not have to worry about that by the time fawm begins so i wont have to spend too much time recording and re-recording my demos.

• @cairobraga  Jan 3

due to lack of money and other commitments, I had to stop taking singing classes in person. so I bought an online vocal training course on Udemy and plan to start studying next week, along with PianoForAll, which I also bought on Udemy. as a bonus, my dad gifted me a "music theory for electronic musicians" also on udemy. so shame on me if I don't study! I need to surpass my untrained musician status.

• @ampersandman  Jan 3

@ianuarius That is great advice, never thought about this, but it sounds totally valid.

• @torniojaws  Jan 4

Certain type of sounds do require tension. If you play them relaxed, they don't sound quite the same 😀 This is most noticeable on string instruments.

• @ianuarius  Jan 4

@torniojaws What type of sounds do you mean?

• @torniojaws  Jan 4

@ianuarius Palm muted notes, staccatos, faster downstrokes, pinch/artificial harmonics, big crescendos, "djents" (inverted muted power chords played in a very specific way that create a kind of metallic high harmonics on top of the basic tone)

• @ianuarius  Jan 4

I can't say that i agree, but then again, i also can't say that i know everything.

• @johnstaples  Jan 4

I think I perform better when "loose" after a couple of drinks but that may just be the liquor talking!

• @tuneslayer2018  Jan 4

Any chance we can do some practicing over here? I'm one of those reprobates who doesn't do Facebook.

• @yam655 Jan 4

I can get behind this. I guess I sort of did this last year, when I was aiming at doing a "3in10" every day in January. This year I'll be practicing my kalimba.

• @lemonstar Jan 4

@ianuarius I condensed the experience of over 1000hrs of swimming over 3yrs into the my advice for swimming better as "make it beautiful" - there are too many points of technique to address simply but thinking about the beauty of your movements is as good a guide as any but at the root of that, to move beautifully through the water - the most important thing to aim for is to be relaxed - to have control over your breathing, to be able to finely control how much along the line between comfort and being aerobically taxed you are, by controlling your pace, your cadence (the rate at which you move your arms and legs) - so relaxation is. imho, incredibly important, especially for swimmers like myself, who are interested in huge distances, not speed.

• @darcistrutt  Jan 5

This has been great for me. Even ten minutes per day is more than I’ve done in quite some time. Other than Christmas Eve. I’m working through a lesson book and that’s been eye opening. Normally I just do more rehearsing of what I already know. Pushing to expand has been awesome for me!

• @majordanby  Jan 5

My best advice isn’t to call it or see it as practice as it makes it feel like a chore. I never practice, I play.

If you make it fun and you’ll want to do it more.
    That is why I find rehearsing for playing live difficult as I start getting bored of playing the same songs.

FAWM is amazing for that. Write a song, move on. (Sometimes if I don’t tab what I’ve done I go back and have no idea how to play a song I’ve written)

• @tiller2  Jan 5

I'm on board for daily practicing/playing of guitar, as well as piano, which I haven't played ambitiously since I was 12 or so. Over the holiday, I started playing simple piano arrangements and found it surprisingly fun, and I need some different approaches to songwriting from the usual guitar progressions.

• @scottlake  Jan 6

Singing real loud in the car on the way to/from work!

• @ryuu Jan 8

I'm mostly avoiding Facebook these days, but I'm seriously trying to practice every day... without making it feel too much like a chore. I even came up with a fun little challenge: https://rootsandengines.wordpress.com...

• @barbara  Jan 8

@ryuu
    I just read your daily prompts so far. Very engaging with a sense of exploration, and also manageable. I've bookmarked so I can follow the rest. Thanks for sharing them here.

• @nikke88  Jan 8

@torniojaws I understand what you mean.

Like "Angel of Death" by Slayer. It doesn't sound smooth at all, but it sounds just right.

• @chipwithrow  Jan 8

I decided to check in to see if the forums were getting active yet. I enjoyed reading this thread - I've also been following the Facebook group, but not posting much.
    I do something musical pretty much every day, and most days I'd call what I do practice. But I don't have a set time of day or amount of time - I imagine it averages out to at least 20-30 minutes a day.
    When I was a kid it was piano practice after school for at least a half hour, and since I don't have my parents or a teacher telling me to do that anymore, I think I'd have to find a teacher or coach to make me accountable like that again (sort of like my personal trainer - I wouldn't work out as hard or as regularly if not for him).

• @sbs2018 Jan 10

I’m a big fan of the #deletefacebook movement, but I love all the ideas I’ve read here. I think that’s part of being totally present where you are. I’ve also found that the secret to doing many things well is to relax. I do need to up my keyboard and vocal practice or play time. This is so inspiring - thanks for posting here.

• @kathym  Jan 11

I didn't realize this discussion was also going on here. Once the site is back up, I'll probably just focus on posting here rather than fb. It's not worth posting twice and, besides, I want to focus on fawming.

• @jendistad  Jan 14

I'm in. Strangely, I'm not being very good about getting music time in every day, but I am managing my daily goal if you average my total time playing so far this month. 😉

• @jamkar  Jan 14

I am finding that I practice too fast. So, slowing down, so I get all the proper positioning down.

• @ianuarius  Jan 16

Here's my guide to effortless playing. It's quite unedited, so if you have feedback, lemme hear it.
    http://ia-music.com/Guitar%20Technica...

• @kissinginpublic  Jan 16

I started learning piano over Christmas. Hoping I can bash out some chords at least for Feb....

• @paulhenry  Jan 30

Wish I'd found this thread sooner!

• @gubna Feb 1

I practiced a lot more this month because of this thread.

Thank you!!

• @tuneslayer2018  Feb 1

Poo. I missed out on this. On the other hand I went to a filk (science fiction/geeky music) convention over the weekend and I cranked out two pretty good songs, so I figure the pump is primed.

If I weren't so honest I'd consider posting "Caveman Calypso" as my first song. Even so, if I manage to make it to 14 songs I might post it as a bonus track. I mean, they do that with albums, right?

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...