suggestion: an easier way to converse

Skip to the bottom

• @rustyp  Feb 2018

Hey folks, first, this web site is AWESOME! but ...... It's really a pain in the butt to have to go back to a persons soundboard to respond to a message they left on your soundboard.
    So, I would like to suggest some sort of system to have a conversation thread between two or more fawmers.
    This should be more "private" than the forums, or is not meant to litter the forums.

anyway, thanks for the great work you've already done! 😀

• @jamkar  Feb 2018

50/90 does have a privacy feature on your soundboard. I would love to see a groups messaging function, say with my watchlist. I think most folks fall back on fb and email.

• @lemonstar Feb 2018

I like that suggestion. I can imagine responding privately to comments on songs or in the forum and starting more "authentic" conversations than you sometimes get with comments in the forums and on songs.

• @tcelliott  Feb 2018

Email, slack chat, and if you get to know them very well, there is always texting. Yes, it's not for the random conversation, but...

Seriously, though. Instead of hitting reply, you just hit their nickname and it takes you to their soundboard. The only drawback is that you don't see the whole conversation in front of you. But, in my opinion, something like this is WAY down on the list of features I'd like to see implemented by the volunteers who run the site. Good idea, just not sure the reward is worth the effort.

• @andygetch  Feb 2018

agree with @tcelliott on other communication options. This website has worked smooth for the purpose of posting songs. To me, even comments and this forum is a bonus. In the past, added features have sometimes meant jittery operations or untimely crashes. Thankfully, 'FAWM is down' is not an issue this year. There also is a Facebook group and a few other splinter webpages that you can find in the forums.

• @oddbod  Feb 2018

@rustyp blimey, if that’s a “real pain in the butt” you got to wonder how you made it out of bed this morning to cope with the Herculean task of switching on the computer, opening up the browser and typing out your post 😉

• @johnstaples  Feb 2018

@rustyp you are right of course! It is completely counter-intuitive to have conversations split up like this and in fact it discourages on-going conversations. Plus, every year a whole new group of FAWMlings have to be told about this "feature" and told how they are doing it wrong by using the reply functionality on their soundboards.

BUT, the site is free to use and only a very small percentage of FAWMers even donate the minimum requested so there is not much in the way of resources available to add or fix website features. And once you get used to it...it is not so bad! 😁

• @brrrse  Feb 2018

usually people have an email link on their soundboard, and I find email is a great way to converse offsite.

• @rustyp  Feb 2018

Well @oddbod  seems like I hit a nerve. It was just a suggestion and I did my best to acknowledge the GREAT work that has already been done on this excellently free resource.

@brrrse  and @johnstaples thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly edit my profile to include more ways to contact me.
    I think @tcelliott  and others nailed it though. It would be nice to see running conversations, and incourage even more direct interaction.

Anyway, I apologize for ruffling feathers, and go give my donation now. 😀

• @oddbod  Feb 2018

@rustyp nah, I was just poking a bit of fun at you that’s all, hence the winking smiley

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...