Nap time got me wondering...

Skip to the bottom

• @nerdjealous  2 weeks

Why is relaxing music jarring?? Like it's just as jarring as jumpy music, yt it's labeled as relaxing??

Can anyone recommend any actual relaxing music? Chers

• @wylddandelyon 2 weeks

I think what's relaxing or jarring depends on the person, and sometimes that changes even for the person in question.

• @fuzzy  2 weeks

I've always found Brian Eno a good go-to.
    Try this on for size.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTPyRXUKc

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

Hmmm, yes, well, I think it's going to be a pretty personal thing.

Some folks just like "white noise" so all the little bumps in the night are covered over. Some run a fan, or as you can imagine, white noise, streams/water, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NW44FWW/

If can find this, - usually quite expensive, gave it a try at the $80 mark down from much higher from years past and far smaller. I got it to use as backing to other instruments, - you don't even really "hear" it, (I do), but it's there.

Anyway, using the mallets and "jammnig" with it, Triads and etc., I put myself to sleep and woke up from it sliding off my leg.

But, I fall asleep playing guitar and when wake up, continue where I left off, so, likely any do re me... at low volume, bass tones puts me out.

I think the "noodling" non-pattern and slow up/down back/forth with no mid-point musical climax is part of it.

• @johnstaples  2 weeks

@nerdjealous said "Can anyone recommend any actual relaxing music? Chers"

Hmmm, I don't find Cher's music relaxing at all!

• @danvaillancourt  2 weeks

Marconi Union - Weightless
    Ian Hawgood & Danny Norbury - Faintly Recollected

Those are some of two of the favorite "relaxing" albums in our house. Let me know what you think.

• @nerdjealous  2 weeks

@fuzzy yes this is what I'm thinking about as not jarring! I'll check out the other suggestions, too...
    @johnstaples oh gosh, I actually found Believe relaxing last time I heard it, like meeting an old friend from back in the day! 😁 But I do think asking a Taxi driver for a ride was a little unsettling, especially when I heard it in my adolescent brain 😁
    @danvaillancourt oooo.... oooo! (got Weightless on now.....) liking this pulse its got going on in the first track! this is what I was also thinking of, a simple drone effect that has many interlocking layers that I'm yet to discover more of - good suggest! 😁
    @ustaknow aww man ive always wanted to mess about with one those drums - problem is theyre a bit expensive for 'milkshake money' 😝 cheers tho, ill check what can be done with these again

• @fuzzy  2 weeks

Well @nerdjealous, if you liked that Eno, try this out.
    My CD of "Discreet Music" (this YouTube track is side two of that album) lived in my daughter's room when she was a baby. She couldn't fall asleep without this playing every night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYAK5_RfGj8

• @nerdjealous  2 weeks

@fuzzy ahhh it seems you've suggested a less jarring track than the ones i listened to, but this is busy in the jarring scale. theres a lot going on in this, i think ive found my tolerance level at this time, as @wylddandelyon stated, to be less accepting of this track. i know its beautiful and it feels right for relaxation and contemplation, though the other Eno I've heard such as his piano with reverb stuff (like your other track) is closer to the mark
    sweet story about your daughter, @fuzzy id like to think she has a place in her heart for this track

• @tcelliott  2 weeks

Too busy? Have you tried white noise? Or the sound of rain?

• @jwhanberry  2 weeks

I read or heard somewhere that it has to do with volume. Over a certain volume is stimulating but below it is relaxing. I have found this to be true. It's like background music or forgtround music.

• @johnstaples  2 weeks

I sometimes listen to my own music as I go to sleep and lately I am having a very interesting result. First, let me say I fall asleep instantly. I think I have on-demand narcolepsy!

But occasionally I will find myself in a dream and someone in the dream is playing and singing one of my songs! And I am always surprised and sometimes I will approach them and tell them I am the writer!

But I have realized it is because I have gone to sleep and my dream is synced with my iPod playing in my ears! This has happened about a dozen times in the past few months.

So, I have a new plan. I'm going to record myself reading a story or maybe creating one and then play it as I sleep to see if I can program my dreams!

Wow, I have an exciting life, right?

• @sph  1 week

@johnstaples brilliant idea: just don't set your player on random or shuffle mode.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...